PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Archivist Dark Knowledge/Dread Secret

Xaragos
2013-11-05, 03:29 AM
In the verbiage it states "The archivist's dark knowledge can affect a single creature or all creatures of the same race, depending on the effect used. A target creature must be within 60 feet, and the archivist must be aware of the creature's presence, although he need not have a line of sight to it. The effects of dark knowledge last for 1 minute, unless stated otherwise."

My question is in regards to what happens when you are fighting a big bad who is the same creature type as his minions. For example, lets say you are fighting an Adult dragon and 4 young dragons of the same type (aka you are fighting momma and her brood). The adult dragon is the big bad and you as an Archivist want to use Dread Secret to stun it for a round. However as your party is fighting the young ones as well it would be handy to give them one of the Dark Knowledge bonuses.

1) Can you apply a generic party bonus and use dread secret on the one big bad of the encounter?

2) If not, can you apply the generic party bonus to every non big bad to allow you to use dread secret on the boss?

To me, Dread Secret seems to be the odd ability out in that its a 1 time stun/daze on a particular creature, while the other abilities are buffs that last for a minute and are more generic in nature. I see them as being exclusive to one another but trying to get this right. This issue comes any time you fight numerous creatures of the same type be they orcs, undead, werewolves, whatever.

Xaragos
2013-11-06, 08:08 AM
Need help from the playground rules experts!

JaronK
2013-11-06, 11:17 AM
One use of Dark Knowledge would stun the big dragon, and you'd need to use another use to effect the others with a different Dark Knowledge attack. Dread Secret is a single target attack.

JaronK