PDA

View Full Version : Something Interesting?

sambouchah
2013-11-04, 10:32 AM
I need a new, interesting idea for a character. I have played out druids, clerics and bards and was sort of looking for something a little more weird anyway. Any odd prestige classes, races, anything that will bewilder and amaze my group?

I'm talking freak show style weird, like Alice in Wonderland x10 weird, like Cthulhu goes to wonderland to eat a freak show weird.:smallbiggrin:

Thanks, Sam

Raezeman
2013-11-04, 10:36 AM
dragonfire adept

Red Fel
2013-11-04, 10:45 AM
I need a new, interesting idea for a character. I have played out druids, clerics and bards and was sort of looking for something a little more weird anyway. Any odd prestige classes, races, anything that will bewilder and amaze my group?

I'm talking freak show style weird, like Alice in Wonderland x10 weird, like Cthulhu goes to wonderland to eat a freak show weird.:smallbiggrin:

Thanks, Sam

Consider a few of the alternate casting systems.

For example, consider the Binder, from Tome of Magic - here is a person who acts as a vessel for otherworldly beings that should not exist, offering them a chance to enjoy reality for a day in exchange for a share of their power. Additionally, many of these entities have unusual and entertaining impact on the character's emotions, his appearance, and his behaviors. If you want otherworldly, you can't go wrong with a Binder.

Alternatively, consider the Incarnate or Totemist from Magic of Incarnum. These are people who harness the spiritual mass of soul-stuff known as Incarnum, who shape it into physical forms that give them exciting and impressive powers. The Incarnate can create suits of armor, weapons, even wings, and gain immunity to compulsion, flight, and teleportation, among other abilities. The Totemist harnesses the spiritual essence of monsters to gain natural attacks, breath weapons, and more; it also combines very nicely with a Barbarian build.

Finally, it sounds like you're a bit tapped out on casters, so why not try the shallow end of the pool - try a melee? I recommend the Warblade from Tome of Battle. This is a great melee class, using various strikes, counters, and stances which renew with each combat encounter, allowing you to substitute a Concentration check for a save, parry rays with your weapon, shrug off even Antimagic Fields, and look ridiculously cool while doing so.

Ultimately, if you're tired of core, go for something exotic.

Craft (Cheese)
2013-11-04, 11:56 AM
If you want something *really* out there, might I suggest homebrew? This (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=244502) is one of my favorites. (And no, I still haven't gotten to play it.)

nedz
2013-11-04, 12:03 PM
Half-Fey Dwarf Barbarian
Lots of combat options, lots of enchantment style SLAs, oh and butterfly wings.
The cha hit from Dwarf hurts, as does the con hit from half-fey which is a bit of a shame, but the imagery is nice.

Warforged Scout Beguiler

Tauric Kobold Riding Dog Sorcerer
Spend two feats to get flight (Dragonborn I think)
You can get Draconic Heritage as an ACF and then take Draconic Breath.
Maximise intimidate and make everyone accept that you are a true dragon.

SethoMarkus
2013-11-04, 12:08 PM
Consider a few of the alternate casting systems.

For example, consider the Binder, from Tome of Magic - here is a person who acts as a vessel for otherworldly beings that should not exist, offering them a chance to enjoy reality for a day in exchange for a share of their power. Additionally, many of these entities have unusual and entertaining impact on the character's emotions, his appearance, and his behaviors. If you want otherworldly, you can't go wrong with a Binder.

This is the exact suggestion I was going to make. If you want odd and unnatural, go for Binder. Or, if you really want to play into the Cthulhu feel, maybe try your hand at Alienist, a PrC found in Complete Arcane focused on Summoning. It isn't the most optimized, and the class features actually make some of the summons weaker than standard summoning tricks, but it is just dripping with tentacle-ly flavor.

Story
2013-11-04, 12:13 PM
Binder also lets you go tentacle monster all the time once you can bind Zceryll, but that isn't until level 10.

sambouchah
2013-11-04, 12:25 PM
Finally, it sounds like you're a bit tapped out on casters, so why not try the shallow end of the pool - try a melee? I recommend the Warblade from Tome of Battle. This is a great melee class, using various strikes, counters, and stances which renew with each combat encounter, allowing you to substitute a Concentration check for a save, parry rays with your weapon, shrug off even Antimagic Fields, and look ridiculously cool while doing so.

We already have a Warblade:smallfrown: I had considered playing one before he joined us.

Thank you all for these lovely suggestions! I may go with a Binder(We're level 10, sufficient for the tentacle vestige?). I also liked the Kobold tauric idea:smallbiggrin:

Sir Chuckles
2013-11-04, 12:47 PM
Commoner/Survivor, with Chicken Infested.

Or a more mundane thing like Barbarian/Wizard/Rage Mage, or Rakshasa Ghost Sorcerer/Spellwarp Sniper.

Grod_The_Giant
2013-11-04, 12:54 PM
Thank you all for these lovely suggestions! I may go with a Binder(We're level 10, sufficient for the tentacle vestige?). I also liked the Kobold tauric idea:smallbiggrin:
Level 10 is sufficient if you take the Improved Binding feat-- and you should, since it's probably the single most important feat for a Binder below 17th level.

