PDA

View Full Version : Spellbane (WIP) (PEACH) [Advice Welcome]

UmpteenthDoctor
2013-11-03, 01:54 PM
Note
I am aware that some of the abilities need working, and I am sure the chart is a little messy this is my first attempt at anything like this and I have a true idea in mind but I am having a bit of trouble getting there.

Spellbane

http://dc226.4shared.com/img/_a7pb6HS/s7/13da2ab1d60/lux_spellthief.png

”Your magic is my might, I am one to strong to fight.”

The bane of spellcasters arcane and divine, the Spellbane has trained their whole lives to equalize those who wield the power to turn the world to their will with those who cannot. The skill and training in the magical arts allows the Spellbane to both relate, identify, and if need be eliminate those whom might abuse the great magical arts.

Adventures: Why your class might adventure. The Spellbane travel to not only remove the taint of the evil magics from the world but those whom are inclined might actually be spreading the darkness themselves. The Spellbane are wild cards, their only true goal is to themselves and to their beliefs. Adventuring gives them access to the great magical powers that they desire, and chance for plenty of fame and fortune.

Characteristics: The Spellbane is often confused for the Rogue or Warlock, gladly blending into those misconceptions to better allow for their own ends. The Spellbane is best suited for combating Spellcasters, though with the absence of those casters the Spellbane himself can cast a small portion of spells, as well as craft items of the spells he has stolen the essence of from others.

Alignment: Spellbane fall under any alignment, most however are some form of Neutral.

Religion: Spellbane common worship the gods of magic as well as revere the gods of trickery, skill, and fortune. The Spellbane can belong to any religion overall.

Background: Those who strive to become Spellbane are often times victims of abusive uses of magic. These survivors endeavor to prevent such abuses from happening again. Often times these are warriors of a god of magic who believes the uses of such magic needs to be stopped. However not all are sent on a mission from god. Some believe this is just what needs to happen to keep a balance with those whom can warp the world to their will all to easily.

Races: N/A

Other Classes: While relating well to most of the hybrid classes such as the Ranger, Bard, etc the Spellbanes are often looked upon with mistrust by those whom consider themselves full casters such as Wizard, Clerics, and Druids. Rogues and Warlocks are often times simply annoyed that the Spellbane is mistaken for one of their own.

Role: The Spellbane fits the roll of a Hybrid Spellcaster, light rogue work such as trap detection and disabling, but mostly the Spellbane's forte is handling those whom wield the magical arts.

Adaptation: How a DM might change your class to fit into their campaign or unique world setting.

GAME RULE INFORMATION
Spellbane's have the following game statistics.
Abilities: The Spellbane's primary casting ability score is Charisma and this is followed closely by Intelligence due to their keen intellect and skill required to fight the spellcasters.
Alignment: What alignments are available to your class are listed here. "Any" is a possibility.
Hit Die: d6 (PF d8)
Starting Age: As Cleric
Starting Gold: As Cleric

Class Skills
The Spellbane's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are...
[3.5] Appraise (Int), Bluff (Cha), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Knowledge (All skills, taken individually) (Int), Listen (Wis), Search (Int), Spellcraft (Int), Spot (Wis), Use Magic Device (Cha)

If Using Psionics add Autohypnosis (Wis), Psicraft (Int), Knowledge (Psionics) and Use Psionic Device (Cha) to the list above.
[PF] All PF associated skills with the 3.5 Above.

Skill Points at First Level: (4 + Int modifier) x 4
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 4 + Int modifier

CLASS NAME
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|0 Level|1st Level|2nd Level|3rd Level|4th Level|5th Level|6th Level

1st|
+0|
+2|
+0|
+2|Spellburn, Spell Essence, Counter Spell, Spell Resistance|
3|
1|
-|
-|
-|
-|
-

2nd|
+1|
+3|
+0|
+3|Force of Personality, Magical Know-how, Bonus Feat|
4|
2|
-|
-|
-|
-|
-

3rd|
+2|
+3|
+1|
+3|Spell Target Focus|
4|
3|
-|
-|
-|
-|
-

4th|
+3|
+4|
+1|
+4|Mystical Skill|
4|
3|
1|
-|
-|
-|
-

5th|
+3|
+4|
+1|
+4|Touch of Disruption, Bonus Feat|
4|
4|
2|
-|
-|
-|
-

6th|
+4|
+5|
+2|
+5|Spell Target Focus|
5|
4|
3|
-|
-|
-|
-

7th|
+5|
+5|
+2|
+5|Essence Fuel|
5|
4|
3|
1|
-|
-|
-

8th|
+6/+1|
+6|
+2|
+6|Touch of Draining, Bonus Feat|
5|
4|
4|
2|
-|
-|
-

9th|
+6/+1|
+6|
+3|
+6|Spell Target Focus|
5|
5|
4|
3|
-|
-|
-

10th|
+7/+2|
+7|
+3|
+7| Essence Fuel|
5|
5|
4|
3|
1|
-|
-

11th|
+8/+3|
+7|
+3|
+7|Essence Adept, Bonus Feat|
5|
5|
4|
4|
2|
-|
-

12th|
+9/+4|
+8|
+4|
+8|Spell Target Focus|
5|
5|
5|
4|
3|
-|
-

13th|
+9/+4|
+8|
+4|
+8|-|
5|
5|
5|
4|
3|
1|
-

14th|
+10/+5|
+9|
+4|
+9|Essence Fuel, Bonus Feat|
5|
5|
5|
4|
4|
2|
-

15th|
+11/+6/+1|
+9|
+5|
+9|Spell Target Focus|
5|
5|
5|
5|
4|
3|
-

16th|
+12/+7/+2|
+10|
+5|
+10|-|
5|
5|
5|
5|
4|
3|

17th|
+12/+7/+2|
+10|
+5|
+10|Essence Fuel, Bonus Feat|
5|
5|
5|
5|
4|
4|

18th|
+13/+8/+3|
+11|
+6|
+11|Spell Target Focus|
5|
5|
5|
5|
5|
4|

19th|
+14/+9/+4|
+11|
+6|
+11|-|
5|
5|
5|
5|
5|
5|

20th|
+15/+10/+5|
+12|
+6|
+12|Bonus Feat|
5|
5|
5|
5|
5|
5|
5[/table]

Class Features
All of the following are class features of the Spellbane.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency:
Spellbanes are proficient with all Simple Weapons. Light as well as shields (Except Tower Shields).

