PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 alignment of this character

Raezeman
2013-11-04, 10:01 AM
I have a question about this characters alignments based on his view on how to help the world.
The character is a hellbred that wants to end all pain and suffering in the world in order to gain a place in the heavens. Flashbacks of his previous very evil life however, plus failed attempts at saving good people that resulted in very over the top evil with lot's and lot's of suffering and pain situations have had a bit of a toll on his mental state. So much, that he now truly believes that in order to end all suffering in the world it's a good thing (and the only option) is to end all life in the world completely. He will attempt doing this by a grand evil ritual (that he can fulfil thanks to evil exception).
So, keeping in mind that he truly believes bringing armageddon is for the greater good, what alignment is this character?

hamishspence
2013-11-04, 10:03 AM
Evil. Plenty of evil characters genuinely believe that what they are doing is Good (according to BoVD) - that doesn't make them right.

Raezeman
2013-11-04, 10:05 AM
ah yes, the book of vile darkness might have some insights on being evil. i should read that one more in-dept.

hamishspence
2013-11-04, 10:09 AM
Champions of Ruin, and Exemplars of Evil, are also good 3.5 sources for this.

Heroes of Horror discusses playing a Neutral character who has genuinely Good ends- but uses Evil means.

Anxe
2013-11-04, 10:10 AM
And given that his main goal is destruction, that matches Erythnul, a chaotic evil god. So... CE.

Red Fel
2013-11-04, 10:13 AM
Seconding evil.

The thing to remember is that, in a number of cases, actions take priority over intents. That is, regardless of whether you mean good or ill, certain acts are evil per se, and therefore doing them makes you Evil. Good has standards, and there are lines it will not cross.

Destroying all life, regardless of your reason, is pretty darn evil.

Subaru Kujo
2013-11-04, 10:15 AM
This character reeks of Neutral Evil/Chaotic Evil. I honestly can't see Lawful Evil entering into it.

Spore
2013-11-04, 10:17 AM
This isn't just plain evil. This is ideology evil (aka Hitler evil).