PDA

View Full Version : Dealing with a cursed

reapersoulEater
2013-11-03, 02:59 PM
Hello there fellow gamers i seem to have picked up some bad magic XD

In my current campaign I picked up a "cursed ring" that gives me a -6 to my will save.
Now some would say we use remove curse or something but my Character just simply loves! this ring and doesn't know any better. and to make it worse we are an evil party so no one would notice or care to find out according to dm.

well any ideas on tackling this problem. I.ve gone insane 3 times now thx to my will save haha

btw
I am a Half-vampire/human
lv8 cleric/lv1 fighter

Erik Vale
2013-11-03, 03:02 PM
Find some reason to have to take it off. It almost definately wont because it's cursed.
If it wont come off, then you have reason to investigate.
If it does, then you can just drop it somewhere and forget about it 'accidentally'.

Bovine Colonel
2013-11-03, 03:03 PM
Just because you're an evil party doesn't mean the other party members wouldn't care that you've got -6 to will saves. After all, if some wizard dominates you and turns you against the party that might put them at risk as well.

hymer
2013-11-03, 03:05 PM
Getting rid of it would require some sort of meta-gaming. If you're uncomfortable with that, you're going to have to accept things as-is.

If not, here's some possible courses of action which may lead out of your conundrum:

1: The other guys may be evil, but they're not better off when part of the group goes insane on a regular basis. Explain this to another player, and have him use this as justification for helping you.

2: The DM did this to you, and can take it away again. Talk to him, and ask him what he wants you to do to get your character back.

3: If you think you can make some NPC to take pity on you, go all 'my precious' with all the self-hatred in front of them. Maybe they will help you out, even if you try to keep the ring.

4: Kill your PC. Work with your DM to make a backup first, though.

Feint's End
2013-11-03, 03:24 PM
Evil doesn't mean "we don't care for our friends and comrades". Even evil ppl can care for their companions and value their lives really high. What your dm is talking about is a group full of paranoid hobos who would kill each other if the opportunity came up.

Angelalex242
2013-11-03, 03:27 PM
Actually, in an evil campaign, if you told me your will saves are at -6?

And I were playing caster...

I'd cackle evilly and dominate you myself! And if I need someone to spring traps for me, or stand between me and the armies of the righteous...an involuntary volunteer is you.

And that's if I'm feeling nice. If I'm not, I'll have you dance on hot coals, castrate yourself, or sacrifice yourself to a Balor as a trade for his aid on a personal quest of mine.

Never underestimate 'screw your neighbor' potential in an evil party.

Feint's End
2013-11-03, 04:05 PM

I'd cackle evilly and dominate you myself! And if I need someone to spring traps for me, or stand between me and the armies of the righteous...an involuntary volunteer is you.

And that's if I'm feeling nice. If I'm not, I'll have you dance on hot coals, castrate yourself, or sacrifice yourself to a Balor as a trade for his aid on a personal quest of mine.

Sounds like psychopathic evil to me and not necessarily evil.

Angelalex242
2013-11-03, 04:15 PM
My model for chaotic evil is The Joker.

Nuff said. If Heath Ledger wouldn't do it, I don't do it either :)

Epsilon Rose
2013-11-03, 04:33 PM
Hello there fellow gamers i seem to have picked up some bad magic XD

In my current campaign I picked up a "cursed ring" that gives me a -6 to my will save.
Now some would say we use remove curse or something but my Character just simply loves! this ring and doesn't know any better. and to make it worse we are an evil party so no one would notice or care to find out according to dm.

well any ideas on tackling this problem. I.ve gone insane 3 times now thx to my will save haha

btw
I am a Half-vampire/human
lv8 cleric/lv1 fighter
It seems kind of strange that your party, regardless of their evil tendencies, wouldn't notice or care about that sort of thing. Quite frankly, if I'm out to dominate the world and one of my most useful allies starts going insane at the drop of a hat, I'm going to put a ton of resources into finding out why and fixing it. As it stands, you'd be a liability to my plans and a danger to my person. That is not something that should be allowed to stand.