Spells:
A spellbane casts arcane spells , which are drawn from the spellbane spell list. Like other spellcasters, a spellbane can cast only a certain number of spells of each spell level per day. Unlike Druids, Wizard, or Clerics they do not prepare their spells ahead of time. His base daily spell allotment is given on Table above: The Spellbane. In addition, he receives bonus spells per day if he has a high Charisma score (see Table 1–1: Ability Modifiers and Bonus Spells, page 8).

To prepare or cast a spell, a spellbane must have a Charisma score equal to at least 10 + the spell level (Cha 10 for 0-level spells, Cha 11 for 1st-level spells, and so forth). The Difficulty Class for a saving throw against a cleric’s spell is 10 + the spell level + the spellbane’s Charisma modifier.

Unlike most spellcasters who cast arcane spells the spellbane does this by casting them as Divine Spells.

Spell Resistance (Su)
Spellbanes have an innate resistance to magic. The Spell Resistance is equal to 6+Class Level+Charisma Modifier. If your Cha modifier + any other racial or inherent spell resistance is higher, use this instead.

Force of Personality (Ex)
The Spellbane's personality and sense of self is so strong it strengthens all aspects of himself. This allows the Spellbane to add his Charisma Modifier bonus to his Saves.

Magical Know-how (Ex)
The Spallbane have the ability to use Detect Magic and Read Magic at-will.

Spellburn (Sp)
The Spellbane attacks his enemies with the magical essence within himself as a standard action with this ranged touch attack. At 1st level and every even level after 1st adds an additional 1d6 of damage to this magical attack. The spellburn is a ray with a range of 30 ft + 10 ft per class level.

If the Spellbane uses the Spellburn effect they can elect to reduce the number of d6s used for damage. The amount of d6s removed is the number of spell slots the attacked caster loses. The Spellbane and the target spellcaster makes opposing spellcraft checks, if the spellcraft check succeeds the spell slots are treated as extended and cannot be used till the spellcaster has spent their normal amount of time resting to regain expended spell slots.

Any spell prepared in those slots are added to the Spellbane's Spell Essence Known list even if they exceed the level capable for the Spellbane to cast and do not exist on the Spellbane Spell List. If the Spellburn is used on a spontaneous caster such as a Sorcerer then the spells added to the Spellbane's Spell Essence Known list are randomly drawn from the Sorcerers spell known list.

Spell Essence (Ex)
The Spellbane has access to a secondary spell list composed entirely of the spells he has used with spellburn or touch of absorbing. He cannot use these abilities for any other function except to power his counter spell ability.

Counter Spell (Su)
When the Spellbane is the direct target of a spell, currently within the area of effect of a spell, is within line of sight of the spell cast and within range of the Spellburn touch attack (30ft+10ft per class level) the Spellbane may choose to use a Counter Spell.

The counter spell ability allows the spellbane to make use of the spell essence known list. If the spellbane possesses a spell on his spell essence known list or his spell list, the spellbane can make a counter spell action. This action is an immediate action at 3+Cha/day and can be performed but invokes attacks of opportunity.

The Spellbane uses their selected save (This is the same save type as the spellburn is using that day) and makes an opposition roll against the targeted spell caster. If the caster fails their save their spell is negated though still expended for that day. No effect happens to the spell slot other then normal expended condition.

Spell Target Focus (Su)
At 3rd level the spellbane can select to focus on a specific kind of caster class, with multiple target focuses on the same class the spellbane gains higher degrees of focus as seen below.

Upon taking this focus the Spellbane gains his Int modifier to his opposition rolls used with the Counter Spell and Spellburn effects on the selected class type.

When the same class is picked a second time the spellbane gains the effect of an at-will aura-like ability. This ability functions as follows: With the spellbane at its epicenter the aura reaches out to cover an area of 20 ft +10 ft per class level. When an caster enters this effected area the spellbane can choose to force a spellcaster to make an adaptive save check of 20+Spell Level+the spellbane's charisma modifier to overcome the effects of the aura. If the spellcaster makes this save then they can cast their spell normally. The Spellcaster must make an additional save for each attempt to cast a spell or use a spell like ability. At this level the spellbane also gains the ability to use up a spell slot to increase the DC of all saves against their spells and abilities by the level of that spell slot used.
* Note Spellcaster not Spellbane.

When the same class is picked a third time the spellbane gains the ability to treat up to four of his spell slots as containing counter spell essences. This ability allows the spellbane to use counter spell even if he does not actually have that spell essence in his spell essence known list.

Touch of Disruption (Su)
When a Spellbane makes a successful touch attack as a standard action against a spellcaster the Spellbane and the spellcaster makes a Spellcraft check of DC 15+Cha+SL for arcane, DC 25+Cha+SL. If the spellcaster fails their save they lose access to their current highest spell level and are treated for all purposes regarding spellcasting, spell trigger, and spell completion items as being one level below the level the caster gains access to their highest spell level for one day or till the caster makes an eight hour rest. This touch attack does stack with itself and can be used in iterative attacks. This touch attack can only be used with either unarmed attack or with light masterwork weapons.

