PDA

View Full Version : Need a character for a new game, rules inside.

UmpteenthDoctor
2013-11-03, 10:51 PM
Alright so I just arranged a new 3.5 game and here are the stipulations that the GM has put down for us.

Level 5: No Prestige classes (At least till this point)
Wealth by Level
32 Point Buy (Base is an 8)
Max on a prebought Armor or Weapon is a +2
Races (Any race so long as their ECL at creation is not above ECL3 before classes)
Templates: Any Non-Aquired Templates (No Vampires or Werewolfs for instance)
Any Age group
Classes can come from the Core Books, Oriental, the Complete Boosk, SW(Stormwreck) / SS(Sandstorm)/ FB(Frostburn) books

So it has to be a level 5 build, Wealth is at least wealth by level
32 point buy (9-14=1, 15-16=2, 17-18=3)
Any Race up to something thats ECL is 3 (Not including the Class levels)
Any Templates that does not hold the acquire style to it. However the GM did say that the Inherited style of the Werewolf template is ok.

So what do you guys recommend?
I currently have no idea and I have a week to set this character up.

EDIT: I am looking for something of either a Caster (or Artificer) or maybe a more Skill Focused Caster.

Multiclassing is allowed.

Kuulvheysoon
2013-11-03, 10:57 PM
What kind of character do you want to play? Melee, ranged, caster, skillmonkey, etc...

You'll have to give the Playground a bit of your preferences if you want detailed help.

UmpteenthDoctor
2013-11-03, 11:18 PM
I don't have a strong preference but I added an EDIT to the OP with some ideas.

Werephilosopher
2013-11-03, 11:26 PM
Right off the top of my head, bards are the quintessential skillful caster. Unfortunately, they usually fall behind full-blown wizards and rogues by trying to have their cake and eat it too.

I think there's a handy prestige class that lets you sneak attack with rays, which would make a wizard/rogue combo golden. I'm afb atm, so I'm not sure if it's in your allowed material.

UmpteenthDoctor
2013-11-03, 11:30 PM
The GM doesn't want us using Prestige classes at least not till later.

Zweisteine
2013-11-03, 11:38 PM
My ideas are more fun than effective, and based on at least a little DM fiat.

1. Primordial Half-Giant Wizard, Sorcerer, or Warlock (though that's not in the listed books...). Primordial is a giant-only +0 LA template from Secrets of Xen'drik. It is very good, but probably not worth the Half-Giant's LA, unless you can convince your DM to let you buy off the LA before character creation and still be level 5.

2. Hengeyokai Druid. If your DM rules that Natural Spell works on the Hengeyokai's alternate form, be a sparrow, shove the entire point buy into mental abilities (maybe save two points or constitution), and fly around raining doom on your enemies. When you need to land, ride your Animal companion in bird form, or Wild Shape. This could be very fun, and effective as wellc but -2 Wisdom will hurt a bit. You might also need to pay extra for bird-sized magic items, and change your body slots a bit.

Pickford
2013-11-03, 11:46 PM
Classes can come from the Core Books, Oriental, the Complete Boosk, SW(Shipwreck) / SS(Sandstorm)/ FB(Frostburn) books

Aren't there no classes except in the core/oriental and complete books?

UmpteenthDoctor
2013-11-03, 11:57 PM
He means by this no 3rd party or classes from the web kinda stuff.

Grod_The_Giant
2013-11-04, 12:01 AM
Aren't there no classes except in the core/oriental and complete books?
Nah. PHB 2, Heroes of Horror, Dungeonscape, and Miniatures Handbook all have base classes, along with whatever Eberron book had the Artificer. Not to mention all the variant system books (XPH, ToB, ToM, MoI).

UmpteenthDoctor
2013-11-04, 12:02 AM
Isn't the PHII considered core? Or at least core related?

Grod_The_Giant
2013-11-04, 12:08 AM
Isn't the PHII considered core? Or at least core related?
Not usually. Core generally means PHB, DMG, and MMI. Sometimes anything on the SRD, but not usually.

Pickford
2013-11-04, 12:09 AM
Nah. PHB 2, Heroes of Horror, Dungeonscape, and Miniatures Handbook all have base classes, along with whatever Eberron book had the Artificer. Not to mention all the variant system books (XPH, ToB, ToM, MoI).

I meant from the quoted books. There's only PrCs in Stormwrack, for example.

UmpteenthDoctor
2013-11-04, 12:14 AM
I will ask him about the SRD thing, I am not sure he may have basically meant the SRD but just didnt think of it.

But for now whats listed is there. He is allowing things like having the Elan be immortal for the purposes of the age benefits. So I have some slack

Lucid
2013-11-04, 01:39 AM
See if you can get the Beguiler from PHB2 accepted. It's the quintessential skillful caster imo.
Int based spontaneous casting from a fixed list mostly focused on illusion & enchantment, 6+int skillpts with a good list, trapfinding and class features that synchronize well.

UmpteenthDoctor
2013-11-04, 01:44 AM
Beguiler is open anything in the Player Handbook II that is open I asked him and he mentioned it was cool to use the second Player Handbook.

Kane0
2013-11-04, 02:48 AM
Seconding beguiler

Also dread necromancer, warlock or wu jen if you want to try other fun casters.

Khedrac
2013-11-04, 07:42 AM
If you are going full caster (and Beguilers are fun to play) then avoid anything with a level adjustment.

