PDA

View Full Version : Diopsid Bards

Erik Vale
2013-11-04, 08:07 PM
The Bardic music feature and spells requires the use of constant speech even if it's for things such as use competence to improve move silently or to sneak around using invisibilty.

Diopsid's however speak by flashing with their little lights. The only way I can think of concealing it though to sneak is using psionic powers to control light or a darkness spell and something to see through darkness [multiclass with warlock] but the later only works in the dark.

What I'm asking, is are there any ways to allow Diopsid Bard's to 'sing' using their lights and hide/conceal themselves other then blocking direct line of sight, multiclassing or use of wands/wand equivilants?

AgentofHellfire
2013-11-04, 08:16 PM
If you were somehow able to cast Ethereal Jaunt (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/etherealJaunt.htm), whether through magic items or a friend, that might work.

Erik Vale
2013-11-04, 08:34 PM
If you were somehow able to cast Ethereal Jaunt (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/etherealJaunt.htm), whether through magic items or a friend, that might work.

That's acceptable with high level PRC's [Lyric Thermatauge or the other one that grants wizard spells], but it has a short duration and you can't interact well with the material it doesn't work too well...
But I think there is a extradimensional metamagic which might make it work... Jaunt could be useful as a Item.

Vaz
2013-11-04, 08:55 PM
Bardic Music doesn't require Sing. Only perform not allowed is Weapon Drill (yes, you can use Perform Tea Ceremony to make your allies weapons explode into Flame). Some PrC's and Feats require (Sing) however.

Vedhin
2013-11-04, 09:02 PM
yes, you can use Perform Tea Ceremony to make your allies weapons explode into Flame

I have long been an ardent supporter of this tactic.

Grim Portent
2013-11-04, 09:08 PM
I have long been an ardent supporter of this tactic.

Surely it would be funnier with Perform (Fire Safety Demonstration). :smalltongue:

Vedhin
2013-11-04, 09:11 PM
Surely it would be funnier with Perform (Fire Safety Demonstration). :smalltongue:

I urge you to meditate on the fact that Perform (Tea Ceremony) involves you performing the tea ceremony with such awesomeness that onlooker's weapons burst into flames.

The epicness increases beyond comprehension in a melee bard build, perhaps with Snowflake Wardance. You then are fighting with a scimitar in one hand and a cup of tea in the other. And simply by brewing said tea, you lit your scimitar with the very fires of awesomeness itself.

Lyndworm
2013-11-04, 10:46 PM
The Bardic music feature and spells requires the use of constant speech even if it's for things such as use competence to improve move silently or to sneak around using invisibilty.
As noted by Vaz, this is not actually the case. A Bard can Inspire Competence without singing or speaking, but the ability does require the recipient of the bonus to hear the Bard. It does not require the recipient to hear the Bard perform, though, as Inspire Courage does. Odd, but technically true.

Also, all Bard spells have verbal components, but (unless otherwise noted in the spell's description) there's no rule requiring a Bard to verbalize in order to maintain the spell.

Diopsid's however speak by flashing with their little lights. The only way I can think of concealing it though to sneak is using psionic powers to control light or a darkness spell and something to see through darkness [multiclass with warlock] but the later only works in the dark.
This is also not, actually, the case. Diopsid can speak that way (and their native language must be spoken that way), but they can also speak verbally just like humans and gnomes.

What I'm asking, is are there any ways to allow Diopsid Bard's to 'sing' using their lights and hide/conceal themselves other then blocking direct line of sight, multiclassing or use of wands/wand equivilants?
Not as far as I'm aware, sorry. I did once play a Diopsid Bard who used Perform (Bioluminescence), actually. He had a masterwork instrument in the form of colored panes of glass he used to change the color of his lights. This required DM approval of houserules, though, because it was technically against the rules.

Bardic Music doesn't require Sing. Only perform not allowed is Weapon Drill (yes, you can use Perform Tea Ceremony to make your allies weapons explode into Flame). Some PrC's and Feats require (Sing) however.
You are 100% correct. It's worth noting, however, that (by RaW) Inspire Courage only affects allies who can hear the Bard perform. If you try to use Perform (Tea Ceremony)... well, I hope that dungeon has really good acoustics.

CyberThread
2013-11-04, 11:05 PM
perform light show?