PDA

View Full Version : [3.X] Build Challenge: The Luckiest (Wo)Man Alive

SoraWolf7
2013-11-04, 10:26 PM
They say that sometimes even luck isn't enough to defeat a foe. I say that we can prove them wrong. This challenge is about creating a 20 level build with a character who has enough luck and skill so that he (or she, if you feel like making Lady Luck herself) can defeat angels, demons, gods, or any other character by sheer luck, or at least luck feats in conjunction with their own skills. Your build can be a caster, blaster, rogue, fighter, whatever. I just want to challenge you guys to use those Luck Feats.

Bonus points if you don't use Psions or ToB, because a lot of people seem to jump to those to solve big problems.

Now let's see if you can turn a fail into a supreme victory!

Diovid
2013-11-05, 03:47 AM
Glimmerskin Halfling x 5 / Fortune's Friend 5 / Luckstealer 10 where x is either bard or the Trickster variant spellthief.

Glimmerskin Halflings are from Dragon Magic, Fortune's Friend is from Complete Scoundrel, Luckstealer is from Races of the Wild, Spellthief is from Complete Adventurer and the Spellthief's Trickster variant is from Dragon Magazine #353.

There's even a note about how Luckstealers and luck feats interact in Complete Scoundrel (p. 73).

For more ideas, see here: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=307784

Red Fel
2013-11-05, 08:20 AM
Shape Soulmeld: Lucky Dice.

Enjoy your +1 bonus to rolls of your choice.

dysprosium
2013-11-05, 09:51 AM
I'll have to find my build that I called the Lucky Bastard, but it was based on the exact premise as the OP.

Deox
2013-11-05, 09:57 AM
Slightly off topic, but in a game I was running, there was a character that was precisely built to be extremely lucky. So lucky in fact, that he was the only person to survive against beholders.

"Oh, that nat 1? It's now a 20."

"Great, next?"

"Hmm nat 2. Don't like it. Nat 5? Nope, let's go again."

Spore
2013-11-05, 11:09 AM
On a meta gaming level, rerolls are hilarious. In my current PF campaign our witch forces a monster to reroll every d20 twice and take the worse result for the next rounds as long as she spends a movement action each round.

If I use my cursed powers to fling on curse, major curse (of course rerolling the will save) then we have a BBEG with -4 on attack rolls , -4 to AC, -4 to saving throws with -6 to Str (or Dex, or Int, whatever the most important attribute is) and have our barbarian keel it.

What I want to say with that? Cursing your enemies is as fun if not funnier than having inexplicable luck by yourself.

dysprosium
2013-11-05, 12:51 PM
For a Marvel example, that's the difference between being Domino and the Scarlet Witch.

Would you rather be lucky yourself or make every one else around you unlucky.

Both are quite useful.

SoraWolf7
2013-11-05, 06:18 PM
I prefer to make my own character lucky rather than be a **** to others and make them unlucky. Unless I can focus-fire it to my opponents, cause then I am luckier by comparison.

dysprosium
2013-11-14, 08:31 PM
Found my build I dubbed "the Lucky Bastard"

CG strongheart halfling Wizard 6/Fortune's Friend 5/Fatespinner 4/Luckstealer 5

Feat progression
1: Dallah Thaun's Luck, Magical Fortune (L), Scribe Scroll (B)
3: Survivor's Luck (L)
5: Wizard ACF to nab Luck Domain
6: Dumb Luck (L)
8: Unbelievable Luck (L, B)
9: Bonded Familiar
10: Make Your Own Luck (L, B)
12: Advantageous Avoidance (L)
15: Lucky Catch (L)
18: Better Lucky than Good (L)

Wizard Casting as 16th level Wizard at Level 20. I counted 13 rerolls per day, which for my own personal luck, I need them.

Particle_Man
2013-11-15, 05:22 PM
Are you allowed to take luck feats as Wizard bonus feats?

[Edit: Oh wait, they are bonus feats for the prestige classes, never mind].