Small races are good for casters, especially sneaky ones, though (most) lose the human bonus feat. Gnomes and Whisper Gnomes are usually reckoned as good Beguilers. Halfings should work, and if you can get the FR ones with the bonus feat allowed... :D

nedz
2013-11-04, 07:57 AM
Seconding Thirding Fourthing Beguiler.
Any idea when PrCs are allowed because it's really helpful to delay Beguiler 7 with 1 level dip in a full casting PrC (you can come back to the PrC later) because this allows you to spend the Advanced Learning on a 4th level spell (Pro Tip: Shadow Conjuration).

Also: this (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=363) is a Beguiler handbook, which may be helpful.

Raezeman
2013-11-04, 08:23 AM
dragonfire adept is always nice

UmpteenthDoctor
2013-11-04, 09:19 AM
I asked the GM about DFA last night, I am fond of the Dragonborn fluff and he got DFA mixed with Dragon Disciple and we had a bit of a laugh as he called it over powered and I looked at him like he had four noses.

Beguiler is a class I do wanna try and thanks for the link. I am sure it will just be after we start playing so 6-7th level.

As for LA I think the ECL 3 is gonna be ignored. So I could have a Race with an ECL beore class levels of 3, and then add my five class levels with the way he is talking.

Of course he could always get his lay butt on the playground and inform us all equally.

EDIT: I am interested in maybe playing a Doctor Who style character. My GF is playing with us and we are huge fans and she would get a kick out of it.

nedz
2013-11-04, 09:51 AM
EDIT: I am interested in maybe playing a Doctor Who style character. My GF is playing with us and we are huge fans and she would get a kick out of it.

How about
Beguiler of Fharlanghn

Beguiler 5 / Divine Oracle 1 / Beguiler +2 / Divine Oracle +2 / Beguiler ++
Educated [1], Arcane Disciple [1], Skill Focus [Know(Religion)][3], Arcane Disciple [6][9]
Domains: Portal at 1st, Travel at 6th, Balance at 9th, Oracle at 6th (Divine Oracle)

No time spells, just transport.

UmpteenthDoctor
2013-11-04, 11:40 AM
Hmm I might be able to use that if I can Prestige Class after 5th level. If not I will have to work it differently.

BTW anyone know a way of getting Lich template after 5th level? I know it says to cast the spells it needs to be Caster Level 11th but is there anyway around it? A Good Lich might fit my Immortal yet regenerate aspect and I could fluff it up a little.

Its monsters of Faerun but he said the class has to be from the core and such not the templates or races.

Kuulvheysoon
2013-11-04, 11:46 AM
Hmm I might be able to use that if I can Prestige Class after 5th level. If not I will have to work it differently.

BTW anyone know a way of getting Lich template after 5th level? I know it says to cast the spells it needs to be Caster Level 11th but is there anyway around it? A Good Lich might fit my Immortal yet regenerate aspect and I could fluff it up a little.

Its monsters of Faerun but he said the class has to be from the core and such not the templates or races.

Technically you can qualify for the CL11 with a sufficiently advanced SLA (or PLA if he's using transparency).

XmonkTad
2013-11-04, 11:55 AM
Beguiler sounds like the way to go to me too. After 5th level, going sand shaper (Sand) would give you a "make anything" ability, and a few more spells to your list. As for races, have you considered an Ashtari? They glow. I'm not sure if that's something the doctor does, but the you go.

Also: it's "Stormwrack" not "Shipwreck".

UmpteenthDoctor
2013-11-04, 11:56 AM
Hmm any you can think of? I am curious because I am not allowed Acquired Templates to start but nothing to say I couldn't take it after we begin to play.

The Cost would of course be an issue but meh I just need to know if I can get it earlier then 11th level.

Also there is an Elven Good Lich that does not require a Phylactery

Red Fel
2013-11-04, 12:02 PM

If you're going for some kind of undead to simulate the Doctor's regeneration, I would suggest finding a way to become Deathless instead. They're basically a special type of undead powered by Positive instead of Negative energy, so they're almost universally Good and generally much more friendly than undead.

That, and nine times out of ten, you kind of have to be pretty dad-gum evil to become a Lich. Admittedly, going by modern incarnations of the Doctor, you could pull off a "single act of great evil," but classically, that's just not the Doctor's style.

As another option altogether, you could play an Elan. These are psionic lifeforms, like the Doctor. They are functionally ageless (subject to some RAW debate), and can remove the need to eat or drink, remove damage before it happens (a poor man's Regeneration) and can gain a boost to saving throws. They have no level adjustment, and a -2 Charisma, which is perfect for the Doctor, who, as you well know, has always been a bit "off".

Frankly, I think you could do quite well with an Elan.

UmpteenthDoctor
2013-11-04, 12:11 PM
I honestly was considering that, A Elan Psionic Artificer if I can get Eberron books in would be perfect as he could create Sonic Screwdrivers.

But healing damage was not a form of regeneration he does nto have fast healing. when he gets badly wounded he literally changes his body which is why the Lich's regeneration worked.

As said in the book Libris Mortis they do have a Variant for a Good Lich page 156 if you wanna look at it. Though I am not sure if it gets the normal Fear Aura and Touch stuff as a Lich or just whats listed there. Or if that CR just adds a +1 to the Lich or to the base creature.