PDA

View Full Version : Passage to Paradise

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

madtinker
2013-11-05, 04:43 PM
Tobias, you sitting in your father's candle shop, rendering tallow and heating beeswax when your friend Sam stops in.

"Hey, you want a chance to get outside the palisade? Old man Gunnison wants some lumber, so we're going to keep the beasties off. We could use an extra hand."

Manwhoisthisman
2013-11-05, 05:04 PM
"I dunno Sam, all this wax is awfully exciting," Tobias starts with a wry grin and a tone dripping with obviously false exuberance. "Are you sure you don't want to sit and make candles with me?"

madtinker
2013-11-05, 05:18 PM
Sam glances around the shop and sighs. "I forget. You're so dead set on taking over for your father you don't have time for extra jobs." He ends with a wink.

Manwhoisthisman
2013-11-05, 06:04 PM
Tobias laughs. "I'll go get my spear and meet you at the gate."

Proceed to gear up I should note here that he takes his spear, but not shield. In general the shield will pair with the warhammer. I noticed that using the shield with the spear gives a -1 to attack rolls, and the shield bonus to AC is removed in rounds when he uses the spear, making it just about moot.

madtinker
2013-11-05, 11:41 PM
Sam pumps a fist. "I knew my cunning argument would convince you." He turns to leave, and adds "Just don't be long. They want to leave soon so we can be back before dark."

You wind your way down the main street of town, passing thatched roofs then the stucco housefronts on the switchbacks. Most people who make eye contact nod in a friendly way. Father Feodor nods like the rest and then notices your spear. He bustles over to you, his priestly robes flowing in the breeze.

"Where are you off to Tobias, with that wicked implement of destruction?" His voice is friendly, but concerned.

Manwhoisthisman
2013-11-06, 09:27 AM
"Sam came to let me know there is a lumber gathering expedition and they could use more guards," Tobias says sheepishly. "And besides, the more people there are, the safer everyone is," he adds with a shrug.

madtinker
2013-11-06, 10:00 AM
The man chuckles. "I should have guessed. Just remember, the pointy end goes in the beastie. Sam will watch out for you, I'm sure."

Manwhoisthisman
2013-11-06, 01:08 PM
"Thank you Father", Tobias blurts out with a grin before running to catch Sam at the gate.

madtinker
2013-11-06, 04:24 PM
"Good luck," he calls after you.

The gate is to the east of town, perhaps a mile from the last house. The path is overgrown from disuse, but the lumber-wagon tracks are hard-packed. On the way to the gate you catch up with Marshall Gunnison driving his big wagon, 60 feet long with large u-shaped stays supported by wide wheels and connected by a central shaft. He squints at you as he hears your footsteps, then turns his attention back to the six ox team.

Manwhoisthisman
2013-11-06, 05:52 PM
I wave jovially at Marshall as I jog past and shout over my shoulder, "See you out there today!"

madtinker
2013-11-07, 10:51 AM
By now you've caught up with Sam. The shadow of the valley wall is just reaching your position as the sun climbs higher in the sky. "What took you so long?"

Manwhoisthisman
2013-11-07, 02:43 PM
"I got stopped by Father Feodor, I haven't missed anything have I?"

madtinker
2013-11-07, 05:31 PM
"Nah, Gunnison's still not here. But hey, meet the fellas. This is Tom, he's in charge." Tom is a large man with scarred forearms and a jovial face. A lollipop stick hangs from the corner of his mouth. He pulls out the sweet with one hand and offers the other for a handshake. "Tom Swayback. Glad to know ya."

Manwhoisthisman
2013-11-07, 06:03 PM
"Glad to know you, Tom," I say back casually. "I passed Marshall on my way over. Looks like he is expecting quite a haul today."

madtinker
2013-11-08, 12:00 AM
"Oh, he's got the big wagon out? Probably after ironwood again. Stuff's heavy." He pops the lollipop back in his mouth and takes a look over your shoulder, fingering a necklace strung with five large talons. "this your first time outside then?"

Manwhoisthisman
2013-11-08, 04:14 PM
"Nah, I've been on a few of the lesser hunts (who hasn't?), but this'll be my first time guarding."

madtinker
2013-11-09, 11:16 AM
"An old pro then. Glad to have you along."

Sam continues the introductions. "And this is Petr and Georg." He motions towards two young men, almost identical in height, build, and looks. The one called Petr wears an eyepatch, but that's the only difference you can see. "Recruiting again Sam? At least this one brings his own weapon."

madtinker
2013-11-12, 07:05 PM
Sam just grins as Gunnison creaks up in his wagon. Only now do you notice his two assistants riding just behind the driver's seat.

"Well Tom, you ready to open up and head out?"

"Ready as we'll ever be. Tobias, go see if anything is close by."

He indicates a ladder on the inside wall of the stockade. The wall is braced from the inside by large trunks of trees, and is made up of thirty foot tall stakes, woven together with branches in a sort of wicker fashion. The gate is a crude drawbridge riding in greased wooden bearings and drawn up by a capstan.

