PDA

View Full Version : WARNING: There Is a Predator on RPG Sites

Rogerd
2013-11-03, 02:05 PM
Hi All

I am like many of you, a member on more than one site. Having come across this thread on another one of my stops I decided it was definitely worth sharing.

Predator on RPG Sites (http://roleplayerguild.com/showthread.php?228482-WARNING-There-Is-a-Predator-on-RPG)

As you can see it also states that said individual is on other RPG sites, so I figured this was worth sharing so that everyone is aware of the issues and the danger. I have PM'd a Mod so hopefully they will sticky this or something, and anyone who is contacted in the manner in the linked thread report it immediately and maybe between us all we can ensure that those members that have received contact know that they are not alone and something can be done.

Aedilred
2013-11-03, 03:48 PM
I saw the title and was really hoping:
http://thisdistractedglobe.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/predator-1987-kevin-peter-hall-pic-5.jpg
Oh well. I live only to be disappointed.

Maelstrom
2013-11-03, 03:55 PM
http://thisdistractedglobe.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/predator-1987-kevin-peter-hall-pic-5.jpg

With the capital 'P', you were not alone :smallwink:

rredmond
2013-11-03, 04:12 PM
Interesting. Thanks.
People are strange.
--Ron--

Anajamois
2013-11-03, 10:18 PM
Thanks for the tip. I enjoy teasing pedophiles online.

Crow
2013-11-04, 02:28 AM
*Considers changing listed sex and setting up sting operation.*

Evandar
2013-11-04, 08:49 AM
Thanks for the heads up.

Although it's going to be like a year before I can share my Skype details without feeling like I'm going to creep people out. :smalleek:

Ravens_cry
2013-11-04, 11:41 AM
I don't think it's good thing to 'tease' such people. Imagine if being sexually attracted to something to was considered unspeakably vile by the rest of society, if even mentioning it could lose you your job and ruin your life.
Now imagine someone came up to you and told you they were also attracted, leading you along until they revealed that they were 'teasing' you. How would you feel?
These people are sick, yes, but tormenting them because of their sickness?
I don't see it how it helps anyone.
I mean. . rabble rabble rabble, ignore unfortunate implications of repeating past patterns of behavior against new targets, rabble rabble rabble.

Kalmageddon
2013-11-04, 01:57 PM
I may be a bit dense, but even after reading the thread linked in the OP (or at least the first couple of pages) I don't understand what "predator" would mean in this context and what exactly is the problem.

Is this a guy that tries to use RPG sites to flirt with women? That might be inappropriate I guess but I don't see why there would be any reason to be alarmed.

Is he a stalker?

Is he a known criminal irl? If so what has he done?

Please enlighten me, because this is actually the first time I've heard of such a thing...
(no sarcasm whatsoever, I'm genuinely confused and naive about this subject)

Killer Angel
2013-11-04, 02:26 PM
I may be a bit dense, but even after reading the thread linked in the OP (or at least the first couple of pages) I don't understand what "predator" would mean in this context and what exactly is the problem.

Is this a guy that tries to use RPG sites to flirt with women? That might be inappropriate I guess but I don't see why there would be any reason to be alarmed.

Is he a stalker?

Please enlighten me, because this is actually the first time I've heard of such a thing...

I believe Rogerd is talking 'bout this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/To_Catch_a_Predator) kind of predator...

Kalmageddon
2013-11-04, 02:45 PM
I believe Rogerd is talking 'bout this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/To_Catch_a_Predator) kind of predator...

So basically the warning in the OP is for the underage boys and girls of this forum?

Killer Angel
2013-11-04, 04:10 PM
So basically the warning in the OP is for the underage boys and girls of this forum?

Not only them. It's for all the ones interested in keeping an eye open, be them Mods, big brothers, and so on.

AtlanteanTroll
2013-11-04, 07:37 PM
Why do we believe the man is a pedophile? The people on RPG and GiTP aren't ... children. Mostly. A sexual deviant, yes. But pedophile?

Proud Tortoise
2013-11-04, 08:13 PM
Thanks for the tip. I enjoy teasing pedophiles online.

That is fun. Scammers too.

theangelJean
2013-11-04, 09:48 PM

Is he a stalker?

Just reading the thread, it seems like nobody has actually reported criminal activity, although some people have talked about it at kind of "rumour" level.

