PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] The "Big Dwarf" Smith

sniffies
2013-11-05, 03:08 PM
So I've rolled a Goliath Barbarian. He was raised by a humble dwarven smith inside a mountain, and decided to leave after his adoptive father has passed away. However, he loves the forge, and follows the (homebrewed) god of Dwarves and Blacksmithing.

I'm planning on going with Barb/Fighter for the first few levels, being a fairly standard brute-type. As the story evolves, I was hoping to become an Ironsoul Forgesmith, assuming the DM permits it.

Here's what I was hoping to do, which likely needs work:

Barbarian - Mountain Rage, Lion Totem: Pounce, Power Attack, Extra Rage (shaky flaw)
Barbarian - Uncanny Dodge or Wolf Totem: Imp Trip
Fighter - Improved Bull Rush & Knockback
Fighter - Improved Buckler Defense (for shield bond) or Dungeoncrasher
Fighter
Fighter - Shock Trooper & Weapon Focus (Goliath Greathammer) or Improved Buckler Defense
Incarnate (NG?)
Ironsoul Forgesmith - Shield Bond
Ironsoul Forgesmith - Secrets of the Forge & Cobalt Rage
Ironsoul Forgesmith - Forge Lore
and so on...

I'd love to hear some thoughts. In a lot of posts I've read over the past week, the brusier of the party is supposed to be tripping and locking opponents down... would I be gimping the party by carrying around a big 2H hammer/axe, or with this build in general?

Fouredged Sword
2013-11-05, 03:18 PM
I would be sorely tempted to fit dwarf paragon in there, just for flavor. +2 con and increased saves don't hurt though.

Fighter 1 / barbarian 1 / stoneblessed 3 / dwarf paragon 3 / Incarnate 2 / Ironsoul Forgemaster 10 /

herrhauptmann
2013-11-05, 03:24 PM
I would be sorely tempted to fit dwarf paragon in there, just for flavor. +2 con and increased saves don't hurt though.

Fighter 1 / barbarian 1 / stoneblessed 3 / dwarf paragon 3 / Incarnate 2 / Ironsoul Forgemaster 10 /

This is a great plan.
As a dwarven paragon, you add your level to craft checks involving metal/stone.
For power's sake, I'd recommend some deepwarden as well. Yeah it's some ranger feel to it, but you'll want to take advantage of that awesome con score you'll have. Con to AC? Sure. Lets you dump dex too.
The skill prereqs are a pain though.

sniffies
2013-11-05, 03:34 PM
Silly question, but where can I find Dwarf Paragon?

Karnith
2013-11-05, 03:35 PM
Silly question, but where can I find Dwarf Paragon?
Right here on the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/racialParagonClasses.htm#dwarfParagon), or Unearthed Arcana pp. 33-35.

GreenETC
2013-11-05, 03:41 PM
So I've rolled a Goliath Barbarian. He was raised by a humble dwarven smith inside a mountain, and decided to leave after his adoptive father has passed away. However, he loves the forge, and follows the (homebrewed) god of Dwarves and Blacksmithing.
Honestly, I think you'd be better off with Barb 1/Fighter 2/Incarnate 2/Ironsoul Forgemaster 10, provided you can swing the whole "I'm a Dwarf at heart" thing.

For feats, if you can have Shaky for your flaw, grab Power Attack and Extra Rage at level 1, then get Improved Bullrush for Fighter and get Dungeoncrasher, and then grab Improved Buckler Defense at level 3. Once you hit 6th, grab Knockback and go to town smacking people everywhere.

Use the Soulmelds to help with what you do, like Crystal Helm (great with the crown chakra you get at Incarnate 2) and just be a melee character with some extra stuff thrown on.

sniffies
2013-11-05, 03:53 PM
I would be sorely tempted to fit dwarf paragon in there, just for flavor.

I love the idea!

Honestly, I think you'd be better off with Barb 1/Fighter 2/Incarnate 2/Ironsoul Forgemaster 10, provided you can swing the whole "I'm a Dwarf at heart" thing.

Seems solid. Probably more fun than what I had planned, too, as it gets the story moving earlier.

Metahuman1
2013-11-05, 05:19 PM
Things I'd consider doing:

1: Dip of a Book of Nine Swords Class. Most likely Warblade or Crusader. Cause maneuvers are just that good for a build like this. And not even hard to justify.

2: Invest in Kensai for at least five levels to get a custom magic weapon (which you can spend additional money later to further upgrade.), and get you things like a Concentration check to boost your Strength (which you could probably activate before combat/first round before activating rage to stack them.), and most importantly, concentration checks to reflex saves. Never fail a save on a nat 1 again for reflex, fuel it off Con Mod, and boost it faster then all the other saves at the cost of skill ranks so that you don't have to care too much about them.

3: If you take fighter 3, look up the dead levels web artical and throw them at the build, it might not be much help, but it's not gonna hurt you any.

4: Consider investing in Endurance/Tireless and Steadfast Determination. Con to AC, and all saves is good. And Never fail a fort or a reflex save on a nat 1 if combined with suggestion 2.

5: Invest 1-2 levels into Monk. Wait, hear me out! You get bonus feats, the ability to punch things if you loose your weapon, and evasion assuming that's not covered in the "loose it if you wear armor" clause. Handy if you take suggestion 2.

But here's what you really wanna do. Get a +1 necklace of natural Weapons, and an Adamatine Weapon's Augmentation Crystal. Add them and put it on, you now have hardness. Goes really well With suggestion 2, since you can put +5 into your flat bonus to hit/damage unarmed and raise the hardness that way. Makes you a much better bruiser/brute. Added niceness would be throwing Ghost Touch and Defensive on that necklace for +5 AC/Touch AC every round with out giving up anything of value, and if Evasion works in armor, coming that with Concentration checks in place of reflex saves. Never get so much as slowed down on a reflex save again.

Take/Mix/Match as you like.

sniffies
2013-11-05, 08:33 PM
I thought about Crusader for thicket.

infomatic
2014-01-30, 09:59 PM

Bbn1/Incarnate is a bit tough, as you really want the lawful Incarnate for ridiculous power attacks. (Apologies for the thread necromancy).

gorfnab
2014-01-31, 12:53 AM
Any chance of fitting some levels of Battlesmith (RoS) in? Each level of Battlesmith adds 3 CL for the purposes of making magic weapons/armor with the Craft Magic Arms and Armor feat. 4 levels of Battlesmith is nice breakpoint.