PDA

View Full Version : Pit fiend smack down thread

axraelshelm
2007-01-07, 04:18 PM
Okay guys need help, I'm playing a cleric and a pit fiend npc general of a devil army has just came into the story.
I've talked to it after eluding his subordinats and I've managed to walk away unscaved calling off the last soldiers of our army to surrender.
Now I think heres a great opportune moment to become business allies with said pit fiend and sale nice weapony goods that sort of thing to him for a nice price but I need to make counter measures
so what spells, equipments, tactics ect would people suggest?
and how many people has survived against one?

Skyserpent
2007-01-07, 04:29 PM
Sorry, I'm gonna be no help, but if you intend to go "Big Melee Cleric" style remember an Aligned Weapon. Seriously, oh and don't bring a Monk to a demon fight.

danielf
2007-01-07, 04:31 PM
teleport, word of recall are always good spells you should have...

Ikkitosen
2007-01-07, 04:35 PM
Can you dismiss him somehow?

axraelshelm
2007-01-07, 04:38 PM
we were in hell so no on his own terf

PinkysBrain
2007-01-07, 04:41 PM
What level are you?

Ikkitosen
2007-01-07, 04:42 PM
Ok, can you reliably beat its spell resistance, and what's your casting stat at?

axraelshelm
2007-01-07, 04:45 PM
only a level 7 but i'm talking about future tactics because all my spells didn't work.
summons (killed)
greater darkness (dispelled)
heighten enthrall (saved)
I need future tactics

danielf
2007-01-07, 04:45 PM
spell turning and fly are is nice to have if you need it too.

Ikkitosen
2007-01-07, 04:46 PM
A high level cleric might defeat it like any other foe - buff and bash. Or for a caster-focussed cleric, boost CL and save DC and Harm it or something like that.

Fizban
2007-01-07, 04:49 PM
Lv7 solo Cleric vs. Pit Fiend.... hope your DM is nice.
Lv 20 solo Cleric vs Pit Fiend.... probably boost CL with cheese and holy word it.

Bears With Lasers
2007-01-07, 04:50 PM
Level 7 solo cleric vs. Pit Fiend: buy a Candle of Invocation (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#candleofInvocation).
Gate in a Solar.
Have the Solar port over and kill the pit fiend.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-01-07, 04:51 PM
Word of caution: Killing Pit Fiends in Hell might have repercussions.

axraelshelm
2007-01-07, 04:55 PM
A high level cleric might defeat it like any other foe - buff and bash. Or for a caster-focussed cleric, boost CL and save DC and Harm it or something like that.

by george I take my hat of you Ikkitosen Harm is the best all I need is spell penetration and greater spell penetration and I will have him.
Because I have a +3 in dex and a weapon finese touch attack I'll touch him no problems when i get harm and a few feats under me belt. He will fall to me!!! hahaahahahhahah

Bears With Lasers
2007-01-07, 04:57 PM
Harm isn't like it was in 3.0--there's a will save for half damage, and it deals 10*CL damage, up to a maximum of 150. So when you get harm, level 11, you'll touch him... for 110 points of damage, which he'll save against, making it 55.
Not gonna work.

I repeat: Candle of Invocation. Solar. If you want high-level tactics, wait until you can actually buff up and take him on.

PinkysBrain
2007-01-07, 04:58 PM
Forget about taking him on for the near future, it's just not going to happen.

PS. sure with enough cheese you can do anything ... but that just breaks the game.

Renegade Paladin
2007-01-07, 04:59 PM
Wait, so are we talking one of the Dark Eight here? If so, I doubt he's just a bog standard pit fiend.

axraelshelm
2007-01-07, 05:03 PM
It's okay we are playing 3.0!!! with monsters in 3.5 and the spells 3.0! Fly is 10mins/level, haste you can cast 2 spells it's all there.

Bears With Lasers
2007-01-07, 05:11 PM
Oh, great. Haste, then Harm + some other damage spell.

Ikkitosen
2007-01-07, 05:12 PM
It's okay we are playing 3.0!!! with monsters in 3.5 and the spells 3.0! Fly is 10mins/level, haste you can cast 2 spells it's all there.

Exploit one of the many 3.0 holes - search the Wizards boards maybe, they're likely all there.