What they are reporting is a large amount of suspicious activity, especially when the mods looked into it, specifically:

- contacting people by PM out of the blue, ie there was no previous contact
- asking for personal information (in this case Skype details).
- a lot of requests like this coming from one account
- the account not actually being otherwise active at all on the forums (ie post count zero, just sending PMs)
- after that account was banned, other accounts being made for the same purpose and continuing the same activity. IP banning also turned out to be ineffective.

As to the intentions of the person/people behind this, who knows. I don't think it's helpful to be throwing around labels. It's more that the pattern of activity was not really consistent with someone contacting people for legitimate reasons.

I think the warning was intended for forum members to prepare themselves by being suspicious of requests like that in the first place, and to assist the mods by reporting such messages (since it's more difficult for Mods to monitor PMs than threads).

I get the impression from the thread that in that RPG forum, taking a discussion to Skype is not uncommon, for the purposes of private roleplaying. So it gave this person a legitimate-sounding opportunity to ask for such details. Here, I know that sometimes people will ask in support threads for someone to discuss things privately, and I don't think that comes off as creepy. But if someone contacted me by PM here on giantitp, seemingly at random and asking for my Skype details/asking to chat on Skype, I would be rather suspicious.

I think the message the mods on the RPG forum are trying to get across is: if someone you don't already know contacts you asking for personal details, report the post. If that happens here I would probably recommend the same.

Krucik
2013-11-05, 04:03 AM
Just reading the thread, it seems like nobody has actually reported criminal activity, although some people have talked about it at kind of "rumour" level.

What they are reporting is a large amount of suspicious activity, especially when the mods looked into it, specifically:

- the account not actually being otherwise active at all on the forums (ie post count zero, just sending PMs)
- after that account was banned, other accounts being made for the same purpose and continuing the same activity. IP banning also turned out to be ineffective.

As to the intentions of the person/people behind this, who knows. I don't think it's helpful to be throwing around labels. It's more that the pattern of activity was not really consistent with someone contacting people for legitimate reasons.

I think the warning was intended for forum members to prepare themselves by being suspicious of requests like that in the first place, and to assist the mods by reporting such messages (since it's more difficult for Mods to monitor PMs than threads).

I get the impression from the thread that in that RPG forum, taking a discussion to Skype is not uncommon, for the purposes of private roleplaying. So it gave this person a legitimate-sounding opportunity to ask for such details. Here, I know that sometimes people will ask in support threads for someone to discuss things privately, and I don't think that comes off as creepy. But if someone contacted me by PM here on giantitp, seemingly at random and asking for my Skype details/asking to chat on Skype, I would be rather suspicious.

I think the message the mods on the RPG forum are trying to get across is: if someone you don't already know contacts you asking for personal details, report the post. If that happens here I would probably recommend the same.

OK, sounds like it might be a troll or fisherman or whatever they call them these days idk. SO yeah, nice to meet you all the same um still looking for the start up forum chat thingy...

Rogerd
2013-11-05, 04:39 AM

Is he a stalker?

Quite frankly I can understand people not wanting to read through numerous pages and post to get the general gist. If you read from this link (http://roleplayerguild.com/showthread.php?228482-WARNING-There-Is-a-Predator-on-RPG&p=10002242&viewfull=1#post10002242) onwards it should become a lot clearer of the apparent scope and length of time that he has been at this. You'll also notice that the authorities are now involved which should clue you into the serious nature.

No, they're involved as I understand it and all people on here should be alert for anyone that suddenly asks to Skype, and should sensibly refuse, report it to a moderator and I would suggest the Mods on here network with the linked site to help gather the evidence so the authorities have everything they need.

Absolutely spot on there.

Correct, labels don't help the matter and tends to make people react negatively.

Absolutely.

Yeah, taking things to private things like Pm and stuff is very common, but what members should do, and have - is their online presence, which they use to post on forums; and the other real version used for friends and family. And at no point, under any circumstances should they crossover. Now let's say I got friendly enough with someone to want to chat by IM - I wouldn't use my real name, I'd use the same cloud email (googlemail address) to keep some anonymity.

But yes, as you've said, random requests to chat on Skype, even after a few posts should be reported (http://roleplayerguild.com/showthread.php?228482-WARNING-There-Is-a-Predator-on-RPG&p=10007153&viewfull=1#post10007153) without further ado.

Absolutely, well said.

Kalmageddon
2013-11-05, 05:49 AM
I see... :smalleek:
Allright then, thanks for the clarification.

Killer Angel
2013-11-05, 07:03 AM
Why do we believe the man is a pedophile? The people on RPG and GiTP aren't ... children. Mostly. A sexual deviant, yes. But pedophile?

