PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Ways to "see" around corners and/or through solid objects

Red Bear
2013-11-03, 12:02 PM
I have a character with two arcane archer class features (seeker arrow and phase arrows) that allow me to hit enemy around corners and through solid objects, but I need to know where my target is. Therefore I am looking for feats, spells and items that grant me stuff like tremorsense, x-ray vision, echolocation and similar abilities.

Since I am an archer, range is important, while is not important to have permanent effect since I would need this ability only when shooting this specific arrows few times per day.

Ideally something activated as swift action that granted the ability for 1 round few times per day would be perfect. But feel free to show me any permanent object you know or any other idea.

Ravens_cry
2013-11-03, 12:37 PM
Research your own version of See through Stone (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/s/see-through-stone)? Conversely, get a wand of it.

Ninjaxenomorph
2013-11-03, 12:52 PM
Gloves of Reconnaissance.

Ravens_cry
2013-11-03, 01:13 PM
Good for, well, reconnaissance, but not really helping an archer much.

Spore
2013-11-03, 01:24 PM
How about Sneak? Just make a check to look around the corner and then shoot.

Dr. Cliché
2013-11-03, 01:49 PM
How about a window? :smallbiggrin:

Red Bear
2013-11-03, 02:59 PM
Research your own version of See through Stone (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/s/see-through-stone)? Conversely, get a wand of it.

This seems a nice spell, but I have two questions about it:
1.What is Paizo Peripheral? Is it usually considered "standard" or is it usually considered more like homebrew/third party?
2. "Duration: concentration up to 1 round/level" this means that I need to stay concentrate to benefits from this spell, can I shoot an arrow while concentrating on a spell?

They would be perfect, if I didn't need my hands to shoot an arrow. Still, it is a very nice item considering the small price and I can use them to see the target and then shoot. Thank you.

How about Sneak? Just make a check to look around the corner and then shoot.
It's a bit low magic but it's a useful tactic. Thank you

Ravens_cry
2013-11-03, 03:10 PM
This seems a nice spell, but I have two questions about it:
1.What is Paizo Peripheral? Is it usually considered "standard" or is it usually considered more like homebrew/third party?
2. "Duration: concentration up to 1 round/level" this means that I need to stay concentrate to benefits from this spell, can I shoot an arrow while concentrating on a spell?

1. Paizo Peripheral means it's not from the Core rulebook while still being Official Paizo Material.
2. I didn't notice the concentration part. Dang, since concentration is a standard action.

Callin
2013-11-03, 03:42 PM
Get the Gloves, figure out how much it would be to turn it into spectacles and then figure out how much it would be to make it ranged and not touch. Should not be that much more expensive.

Psyren
2013-11-03, 07:05 PM
Clairvoyance would work, but that's not very easy to use in combat. Ditto Prying Eyes or similar. But if you have time to set up you could do something like that.

Ravens_cry
2013-11-03, 08:11 PM
Get the Gloves, figure out how much it would be to turn it into spectacles and then figure out how much it would be to make it ranged and not touch. Should not be that much more expensive.
That really adds to its utility immensely. I am not sure how one would balance that cost wise.

Bruenin
2013-11-03, 08:47 PM
From Dragon #297

Master of the Secret Sound

You can use sound to Add you class level to AC as a deflection bonus, stun enemies, add 1d6 sonic damage to every spell, make anything within 30 feet translucent and once you get even higher, you can speak the secret sound that lets you replicate ANY spell 9th level or lower and you can also use sound to shift through walls.

It's a 10 level PrC with 6 levels of spellcaster progression.

You can also use sound to disintegrate items and dominate monsters and to increase save DC's by 1.

The BAB only goes up to 5 for the progression.

EDIT: I just noticed this was a pathfinder thread :/ i'm sorry

Bhaakon
2013-11-04, 03:14 AM
I think this solution is either incredibly stupid or brilliant...

Unseen servant + 10 gp steel mirror

Maybe pick up a lesser metamagic rod of Reach Spell for longer ranges.

avr
2013-11-04, 03:37 AM
Tremor Boots give you 20' tremorsense for 10k gp. I know, range matters, but at least it doesn't take any action. A level in the Aegis class gives you a suit which may have 30' tremorsense.

A Ring of X-ray Vision is a little better than tremorsense but costs much more than the boots.

Something like stone shape could make a peephole too small to shoot thru but possibly enough to locate enemies. Similarly invisibility will sometimes be capable of making a block in a wall transparent.

Firest Kathon
2013-11-04, 04:35 AM
A wizard who specializes in the Divination (Scryer) (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/wizard/arcane-schools/paizo---arcane-schools/classic-arcane-schools/divination/scryer) school gains Clairvoyance as a 3+Int/day spell-like ability at 1st level. Unlike the spell it's only line-of-sight, but it's good to spy around corners.

IIRC there is a feat to gain the powers of a Sorcerer bloodline, but I don't know if there is anything comparable for Wizard schools, so you might not be able to get it without a 1-level dip into Wizard.

Callin
2013-11-04, 09:51 AM
That really adds to its utility immensely. I am not sure how one would balance that cost wise.

Just a rough estimate and I do mean rough.

Changing it from Gloves to Spectacles does not really call for a price increase.
Its 1k to make for a 3rd level spell for 10 rds a day. Add on Spectral Hand to make it ranged. thats a lvl 2 spell at 10 rds a day (using the same lol math that Pazio used) should be around 750gp. Double that since its a secondary effect makes it 1500. Added all up thats 2.5k doubled for buying it comes out to about 5k estimated value.

Not a bad little trinket.