Deathcow
2007-01-07, 05:28 PM
Yeah, 3.0 Haste + 3.0 Harm + Inflict Serious Wounds. Assuming you can hit on two successive melee touch attacks (shouldn't be a problem), you have a very dead Pit Fiend within about a round.

Ikkitosen
2007-01-07, 05:31 PM
Screw an inflict finisher - get something that bypasses its SR! But yeah, easy finish.

Matthew
2007-01-07, 07:52 PM
Poor General Bob, the Pit Fiend NPC. You may want to alert your DM to your 3.0 exploiting plans prior to implementing them.

the_tick_rules
2007-01-07, 10:43 PM
your level 7, i suggest a retreat. he's a cr 20, anything 5 cr's above you is considered a dire threat. 13 is just die. all the uber stuff is beyond you at the moment

exalted deeds carries a lot of cool stuff. i figured out a combination that if it works as i think it would could decimate even the mightiest devil or demon in meele. but it's long to describe and the cost is so massive your character couldn't afford it if he sold his sole.

well i'll describe the tactic i theorized. you'll need several dragon hoards to afford it. oh and i'm using 3.5 rules for the items that reappeared in 3.5. they may operate differently

weapons/ armor/items (specific to my plan only, like +5 armor is a given, probably add fire resistance cause they have meteor swarm)

+5 holy wounding evil outsider bane weapon
ring of blinking
starmantle robe
retributive amulet
boots of striding and springing (compensate for ring slowing you down)
+5 cloak of resistance (to make the below reflex saves)

i can't remember if a 9th level spell i read in exalted is a cleric spell, i'm pretty sure it's a sorcerer. but hey if you can buy it or whatever it works. it blinds all evil outsiders and there is no save or SR.

basically my tempest (so i would have two of the above swords) would spring attack (him with both, others only once) back and forth. he'd have to move more than 5 feet to attack so only 1 attack per round if you have the spell he'd miss half of the time cause he's blind, and half of those miss because your etheral due to the ring, so he's only hitting 1/4 of the time his attacks would normally hit. starmantle robes, on a 15 reflex save,which should be easy if your powerful enough to challenge a pit fiend, reduce damage by half. retributive amulet equally divides the damage between you and your attacker (he gets the extra 1 if there is a remainder). so when he does hit your both taking 1/4 of his damage. i see robe and amulet as stacking, one absorbs damage before you take it, one redirects damage that you actually take, makes sense to me. so he is hitting 1/4 of the time and when he does you and him both take 1/4 of the original damage. True for the cost for everything you could by yourself life-long retirement in your own kingdom, but hey that's no fun.

oh and this does not nullify his spell arsenal, so anti-magic field or something for that. or greater spell immunity for yourself. oh and for 3.0 offensive magic, i'd suggest harm or level drainers.

axraelshelm
2007-01-08, 03:32 AM
your right it's for too expensive. I nead an item that game me greater spell peneptration even at level 11 I only going to have one chance to hit it with harm and I only have a 1/4 chance of over coming his spell resistance.

Thomas
2007-01-08, 04:24 AM
Poor General Bob, the Pit Fiend NPC. You may want to alert your DM to your 3.0 exploiting plans prior to implementing them.

Any DM who runs 3.0 with harm un-nerfed deserves the consequences.

And should use harm on the PCs...

Matthew
2007-01-08, 05:52 AM
Heh, exactly what I am worrying about.

Kaerou
2007-01-08, 11:20 AM
I very much doupt your DM expects you to fight and kill the pit fiend at level 7, s/he likely has a plot in mind.

Munchy
2007-01-08, 09:02 PM
A pit fiend is a CR20 mastermind. Unless the DM chooses to play a Pit Fiend with profound mental retardation it will mop the floor with your cleric.

For now the thing you should be trying to figure out is how to effectively run away from it.

Seffbasilisk
2007-01-08, 09:24 PM
If you have a monk, give the monk a +1 SILVER keen Holy Kukri with things like Lighting Burst

For you? Protection from Evil. Something to make you immune to fire and disease.

If you can get it, get a ring of weaponbreaking. It's epic, but it should shatter any of his weapons he hits you with. Teeth? Claws? Maybe...

axraelshelm
2007-01-09, 03:40 AM
it'll be great to open a gate spell to the abyss and force him through it but i'll need to lock his spell abilites first