Mystical Skill (Ex)
The Spellbane has a natural knack for magical essences especially when manipulating the magic inside magical items. The Spellbane can take 10 on a Use Magic Device check even if distracted of threatened. This ability also allows a Spellbane to use a Spellcraft check of 15+Spell Level for an Arcane Spell or 25+Spell Level for Divine spells to add a spells essence to his Spell Essence known list. This however does reduce the charges of a Wand by 10, a Scroll is used up, and a spell is removed from the stave if this is done to it.

Touch of Draining(Su)
The Spellbane makes a touch attack as a standard action against an oppositing spellcaster. If the touch attack is successful the Spellbane must make a Spellcraft DC check of DC 15+SL or DC 25+SL. If the Spellbane makes these checks the Spellbane adds spells from the caster's spell slots or random spells known list to their Spell Essence Known list. The Spellbanes continues to make Spellcraft checks till they fail. After a failed Spellcraft check the Spellbane must success in another touch attack.

Essence Adept (Su)
At 11th level the Spellbane has become more adept at manipulating the spells essence he has learned to harness. At this level the Spellbane can manipulate the spells essence to mimic the effects of a metamagic effect without increasing the spells level. This can only be used one metamagic effect per spell, thus a Spellbane cannot use an extended still spell with this effect but either extended or still spell.

Essence Fuel (Su)
The Spellbane gains the ability to use the Essence of another being to fuel item creation needs. At 7th Level the Spellbane can use another willing person's experience points to fuel up to 25% of the Exp cost of an item
At 10th level the Spellbane can use another willing person's experience to fuel up to 50% of the EXP cost of an item.
At 14th Level the Spellbane can use another willing person's experience to fuel up to 75% of the EXP cost of an item.
At 17th Level the Spellbane can use another willing person's experience to fuel up to 100% of the EXP cost of an item.

UmpteenthDoctor
2013-11-04, 09:20 AM
Anyone got any ideas, I know someone has talked to me privately about it being a little overpowered, but this is a general draft. I do want information and advice to trim it down to a manageable level.

nonsi
2013-11-04, 11:47 AM
Spellburn is written in a totally unintelligible way (bad English, half-baked mechanics etc).
Please go back to the drawing board and re-write it in a manner that everyone can understand what exactly you want it to do.

Once you're done, go over the class abilities that interact with it, to make sure they're written intelligibly.

UmpteenthDoctor
2013-11-04, 12:45 PM
I have edited the wording for the Spellburn, Spell Essence, and Counter Spell abilities.

JoshuaZ
2013-11-04, 02:04 PM
All Spellsbanes draw their spells from the Spellbane spell list. Like divine casters the Spellbanes know all spells of the levels that they can currently cast. Like many spellcasters Spellbanes have a limited amount of spells they can cast per day.

Spellbanes spells per day may increase if they have a high Charisma score as with other classes.
Spellbanes cast all spells as if they are a divine spell thus a Spellbane does not suffer from Arcane Spell Failure.

You may want to just drop in the standard wording for this (say from a cleric) rather than use your own wording. Also, it isn't clear from this if they cast spontaneously or in a prepared fashion. That needs to be specified.

There are still a lot of language issues here making it hard to read.

Spellburn, the ability that allows a Spellbane to use their magical essence in an offensive way. The Spellbane can use Spellburn as a Standard action. At level 1 and every even level thereafter the spellburn gains 1d6 for a total of 10d6 at level 19.

The first sentence is both hard to read and not necessary. With corrected grammar it read something like "Spellburn is an ability that allows a Spellbane to use their magical essence in an offensive way." But the sentence isn't necessary.

"Standard action"- if it isn't at the beginning of a sentence, there's no need to capitalize the S.

And then you've lost me. You are talking about 1d6 of something. 1d6 of what? Does it deal damage? It seems so for the rest of the material.

I can't parse what Spell Essence is doing at all. It looks like there may be interesting ideas here, but without better exposition, it is hard to see what exactly they do.

UmpteenthDoctor
2013-11-04, 02:18 PM
It works like the warlocks eldritch blast. The spell essence is just to explain he has a secondary spell list.

I will edit my post to explain it is not a prepared caster

I will work on the wording

Rolep
2013-11-04, 02:50 PM
This is a little rushed as I'm quite busy, but I'll try my best to PEACH.

Commas are badly misued throughout, making reading it difficult. Here's an example so you know how to fix it:

If the Spellbane possesses a spell on his spell essence known list, or his spell list the Spellbane can make a counter spell action.

If the Spellbane possesses a spell on his spell essence known list or his spell list, the Spellbane can make a counter spell action. Note the comma moved from awkwardly separating the two objects of the subordinate clause to between the subordinate clause and the main clause.

The saving throw progressions are weird. They should 2+(1/2 class level) rounded down (yours don't add 2 and round up).

Spell Resistance, Force of Personality and Magical Know-How aren't listed on the table; they should be.

You still haven't specified that spellburn does damage.

When a Spellbane is the target of a spell, in the area effect of a spell, or is within both line of sight and range of his Spellburn ability
The spellbane is almost certainly within both his own line of sight & the range of his own spellbane ability.

This time this check is a Spellcraft check and if the target spellcaster fails this check they lose the next available spell slot for the day, treating it as if expended normally.
Note: If the next available spell slot is higher it must be expended before a lower spell slot. (Example being if a Wizard of 10th level uses a 3rd level spell and lost it to Counter Spell if they do not have any more 3rd level spell slots one of their 4th level spell slots are expended rather then a 2nd level spell slot.)
This is poorly worded.

