PDA

View Full Version : Warshaper Werewolf

Dr. Cliché
2013-11-04, 07:16 AM
I'm considering creating a Warshaper Werewolf villain (around CR12) as part of an upcoming campaign.

However, I'm looking for advice about which class (or classes) to use with it.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Studoku
2013-11-04, 08:59 AM
Qualifying for warshaper isn't going to be an issue since all he needs is another 2 BAB. You can pretty much take any classes you like before taking warshaper 4.

Can you tell us more about this guy? It'd help us know what kind of classes suit him. Also, what books are available?

Boci
2013-11-04, 09:03 AM
Yeah, warblade is the obvious choice. Warshaper is a potent melee combatant, so taking it onto any martial class should work.

Fouredged Sword
2013-11-04, 09:11 AM
I would second warblade, if for nothing else, then alliteration. Focus dragon and tiger strikes and he will lay out a lot of damage. Crusader would make him tougher though. Again, a focus on dragon, but this time paired with spirit and white raven (for augmenting the wolf pack he travels with)

War shaper itself makes him very tough and may irritate the rogue of the party. If a member of the party focuses on sneak attack, they may feel annoyed at what from the outside looks like arbitrary immunity. The con boost and fast healing added to the natural DR of a werewolf will make for a very tough opponent.

Shloogorgh
2013-11-04, 10:23 AM
War shaper itself makes him very tough and may irritate the rogue of the party. If a member of the party focuses on sneak attack, they may feel annoyed at what from the outside looks like arbitrary immunity. The con boost and fast healing added to the natural DR of a werewolf will make for a very tough opponent.

A rogue with the acf penetrating strike (which in all honesty should just be baked into the class from the get go) would still be able to deal 50% of their sneak attack damage while flanking

Fouredged Sword
2013-11-04, 10:33 AM
He still has to eat that DR after his sneak attack has been reduced to 1/2 it's normal value, then on top of that, the werewolf has fast healing. All of this on a creature that outwardly looks like it will take sneak attacks like normal.

I have seen players get upset if they are caught off guard like that. I would hint strongly that sneak attacks will do little, and that the wolf will be physically tough and hard to damage.

Dr. Cliché
2013-11-04, 01:36 PM
Qualifying for warshaper isn't going to be an issue since all he needs is another 2 BAB. You can pretty much take any classes you like before taking warshaper 4.

Is it not worth taking the full 5 levels of warshaper?

Can you tell us more about this guy? It'd help us know what kind of classes suit him.

Well, to be honest, I only have a rough idea at the moment. I'd been planning to just see which classes people think go well with a Warshaper, and flesh him out more based on which class I end up choosing.

Fouredged Sword
2013-11-04, 01:39 PM
He is going to want to get into his alt form and stay there. That 5th level is nothing but lost BAB.

Studoku
2013-11-04, 01:48 PM
He still has to eat that DR after his sneak attack has been reduced to 1/2 it's normal value, then on top of that, the werewolf has fast healing. All of this on a creature that outwardly looks like it will take sneak attacks like normal.
It's not like DR/Silver is difficult to deal with. Silver weapons are pretty cheap.

Dr. Cliché
2013-11-04, 02:05 PM
He is going to want to get into his alt form and stay there. That 5th level is nothing but lost BAB.

True.

I also thought that it made the transformation a swift action, rather than a move action (which seems almost pointless, really).

On another note, there's currently no sneak attacking in the party, so that's not really an issue right now.

Fouredged Sword
2013-11-04, 02:09 PM
Then I wouldn't be too concerned about warshaper levels. The immunity to crits is a big draw of the class, and if the party doesn't have a rouge or some other class that gets shut down by that, then you just have +4 con and Str, +1 size to a natural weapon, and fast healing. Good, but not gamebreaking.

Boci
2013-11-04, 02:41 PM
Then I wouldn't be too concerned about warshaper levels. The immunity to crits is a big draw of the class, and if the party doesn't have a rouge or some other class that gets shut down by that, then you just have +4 con and Str, +1 size to a natural weapon, and fast healing. Good, but not gamebreaking.

Also reach. Still not game breaking, but note worthy. Also, see emphasis.

Chronos
2013-11-04, 04:28 PM
Well, Warshapers also get the Morphic Weapons ability, which really isn't written as well as it ought to be. You'll have to decide what you consider to be a reasonable limit to it, since as written, you can get literally hundreds of natural weapons.