PDA

View Full Version : Bringing a dagger to a swordfight

Zmeoaice
2013-11-05, 04:07 PM
So far we have only seen Tarquin wield the dagger that he was going to use to kill Roy. He lost his axe in the Pyramid, but then went to bring his army. Why didn't he get another weapon like a sword or axe or club or anything better than a puny dagger when he knows he'll fight a bunch of high-mid level adventurers? That sounds dumb.

Gift Jeraff
2013-11-05, 04:09 PM
I'm sure his wives have said that to him in the bedroom more than once.

Perseus
2013-11-05, 04:10 PM
So far we have only seen Tarquin wield the dagger that he was going to use to kill Roy. He lost his axe in the Pyramid, but then went to bring his army. Why didn't he get another weapon like a sword or axe or club or anything better than a puny dagger when he knows he'll fight a bunch of high-mid level adventurers? That sounds dumb.

Because sometimes it isn't the size of the damage die but what you do with it that counts.

Plus he brought a high level sorcerer (or whatever) and psion... He essentially brought a nuclear bomb to a swordfight while having immunity to said nuclear bomb.

Ewig Custos
2013-11-05, 04:16 PM
Why didn't he get another weapon like a sword or axe or club or anything better than a puny dagger when he knows he'll fight a bunch of high-mid level adventurers?
Maybe because he thought that his entire plot-revealing army would be enough to bring them down?

SoC175
2013-11-05, 04:24 PM
or anything better than a puny dagger when he knows he'll fight a bunch of high-mid level adventurers? That sounds dumb.Well, if you're high level enough your static damage bonus makes your weapon's damage dice no that important anymore.

Perseus
2013-11-05, 04:32 PM
Well, if you're high level enough your static damage bonus makes your weapon's damage dice no that important anymore.

Usually... But Tarquin is doing 1d4 + Strength Modifier (5 to 8 or so I want to guess... Magic items) since he doesn't seem to have sneak attack or the like.

Now if he had a two handed weapon and power attacking... Like our buddy Roy then yeah the extra damage outweighs the 1d10 or 2d6.

Snails
2013-11-05, 04:36 PM
Not only Power Attack, which is usually a big loss, but a frontline fighting dude is never going to have the nice feats to boost the dagger.

Perseus
2013-11-05, 04:45 PM
Not only Power Attack, which is usually a big loss, but a frontline fighting dude is never going to have the nice feats to boost the dagger.

Yup, or class features.

Unless you dagger is made out of the heaviest metal and you are a hulking hurler...

Vinsfeld
2013-11-05, 04:46 PM
What about this chekhov's whip? (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0863.html)

Actually, I think that whatever plan the Giant had for this whip, he changed his mind about it.

EDIT: I was wrong :smalltongue:

karkus
2013-11-06, 12:01 AM

HA! Zing!

http://i.imgur.com/cw2sINS.jpg

thereaper
2013-11-06, 12:41 AM
Because he hasn't bothered spending actions to take out a different weapon, assuming he even brought one with him (after all, why would he think he needed one?).

skim172
2013-11-06, 01:04 AM
Tarquin could have a weapon in hammerspace - the dagger is for the theatric spectacle of personal execution, with the blade driven deep into the heart (and also for unexpectedly slitting up disloyal sons).

The Giant usually doesn't resort to hammerspace for large weapons - swords, polearms, etc. are usually shown strapped to the body. But a whip? Small enough - Tarquin may indeed have it handy.

Although ... looking at the older strips ...
Did Tarquin put his cape and regular armor back on? The man didn't pick up a new weapon, but he made sure to change his armor? Truly a dedicated follower of fashion. (Oh yes, he is!)

BriarHobbit
2013-11-06, 01:07 AM
We have no idea of what enchantments are on that dagger.

Evandar
2013-11-06, 01:09 AM
Tarquin could have a weapon in hammerspace - the dagger is for the theatric spectacle of personal execution, with the blade driven deep into the heart (and also for unexpectedly slitting up disloyal sons).

