PDA

View Full Version : Mongeral Folk ACF abuse?

CyberThread
2013-11-03, 08:20 PM
CAn any sort of weird abuse happen, with a mongeralfolk , who can count as any race, and combo it, with weird multi ACF's from the various class races?

Karnith
2013-11-03, 08:31 PM
At the risk of sounding ignorant, I believe that I am missing something. What ability do Mongrelfolk have that lets them qualify for other races' ACFs? I don't see anything in either the Fiend Folio or Races of Destiny, but I could well have missed it.

Fax Celestis
2013-11-03, 08:33 PM
I think he's misconstruing the Emulate Race feature, which only functions for items.

karkus
2013-11-03, 08:38 PM
IRHA

I Really Hate Acronyms. What's an ACF? :smallconfused:

Karnith
2013-11-03, 08:39 PM
IRHA

I Really Hate Acronyms. What's an ACF? :smallconfused:
Alternate Class Feature. They are options that replace standard class features with, well, alternate ones.

Boci
2013-11-03, 08:40 PM
Alternative Class Features. Some classes can what certain features for others.

Edit: Karnith I will get you :smallbiggrin:

Ravens_cry
2013-11-03, 08:50 PM
By many definitions, it's not an acronym but an initialism. Acronyms are where it spells out a word, like NASA, who love their intialisms and acronyms.
Compare that to, say, NSA, where you say each letter individually.
That's an initialism.
BOT, it's too bad the MF's RT only affects MI, amiright?:smalltongue:

Just to Browse
2013-11-03, 08:54 PM
This ability works like the emulate race function of the Use Magic Device skill.

This is spelled out in the race entry.

karkus
2013-11-03, 08:56 PM
Alternate Class Feature. They are options that replace standard class features with, well, alternate ones.

Alternative Class Features. Some classes can what certain features for others.

Edit: Karnith I will get you :smallbiggrin:

Thanks, guys! You guys were really clear in your explanations. But then there's...

BOT, it's too bad the MF's RT only affects MI, amiright?:smalltongue:

And I just;

http://media.heavy.com/media/2013/09/weird-eminem.jpg

lunar2
2013-11-03, 09:00 PM
Thanks, guys! You guys were really clear in your explanations. But then there's...

And I just;

http://media.heavy.com/media/2013/09/weird-eminem.jpg

(BOT?) the mongrelfolks' racial thing only affects magic items, am i right?

Just to Browse
2013-11-03, 09:04 PM
Back on topic, it's too bad the mongrelfolk's racial trait only affects magic items, amirite?

For your convenience.

Ravens_cry
2013-11-03, 09:14 PM
For your convenience.
Curses, you have decoded my overly initialized inter-network posting, transmitted through my modulation-demodulation device from my computational engine!:smalltongue:
OK, OK, I apologize for being rather a troll, though the reaction did make me laugh.

Just to Browse
2013-11-03, 09:18 PM
Off-topic now: After trolling some archived threads, here's a gem (cred. golentan):

"My librarian's a cop, spec-d to Sauce, forte in forts, but he ponies zombies. Evee's with 90% miss, no turtles, polished saves. Not fit for pizza"

Translation (when you give up):

I have a Cloistered Cleric (librarian), using nightstick cheese (cop). He specializes in Save or Suck ( = SoS = Sauce), mostly fort saves (forte in forts), but he's very specialized around a couple of tricks (ponies, like "One trick pony"), in this case necromancy (zombies, not literally). 90% miss chance. Doesn't wear heavy armor (no turtles). Saves are buffed (polished). Not intended/balanced for actual play (not fit for pizza = this cheese is not meant to be added to something more satisfying).

CyberThread
2013-11-03, 09:19 PM
go watch a planescape rp

Ravens_cry
2013-11-03, 09:38 PM
Off-topic now: After trolling some archived threads, here's a gem (cred. golentan):

"My librarian's a cop, spec-d to Sauce, forte in forts, but he ponies zombies. Evee's with 90% miss, no turtles, polished saves. Not fit for pizza"

I have a Cloistered Cleric (librarian), using nightstick cheese (cop). He specializes in Save or Suck ( = SoS = Sauce), mostly fort saves (forte in forts), but he's very specialized around a couple of tricks (ponies, like "One trick pony"), in this case necromancy (zombies, not literally). 90% miss chance. Doesn't wear heavy armor (no turtles). Saves are buffed (polished). Not intended/balanced for actual play (not fit for pizza = this cheese is not meant to be added to something more satisfying).
Where did you find that delightful piece of verbiage?:smallbiggrin:

Starbuck_II
2013-11-03, 09:59 PM

Love me that lingo, I got to say.
How did he get 90% miss chance?

Just to Browse
2013-11-04, 12:00 AM
It's on an old thread called "How can we be as confusing as possible with abbreviations?" (or something of that ilk)

No idea how he got that miss chance. But no wonder its cheesy.

Grod_The_Giant
2013-11-04, 12:09 AM
Kind of curious, though. If the Mongrelfolk's ability did work like the OP thought, could it be abused?

Coidzor
2013-11-04, 03:41 AM
Racial Substitution levels tend to come at around the same time, IIRC, mostly at 1st, 2nd, 4th, and 6th level, so there's that aspect working against it. Could definitely, say, get Mountain Rage on a build that wouldn't otherwise get it, I suppose.

I think you'd have to get a pretty special combo going on for it to really count as abuse though.

Vedhin
2013-11-04, 11:12 AM
By many definitions, it's not an acronym but an initialism. Acronyms are where it spells out a word, like NASA, who love their intialisms and acronyms.

Strictly speaking, NASA is still not an acronym, as nasa is not a word. It is correctly pronounced as "ehn-ay-ess-ay".
I know this because one of my friends is an actual rocket scientist.

TuggyNE
2013-11-04, 05:38 PM
Strictly speaking, NASA is still not an acronym, as nasa is not a word. It is correctly pronounced as "ehn-ay-ess-ay".

Hmm. The various books I've read of the early space program led me to believe that while N.A.C.A. was always pronounced as an initialism, NASA was conventionally an acronym, among essentially all the scientists and bureaucrats and engineers in the program. So it kind of seems like that might be the sort of pedantic prescriptivism that says "don't end sentences with prepositions!", which is, in actual usage, incorrect. (After all, technically wrong is the best kind of wrong.)

Ravens_cry
2013-11-04, 06:11 PM
Language is conversational, especially English. People say NASA as a word, not as a string of individual letters, even those who work for NASA.
It's an acronym.