PDA

View Full Version : Grapple against opponents too much bigger

Memphos
2013-11-05, 09:25 AM
Hello Playgrounders, I have another n00b question, but I can't find the answer. If it's in the basic this time, too, I apoligize.

Regarding Grapple: i know you can't enter a grapple against opponent that are too big for you, that said, Medium vs Huge. Thus, what does this mean, exactly? If I am the huge one, I automatically win or what?

nyjastul69
2013-11-05, 09:30 AM
Hello Playgrounders, I have another n00b question, but I can't find the answer. If it's in the basic this time, too, I apoligize.

Regarding Grapple: i know you can't enter a grapple against opponent that are too big for you, that said, Medium vs Huge. Thus, what does this mean, exactly? If I am the huge one, I automatically win or what?

Any creature can attempt to grapple any other creature regardless of size. The rules are here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/specialAttacks.htm#grapple)

Memphos
2013-11-05, 09:31 AM
Uhm...I was pretty sure to have read, I don't remember which book, that a creature two size bigger than you automatically win the grapple or, at least, send you flying several meters away with one kick. Did i imagine it?

Edit: and I'm pretty sure you can attempt grapple check only against creature one size of difference

eggynack
2013-11-05, 09:35 AM
If they're two sizes bigger, you can't succeed at starting a grapple. That means just that. A huge creature won't automatically succeed at grappling a medium creature, or at any other check. He just automatically succeeds at a check to not be held, which isn't too useful if the huge creature is the grappling party. Being huge doesn't even let you auto-succeed on the check to escape an already existing grapple.

Edit: The quote you're thinking of is, "You automatically lose an attempt to hold if the target is two or more size categories larger than you are."

Memphos
2013-11-05, 09:38 AM
Oh, I see! Thanks Playgrounders

Studoku
2013-11-05, 09:39 AM
If you attempt to start a grapple with a creature two or more sizes larger than you, you automatically fail the grapple check. That's it.

If a creature two sizes larger attempts to start a grapple with you, it happens normally.

Telonius
2013-11-05, 09:41 AM
Source here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20050301a), from a "Rules of the Game" article:

You can grab a creature of any size, but you cannot establish or maintain a hold on a creature that is two or more size categories bigger than you. For example, if you're a Medium creature, you can establish a hold only on a creature of Large size or smaller. Huge or bigger creatures are too big for you to grapple.

And here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/specialAttacks.htm#grapple), from the SRD:

Step 3
Hold. Make an opposed grapple check as a free action.

If you succeed, you and your target are now grappling, and you deal damage to the target as if with an unarmed strike.

If you lose, you fail to start the grapple. You automatically lose an attempt to hold if the target is two or more size categories larger than you are.

So you can be grappling with any creature of any size. But you can only initiate the grapple if the target is no more than one size category larger than you.

Derjuin
2013-11-05, 09:41 AM
Step 3
Hold. Make an opposed grapple check as a free action.

If you succeed, you and your target are now grappling, and you deal damage to the target as if with an unarmed strike.

If you lose, you fail to start the grapple. You automatically lose an attempt to hold if the target is two or more size categories larger than you are.

RAW, the only time a grapple auto-fails is if you are initiating it against a creature too big; there doesn't appear to be any ruling about automatically winning if the other creature is too small.

edit: c-c-c-c-c-combo ninja'd

Memphos
2013-11-05, 09:44 AM
Roger roger, I'll tell my players