The Giant usually doesn't resort to hammerspace for large weapons - swords, polearms, etc. are usually shown strapped to the body. But a whip? Small enough - Tarquin may indeed have it handy.

Did Tarquin put his cape and regular armor back on? The man didn't pick up a new weapon, but he made sure to change his armor? Truly a dedicated follower of fashion. (Oh yes, he is!)

Isn't his armour glamoured?

oppyu
2013-11-06, 01:16 AM
Would a whip be more effective in his current situation? He's a melee fighter with two spellcasters, it's his job to fight the dudes wearing heavy armour and threaten stuff. Whips are essentially ranged weapons which invite an AOO every time he uses it. With the dagger he can threaten and defend while the near-epic spellcasters tear stuff up.

EDIT: Although that doesn't explain why he didn't just take a sword from one of his mooks.

Living Oxymoron
2013-11-06, 01:42 AM
My problem with that whip was like: what kind of guy spends a feat to use one of the most lames weapons ever? The weapon deals 1d3 of non-lethal damage, doesn't deal damage to creatures with an armor bonus of +1 or higher, neither to creatures with a natural armor bonus of +3 or higher. Did he really expect he would do something useful with it? Its to strange in my opinion. But I don't believe that whip was there without intention... maybe it's the Giant increasing the mystery about his class(es) or telling us that Tarquin is not so prepared to anything as most of us tend to think around here.

As for the dagger, I see it (mechanically speaking) as a handicap to Tarquin to balance the things in this last battle, which is an outnumbered, but probably low epic team against a wounded, depleted, but full Order of the Stick. Narratively speaking, it would mean that he was so confident that his son would willingly take a place in the leadership of the party or that the army would succeed at killing Roy, that he didn't expect to fight personally against them. Had he the axe, the things would be way harder, not to say impossible for the OotS.

Belwynn
2013-11-06, 01:55 AM
I wonder if Tarquin's whip style and Malack's Tarquin-taught grappling techniques may have some commonality.

Ramien
2013-11-06, 02:31 AM
We have seen him use that dagger before, in his fight with Elan while pun dueling. I expect he'll show some decent proficiency with the dagger when it comes down to it.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2013-11-06, 02:48 AM
My problem with that whip was like: what kind of guy spends a feat to use one of the most lames weapons ever?

The kind who has a lot of feats to spend on obscure combat techniques. Or even some not-so-obscure ones, really. You can disarm, trip, or horse-jack someone from 15 feet away with that thing, and when your top priority is to look cool, that's a pretty nice option to have.

It's also a literal slave-driving tool, so... there's that.

Fish
2013-11-06, 02:51 AM
My guess: it's poisoned.

Because Elan has Neutralize Poison. It would infuriate Tarquin to see Elan healing Roy...

thereaper
2013-11-06, 05:47 AM

I've changed my mind. I like these two explanations more.

AstralFire
2013-11-06, 06:08 AM

Because Elan has Neutralize Poison. It would infuriate Tarquin to see Elan healing Roy...

brilliant.

HZ514
2013-11-06, 06:09 AM
Isn't his armour glamoured?

Glamered, but yes it's rather glamourous.

Sunken Valley
2013-11-06, 06:40 AM
Like father like son

Roland Itiative
2013-11-06, 09:07 AM
His armour changes colour magically, he didn't put a different one, just changed its look back (probably not to raise any questions when he was back on the EoB).

As for the dagger... Well, his plan was to coup-de-grāce Roy, not engage in a full-on melee. He didn't need another weapon for that. And now he seems to have put all strategy behind him, and is just plain attacking.

Jade_Tarem
2013-11-06, 09:13 AM
Yeah, Tarkin operates at a level where the size of the weapon doesn't matter as much as how much magic whammy was put into it. If that's a +5 Defending Keen Speed Adamantine Dagger, it's a better weapon than Thog has ever picked up, despite the small size.

