PDA

View Full Version : Improvised weapon - cards

Bruenin
2013-11-03, 02:04 PM
Is there any way to make a deck of playing cards a viable weapon? Ideally thrown but melee would be cool too.

I was looking at Drunken Master and it never says you have to use a melee attack for the damage change, it just automatically changed the damage of your improvised weapons.

That's a bit cheesy though and the fact that it focuses on being drunk doesn't mesh well with the character concept I have in mind. I could dip monk and wear a monks belt to up my unarmed damage so the cards do a ton of damage with Drunken Master but eh.

What are some ways to make it viable though? I wanted my character to be a Bard and it's not for super strong build obviously but I just want something viable and this seemed really fun. I was thinking Inspire courage + Dragonfire inspiration but I was wondering if you could enchant improvised weapons?

I generally play in a lower optimized game, someone usually always makes a pure fighter and they absolutely hate playing clerics and spellcasters so I don't need something extremely powerful to keep pace.

Sir Chuckles
2013-11-03, 02:14 PM
It depends on your DM.

Some might not allow cards to do any damage at all, other might houserule it in.

I, for one, would count them as Improvised Shuriken, and treat them as such; assuming that they're weaponized (made of a durable metal foil instead of paper).
Again, my opinion, if they're still made of paper, it can't do much more than an annoying pin prick. But, you could probably treat it as ammunition and stack WSA's on them.

Fax Celestis
2013-11-03, 02:22 PM
Why not just take EWP: Shuriken and fluff your shuriken as cards?

Mechanically its fair and sound (spend a feat to use an unusual weapon or one that requires special training), and thematically you get to do what you want.

Again, my opinion, if they're still made of paper, it can't do much more than an annoying pin prick.

You'd be wrong. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1L5VVX8uLA) Those cards he's using, by the way, aren't even the laminated ones: they're just the flimsy paper ones.

Bruenin
2013-11-03, 02:25 PM
It depends on your DM.

Some might not allow cards to do any damage at all, other might houserule it in.

I, for one, would count them as Improvised Shuriken, and treat them as such; assuming that they're weaponized (made of a durable metal foil instead of paper).
Again, my opinion, if they're still made of paper, it can't do much more than an annoying pin prick. But, you could probably treat it as ammunition and stack WSA's on them.

There was a man in real life who was able to toss wooden chopsticks 3 inches into concrete : P I imagine DnD characters could do at least 1 damage. I just looked at the chart and figured they would be diminutive items.

I could just take the rules for shuriken and fluff it all up I suppose. I'd have to ask my DM.

Epsilon Rose
2013-11-03, 02:36 PM
If your DM doesn't mind PF material, there's a Pathfinder has a chain of feats designed to do exactly that.

Arcane Strike (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/arcane-strike-combat) and Deadly Dealer (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/deadly-dealer) work well for gambit impersnations.

If your DM is Ok with homebrew, you might also want to look into the Runic Demolisher (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=210029) class, which pairs very nicely with cards as throwing weapons.

Devronq
2013-11-03, 02:42 PM
Is there any way to make a deck of playing cards a viable weapon? Ideally thrown but melee would be cool too.

I was looking at Drunken Master and it never says you have to use a melee attack for the damage change, it just automatically changed the damage of your improvised weapons.

That's a bit cheesy though and the fact that it focuses on being drunk doesn't mesh well with the character concept I have in mind. I could dip monk and wear a monks belt to up my unarmed damage so the cards do a ton of damage with Drunken Master but eh.

What are some ways to make it viable though? I wanted my character to be a Bard and it's not for super strong build obviously but I just want something viable and this seemed really fun. I was thinking Inspire courage + Dragonfire inspiration but I was wondering if you could enchant improvised weapons?

I generally play in a lower optimized game, someone usually always makes a pure fighter and they absolutely hate playing clerics and spellcasters so I don't need something extremely powerful to keep pace.

Just out of curiosity you going for gambit off of x-men? Just the first thing that came to mind :p

Bruenin
2013-11-03, 02:50 PM
Just out of curiosity you going for gambit off of x-men? Just the first thing that came to mind :p

Never heard of it. I just found the idea of leaving a room of people knocked out with just some playing cards fun : P

OT: I found the Brawler PrC from dragon magazine which removes any improvised weapon proficiency and it also allows you to buy feats like Weapon focus improved weapons. I was thinking a dip in Master Thrower for quick draw and the palm toss ability so I can double the amount of cards i'm throwing.

Brawler requires improved unarmed strike though, so double level dip in monk for evasion and two bonus feats and then maybe Drunken Master? I could always use the cards in melee so if I ever got surrounded chugging a beer and attacking could be good.

Brawler would also raised the damage the cards do to 1d4 since anything under 5lbs automatically does 1d4, so add that to just the starter Drunken Master bonus and I have (2d4 + unarmed damage + str mod)x2 because each attack throws two cards. Add in rapid shot and two weapon fighting and I could have a good number of attacks, with buffs from bardic music hopefully helping me hit.

Socratov
2013-11-03, 03:18 PM
well, add in a way to use dimension door and you're Twisted Fate (http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wiki/Twisted_Fate)

Darrin
2013-11-03, 06:11 PM
Mmmm... Needs more Dragonfire Inspiration. I mean, if you can get flaming chickens, why not flaming cards?

Bruenin
2013-11-03, 06:36 PM
Mmmm... Needs more Dragonfire Inspiration. I mean, if you can get flaming chickens, why not flaming cards?

I mentioned dragonfire inspiration. I just need to figure out how to get two songs playing by themselves, I can use animate instrument to play one song, but at just +1 if I never reach high enough bard to get +2, I can still get badge of valor, vest of legends, and the feat heart of song for +4, then a masterwork horn for +5 and I can double that with words of creations for +10, or 10d6 extra damage each hit.

OH, there's also the bard spell that'll add +1 to my inspire courage bonus so after doubling it'll be 12d6 fire damage added. But to have both inspire courage and dragonfire inspiration doubled I'll need to take 6d4 nonlethal damage and some way to have them playing on their own.