PDA

View Full Version : [PF/3.5] Optimizing a Reanimator Alchemist

Rasman
2013-11-04, 04:19 AM
Sadly there does not seem to be a lot of resources for the Alchemist class, thus I have turned to you Playgrounders.

For my next game, the current campaign is ending relatively soon, I've decided to play an Elven Reanimator Alchemist. Other than the race, class and the Implant Bomb feat, I haven't decided on much. I always plan on leveling to 20, because that's how far this last campaign has come along, so insight based on that would be highly valued. I'm not precisely sure what I want to do with this guy, other than the fact that he will mostly make zombies and have them do his fighting for him while they explode upon their impending deaths, for the greater good of course.

Feat wise I'm almost afraid that I will spend most of my feats on extra discoveries. Thoughts?

Spore
2013-11-04, 04:39 AM
Will you focus on bombs and extracts, on mutagen or a mix of both? The Alchemist is highly flexible and thus not to be pinpointed in a certain corner of effectiveness. Be aware, that it is not RAW, but highly intended, that you are under control of your zombies as they are creatures, not spell effects. Better double-check this with your DM.

For the discoveries, I'd say: Infusion (pass your buffs), Force bomb (ghosts and creatures immune to fire), preserve organs (pre), mummification (most of the nifty undead immunities), eternal potion (like a wondrous item, but for free), stink bomb (nauseated halves the actions per round).

Further information: http://pathfinder.ogrehut.com/2010/07/alchemist-build-guide/

Rasman
2013-11-04, 05:19 AM
I think his focus will mostly be in bombs, not really throwing them, but Implanting them into the Zombies and him kinda hiding out and letting them 'deliver' them for him.

Spore
2013-11-04, 05:34 AM
While this might be a great idea once in a while, I do not recommend this as a tactic in low levels. Each zombie costs onyx, when blown up. And even when your zombie lives for several encounters, it has a bomb in him that counts to your daily allotment of bombs.

Furthermore, how do you triggert your bombs? If you read the fluff of the bombs, you have to mix catalyst and bomb to make it explosive, and it looses that property if not thrown within rounds, and bombs that leave your possession are considered unmagical inert items. You'd have to create mundane bombs (which cost extra, so now your zombie costs onyx plus the costs for a alchemist's fire.

Not to mention that some people in your group (Paladins, Druids, Clerics, sane people) might object to you using bodies for bombs.

JHShadon
2013-11-04, 05:40 AM
Furthermore, how do you triggert your bombs? If you read the fluff of the bombs, you have to mix catalyst and bomb to make it explosive, and it looses that property if not thrown within rounds, and bombs that leave your possession are considered unmagical inert items.

Implant Bomb. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/implant-bomb)

Spore
2013-11-04, 05:44 AM
Thanks. This is even more expensive than I thought.

BWR
2013-11-04, 09:24 AM
Anything that lets you do this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNcnudXLN2g).

Vortenger
2013-11-04, 11:58 PM
Not a lot of resources?

N. Jolly's Guide (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=293307)

Ogre's Guide
(http://pathfinder.ogrehut.com/2010/07/alchemist-build-guide/)

That should give you some source material.

Rasman
2013-11-05, 01:32 AM
Firstly, BWR, that's the strangest thing I have ever watched in terms of a Zombie Movie, except for maybe that one where Zombies could drive...that one was pretty weird...

Second, I looked at those two, Vortenger, and they don't really have much specific to the Reanimator. I guess I can take from the "Strangelob" from Ogre's stuff and focus on the bombing things they have to offer, but I suppose I was looking for specific things to the Reanimator.

Vortenger
2013-11-05, 10:37 AM
Sadly there does not seem to be a lot of resources for the Alchemist class, thus I have turned to you Playgrounders.

Sorry, must have misunderstood you somehow. :smallwink:

You're right, there's next to nothing specific to reanimation. Please let us know what you come up with, more information is always useful!

Spore
2013-11-05, 11:19 AM
The main reason is because if you go undead, you mostly go Necromancer, evil Cleric or beyond. Or Juju Oracle. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/oracle/mysteries/paizo---oracle-mysteries/juju)

That being said reanimator is quite the weak choice (you could have preservationist with zombie flavoured summons + planar preservationist feat), but flavourful.

You should check for desecrated areas or ask your DM for an equivalent of the spell because of the heightened limit for undead HD.

Rasman
2013-11-05, 11:41 AM
Ah, I mistyped. I meant for the Reanimator Alchemist Class. My bad, Vortenger.

Juju Oracle is actually slightly tempting, but Juju Oracle, Necromancer and Evil Cleric don't really fit the idea of what the character is trying to accomplish, researching bringing back the dead without the need of divine magic. On top of that, simply because it seems like a less loved Archtype, it seems far more challenging than if I were to play one of the more OP classes.

Believe me, after playing a Planar Shepherd from level 1 to 20 over 3 years with a Wizard that pretty well cheated and pretty much cast like a Sorcerer and had Skill checks that came out over 70 and a Cleric that healed such massive amounts of damage that we should have popped from excess amounts of Positive Energy, I'm a little burned out on the OP classes atm.

I'm mostly just looking for ways to make this character work, be effective, and make for a more creative playing experience than "I have a spell for that."

Mr. Whatever
2013-11-07, 05:41 PM
I would like to point out that although you do gain some awesome zombie minions, this archetype does make your bombs weaker, so you would probably be better off going more the Dr. Hyde route for combat purposes. At max level your bomb would be dealing 7d4 as opposed to the standard 10d6, which is less than half max damage.

That being said, if you want for the more melee bruiser type (Which is awesome) you could also get the Mummification and frost bomb discoveries in addition to the implant bomb feat. Implant your minions with Frost Bombs, and when they die they deal damage to the enemy AND you're immune to the splash damage. Plus part of the requirements is preserve organs so you also gain some resistance to critical hits.

Chained Birds
2013-11-07, 10:52 PM
If you are going for Zombie Bombs, then I'd recommend going more of a Buff/Debuff route with your bombs opposed to damage.

Mainly, just pick bomb enhancements that cause debuffs like Entangle and Confusion. For your other Discoveries, pick stuff that improves your character without the need of mutagens, like Flight, Tumor, etc. You can even take the discovery to allow you to pass on your extracts onto your undead or living allies.

And really, I'd expect no less than no-save confusion from a zombie exploding over you.