Coat
2013-11-06, 09:28 AM
My problem with that whip was like: what kind of guy spends a feat to use one of the most lames weapons ever? The weapon deals 1d3 of non-lethal damage, doesn't deal damage to creatures with an armor bonus of +1 or higher, neither to creatures with a natural armor bonus of +3 or higher. Did he really expect he would do something useful with it? Its to strange in my opinion. But I don't believe that whip was there without intention... maybe it's the Giant increasing the mystery about his class(es) or telling us that Tarquin is not so prepared to anything as most of us tend to think around here.

What with the dagger, the whip, and what looks like a lot of Evasion going on, can't help thinking that Weapon Finesse is likely to be on Tarquin's character sheet, along with a lot of boosts to Dex.

Dealing non-lethal damage, but only to people with very little armour, along with trips and disarms? hmmm. That sounds handy if you have a disobedient Bard you need to discipline but would rather not kill. Plus his roguish partner...

Mastikator
2013-11-06, 09:38 AM
Considering the fact that he one-shotted Nale with that dagger either he's very good at stabbing people, or the comic only uses D&D for humor and getting stabbed actually kills you.

Jay R
2013-11-06, 09:54 AM

Yeah, Tarkin operates at a level where the size of the weapon doesn't matter as much as how much magic whammy was put into it. If that's a +5 Defending Keen Speed Adamantine Dagger, it's a better weapon than Thog has ever picked up, despite the small size.

And that's what he tells his wives.

Chronos
2013-11-06, 10:05 AM
Considering the fact that he one-shotted Nale with that dagger either he's very good at stabbing people, or the comic only uses D&D for humor and getting stabbed actually kills you.
Or Nale was just injured really, really badly at that point, such that a single stab from a dagger was enough to finish him off.

AKA_Bait
2013-11-06, 10:11 AM

That would be fantastic, and make tons of thematic sense (since Elan got neutralize poison as a result of the whole Therkla character arc).

Of course, we know already that Tarquin's dagger does 1d4 + plot. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=299318)

littlebum2002
2013-11-06, 11:56 AM
I think Tarquin has the same reason to love daggers that Belkar does. Well, a similar reason. Belkar just likes feeling he gets when it digs into soft flesh. You just don't get that with a sword. Tarquin, similarly, wants personal power over those he kills. It's much more intimate killing someone from 3 inches away with a dagger than with an axe.

Anyway, My guess:

It's a +1 Unholy (+3) Brilliant Energy (+7) Collision (+9) Throwing (+10) dagger.
(That's +2d6 to Good creatures, ignore armor bonus, +5 damage, and, well, throwing.)

Also it has Prismatic Burst, Shadowstrike, Everbright, and every other fixed GP bonus you can get. You can have a lot of fun with items when you have unlimited money.

Although if I had a dagger, I'd make it a Sundering dagger. Optimal? no. Seeing the look on the Big Dumb Fighter's face when your dagger sunders his greatsword? priceless.

Ramien
2013-11-06, 12:22 PM
I think Tarquin has the same reason to love daggers that Belkar does. Well, a similar reason. Belkar just likes feeling he gets when it digs into soft flesh. You just don't get that with a sword. Tarquin, similarly, wants personal power over those he kills. It's much more intimate killing someone from 3 inches away with a dagger than with an axe.

Anyway, My guess:

It's a +1 Unholy (+3) Brilliant Energy (+7) Collision (+9) Throwing (+10) dagger.
(That's +2d6 to Good creatures, ignore armor bonus, +5 damage, and, well, throwing.)

Also it has Prismatic Burst, Shadowstrike, Everbright, and every other fixed GP bonus you can get. You can have a lot of fun with items when you have unlimited money.

Although if I had a dagger, I'd make it a Sundering dagger. Optimal? no. Seeing the look on the Big Dumb Fighter's face when your dagger sunders his greatsword? priceless.

Can't be Brilliant Energy - those glow like nothing else, and you think they would have dared miss the obvious lightsaber comparison?