Sorry for stopping halfway through PEACHing what has the makings of a good class but I really need to go.:smallredface:

UmpteenthDoctor
2013-11-04, 05:49 PM
I made a few alternations and edits to the class.

Does anyone have any comments that does not regard my poor grammar?

If you need me to be more clear I could add examples under each instance.

nonsi
2013-11-04, 07:22 PM
I made a few alternations and edits to the class.

Does anyone have any comments that does not regard my poor grammar?

If you need me to be more clear I could add examples under each instance.

It's not that people are trying to put you down, but without clear wording it's hard to make valid assessments of your work.

For instance:

Spellburn (Sp)
The Spellbane attacks his enemies with the magical essence within himself. Every even level after 1st adds an additional 1d6 of damage to this magical attack. The spellburn is a ray with a range of 30 ft + 10 ft per class level.
. . .
At 8th level the Spellbane can infuse his Spellburn with a secondary effect that immediately takes place after the first effect. The Spellbane and the target spellcaster makes a adaptive save (The save type is chosen at the start of the day by the Spellbane) if the spellcaster fails this save the Spellcaster has a 50% chance of being unable to use those expended spell slots even after 8 hours of rest.

You should start by saying that it does 1d6 damage at first level.
Then you should state "unable to use those expended spell slots even after 8 hours of rest" . . . for how long.
You also didn't state the damage type dealt by Spellburn.
And state whether it is a regular attack or a touch attack.

Also, use standard saving throws progression (and why in the world would such a class have good Reflex saves?)

Any spell prepared in those slots are added to the Spellbane's Spell Essence Known list even if they exceed the level capable for the Spellbane to cast and do not exist on the Spellbane Spell List.

That's an unreasonable advantage. It gives the Spellbane access to every spell in the game up until 6th level (and to higher effects for the purpose of creating magical items.
Now, you'll probably say that the Warlock gains Imbue Item, but the Warlock doesn't gain a plethora of bonus item creation feats.

Also, what's an adaptive save, and why should a character get to choose which type anew every day?
This is both unfair and make the nature of the ability unclear.

GC_Southpaw
2013-11-04, 09:10 PM
Well, now that I finally have the time to read this, I'll review it.

Problems I have with it begin at the saves. Saves in 3.5 are either "poor" or "good." Good saves max out at 12 at level 20. Poor saves max out at 6 at level 20. There really shouldn't be an intermediate, and even if there were, it would be 9, not 10. Personally I wouldn't allow such unusual saves in a class in my campaign. However, other DMs might be more lenient. In addition, the class features for the Spellbane indicate that Will saves would be "good," and maybe even fortitude saves. I implore you to reduce reflex saves.

Next are skill points. The class is so heavily focused on magic or the destruction thereof that making it a skill-monkey class as well is a little overpowered. It should most likely be 4+int modifier at max IF some of the other abilities are less powerful.

Skills available could be (and worded):
Appraise (Int), Bluff (Cha), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Knowledge (All skills, taken individually) (Int), Listen (Wis), Search (Int), Spellcraft (Int), Spot (Wis), Use Magic Device (Cha)

Weapons and armor proficiency need a little work. I really think that the class as presented should be proficient in simple weapons and maybe few others. In addition, NO SPELLCASTER of any kind begins with the ability to cast arcane spells in medium armor (to my recollection.) Either make it a class feature later on, or just keep light armor. It also is worded in a way that implies if you multiclass and gain heavy armor proficiency, you can full cast in it with no Arcane spell fail chance.

I think you are using just a little bit too many spells/day. I think if you reduced it to 4 spells/day for each spell level at level 20 no one would argue. However, you don't (that I can see) have a list of Spellbane spells, so I can't really figure out what the best spell ratio would be. Also, try adding some 0s to the list for balancing's sake. Also, Prepared? Spontaneous? Spells Known?

As far as class abilities go, I'll examine them one at a time:

Okay, you need to eliminate some of the class features or consider saving them for a prestige class or something. A level 1 character has SEVEN class features? That's far too many.

Spell resistance is WAY to high. Think about a level one character. You can, with little minmaxing, have a character with a SR of 15. Considering spells are
made with a caster level check, a 14 (assuming the opposing spellcaster is also level 1) would have to be rolled to bypass the SR. Consider decreasing it
to a base of 6. In addition, races are more likely than classes to have SR at a low level. This seems like a level 3 ability at the earliest.

Force of Personality - On top of the odd high saves you have, added 2-3 and even 4-5 on top of them makes them impervious to any kind of punishment from spells. I get that that's what you want but you're going about it in an overpowered way.

Magical Know-how - Giving a class infinite uses of two level 0 spells? A-ok in my book.

Spell burn - Even as a ray, you should mention it's a ranged touch attack. I like the idea but I think you should consider reducing the number of d6's because of the spellburn effect. Since it's an at will power from what I can see it doesn't need to be that high. Opposing spellcraft checks are nice but I'd consider opposing caster level checks with bonuses given depending on which level spell slots are being "burned." Currently you have no limit on that. I'd get rid of the 8th level effect. It's vague in wording and really, who is gonna fight a particular enemy more than once? It doesn't come up often enough for that to have a meaningful effect.

Spell Essence is overly powerful, and combines the idea of an artificer. Don't do that. It gives you a repertoire of an unending list of spells to use to build what could be a custom beacon of utter destruction. If you do use it though, maybe a spellcraft check to retain knowledge of the spell could be used.