That's only one evil archetype, and not really a survivable one. If you dominate him, he's bound to get free eventually, and then it's one more powerful character trying to kill you; only this one isn't hamstrung by petty things like 'morals', or 'ethics' or 'concern for the well being of others'. Even if you go a more permanent route, it's generally a good idea to take good care of your tools and prevent them from falling into the hands of others. This precludes making him injure himself and allowing him to keep the -6 to will saves.

Angelalex242
2013-11-03, 05:05 PM
That archetype is perfectly survivable. Here's why.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/JokerImmunity

reapersoulEater
2013-11-03, 05:14 PM
Find some reason to have to take it off. It almost definately wont because it's cursed.
If it wont come off, then you have reason to investigate.
If it does, then you can just drop it somewhere and forget about it 'accidentally'.

Thats the thing according to dm my Pc is being "secretive" and loves the ring and is the best RING EVA! and i try making understand that my party would notice using golum from LOTR as an example but he said that im being "secretive" the ring only gives me a -6 will save btw it doesn't incur insanity that was just some fails against random encounters

Jack_Simth
2013-11-03, 05:18 PM

Do note that the trope doesn't apply nearly as cleanly to a game of D&D....

reapersoulEater
2013-11-03, 05:19 PM
It seems kind of strange that your party, regardless of their evil tendencies, wouldn't notice or care about that sort of thing. Quite frankly, if I'm out to dominate the world and one of my most useful allies starts going insane at the drop of a hat, I'm going to put a ton of resources into finding out why and fixing it. As it stands, you'd be a liability to my plans and a danger to my person. That is not something that should be allowed to stand.

I know right! ill try to make him understand because although we are evil(specifically neutral evil party) we still try our best to keep each other alive and well,while killing, sacrificing, lying and cheating anybody else that opposes us XD .

but as it stands the only thing i can hope for is to meet something that will cut my right arm haha

Ninjaxenomorph
2013-11-03, 05:21 PM
Aaaand this is why I don't let the cleric touch me in my PF game. Also, my personal house rule is not at the beginning of a game, if there is a LE cleric in the party, shiv them immediately.

Epsilon Rose
2013-11-03, 05:38 PM
Aaaand this is why I don't let the cleric touch me in my PF game. Also, my personal house rule is not at the beginning of a game, if there is a LE cleric in the party, shiv them immediately.
Why? Also, if this is a house rule, does that mean you're the DM? If so, why let them be an LE cleric in the first place?

I know right! ill try to make him understand because although we are evil(specifically neutral evil party) we still try our best to keep each other alive and well,while killing, sacrificing, lying and cheating anybody else that opposes us XD .

but as it stands the only thing i can hope for is to meet something that will cut my right arm haha

Thats the thing according to dm my Pc is being "secretive" and loves the ring and is the best RING EVA! and i try making understand that my party would notice using golum from LOTR as an example but he said that im being "secretive" the ring only gives me a -6 will save btw it doesn't incur insanity that was just some fails against random encounters

What does the ring do beyond bork your will save and why is the DM getting so much control over your character?

Ninjaxenomorph
2013-11-03, 05:41 PM
Why? Also, if this is a house rule, does that mean you're the DM? If so, why let them be an LE cleric in the first place

Mine as in my character will shiv any LE clerics. Or clerics that are obviously LE that try to hide their alignments.

Anyway, what exactly about the ring makes it so your character would not want to take it off?

Epsilon Rose
2013-11-03, 05:48 PM
Mine as in my character will shiv any LE clerics. Or clerics that are obviously LE that try to hide their alignments.