Grey_Wolf_c
2013-11-06, 12:31 PM
Anyway, My guess:

My own guess is that it is a dagger custom made by with virgins with the property "when you coup de grace with this dagger and the target dies, he cannot be resurrected"

Grey Wolf

Living Oxymoron
2013-11-06, 01:34 PM
What with the dagger, the whip, and what looks like a lot of Evasion going on, can't help thinking that Weapon Finesse is likely to be on Tarquin's character sheet, along with a lot of boosts to Dex.

True, not to mention all that dodging (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0853.html) he made at the first fight against the Order (though I believe it would be a result of the Dodge+Expertise feats). Maybe one day we will know that he actually uses a light armor, like leather or studded leather, and that he uses that glamered ability to make the armor a plate just to look badass. Hehehe... :smallbiggrin:

...:smallconfused:
...Wait. Is that even possible??? :smalleek:

Silverionmox
2013-11-06, 01:36 PM
It will make or break him, so he's got to take the best. No compromising on an ensemble!

eilandesq
2013-11-06, 03:44 PM

Anyway, My guess:

All kidding aside, if he didn't have a Throwing enchantment put on the axe that he actually threw, he probably doesn't have one on the dagger.

I see your argument on the Sundering enchantment, but Tarquin seems to have almost a PC's appreciation of the value of loot (particularly since decking himself with high powered items like he does is godawful expensive), and would therefore be reluctant to break perfectly good treasure when dealing with a melee opponent he probably outclasses in any event (in general, not just this fight--epic or near epic level fighters don't encounter peers very often unless they're seeking them out). Of course, Roy's starmetal sword would resist sundering at any event, but Tarquin (probably) wouldn't know that.

Cirin
2013-11-06, 03:57 PM

Wow, that would be incredible. If Tarquin hadn't completely, utterly lost it by that point, that would certainly push him over the edge (again, if he's not already over the edge).

eilandesq
2013-11-06, 03:57 PM
My own guess is that it is a dagger custom made by with virgins with the property "when you coup de grace with this dagger and the target dies, he cannot be resurrected"

Grey Wolf

Weapon: Dagger +1, intelligent, named "Tarquin's Will"
adamantine
wounding
keen
Special Purpose: defeating anyone who threatens Tarquin's authori-tah
Special Purpose Power: casts Trap The Soul (no save) on target killed by coup de grace--dagger can contain up to five souls, souls can be transferred to gems that fulfill the material component requirement for a Trap the Soul spell (he hasn't told the rest of TT about this power).

INT: 16
EGO: really high but not remotely close to Tarquin's :-P

SavageWombat
2013-11-06, 04:12 PM
Poison on weapons has been clearly visible every time it's come up in the strip - at least in the Dragon continuity I'm sure.

But it could be a Dagger of Venom.

Cirin
2013-11-06, 04:42 PM
While the Giant joked that it does 1d4+plot, the rest of that quote was:

"In all seriousness, it was my intention that Nale was very badly wounded. The dagger was not intended to be some massive unstoppable super-dagger; the idea was to emphasize that Nale was acting rashly in the first place. He didn't realize that he was dancing a dagger-wound away from death the whole time."

The official word on the dagger (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15875561&postcount=24)

So, it may well be magical, it might be more than just a regular/masterwork dagger, but it's not some uber-item that can Trap The Soul, or permanently kill people with a Coup De Grace, or is a +10 equivalent item, ect.

My guess is that its a +1 Sure Striking Metalline Dagger (i.e. a backup weapon that can break almost any kind of damage reduction, not optimum for this exact situation, but something a Crazy Prepared man like Tarquin could believably have on his person at any time).

