PDA

View Full Version : Whirling Dervish, how?

Buddha's_Cookie
2013-11-03, 08:56 PM
I was reading through the Dervish Handbook (http://community.wizards.com/forum/previous-editions-character-optimization/threads/1057856) (top of the second post) and the build for whirling dervish was given as:

Swashbuckler 3
Fighter 2
Dervish 10
Tempest 5

My question is that, where does the required ranks in Perform (Dance) come from? Many of the classes I want to use for my dervish build don't have this skill. Right now it looks like my only reasonable option is: Swash 3/ Rouge 1 (or 2)/ Scout 5/ Dervish 10 (not in that order).

This issue applies to an "optimized build" found here (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Ultimate_Damage_Dervish_(3.5e_Optimized_Character_ Build)), that looks nice until you realize that rangers and scouts don't have Perform (Dance) either.

If anyone can help me, I am not looking for the over optimized win all or the back and forth discussion on how good dervish really is as a class.

Grod_The_Giant
2013-11-03, 09:01 PM
They're probably just buying the ranks cross-class. It's only 3 ranks/6 points, after all-- hardly a big deal, especially if you have enough Int to make the Swashbuckler dip worth it.

Eldariel
2013-11-03, 09:02 PM
Where does it come from? Cross-class ranks. It's only 3 ranks, you can cross-class it by level 5 (you'll even have extras to spare) with any class and have 2 ranks to spare.

EDIT: Swordsage'd.

Buddha's_Cookie
2013-11-03, 09:11 PM
I did not realize you could buy Perform as a cross-class skill. You both are right, but seems a bit inefficient. Eh it works for my purposes. Thanks

Chambers
2013-11-03, 09:14 PM
A few years ago one of the PC's at the table was a Scout type Dervish. He made really good use of the Elusive Target and Improved Trip feats. As he moved 10ft before provoking the attack from Elusive Target, his free attack after he tripped them (via Improved Trip) got his Skirmish dice. The Elusive Target trip attack technically isn't an Attack of Opportunity so that limit didn't apply.

He'd walk by as many enemies as he could on his turn and he'd usually trip 3 or 4 of them, getting Skirmish on each, and then take his Standard action attack at the end of his movement.

[/CSB]

holywhippet
2013-11-03, 09:22 PM
I did not realize you could buy Perform as a cross-class skill. You both are right, but seems a bit inefficient. Eh it works for my purposes. Thanks

You can buy any skill as a cross class skill in 3.5 I believe. I seem to recall in 3.0 that UMD was restricted to rogues and bards though.

Eldariel
2013-11-03, 09:23 PM
A few years ago one of the PC's at the table was a Scout type Dervish. He made really good use of the Elusive Target and Improved Trip feats. As he moved 10ft before provoking the attack from Elusive Target, his free attack after he tripped them (via Improved Trip) got his Skirmish dice. The Elusive Target trip attack technically isn't an Attack of Opportunity so that limit didn't apply.

He'd walk by as many enemies as he could on his turn and he'd usually trip 3 or 4 of them, getting Skirmish on each, and then take his Standard action attack at the end of his movement.

[/CSB]

Add to that Knock-Down for hilarity to enable tripping with your normal attacks and hell, Robilar's Gambit & Combat Reflexes for even more hilarity. :smalltongue:

gorfnab
2013-11-03, 09:59 PM
Here is a basic Dervish Swift Hunter Build I have had some minor success with.

Human (or some other race + Flaws)
Scout 5/ Ranger 2/ Barbarian Whirling Frenzy (UA) Spiritual Totem: Lion (CC) 1/ Dervish 9/ Scout 3
Feats:
1. Expeditious Dodge or regular Dodge, Mobility
3. Weapon Finesse
4. B: Combat Expertise
6. Weapon Focus Scimitar
7. B: Two Weapon Fighting
9. Improved Two Weapon Fighting
12. Swift Hunter
15. Greater Two Weapon Fighting
18. *Open Feat*
20. B: Improved Skirmish

*Open Feat Options* - Improved Critical Scimitar (decent as usual), Extra Rage (set to Whirling Frenzy), Elusive Target (negates Power Attackers), Combat Reflexes (extra attacks, somewhat situational depending on the game), Deadly Defense (combos with Elaborate Parry), Flay Foe, or Nemesis (great for Arcane Hunter Ranger ACF)

morkendi
2013-11-03, 10:37 PM
One of my favorite builds I have played and still playing some. Cobra strike monk 2/ pally 2/ fighter 2/ dervish 8 so far. I took VoP. Monk gave the perform dance as well as dodge and mobility. Also evation. Pally gave divine grace and your perform is cha based. Fighter for bonus feats. To qualify, versatile unarmed strike make your unarmed strike count as slashing. All other feats just improved my damage and such. Since you got to take the dodge and mobility, you might as well take elusive target feat to. It works well with dervish as you move through the battle. Causing enemies to hit each other is fun. I was honestly surprised how well this character worked out. High saves and ac. You can flurry while dancing and moving.

StreamOfTheSky
2013-11-04, 08:11 PM

Yeah, I've done that, except with a guisarme (and bladed gauntlet) -using power dervish. It works really, really well. At least till the enemies stop trying to AoO you b/c they're not *that* dumb.

Really, Dervish requires all the feats Elusive Target does anyway and it's an incredible feat, there's no good reason not to take it.

The Cause Overreach is even better than you describe; it also does not risk a counter-trip if you fail.