Again, why?

reapersoulEater
2013-11-03, 05:49 PM
What does the ring do beyond bork your will save and why is the DM getting so much control over your character?
Nothing much other than -6 to will save and my PC no wanting to take it off .
& iDK why his not even giving me a tiny clue to work on to fix this predicament

Anyway, what exactly about the ring makes it so your character would not want to take it off?
He described it as My pc believing is the best ring ever and he will not take it off no matter what .

so in other words even though i .ve had more than enough bad experience with it my pc still believes is a "awesome" ring

Ninjaxenomorph
2013-11-03, 05:50 PM
Again, why?

... Because LE clerics on multiple occasions have turned out to be scheming bastards.

Angelalex242
2013-11-03, 05:53 PM
Well, the typical cleric of Hextor is generally in favor of tyranny...it's what his god wants. So he wants to set a hierarchy up with himself as far up said ladder as is practical.

Epsilon Rose
2013-11-03, 06:15 PM
Nothing much other than -6 to will save and my PC no wanting to take it off .
& iDK why his not even giving me a tiny clue to work on to fix this predicament

He described it as My pc believing is the best ring ever and he will not take it off no matter what .

so in other words even though i .ve had more than enough bad experience with it my pc still believes is a "awesome" ring
That sounds like pretty bad railroading. How did that ring even get on his finger in the first place? Also, is there anything stopping your character from complaining about his muddled thinking/other symptoms of lowered will save and possibly mentioning that it started around the same time he got the ring, but claiming the ring isn't responsible? From that point, the other characters should be able to draw the proper conclusions.

... Because LE clerics on multiple occasions have turned out to be scheming bastards.
So instead you'll be a scheming bastard, and not a particularly good one either.

Ninjaxenomorph
2013-11-03, 06:40 PM
No, I'm being proactive. There's a difference.

Epsilon Rose
2013-11-03, 07:03 PM
No, I'm being proactive. There's a difference.

Really? What is it?

Ninjaxenomorph
2013-11-03, 07:05 PM
None of my characters really scheme against other party members unprovoked.

... Do Batman-style contingency plans count?

Madwand99
2013-11-03, 07:13 PM
If your PC beleives it "is the most awesome ring ever", then he might want to make it even better. Give it to an NPC caster to enhance it even further, with a +1 deflection bonus perhaps, or some other ring propery. You and he might notice a problem when you can't remove the ring. You'll have to get it uncursed in order to truly make it "the best ring ever".

Ninjaxenomorph
2013-11-03, 07:17 PM
If your PC beleives it "is the most awesome ring ever", then he might want to make it even better. Give it to an NPC caster to enhance it even further, with a +1 deflection bonus perhaps, or some other ring propery. You and he might notice a problem when you can't remove the ring. You'll have to get it uncursed in order to truly make it "the best ring ever".

(sorry to have derailed the thread slightly)

Yes, this is a good idea. Its a cool ring; why not make it absolutely awesome? And even if it 'already has an enchantment', you should be able to stack enhancements anyway.

reapersoulEater
2013-11-03, 07:21 PM
You sir are a gentleman and a scholar. good idea ill try that for sure:smallsmile:

Epsilon Rose
2013-11-03, 08:09 PM
None of my characters really scheme against other party members unprovoked.

... Do Batman-style contingency plans count?

That's a bit different from "shank them at the first opportunity."

TuggyNE
2013-11-03, 09:48 PM

So, plot armor from OOC popularity? Good luck with that when, OOC, people are ticked off.

Bruenin
2013-11-05, 07:19 AM
I remember reading about those cursed items. He put two curses on one item and refuses to let your allies attempt to to help you? ouch....

I'm trying to recall if a -6 will save was actually on the table for curses... I know there was some pretty crazy ones in the DMG but I don't have the book with me right now. There was another curse that made you irrationally afraid of anyone touching or harming the item so you'd be extremely protective over it, one that gave you a minus to hit from blurred vision and some other stuff.

Wouldn't getting the ring identified tell you what it has on it? If the ring is so super awesome you'd expect it to be magical, after identifying and realizing it's cursed you could do something about it couldn't you? Or alternatively at that point your allies wouldn't want to walk around with a curse hanging over their heads so they'd get rid of it whether or not you character in game would want them too.