Counter spell for the idea of spell essence is bad simply because there's no limit. If you still use spell essence as a list for counter-spell only it could work, but only if you either use times per day or a readied action. It shouldn't be involuntary. I'd also lose the secondary effect here. It's wordy and won't come up a lot.

Spell Target focus seems nice, but you don't really list what happens if they fail the save. If you do it's lost in a jumble of game mechanics I just don't get.

Touch of disruption is too powerful. Forcing a caster to lose ALL of his/her highest level spells would require a save quite a bit lower than the constant save you use. Otherwise you would easily dispatch even the strongest of
spellcasters easily.

I would remove the item creation feats. They add fluff to a class that doesn't
really have room for them. Keep scribe scroll if you must, but anything other than that, to me, creates a selfish mage that hates other mages despite being a powerful spellcaster himself. It's weird.

Mystical skill seems on the level to me, considering everything I've said about spell essences. It isn't worded well though. I can't quite tell what you mean.

Touch of Draining - again with the vague touch attack. I can see you're really pushing for spell essences to be the main focus of the class, but I really think you need to modify the wording and explain the effects a bit better.

Essence adept - One per spell? What do you mean? Can you elaborate?

Essence Fuel - Nice. I like this, but as I've already said, the item creation feats seem a little overdone. Limit the number of them or something.

Essence Mastery - Uh...what? So you're saying you can skip level 4-6 spells altogether if you want to? Cast level 0, 1, 2, 3, 7, 8, 9? And how are you doing this? Do you expend essences? From what spell list do you
draw these spells? I'd say get rid of it, as this is the most confusing ability of them all.

By the way, you never dictate length of time nor action (standard, full, move, swift) by which a spellbane's effects are determined. Without that I can't full assess the abilities. This class is simply overpowered to epic proportions, with essence mastery capping it. It turns your mage killer into a master mage!? That's what kills this class. At level 20, they have access to ALL spells, intermediate saves, Decent BAB, a TON of armor, skills, and skill points. They can make whatever item they want and the only thing holding them back is a d6 hit die.

All in all there's good ideas there, but poor diction and a jumble of extra abilities makes me think that you tried consolidating two different classes together. It's overpowered, but I'm sure if you work on it you can make it less so. :smallsmile:

JoshuaZ
2013-11-04, 09:30 PM
In addition, NO SPELLCASTER of any kind begins with the ability to cast arcane spells in medium armor (to my recollection.)

You are, as far as I'm aware, correct. However, this seems to be more for flavor reasons than anything connected to balance. How balanced it is depends a lot on the spell list. For example, if you gave this ability to bards at level 1, it wouldn't really alter their power level that much, whereas if you gave it to the Dread Necromancer it would substantially impact their in combat capability. But it really does break the standard fluff, and considering how much else this class is getting, wouldn't be really necessary at all.

UmpteenthDoctor
2013-11-04, 10:15 PM
Some of those issues where more clear the first edit I didn't realize I deleted so much with my rewordings.

I will change the saves to Good Will and Fortitude and Poor Reflex.
The Spellbane casts Arcane spells as a Divine caster, meaning they do not suffer from ASF.

I reduced the spell resistance, I only made it ten from advice from another playgrounder.

I also do not have a spell list written up yet.

GC are you who I think you are?

DedWards
2013-11-05, 03:15 AM
Honestly, when I saw the word "Spellbane", I was hoping this'd be a martial class with specific advantages against spell casters, more than just resistance to magic. Oh well...

Ripptor
2013-11-06, 07:41 AM
Note
I am aware that some of the abilities need working, and I am sure the chart is a little messy this is my first attempt at anything like this and I have a true idea in mind but I am having a bit of trouble getting there.

Spellbane

http://dc226.4shared.com/img/_a7pb6HS/s7/13da2ab1d60/lux_spellthief.png

”Your magic is my might, I am one to strong to fight.”

The bane of spellcasters arcane and divine, the Spellbane has trained their whole lives to equalize those who wield the power to turn the world to their will with those who cannot. The skill and training in the magical arts allows the Spellbane to both relate, identify, and if need be eliminate those whom might abuse the great magical arts.

Adventures: Why your class might adventure. The Spellbane travel to not only remove the taint of the evil magics from the world but those whom are inclined might actually be spreading the darkness themselves. The Spellbane are wild cards, their only true goal is to themselves and to their beliefs. Adventuring gives them access to the great magical powers that they desire, and chance for plenty of fame and fortune.

Characteristics: The Spellbane is often confused for the Rogue or Warlock, gladly blending into those misconceptions to better allow for their own ends. The Spellbane is best suited for combating Spellcasters, though with the absence of those casters the Spellbane himself can cast a small portion of spells, as well as craft items of the spells he has stolen the essence of from others.

Alignment: Spellbane fall under any alignment, most however are some form of Neutral.

Religion: Spellbane common worship the gods of magic as well as revere the gods of trickery, skill, and fortune. The Spellbane can belong to any religion overall.

Background: Those who strive to become Spellbane are often times victims of abusive uses of magic. These survivors endeavor to prevent such abuses from happening again. Often times these are warriors of a god of magic who believes the uses of such magic needs to be stopped. However not all are sent on a mission from god. Some believe this is just what needs to happen to keep a balance with those whom can warp the world to their will all to easily.

Races: N/A

Other Classes: While relating well to most of the hybrid classes such as the Ranger, Bard, etc the Spellbanes are often looked upon with mistrust by those whom consider themselves full casters such as Wizard, Clerics, and Druids. Rogues and Warlocks are often times simply annoyed that the Spellbane is mistaken for one of their own.