King of Nowhere
2013-11-06, 06:05 PM
my guess is that it is just some powerful dagger tarquin found in his adventuring, and he preferred to keep it as a backup weapon rather than sell. We don't know exactly waht it does, i think it wasn't made with special qualities, it's simply another weapon in case he loses his axe. a dagger makes sense as backup weapon, since you can easily carry it around, while keeping a second polearm strapped on your back would be really encumbering (although not by the rules).
he didn't got a sword from the army because a +5 dagger is preferrable to a non magical sword. he would have needed to teleport back to his palace to get some new big weapon. either he didn't expect to need it, or he preferred to not waste the points for laurin's powers.
And yes, that's going to even the odds a bit. It's a backup weapon, not the original one. Still, tarquin is prepared fro bringing it. how many D&D ffighters carry a backup weapon, considering that only a very sadistic master would smash their precious loot and no one uses the disarm rules anyway?

AKA_Bait
2013-11-07, 10:08 AM
It also just occurred to me, as a result of Tarquin's comment in the first panel of 928, that he may have assumed that the OotS are much lower level than they actually are before V pulled out a 7th level spell. Unless I'm forgetting something, the only high level spell he'd seen any member of the party use was Holy Word.

AstralFire
2013-11-07, 10:12 AM
It also just occurred to me, as a result of Tarquin's comment in the first panel of 928, that he may have assumed that the OotS are much lower level than they actually are before V pulled out a 7th level spell. Unless I'm forgetting something, the only high level spell he'd seen any member of the party use was Holy Word.

Holy Word is a 7th level spell and he should have a good idea of Roy, Vanilla Durkon and Elan's martial capabilities at this point. Tarquin's ego and assumptions are certainly to blame, but I doubt he has a very inaccurate level estimation.

AKA_Bait
2013-11-07, 10:23 AM
Holy Word is a 7th level spell and he should have a good idea of Roy, Vanilla Durkon and Elan's martial capabilities at this point. Tarquin's ego and assumptions are certainly to blame, but I doubt he has a very inaccurate level estimation.

His extended fight with Elan was one of the reasons that I had this thought. Consider that Elan is pretty far from combat optimized for his level and, rather concluding that his son sucks, Tarquin may have concluded that Elan (and thus his party) were lower level overall than they actually are.

AstralFire
2013-11-07, 10:35 AM
His extended fight with Elan was one of the reasons that I had this thought. Consider that Elan is pretty far from combat optimized for his level and, rather concluding that his son sucks, Tarquin may have concluded that Elan (and thus his party) were lower level overall than they actually are.

I dunno about that. Anyone with any sense knows that melee combat superiority is not a Bard's forte unless they are built in a very specific way. Furthermore, I'd argue that everything we've seen of Elan since he took a level in his prestige class shows that he is quite competent in melee, it's just not his specialty. Tarquin had a specific obscure way to negate his son's specific obscure ability.

HerbieRAI
2013-11-07, 10:59 AM
Does it state anywhere that the Axe was Tarquin's main weapon? At the time he used it he was trying to look like Thog. If the order had seen someone acting like Thog jumping down holding a dagger the illusion would have been blown immediatly. After all, I don't think he even attacked with the thing.

I see Tarquin as a defensive build to tank the enemies while the casters/ assassin/ other fighter in his party do the damage. Except the strike at Nale, he hasn't really done any damage himself. He even has an ability to counter act Pun attacks, an ability from a class in a real obscure sidebook.

AstralFire
2013-11-07, 11:02 AM
Does it state anywhere that the Axe was Tarquin's main weapon? At the time he used it he was trying to look like Thog. If the order had seen someone acting like Thog jumping down holding a dagger the illusion would have been blown immediatly. After all, I don't think he even attacked with the thing.

I see Tarquin as a defensive build to tank the enemies while the casters/ assassin/ other fighter in his party do the damage. Except the strike at Nale, he hasn't really done any damage himself. He even has an ability to counter act Pun attacks, an ability from a class in a real obscure sidebook.

He relished the chance to bring his axe out of retirement in the first scene we saw him with it, while also looking forward to battling a challenging opponent in Roy. I think we can surmise that if the Axe is not his main weapon, it is certainly one of his better ones.

oonker
2013-11-07, 11:06 AM
Does it state anywhere that the Axe was Tarquin's main weapon?

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0050.html

You tell me!

