PDA

View Full Version : Windows 8 gaming

oblivion6
2013-11-03, 08:55 PM
So I recently got myself a new gaming PC that uses the Windows 8 OS. Works great, even running games at the highest graphics settings available. The problem? For multiple games I can't get the music to play at all once the game actually begins. Ambient sound efffects work fine, just the music won't play. Like I stated before, I have tried many games so far(Oblivion, Neverwinter Nights 2, Neverwinter--leading me to believe it is the computer itself and not the games.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks in advance.

Anajamois
2013-11-03, 10:13 PM
Damn you, Bill Gates!

I don't really know. Try looking through the music folders if you can, see if the music files are there, and play fine through a media player. If they do, I don't know.

psilontech
2013-11-03, 10:57 PM
Can you give us specific examples of which games this occurs on?

Flickerdart
2013-11-03, 11:11 PM
Right-click a shortcut to the game in question, select Properties, then go to the Compatibility tab. See if you can mess around with the settings there to get the games to work properly.

Ailurus
2013-11-03, 11:25 PM
Well, the "good" news is its not the OS at fault. Even Flickerdart's compatibility mode suggestion shouldn't be necessary (though, of course, it can't hurt and is a good default first step). At least for Oblivion and NWN2, no need to mess around with compatibility modes to get them working properly on Win8 (can't recall on NWN1, pretty sure it was OK though)

My initial suggestion would be to check the drivers for your sound system. The Windows 8.1 update (at least in my case) played MAJOR havok on my drivers when I did it, and if "recently" is the last few weeks then you almost certainly have 8.1. As with any OS release, it doesn't seem like Microsoft had all that many solid drivers ready to go on launch day, but you should be able to find working ones on the manufacturer's website by now. (Of course, in my case, the audio drivers were one of the few which didn't have issues, but you never know)

Psyren
2013-11-03, 11:28 PM
Your drivers would be my first stop. Don't rely on the autoupdate feature either, go straight to the manufacturer's website - the definition files are often on a time-lag.

oblivion6
2013-11-03, 11:42 PM
Can you give us specific examples of which games this occurs on?

Oblivion, NWN, NWN2, Dragon Age Origins, Neverwinter(the new MMO. Now I understand since it is still in beta essentially there is issues at times, but not like this.) so far. All games that worked fine on my old Vista.

I got this new Windows 8 literally a week ago. Would I still need to update the drivers to compensate for the 8.1?

Good call on the Compatibility Mode. I thought I was forgetting a very simple potential fix. I'll check that soon.

Psyren
2013-11-04, 12:13 AM
I got this new Windows 8 literally a week ago. Would I still need to update the drivers to compensate for the 8.1?

Although Windows 8.1 was released to the public very recently, what you need to keep in mind is that many developers and manufacturers either had early access, or are privy to direct channels with the Microsoft devs, and in many cases can be aware of/working on solving issues that the new version can have with their products.

In addition, your drivers may not have been the latest even when you were on 8.0. Bottom line is it never hurts to look into that sort of thing and rarely is it harmful to keep your drivers updated.

Mando Knight
2013-11-04, 12:54 AM
Oblivion, NWN, NWN2, Dragon Age Origins, Neverwinter(the new MMO. Now I understand since it is still in beta essentially there is issues at times, but not like this.) so far. All games that worked fine on my old Vista.

Good call on the Compatibility Mode. I thought I was forgetting a very simple potential fix. I'll check that soon.

Neverwinter is out of Beta. Even if it doesn't always feel like it.

That said, driver issues are the most likely culprit since it's across multiple games.

Flickerdart
2013-11-04, 01:01 AM
It's very easy to check which version you're on - 8.1 has a Start button (the new Windows logo) and 8.0 doesn't. 8.1 does have some driver issues on some computers right now, so it is very possible that your manufacturer hasn't gotten around to putting out drivers yet. I'm in that boat, myself - Samsung has been notoriously unhelpful when it comes to 8.1 drivers, and I've had to beat both my video drivers into submission to get lost functionality back.

lesser_minion
2013-11-06, 02:57 AM
It's very easy to check which version you're on - 8.1 has a Start button (the new Windows logo) and 8.0 doesn't. 8.1 does have some driver issues on some computers right now, so it is very possible that your manufacturer hasn't gotten around to putting out drivers yet. I'm in that boat, myself - Samsung has been notoriously unhelpful when it comes to 8.1 drivers, and I've had to beat both my video drivers into submission to get lost functionality back.

Do you have any more details on what you did? Right now, I've managed to end up with both of my video drivers being oddly unstable after the update.

Flickerdart
2013-11-06, 11:04 AM
Do you have any more details on what you did? Right now, I've managed to end up with both of my video drivers being oddly unstable after the update.
I'm assuming you have two drivers because, like me, you have an integrated and dedicated card. Uninstall both drivers as completely as you can, then install (in order) your Intel driver and then your dedicated driver. I had the benefit of trial and error by helpful internet nerds to determine which ones to install; I ended up using a Windows 8 driver for the Intel (fetched using Samsung Update) and a beta driver for my Radeon card downloaded from AMD's site. Look around for forums with people who use similar devices.

Avilan the Grey
2013-11-07, 07:59 AM

Windows 8 (both versions) messess with my Wi-Fi card. Sometimes, without reason, it claims it cannot find the default gateway so you only have local net access, OR just loses the connection completely. If you click "repair", it works. A known issue aparently; at least my connection is always stable after the repair.

Flickerdart
2013-11-07, 02:10 PM
Windows 8 (both versions) messess with my Wi-Fi card. Sometimes, without reason, it claims it cannot find the default gateway so you only have local net access, OR just loses the connection completely. If you click "repair", it works. A known issue aparently; at least my connection is always stable after the repair.

That used to happen to me on my university network. The techs told me to reduce WiFi roaming aggressiveness to medium-low and upgrade drivers. It worked (or perhaps the update to 8.1 did) and the errors went away.

Avilan the Grey
2013-11-07, 04:51 PM
That used to happen to me on my university network. The techs told me to reduce WiFi roaming aggressiveness to medium-low and upgrade drivers. It worked (or perhaps the update to 8.1 did) and the errors went away.

Okay, tried the first. Let's see how it goes (already found new drivers about 2 weeks ago).

oblivion6
2013-11-14, 10:54 PM
So I fixed it... It was a simple matter of being plugged into the wrong jack(one designed for 4 speakers instead of 2)... *Cue embarrasing music*

Psyren
2013-11-14, 11:25 PM
So I fixed it... It was a simple matter of being plugged into the wrong jack(one designed for 4 speakers instead of 2)... *Cue embarrasing music*

This made me laugh far louder than it should have :smallbiggrin:

oblivion6
2013-11-15, 12:42 AM
This made me laugh far louder than it should have :smallbiggrin:

Would have done the same to me. It just never registered that "oh, there must be a reason for more than one color-coded jack." Anyone have a stick-figure avatar with a dunce cap for me? :smalltongue:

Avilan the Grey
2013-11-15, 03:39 AM
Okay, the network has been stable since I changed the roaming aggressiveness. Thanks Flickerdart!! :smallbiggrin:

Now... after yesterdays Windows Updates, it doesn't turn off all the way. Even if I pick "turn off" and not "sleep mode", the power is still supplied to the USB ports (I can tell, since the fans on my cooling pad is still on after the computer is shut off). Weird.