Yep. Pedophiles are interested in prepubescent sex. Here, we're talking more 'bout hebephilia, I think (the young girls cited in the post linked by the OP).

Castaras
2013-11-05, 09:48 AM
Or just a guy looking for vulnerable people to grab hold of and do bad things to do. Bad being all sorts of things.

Serpentine
2013-11-05, 09:49 AM
Um... I thought the main bit relevant to the "what is he doing wrong?" question was this line: "He plays to sympathies, kindness and the loneliness of young girls and women to get them to do what he wants, and when they do he proceeds to destroy their lives."

old school man
2013-11-05, 06:19 PM
Thanks for the heads up.

John

GoblinArchmage
2013-11-05, 08:44 PM
Yep. Pedophiles are interested in prepubescent sex. Here, we're talking more 'bout hebephilia, I think (the young girls cited in the post linked by the OP).

Please don't use that term ever again, unless you're being ironic.

Creed
2013-11-05, 08:54 PM

THAT Predator would not be so easy to identify.
*looks around*
*cloaks*

Aedilred
2013-11-06, 04:17 AM
Out of interest, why not? I don't really see... what's wrong with it? (The word, not the activity).

Maelstrom
2013-11-06, 04:27 AM

The term " 'bout "?

Togath
2013-11-06, 07:03 AM
what's wrong with using 'bout in a sentence?

Killer Angel
2013-11-06, 07:06 AM

:smallconfused:
err... sure, if it hurts you, but may I ask you why? it's a medical term for a specific kind of sexual disorder.
What's related to it, it's horrible, but the term itself is pretty neutral.

Maelstrom
2013-11-06, 07:18 AM
what's wrong with using 'bout in a sentence?

Not that I'd call it out (someone else did, I was just speculating on what he may have seen wrong with the sentence...other than this 'word', there was nothing out of place), but why even bother abbreviating a word with not only the same amount of characters, but replaced the one character with one that is no easier to type??

Tylorious
2013-11-06, 08:09 AM
Thanks for the heads up OP, neighborhood watch initiate.

GoblinArchmage
2013-11-06, 08:59 PM
:smallconfused:
err... sure, if it hurts you, but may I ask you why? it's a medical term for a specific kind of sexual disorder.
What's related to it, it's horrible, but the term itself is pretty neutral.

I think I overreacted, I'm sorry. I was under the impression that "hebophilia/ephebophilia" were terms that pedophiles use to make themselves seem less unhealthy. Normally, I only see people using it when they are either a) trying to cover up or justify the desire to abuse children, or b) making fun of people who commit option a, and I didn't know that the medical community actually differentiated between it and pedophilia. I apologize for my hostility.

Evandar
2013-11-06, 09:42 PM
People apologizing sincerely on the the internet, the apocalypse is upon us.

Togath
2013-11-07, 04:58 AM
If it helps, I'd thought you meant the word "'bout" =3

Ravens_cry
2013-11-07, 05:34 AM
With kids developing younger these days, it's not so surprising some people are attracted to people who are physically adults yet aren't past the semi-arbitrary line in the sand that varies from country to country. I don't see such a relationship going well for a lot of reasons, but it is understandable.
As for actually going after pre-pubescent children, that's really sick, it's deplorable, but again, antagonizing sick people isn't OK either. On a practical level, the sheer level of animosity and hatred paedophiles generate may very well hinder them seeking out counselling and possible treatment, if such a thing even exists.
You can't stop being gay, and that was once considered a mental illness too.*
On the other hand, this person seems to have gone past mental illness into active predation on others, whether before or past the line in the sand.
In that case, the warning is well received.
*No, I am not saying I expect paedophilia to become unclassified as mental illness like homosexuality has, just that it's a sexual attraction. Hard thing to remove that.

Killer Angel
2013-11-07, 07:04 AM
I think I overreacted, I'm sorry. I was under the impression that "hebophilia/ephebophilia" were terms that pedophiles use to make themselves seem less unhealthy. Normally, I only see people using it when they are either a) trying to cover up or justify the desire to abuse children, or b) making fun of people who commit option a, and I didn't know that the medical community actually differentiated between it and pedophilia. I apologize for my hostility.

Don't worry, it was clear it was a misunderstanding. :smallsmile:
BTW, i knew there was a real difference, 'cause i saw the subject discussed in a crime fiction (probably a Law & Order episode, don't recall it)