KoboldRevenge
2013-11-07, 11:36 AM

Tarquin's puny dagger is no comparison to his wive's mighty swords!

Mr_Scruffy_Kilz
2013-11-07, 11:40 AM
True, not to mention all that dodging (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0853.html) he made at the first fight against the Order (though I believe it would be a result of the Dodge+Expertise feats). Maybe one day we will know that he actually uses a light armor, like leather or studded leather, and that he uses that glamered ability to make the armor a plate just to look badass. Hehehe... :smallbiggrin:

...:smallconfused:
...Wait. Is that even possible??? :smalleek:

Very... if a hat of disguise can glamer a Titan to look like a Gnome, then a glamer spell could easily make a full suit of studded leather look like full plate and a ski mask look like a metal helmet.

Living Oxymoron
2013-11-07, 12:52 PM
Very... if a hat of disguise can glamer a Titan to look like a Gnome, then a glamer spell could easily make a full suit of studded leather look like full plate and a ski mask look like a metal helmet.

What is funny is that the original description of the Glamered ability doesn't seem to allow all that thing Tarquin does with his armor: it can simply change from an armor to a normal set of clothing and vice-versa (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicArmor.htm#glamered). So I think it's not so difficult to Tarquin to use Evasion for his own account, instead of doing this through magic items.

The Pilgrim
2013-11-07, 01:58 PM
I'm beggining to think that Tarquin's weapon of choice is the Dagger, and he only picked the Axe to the Pyramid because he needed to look like Thog.

Maybe he had the Battle Axe as weapon of choice in his youth, but as he grew older and his combat style become more and more defensive-focused, he skipped to a dagger because he needs it for very specific defensive feats and maneouvers (like counter-pun), is easy and convenient to always carry on him (and conceal) or/and because that dagger is an ultra-powerful arcane artifact from the ninth layer of Hell.

jere7my
2013-11-07, 02:57 PM
I'm beggining to think that Tarquin's weapon of choice is the Dagger, and he only picked the Axe to the Pyramid because he needed to look like Thog.

Maybe he had the Battle Axe as weapon of choice in his youth, but as he grew older and his combat style become more and more defensive-focused, he skipped to a dagger because he needs it for very specific defensive feats and maneouvers (like counter-pun), is easy and convenient to always carry on him (and conceal) or/and because that dagger is an ultra-powerful arcane artifact from the ninth layer of Hell.

That doesn't explain why he wished he'd brought a backup axe.

The Pilgrim
2013-11-07, 03:27 PM
That doesn't explain why he wished he'd brought a backup axe.

Maybe he still wanted to look like Thog.

Anyway, he didn't pick a spare axe when he returned home. He had time to get a Triceratops as mount, but not a spare axe?

Living Oxymoron
2013-11-07, 04:20 PM
Maybe he still wanted to look like Thog.

Anyway, he didn't pick a spare axe when he returned home. He had time to get a Triceratops as mount, but not a spare axe?

After having his helm removed, even predict it would be removed (which is the reason he wore that mask), stop disguising his speech, and take a whip, do you really believe he still wanted to look like Thog?

Evandar
2013-11-07, 09:00 PM
Well, here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0822.html) he says he'll get his axe out of storage for the occasion. The fact it's 'his axe' and not 'an axe' clearly implies it's something fairly powerful and that he's fond of it.

It's clearly something heavily enchanted and probably his weapon of choice. As for not bothering to pick one up again, I'd guess he didn't prepare the triceratops with another axe and the armory was far away, or something slightly implausible but not too ridiculous.

Or the dagger, being a weapon he generally carries with him, has enough enchantments to make it superior to an unenchanted axe (since he lost the original).

rodneyAnonymous
2013-11-07, 09:48 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0050.html

You tell me!

That looks like the same axe (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0849.html), minus the runes, but that is probably attributable to an art upgrade.

Living Oxymoron
2013-11-08, 03:38 AM
That looks like the same axe (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0849.html), minus the runes, but that is probably attributable to an art upgrade.

I do not think that was due to an art upgrade. The drawing improved a lot since then, but the axe looks the same here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0725.html).

coineineagh
2013-11-08, 03:55 AM
Could the whip possibly offer a special ability, like disarming opponents, grappling casters or some other form of interference? We must assume that the whip offers something useful, if he even brought it along.
And I agree that the daggers is probably a heavily enchanted weapon. Enough for Tarquin to be confident that it would end his son's life in a single theatrical blow. And the obscure and mysterious combat feats that Tarquin has are probably linked to the choice of dagger. Maybe his attacks are in fact so strong, that he uses Expertise to augment his weakness - defense.

rodneyAnonymous
2013-11-08, 03:57 AM
I do not think that was due to an art upgrade. The drawing improved a lot since then, but the axe looks the same here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0725.html).

So it does. Perhaps that axe was enchanted later, and runes were added. The shape seems distinctive.

The Pilgrim
2013-11-08, 04:10 AM
Well, here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0822.html) he says he'll get his axe out of storage for the occasion. The fact it's 'his axe' and not 'an axe' clearly implies it's something fairly powerful and that he's fond of it.

The fact that he has it on storage implies he hasn't used it in ages. Which is odd for someone that works as a Warlord in a war-ridden continent on a Fantasy world. Unless said axe is no longer his weapon of choice.

Trillium
2013-11-08, 04:20 AM
The fact that he has it on storage implies he hasn't used it in ages. Which is odd for someone that works as a Warlord in a war-ridden continent on a Fantasy world. Unless said axe is no longer his weapon of choice.

But he hasn't warred for years. His last "battle" was with Nale and Nale may have just been unworthy of taking the axe out of storage =)
As for assassins and minor slaughter he has a trusty dagger.

Living Oxymoron
2013-11-08, 04:33 AM

I think he takes the weapon that the occasion demands.

Is it a war-ridden continent, as you said? Yes, it is.

But he needs to walk around with an axe when the everyday job is restricted to politics, manipulation and army management? I don't think so.

Then comes the dagger. Concealed under his cloak, it looks the perfect weapon to take even in social situations.

Speaking of his cloak, the lack of it while he was disguised as Thog (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0850.html) is probably an indication that he didn't bring the dagger along.

The Pilgrim
2013-11-08, 06:31 AM
But he hasn't warred for years. His last "battle" was with Nale and Nale may have just been unworthy of taking the axe out of storage =)
As for assassins and minor slaughter he has a trusty dagger.

Now that you mention it, he was using sword and shield (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0725.html) back then.

For everyday work, I understand carrying a dagger. But when marching to battle?

Trillium
2013-11-08, 06:47 AM
Now that you mention it, he was using sword and shield (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0725.html) back then.

I doubt Nale's coup was a "war". Most likely it was just an in-palace coup. Nale went berserk when denied throne and Linear Guild attacked Tarquin and Malak. Those may just be some random guard's sword and shield, for what we know.

Coat
2013-11-08, 07:12 AM
How about a Life-Drinker whip, coupled with an item that gives him negative energy protection - which, let's face it, it's hard to believe that Mr Crazy-Prepared-With-A-Vampire-BFF doesn't already have.

15' reach, trips and disarms for melee foes, negative levels to neutralise casters - doesn't that sound like Tarquin to you?

Grey_Wolf_c
2013-11-08, 09:55 AM
I doubt Nale's coup was a "war". Most likely it was just an in-palace coup. Nale went berserk when denied throne and Linear Guild attacked Tarquin and Malak. Those may just be some random guard's sword and shield, for what we know.

Tarquin "keeps it fresh" by creating a new persona with every Empire change. If Tyrania's top general was known for his chainmail and double-hand sword, he may have switched to sword-and-shield, plate armour when he switched to the Blood Empress' side.

That way, fewer people suspects that it is the same guy that is running both Empires - he just looks like interchangeable generals, neither of which is [are? damn the English language] similar to the guy with the axe that once had his own empire.

Grey Wolf

Jay R
2013-11-08, 04:32 PM

He doesn't. He works as a power behind the throne in a carefully controlled series of palace coups that have replaced war.

Besides, a general rarely even draws a weapon.

Living Oxymoron
2013-11-08, 06:00 PM

I'll have to quote myself:

Narratively speaking, it would mean that he was so confident that his son would willingly take a place in the leadership of the party or that the army would succeed at killing Roy, that he didn't expect to fight personally against them. Had he the axe, the things would be way harder, not to say impossible for the OotS.

Evandar
2013-11-08, 09:34 PM
Yeah, I probably would have expected my army to win against the wounded adventurers too, now that you mention it.

Jay R
2013-11-09, 10:23 AM

His weapon of choice is an army. He brought thousands of swords.

Benthesquid
2013-11-09, 11:01 AM
His weapon of choice is an army. He brought thousands of swords.

Weapon of choice... Don't be alarmed by the sound of my voice.

They're out in the desert...

Clearly, Belkar is going to take some more spice and reveal himself as the Kwisatz Haderach, and his genetic memory will wind up possessing his niece after his death.

Cronos988
2013-11-09, 11:14 AM
I think the most likely explanation is that when he ordered mobilization of the army, he did not expect to loose his weapon. Comic 928 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0882.html) implies that he had prepared the march prior to following the order, so it's entirely possible he never was back in the city. He brought an army and two high level spellcasters as a backup plan. I think bringing amother high lvl weapon as a backup for the backup would be complete overkill.

Zmeoaice
2013-11-11, 12:04 AM
Well. I guess he did have that whip.

mimhoff
2013-11-11, 12:15 AM
Impaling Elan on Roy's sword is a pretty awesome move too. Even better than "coup de gras with the dagger on a Triceratops".

Jay R
2013-11-11, 10:29 AM
Now guessing the weapon feels like a game of Clue.

His axe? His whip? His army? His dagger?

No.

"Tarquin, with Roy's sword, through the good son."

Evandar
2013-11-11, 10:39 AM
Tha be daft.

Everyone knows it always be the butler, laddie.

Oh my god I'm a dwarf in the playground. Time to transcribe my accent.

The Pilgrim
2013-11-11, 01:35 PM
Besides, a general rarely even draws a weapon.

In an heroic fantasy setting, a General is, in fact, drawing his weapons on every battle.

halfeye
2013-11-11, 01:49 PM
are? damn the English language

Grey Wolf
"Are" IMO as an Englishman.

halfeye
2013-11-11, 01:52 PM
Now guessing the weapon feels like a game of Clue.

His axe? His whip? His army? His dagger?

No.

"Tarquin, with Roy's sword, through the good son."
Cluedo?

Too Short? meh!

Clistenes
2013-11-11, 03:14 PM
I think that Tarquin, during his adventuring days, before starting the warlord business, invested most of his wealth in his equipment. He probably had the best armor in the world, a nice set of wondrous items, and a few very expensive weapons: A two-handed for combat (his greataxe), a light weapon, easy to conceal, for assassinations or for when he was swallowed whole or similar (his dagger), an exotic weapon to use as an anti-caster secret trick (his whip) and maybe a bow he keeps somewhere and that we haven't seen.

As most adventurers, Tarquin probably invested his money into improving his 3-4 weapons rather than buying spares; when he earned enough money he would pay a wizard to make his axe more powerful, rather than buying a second axe, since it's better to have a superior greataxe than two lesser ones.

Same for the other weapons, so he always had a two-handed, a light weapon, a whip and a ranged weapon.

Since he became a general, Tarquin doesn't brawl much anymore, so he hasn't bothered buying spares for his weapons, so he keeps the same greataxe, dagger and whip as ever.

When he lost his greataxe, he could easily have replaced it with another one, but the best he could find would probably be a +1 or +2 greataxe, and his dagger is probably something like a +5 human-bane mage-bane ghost touch unholy weapon, so he prefers to fight with his dagger.