Role: The Spellbane fits the roll of a Hybrid Spellcaster, light rogue work such as trap detection and disabling, but mostly the Spellbane's forte is handling those whom wield the magical arts.

Adaptation: How a DM might change your class to fit into their campaign or unique world setting.

GAME RULE INFORMATION
Spellbane's have the following game statistics.
Abilities: The Spellbane's primary casting ability score is Charisma and this is followed closely by Intelligence due to their keen intellect and skill required to fight the spellcasters.
Alignment: What alignments are available to your class are listed here. "Any" is a possibility.
Hit Die: d6 (PF d8)
Starting Age: As Cleric
Starting Gold: As Cleric

Class Skills
The Spellbane's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are...
[3.5] Appraise (Int), Bluff (Cha), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Knowledge (All skills, taken individually) (Int), Listen (Wis), Search (Int), Spellcraft (Int), Spot (Wis), Use Magic Device (Cha)

If Using Psionics add Autohypnosis (Wis), Psicraft (Int), Knowledge (Psionics) and Use Psionic Device (Cha) to the list above.
[PF] All PF associated skills with the 3.5 Above.

Skill Points at First Level: (4 + Int modifier) x 4
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 4 + Int modifier

CLASS NAME
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|0 Level|1st Level|2nd Level|3rd Level|4th Level|5th Level|6th Level

1st|
+0|
+2|
+0|
+2|Spellburn, Spell Essence, Counter Spell, Spell Resistance|
3|
1|
-|
-|
-|
-|
-

2nd|
+1|
+3|
+0|
+3|Force of Personality, Magical Know-how, Bonus Feat|
4|
2|
-|
-|
-|
-|
-

3rd|
+2|
+3|
+1|
+3|Spell Target Focus|
4|
3|
-|
-|
-|
-|
-

4th|
+3|
+4|
+1|
+4|Mystical Skill|
4|
3|
1|
-|
-|
-|
-

5th|
+3|
+4|
+1|
+4|Touch of Disruption, Bonus Feat|
4|
4|
2|
-|
-|
-|
-

6th|
+4|
+5|
+2|
+5|Spell Target Focus|
5|
4|
3|
-|
-|
-|
-

7th|
+5|
+5|
+2|
+5|Essence Fuel|
5|
4|
3|
1|
-|
-|
-

8th|
+6/+1|
+6|
+2|
+6|Touch of Draining, Bonus Feat|
5|
4|
4|
2|
-|
-|
-

9th|
+6/+1|
+6|
+3|
+6|Spell Target Focus|
5|
5|
4|
3|
-|
-|
-

10th|
+7/+2|
+7|
+3|
+7| Essence Fuel|
5|
5|
4|
3|
1|
-|
-

11th|
+8/+3|
+7|
+3|
+7|Essence Adept, Bonus Feat|
5|
5|
4|
4|
2|
-|
-

12th|
+9/+4|
+8|
+4|
+8|Spell Target Focus|
5|
5|
5|
4|
3|
-|
-

13th|
+9/+4|
+8|
+4|
+8|-|
5|
5|
5|
4|
3|
1|
-

14th|
+10/+5|
+9|
+4|
+9|Essence Fuel, Bonus Feat|
5|
5|
5|
4|
4|
2|
-

15th|
+11/+6/+1|
+9|
+5|
+9|Spell Target Focus|
5|
5|
5|
5|
4|
3|
-

16th|
+12/+7/+2|
+10|
+5|
+10|-|
5|
5|
5|
5|
4|
3|

17th|
+12/+7/+2|
+10|
+5|
+10|Essence Fuel, Bonus Feat|
5|
5|
5|
5|
4|
4|

18th|
+13/+8/+3|
+11|
+6|
+11|Spell Target Focus|
5|
5|
5|
5|
5|
4|

19th|
+14/+9/+4|
+11|
+6|
+11|-|
5|
5|
5|
5|
5|
5|

20th|
+15/+10/+5|
+12|
+6|
+12|Bonus Feat|
5|
5|
5|
5|
5|
5|
5[/table]

Class Features
All of the following are class features of the Spellbane.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency:
Spellbanes are proficient with all Simple Weapons. Light as well as shields (Except Tower Shields).

Spells:
A spellbane casts arcane spells , which are drawn from the spellbane spell list. Like other spellcasters, a spellbane can cast only a certain number of spells of each spell level per day. Unlike Druids, Wizard, or Clerics they do not prepare their spells ahead of time. His base daily spell allotment is given on Table above: The Spellbane. In addition, he receives bonus spells per day if he has a high Charisma score (see Table 1–1: Ability Modifiers and Bonus Spells, page 8).

To prepare or cast a spell, a spellbane must have a Charisma score equal to at least 10 + the spell level (Cha 10 for 0-level spells, Cha 11 for 1st-level spells, and so forth). The Difficulty Class for a saving throw against a cleric’s spell is 10 + the spell level + the spellbane’s Charisma modifier.

Unlike most spellcasters who cast arcane spells the spellbane does this by casting them as Divine Spells.

Spell Resistance (Su)
Spellbanes have an innate resistance to magic. The Spell Resistance is equal to 6+Class Level+Charisma Modifier. If your Cha modifier + any other racial or inherent spell resistance is higher, use this instead.

The Spellbane's personality and sense of self is so strong it strengthens all aspects of himself. This allows the Spellbane to add his Charisma Modifier bonus to his Saves.

Magical Know-how (Ex)
The Spallbane have the ability to use Detect Magic and Read Magic at-will.

Spellburn (Sp)
The Spellbane attacks his enemies with the magical essence within himself as a standard action with this ranged touch attack. At 1st level and every even level after 1st adds an additional 1d6 of damage to this magical attack. The spellburn is a ray with a range of 30 ft + 10 ft per class level.