Palanan
2013-11-04, 01:19 PM
Originally Posted by SethoMarkus
Or, if you really want to play into the Cthulhu feel, maybe try your hand at Alienist, a PrC found in Complete Arcane focused on Summoning. It isn't the most optimized, and the class features actually make some of the summons weaker than standard summoning tricks, but it is just dripping with tentacle-ly flavor.

Allow me to humbly recommend this smidgen (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=307996) of Far-Realms-themed summoning madness.

:smalltongue:

Chronos
2013-11-04, 04:40 PM
I, too, was going to suggest Binder. They don't have to be creepy, but they sure as HellFar Realms can be.

Captnq
2013-11-04, 04:57 PM
Wu Jen/Wild Mage/Ur-Priest/Alienist/True Necromancer

Get Your Freak On! And In. And Under. And Over. And Inside Out. And Extradimensionally...

Epsilon Rose
2013-11-04, 05:51 PM
We already have a Warblade:smallfrown: I had considered playing one before he joined us.

It should be noted that the Summoning Vestigage is from a web enhancement and kinda broken, so it might not be allowed. A more mundane way to go tentacle abomination is Totemist, which is an incarnum class that's often described as Build-A-Monster.

If you're open to homebrew and want something Cthonic, I'd recomend looking at either the Ozadrin (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153536) or the Xenothurge (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122103). The Ozadrin is a Build-a-Monster type class, but it's much more free-form than the totemist and has a very Tentacle/Horror/Madness/Far-Realms vibe to it (unlike the totemist which channels more mundane monsters). The Xenoalchemist, conversely, is more of a psudo-caster with an at-will-with-consequences mechanic. It's all about channeling the powers of the far realms and is quite flavorful.

Finally, if you're open to homebrew, but don't actually want Cthulhu, I'd recommend checking out the Spellshaping Codices (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=845.0). It a rather large collection of homebrew (that entire sub-forum is dedicated to it) that's basically Tome of Battle, but for Magic. It makes use of per-encounter powers that can be refreshed and aren't too powerful compared to normal spells (they shouldn't break the game). There are a number of very diverse base classes. The vast majority make use of "elemental" attacks that have a 60' range, but there's one that uses ranged weapons (and can telekinetically control the ammo), one that channels through melee weapons and another that uses breath weapons.

Iryanmadayana
2013-11-04, 05:57 PM
Mindflayer Paladin
Mindflayer Bard
Mindflayer Monk
Half-Gnome half-Kobold Shadowsun Ninja

...Mindflayer Fighter/Ranger/Fist of the Forest

Captnq
2013-11-04, 09:35 PM
Okay. Start at first level with a wizard. Have a really low con. The con negative to hit points puts you at zero to start.

The rest of the party needs to drag you around and then cast bear's endurance on you when a fight begins. Your goal is to cat magic missile and maybe earn enough xp to go to second level and get enough hit points that you don't have to get dragged around as Coma-boy anymore.

When the bear's endurance wears off, you get to RP being a floppy coma patient.

GoblinArchmage
2013-11-04, 10:32 PM
Be a Presto-Cleaner. For your class, choose Wizard, but use all of your spell slots of every level to prepare Prestidigitation, and only use the spell to clean things.

Fall into a puddle of mud? Cast Prestidigitation and clean your ass up.

Finish exploring a sewer? Cast Prestidigitation to clean off that ****.

Stuck traveling through an underground dungeon or cave system? Prestidigitation can clean those dirty passages and tunnels right up.

Come across an enemy? Wash that filthy bastard with Prestidigitation.

Only ever cast Prestidigitation, and use higher level spell slots to enhance it with metamagic feats. You will be the cleanest bad ass to ever wander these realms.

Possibly coming soon (or eventually, or never): The Presto-Cleaner's Handbook and the Presto-Cleaner's Homebrew Compendium.

Story
2013-11-05, 12:49 AM
Okay. Start at first level with a wizard. Have a really low con. The con negative to hit points puts you at zero to start.

The rest of the party needs to drag you around and then cast bear's endurance on you when a fight begins. Your goal is to cat magic missile and maybe earn enough xp to go to second level and get enough hit points that you don't have to get dragged around as Coma-boy anymore.

When the bear's endurance wears off, you get to RP being a floppy coma patient.

Con penalties can't drop your HP below 1 per HD. Now there are other things which do reduce your max HP so you might be able to pull it off, it's just a lot harder.

Anyway, if you want something weird, why not see if you can get Savage Species allowed? Symbiote Anthropomorphic Balleen Whale Dread Blossom Swarm? The possibilities are endless, even with just your race.

Epsilon Rose
2013-11-05, 02:36 AM
Symbiote Anthropomorphic Balleen Whale Dread Blossom Swarm?
:smalleek:
Were there meant to be commas there or is that a single creature?

CRtwenty
2013-11-05, 02:39 AM
Anyway, if you want something weird, why not see if you can get Savage Species allowed? Symbiote Anthropomorphic Balleen Whale Dread Blossom Swarm? The possibilities are endless, even with just your race.

What... what would that even look like? :smalleek: