PDA

View Full Version : dnd 3.5 to PF conversion

elonin
2013-11-05, 03:51 PM
I'm not the dm for the group, but want to make suggestions to him. We are playing pathfinder but is using a series of modules from 3.5. The group is fairly low op, though there are 5 of us plus a cohort (I wouldn't have allowed this personally). According to the DM he's taking the published number of mooks and about doubling them and in some cases advancing their level by one or two. Then taking the elites and beefing them up.

There have been some challenging combats, but we've never had a pc death and we are playing at 10th level. What would you do?

Psyren
2013-11-05, 03:55 PM
It sounds like combat is dangerous but survivable - exactly where you want to be. Can you elaborate on the problem?

The Glyphstone
2013-11-05, 03:56 PM
My experience running a 3.5 module under PF rules (Red Hand of Doom, as it happens), was that PF characters were about +1 ECL stronger than their identical 3.5 counterparts, and the extra action economy of a 6-person party amounted to another effective +1. So if your group of 6 is level 10, they have as much combat power, and should fight enemies, appropriate for a group of 4 level 12 characters. Have your DM run the CR calculations on his upgraded fights and see if they add +2 CR to the encounters as written in the module.

elonin
2013-11-05, 05:08 PM
Isn't a party of 6 more or less 1.5 as capable as a typical party of 4? Is there a guide to spells that got nerfed in pathfinder (from 3.5)? Hopefully with spells that are more effective in pathfinder.

Psyren: The problem is the game doesn't feel challenging. I'm used to games in which there was the threat of a TPK every two or three sessions. I'm not looking for that level of difficulty but it does need to be bumped up a notch.

Psyren
2013-11-05, 05:11 PM
Show your GM this (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1nx-o8VAjhUwh3nnfzDQT-JA5eFLnN_BZJiBitGjBMDg/edit) - it's designed for PF.

Unfortunately the best way to learn the spells is just to dive in. I don't know if anyone's gone through them all to call out the changes. (I did so for the psionic powers though.)

ArqArturo
2013-11-05, 05:22 PM
I have personally have seen a PF Paladin/Cleric using a Fist of Raziel PF refurbishing. That was insanely powerful, but with the new effects of turn undead, some of the abilities of the FoR's smiting abilities were sort of lost. Other than that, it's very powerful.

This was before the Oradin build, of course.

elonin
2013-11-05, 07:06 PM
Thanks. The guide appears to be really good. Intuitively I knew that action economy is a big deal (and play thus) but wouldn't have formulated that idea.