If the Spellbane uses the Spellburn effect they can elect to reduce the number of d6s used for damage. The amount of d6s removed is the number of spell slots the attacked caster loses. The Spellbane and the target spellcaster makes opposing spellcraft checks, if the spellcraft check succeeds the spell slots are treated as extended and cannot be used till the spellcaster has spent their normal amount of time resting to regain expended spell slots.

Any spell prepared in those slots are added to the Spellbane's Spell Essence Known list even if they exceed the level capable for the Spellbane to cast and do not exist on the Spellbane Spell List. If the Spellburn is used on a spontaneous caster such as a Sorcerer then the spells added to the Spellbane's Spell Essence Known list are randomly drawn from the Sorcerers spell known list.

Spell Essence (Ex)
The Spellbane has access to a secondary spell list composed entirely of the spells he has used with spellburn or touch of absorbing. He cannot use these abilities for any other function except to power his counter spell ability.

Counter Spell (Su)
When the Spellbane is the direct target of a spell, currently within the area of effect of a spell, is within line of sight of the spell cast and within range of the Spellburn touch attack (30ft+10ft per class level) the Spellbane may choose to use a Counter Spell.

The counter spell ability allows the spellbane to make use of the spell essence known list. If the spellbane possesses a spell on his spell essence known list or his spell list, the spellbane can make a counter spell action. This action is an immediate action at 3+Cha/day and can be performed but invokes attacks of opportunity.

The Spellbane uses their selected save (This is the same save type as the spellburn is using that day) and makes an opposition roll against the targeted spell caster. If the caster fails their save their spell is negated though still expended for that day. No effect happens to the spell slot other then normal expended condition.

Spell Target Focus (Su)
At 3rd level the spellbane can select to focus on a specific kind of caster class, with multiple target focuses on the same class the spellbane gains higher degrees of focus as seen below.

Upon taking this focus the Spellbane gains his Int modifier to his opposition rolls used with the Counter Spell and Spellburn effects on the selected class type.

When the same class is picked a second time the spellbane gains the effect of an at-will aura-like ability. This ability functions as follows: With the spellbane at its epicenter the aura reaches out to cover an area of 20 ft +10 ft per class level. When an caster enters this effected area the spellbane can choose to force a spellcaster to make an adaptive save check of 20+Spell Level+the spellbane's charisma modifier to overcome the effects of the aura. If the spellcaster makes this save then they can cast their spell normally. The Spellcaster must make an additional save for each attempt to cast a spell or use a spell like ability. At this level the spellbane also gains the ability to use up a spell slot to increase the DC of all saves against their spells and abilities by the level of that spell slot used.
* Note Spellcaster not Spellbane.

When the same class is picked a third time the spellbane gains the ability to treat up to four of his spell slots as containing counter spell essences. This ability allows the spellbane to use counter spell even if he does not actually have that spell essence in his spell essence known list.

Touch of Disruption (Su)
When a Spellbane makes a successful touch attack as a standard action against a spellcaster the Spellbane and the spellcaster makes a Spellcraft check of DC 15+Cha+SL for arcane, DC 25+Cha+SL. If the spellcaster fails their save they lose access to their current highest spell level and are treated for all purposes regarding spellcasting, spell trigger, and spell completion items as being one level below the level the caster gains access to their highest spell level for one day or till the caster makes an eight hour rest. This touch attack does stack with itself and can be used in iterative attacks. This touch attack can only be used with either unarmed attack or with light masterwork weapons.

Mystical Skill (Ex)
The Spellbane has a natural knack for magical essences especially when manipulating the magic inside magical items. The Spellbane can take 10 on a Use Magic Device check even if distracted of threatened. This ability also allows a Spellbane to use a Spellcraft check of 15+Spell Level for an Arcane Spell or 25+Spell Level for Divine spells to add a spells essence to his Spell Essence known list. This however does reduce the charges of a Wand by 10, a Scroll is used up, and a spell is removed from the stave if this is done to it.

Touch of Draining(Su)
The Spellbane makes a touch attack as a standard action against an oppositing spellcaster. If the touch attack is successful the Spellbane must make a Spellcraft DC check of DC 15+SL or DC 25+SL. If the Spellbane makes these checks the Spellbane adds spells from the caster's spell slots or random spells known list to their Spell Essence Known list. The Spellbanes continues to make Spellcraft checks till they fail. After a failed Spellcraft check the Spellbane must success in another touch attack.

Essence Adept (Su)
At 11th level the Spellbane has become more adept at manipulating the spells essence he has learned to harness. At this level the Spellbane can manipulate the spells essence to mimic the effects of a metamagic effect without increasing the spells level. This can only be used one metamagic effect per spell, thus a Spellbane cannot use an extended still spell with this effect but either extended or still spell.

Essence Fuel (Su)
The Spellbane gains the ability to use the Essence of another being to fuel item creation needs. At 7th Level the Spellbane can use another willing person's experience points to fuel up to 25% of the Exp cost of an item
At 10th level the Spellbane can use another willing person's experience to fuel up to 50% of the EXP cost of an item.
At 14th Level the Spellbane can use another willing person's experience to fuel up to 75% of the EXP cost of an item.
At 17th Level the Spellbane can use another willing person's experience to fuel up to 100% of the EXP cost of an item.

I like the idea here, to an extent. I think there's some potential here, but as you admit, it does need work.

Spells:

This is almost normal, except for the last sentence, which I almost missed. It's an important sentence, however, and requires a little more explanation as to what you want it to do. I can only imagine that it's two main purposes are to:

1) Flavorfully set this class apart from the arcane casters it hates; and
2) Ignore the drawback of Arcane Spell Failure.

