PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Oracle/mysterious stranger build

Rushalt
2013-11-03, 10:03 PM
This will be the first time I've played pathfinder and I need some build advice or just a "that won't work you're dumb this is better" answer. I wanna be the face of the group but also deal some dmg without sacrificing many oracle levels. So I figured if I were to take a few levels of mysterious stranger I could possibly attack twice a round and add my cha mod to dmg a few times a day, however I don't know if that would take to many levels to be viable and ultimately make my oracle levels worthless. I also was looking for something like the swashbuckler class from 3.5 where you could get a 15-20 crit range fairly easy with rapier and add cha to boosts for both classes. Would either of those builds be a viable face aswell as help the group in fights if not I might just go with full oracle with the life mystery and be the healer (which im trying to stay away from as it would be fairly boring for me just sitting back and healing). So any ideas to make those work or ne other build ideas to have an oracle/(cha class) that I could implement any advice is welcomed and I thank you for giving me your time.

grarrrg
2013-11-03, 10:49 PM
Just one level of Mysterious Stranger Gunslinger should be plenty, as it's VERY front loaded.

And being the "face" as an Oracle shouldn't be too hard, as long as you don't tank your INT score.

I might just go with full oracle with the life mystery and be the healer (which im trying to stay away from as it would be fairly boring for me just sitting back and healing).

Oradin (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=257365) will help solve your "boring" problems if it comes to that.

Rushalt
2013-11-04, 12:20 AM
Oradin looks pretty fun actually I might go with that. I haven't looked at paladins yet in pathfinder do they still get a celestial mount and if so is there a decent prestige class for mounted archery or anything of the like so I would be able to stay in between a melee ally and a ranged ally to keep the 30ft distance for life link on both while still attacking?

avr
2013-11-04, 01:55 AM
No prestige class, no. Pathfinder's prestige classes tend to be very specific and there isn't one that'll help.

Paladins still can get a mount but if you're going oradin and gunslinger you won't have the 5 levels in the class required for a while. You might just have to buy a horse if you want to move and full attack with a bow.

PF does give slightly more feats, and some archetypes give bonus feats. A human taking Paladin (Divine Hunter) can get the basic feats for what you want to do (Point-blank shot, Precise shot, Rapid Reload, Mounted Combat, Mounted Archery) by 5th level.

IronFist
2013-11-04, 04:43 AM
I'd drop Gunslinger and go with an Archer Paladin.

Spore
2013-11-04, 04:57 AM
Just be a melee oracle. You aren't cornered in like the paladin is, and there is plenty of toys to pick for a melee oracle. Give this nice guide (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1WdtrZCESRmVfljXY196wMrMLTnS8Uzk4DEk3oQdVZok/edit) a read and then listen to me:

I'd say, you get a Ifrit melee oracle. Get Ancestor, Battle, Life, Metal or Stone, grab a mace and an armor. Hack away.

Healing in PF is an out of combat duty, but happily, for an Oradin it is a free action with life link and lay on hands, so while you DO heal, you do so whilst killing the big bad demon spider.

Ifrit Paladin 2/Oracle x

1: Paladin: Smite Evil, Detect Evil, Aura of Good; Feat: Power Attack
2: Paladin: Lay on Hands, Divine Grace;
3: Oracle (Life): Curse: Haunted (if using heavy armor, lame),; Revelation: Channel; Feat: Extra Revelation: Life Link

etc.

Xunthrae
2013-11-04, 09:03 AM
Wouldn't lame be a better curse since he will likely be wearing med-heavy armor and so his move speed will be lowered anyway, as opposed to haunted where it increases the action size to get an item out if it is needed?

Spore
2013-11-04, 10:36 AM
Wouldn't lame be a better curse since he will likely be wearing med-heavy armor and so his move speed will be lowered anyway, as opposed to haunted where it increases the action size to get an item out if it is needed?

Good point. If you wear adamantine heavy armor, go for lame. If you go for medium armor, make it mithril and stay haunted, or maybe wasting, but that fluff image is disgusting me...

Rushalt
2013-11-04, 09:14 PM
when I mentioned using a mount with arrows I meant with the oradin build as the paladin levels from that would allow me to grab the celestial mount. I'll look over that guide Sporeegg thanks. Any more ideas and tips are still welcomed and appreciated. My role still isn't forged in steel since im not sure what the other 2 players want to make just looking for a fairly poignant fighter(fighter as in overall damage dealer) with some healing ability, a jack-of-most helpful overall to the party-trades as it would be to act as the face as well so that the other 2 players (who have scant experience with pen and paper games) can do whatever it is they want character wise and our party will still be able to survive. I also need to get some more background on the campaign we are doing to know more about the enemies,lore, and goals that are to be set forth for us as a party to overcome/accomplish.

grarrrg
2013-11-04, 10:12 PM
...so I would be able to stay in between a melee ally and a ranged ally to keep the 30ft distance for life link on both while still attacking?

Life Link has a "medium" range, which means 100ft. +10ft./(Oracle) level.

Staying in range shouldn't be much of an issue.

satorian
2013-11-04, 11:29 PM
Might not be the worst idea to read up on the X stat to Y bonus linked and done by the guy just above me. Charisma can do a lot for an Oracle no matter his role.

grarrrg
2013-11-05, 12:23 AM
Might not be the worst idea to read up on the X stat to Y bonus linked and done by the guy just above me. Charisma can do a lot for an Oracle no matter his role.

Yeah, but it _really_ helps if you go Nature or Lore for CHA to AC (replaces DEX).
Noble Scion feat grants CHA to Initiative instead of DEX.
2 levels of Paladin is CHA to all Saves.
1 level of Mysterious Stranger Gunslinger is CHA to damage.

That's about the extent of it.
The Gunslinger option doesn't really play nice with the "dump DEX" that Nature/Lore and Noble Scion bring though, as you need DEX to Hit, and for Ranged feats.