PDA

View Full Version : Improving the Kelvezu (MM2 Assassin Demon)

Tevesh
2013-11-04, 03:57 PM
I've found another monster that is completely in-theme for an encounter, unfortunately, it is suffering from being a bit too weak!

The Kelvezu is a Demon in MM2, p.60.

Its an assassin in the same league as Balors/Mariliths. In its entry its described in actual comparison. Balors are the Abyss' artistocrats, Mariliths are the generals and the Kelvezu are the assassins.

My main issue is even if it is running with Improved Invisibility and +33 Hide (from the Errata), I don't think a +16/+11/+6 attack progression is anywhere near acceptable of a CR 18 encounter.

This guy hits like a truck, will be somewhat hard to see (I'm thinking of using him only to Standard Action attack, Move Action Hide, Swift 5' - just in case they have See Invisible/True Seeing available), and is a nice solo encounter before the mid-boss. I'm thinking of swapping out some of his Sneak Attack dice for Fighter Feats as per UA, but I'd like to keep some amount of punch (probably keep 4/5d6 of his 8d6)

While I expect to give him about 70k in gear (which his +1 Greater Wounding [+4 Enhancement] Scimitar and +1 Wounding Dagger take up some serious dough), I don't want him to be good just because of his gear. I don't know if I should be re-statting him from scratch (something I don't want to do) or what. For armor, maybe Gnomish Knot-Armor (can't remember what its called) or simply forgo that for Bracers of Armor.

I got a lot of good suggestions in my previous thread, so I'm hoping the playground can provide. He's a CR 18 "Solo" for a 18th level party. Or is he more appropriate as another CR level and then I can advance/Class level him up to 18?

Vaz
2013-11-04, 04:38 PM
The Re-CR project for MM2 suggests it is nearer CR15: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187046&page=14

With 12 HD, that means 6 unassociated class levels, but if you are up for making it a bit more challenging, a few extra levels; won't hurt; namely Factotum 8 for the extra actions.

It needs some flanking buddies as well to trigger its sneak attack. If it is not a true BBEG and 'end game' fight the Ambush feats might cause some serious resource drain.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-11-04, 06:48 PM
Most opponents that have a higher CR than their HD will be a bit underpowered.

For this particular opponent, I'd give him Weapon Finesse and either replace the scimitar with a rapier or allow him to finesse the scimitar. That alone is another +5 to hit, and keep in mind he wields two wounding weapons so every hit deals 1 Con damage, plus it delivers poison that also deals Con damage. Not to mention the sneak attacks enabled by at-will Greater Invisibility.

With that I think an adjusted CR 15 would be about right. If you want him to be CR 18, +6 Outsider HD is +3 CR (www.d20srd.org/srd/improvingMonsters.htm#advancedMonsterChallengeRati ng), and that will actually give him as many HD as his CR. Be sure to throw on Greater TWF, and consider Ability Focus: Poison and Virulent Poison (SS) for another +4 DC to that poison, and/or Craven for +HD damage per sneak attack.

Tevesh
2013-11-05, 01:15 PM
The analysis of him being a CR 15 monster is perfect. I knew someone would have already done the math for me but didn't know where to look. Thank you Vaz!

Unforunately, his Wounding is 3.0 which is a Bleed instead of Con damage.

By upping his HD to bring him to CR 18, I can afford to give him more feats. Now, the question I have is to have him concentrate on using Move Actions to Hide, keeping his Sneak Attack dice, or Move Actions to dance around the battlefield.

Factorum 8 would make him CR 19, which the PCs are about to face anyway, so I am a bit conflicted on that. Having extra Move Actions then changes to Full Attack and then Hide or Full Attack and Move (which then banks on his Imp. Invis).

Also, does anyone have an opinion on how to handle the Wounding? Should I make it Bleed or Con damage (which this guy packs anyway)?

If I gave him Fighter, for the extra feats, would that be considered non-associated? Actually with Outsider stats, Outsider is probably a better deal that straight Fighter.

Weapon Finesse is a non-brainer that I missed on. Thank you for the catch. :o

hamishspence
2013-11-05, 01:29 PM
The Re-CR project for MM2 suggests it is nearer CR15: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187046&page=14

Fiendish Codex 1 also "Re-CRs" many demons from past books- including the Kelvezu, which it puts at CR 14.