If so, it should be more explicitly stated, and perhaps from the outset instead of at the very end.

Spells:
A spellbane casts divine spells, which are drawn from the spellbane spell list. He can cast any spell he knows without preparing it ahead of time, the way a druid or a cleric must.

To learn or cast a spell, a spellbane must have a Charisma score equal to at least 10 + the spell level. The Difficulty Class for a saving throw against a spellbane’s spell is 10 + the spell level + the spellbane’s Charisma modifier.

Like other spellcasters, a spellbane can cast only a certain number of spells of each spell level per day. His base daily spell allotment is given on Table above: The Spellbane. In addition, he receives bonus spells per day if he has a high Charisma score (see Table 1–1: Ability Modifiers and Bonus Spells, page 8).

A spellbane’s selection of spells is extremely limited. A spellbane begins play knowing four 0-level spells and two 1st-level spells of your choice. At each new spellbane level, he gains one or more new spells, as indicated on Table: Spellbane Spells Known.

Upon reaching 4th level, and at every even-numbered spellbane level after that (6th, 8th, and so on), a spellbane can choose to learn a new spell in place of one he already knows. In effect, the spellbane “loses” the old spell in exchange for the new one. The new spell’s level must be the same as that of the spell being exchanged, and it must be at least two levels lower than the highest-level spellbane spell the spellbane can cast. A spellbane may swap only a single spell at any given level, and must choose whether or not to swap the spell at the same time that he gains new spells known for the level.
This should cover it, I think. A spellbane casts divine spells, drawn from the list you are building. Or, should it become a better idea, "A spellbane casts divine spells, which are drawn from the sorcerer/wizard spell list." That way she can still have her divine casting, and learn arcane spells.

Spell Resistance (Su)
This is an interesting scaling spell resistance ability, but possibly too high to begin with. making it scale with the class gives a reason to stay in the class as well.
Spell Resistance (Su)
Spellbanes have a higher resistance to magic than other members of their race. A spellbane adds their Charisma modifier to their highest spell resistance. If they have no spell resistance ability, they gain a spell resistance equal to their spellbane class level.

Upon reaching 4th level, and every four levels after that(8th, 12th, and so on), a spellbane gains an additional +1 bonus to their spell resistance, to a maximum of +5 (at 20th level).
I think this is a clearer wording of the ability you are looking for, and possibly more balanced with the scaling. It gives players more reason to stay in the class for all 20 levels as well, instead of just dipping for all of the level 1 goodies.

This is the name of a feat from the Complete Adventurer that you instead seemed to have turned into half of the Fey's racial Unearthly Grace ability. As written, this is too much to gain at first level, and probably too much at all. It should probably be either removed entirely, or simply reduced to it's already present form, possibly gained at a later level (3, maybe?)
Force of Personality
At third level, the Spellbane's personality and sense of self is so strong it strengthens their willpower. This allows the Spellbane to add his Charisma Modifier bonus (instead of your Wisdom modifier) to his saves against mind-affecting spells and abilities.
A free feat is a good thing all by itself. Should you decide to try and keep your over-powered version, you should seek to name it something else.

Magical Know-how (Ex)
Spellbanes have the ability to use Detect Magic and Read Magic at-will.
I like this, and this will help with my next proposed change as well. Should add the caster level of these at-will abilities, however. Maybe equal to class level?

Spell Essence (Ex)
This is the start of a good idea, but it can be done much more elegantly. The spellbane has a spell list in which it casts divine spells from spontaneously, and that should be left alone. To track this ability, the much better solution IMHO is to use an already defined game mechanic: The spellbook.
Know Thy Enemy (Ex)
The Spellbane has access to any one spellbook on their person at a given time. This effectively increases their spells known list, but only for the purposes of their class abilities which check against their spells known list. This ability does not allow the spellbane to cast additional spells.
There! This solution allows spellbanes to carry an additional supplement of spells, without much of the earlier messiness. It allows a spellbane the option of buying/scribing/stealing spells from others, including the spellbooks of those who they defeat and loot. It also gives a character starting at level 15 in your class a way to start a list of additional spells, and there's a lot of fun that can be had with this. Steal an opponent's book and use it against them. Have you book stolen and need to quest to get it back, etc.

The rest of my proposals all feature this change in functionality.

Spellburn (Sp)

There is much missing here. Which spell slot did you just eat up? And why opposed spellcraft checks instead of caster level checks, as in dispel magic? Why does this scale to 11d6, much higher and faster than the equivalent warlock's ability?

Spellsiphon (Sp)
At second level, the Spellbane learns to attack his enemies magical abilities at their core, draining the magical essence within.

A Spellsiphon is a ray with a range of 30 ft + 5 ft per class level. It is a standard action ranged touch attack that affects a single target, allowing no saving throw. If successful, the attack deals 1d6 damage. This damage increases by 1d6 at every even class level after 2nd, (4th, 6th, and so on) to a maximum of 10d6 at level 20.

If the Spellbane uses the Spellsiphon effect they can elect to reduce the number of d6s used for damage before rolling. For each d6 reduced in this way, the Spellbane must make a dispel check (1d20 + your caster level) against the creature. The DC for this check is 11 + target's caster level. If successful, the target loses a prepared spell or spell slot at random from the highest level of spell it can cast.

Any prepared spell lost in this way is added to the Spellbane's linked spellbook from Know Thy Enemy, if it is not already present. A spell slot lost in this way randomly selects a spell of the targets list of known spells of that level to attempt to add.

... I'll get around to the rest later. But these are my starting suggestions to increase playability and match the other classes this seems based on!