PDA

View Full Version : True Seeing

drakoonity
2013-11-04, 10:16 PM
So in this current campaign I am playing a rogue and trying to boost my hiding and such. One thing I was wondering, is there anything I can do against true seeing or glitterdust (people in the group love that spell for sneaky people so it gets annoying). I don't know if there is anything against true seeing, but I know there is like anti magic stuff for glitterdust. Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks.

Ravens_cry
2013-11-04, 10:22 PM
Mundane stealth still works with True Seeing, you just have to be sneakier about it. Hmm, if you can get a source of hide in plain sight, that could help you.

Grod_The_Giant
Ring of Counterspells?

Also, don't forget Darkstalker.

eggynack
For true seeing you don't really have to do anything. True seeing doesn't affect mundane hiding at all. It's pretty explicit about that. Problems only arise if you rely on magical means of avoiding detection. Glitterdust isn't too easy to stop though. Generally I figure that you'd just want to not let people know where you are, and have that be your protection against glitterdust. Hell, if your enemies have access to true seeing on a consistent basis, and have the knowledge required to glitterdust you, you're probably screwed anyway.

Deremir
well i don't know your specific situation but in theory you could create an artifact or spell that specifically negates true seeing beyond that i'm not sure.

Red Fel
2013-11-04, 10:48 PM
For true seeing you don't really have to do anything. True seeing doesn't affect mundane hiding at all. It's pretty explicit about that. Problems only arise if you rely on magical means of avoiding detection. Glitterdust isn't too easy to stop though. Generally I figure that you'd just want to not let people know where you are, and have that be your protection against glitterdust. Hell, if your enemies have access to true seeing on a consistent basis, and have the knowledge required to glitterdust you, you're probably screwed anyway.

This. If your Hide and Move Silently checks are high enough, they won't know you're there to Glitterdust you unless they have something like Blindsight, Tremorsense, Scent, Mindsight, etc. And if they have those, well, you're pretty much hosed, now aren't you?

Captnq
2013-11-04, 10:54 PM
Nondetection makes it a CL vs CL thing for true seeing.

Get a spellblade (glitterdust) if it bothers you that much. After all, you can resist it with a Will Save, so it should be covered by a spellblade. I prefer disintegrate, MDJ, GDM, and DM, but that's because antimagic sucks.

Grod_The_Giant
2013-11-04, 10:55 PM
This. If your Hide and Move Silently checks are high enough, they won't know you're there to Glitterdust you unless they have something like Blindsight, Tremorsense, Scent, Mindsight, etc. And if they have those, well, you're pretty much hosed, now aren't you?
Again, unless you take Darkstalker.

Red Fel
2013-11-04, 10:59 PM
Again, unless you take Darkstalker.

Doesn't apply to Mindsight by RAW. But I concede on the rest of them.

Ravens_cry
2013-11-04, 11:02 PM
Tremorsense can be negated with flight. A partially charged wand of fly isn't too expensive, and UMD is a class skill for a reason.
Flight also adds a lot of options where you could be when they bring out the glitterdust, since it's only a 10 radius burst.

eggynack
2013-11-04, 11:13 PM
Doesn't apply to Mindsight by RAW. But I concede on the rest of them.
Also lifesense, and touchsight. Might be others, but I can't think of any. There's a whole handbook on the topic of scouting hereabouts (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=8995.0). Well worth a read for anyone who wants to, y'know, scout.