Manwhoisthisman
2013-11-12, 08:43 PM
I climb up the ladder and peer out [roll0] (+2 extra against animals).

edit to add: guess it helps to clarify, that was a spot check.

madtinker
2013-11-13, 10:19 PM
As you peek over the wall, you see the vast jungle of the crater. Huge trees rise above the brush of the forest floor, leafy branches swaying in the wind. Birds screech and call to one another in an eerie chorus.

Immediately below the wall is a large ditch, running along the stockade. Large trees and brush have been cleared away from the stockade to a distance of at least a hundred yards. A small flock of glidewings is roosting in the trees near the edge of the cleared area, and far off in the distance you hear the low bugle of a thunderherder.

Manwhoisthisman
2013-11-14, 09:43 AM
Tobias sighs contentedly and thinks why would anyone ever want to stay couped up behind these walls with all of that so close. After gazing in silence for what must've been too long, Tobias casually says, "It's all clear," without bothering to turn to the people below.

madtinker
2013-11-14, 11:02 AM
You hear Tom from below "Alright, keep a lookout while we lower the gate."

Most of the men below go into a small hut that you presume houses the capstan, and the gate creaks downward. Gunnison hurries back to the wagon and drives the team across the bridge while Petr and Georg keep a close guard. When they're clear of the bridge, it begins to rise again.

When the gate is fully closed, Tom, Sam, and the others emerge from the hut and climb up the ladder towards you.

Manwhoisthisman
2013-11-14, 12:49 PM
I look for a landing or something similar to hop onto.

madtinker
2013-11-14, 12:55 PM
Oh, forgot to mention that you are standing on a landing at the top of the ladder. There is room for a few people, and there is an anchor for a rope ladder.

When Tom reaches the top he secures a rope ladder to the anchor, taking care to make a sure knot. He drops the rope ladder down the palisade wall. "Well rookie, youngsters first."

Manwhoisthisman
2013-11-14, 06:12 PM
Tobias nods, climbs down the rope ladder and then walks across the ditch and begins climbing out.

madtinker
2013-11-14, 06:47 PM
The others follow. Tom descends last, and with an expert tug, the ladder falls free. Tom bundles it up, stows it in his pack, and everyone assembles wagonside.

"Alright," Tom begins, pulling the lollipop from his mouth, "Petr and Georg are on point. Sam, you take the left, Tobias, you take the right side of the wagon. I'll bring up the rear. You see or hear anything, give a shout out."

Manwhoisthisman
2013-11-15, 09:37 AM
I'll fall into place beside the wagon and happily walk along, looking at all the sights and hearing all the sounds.

madtinker
2013-11-15, 08:50 PM
Gunnison bawls at his team to "get on up," and the wagon rolls towards the timberline several hundred yards away.

The ground beneath your feet is covered with creeper vines in bloom with blue and orange flowers, giving the air a heady aroma. Overhead the glidewings circle, playing in the warm updrafts over the clear-cut. Insects buzz and chirp in the heat.

It doesn't take long to reach the edge of the jungle, and the wagon turns left to follow the treeline away from the crater wall. Gunnison squints at the trees close to the jungle's edge, apparently searching for the right tree to harvest.

OOC:
Make spot and listen checks. Or if you like, I can make them for you and we can speed up play, but I always feel like things are a lot more arbitrary when I don't roll the dice myself. Finally, if you could add a link to Tobias' character sheet in your sig, that would be very helpful.

Manwhoisthisman
2013-11-16, 09:56 AM
[roll0]
[roll1]
For rolling, I don't have a strong preference. I have some rules of thumb for when I'm DMing and I tend to stick to those:
Player rolls if (1) they are actively doing something or (2) they are making a saving throw. DM rolls for passive effects (like elves finding secret doors, there is no spoiler alert quite like "Ok, all the elves in the party, roll for secret doors")

Until I edit my signature, here is the link
http://coyotecode.net/profiler/view.php?id=15406

madtinker
2013-11-16, 07:59 PM
Seeing anything in the undergrowth is difficult, but you can hear something to your right, in the jungle, moving at about the same pace as the wagon.

Manwhoisthisman
2013-11-17, 04:07 PM
I call out, "Tom, I think something might be stalking the wagon from over there," while gesturing vaguely to the undergrowth at my right. "Can you hear it?"

madtinker
2013-11-17, 04:43 PM
Tom holds his head to one side, listening intently. "You're right. Moving maybe thirty feet away." He crunches the last of his lollipop and spits out the stick.

"Let's go see what's tracking us." He motions for Sam and Petr to take up position at the wagon's side near the jungle, and calls for Gunnison to hold up. At the man's cry the oxen lumber to a halt. Sam nervously readies a crossbow, losing some of his customary bravado.

Tom motions with his spear for you to go right, and he'll go left to circle around the beast and flank him.

Manwhoisthisman
2013-11-18, 01:49 PM
Alright, I'll ready my spear and try to keep quiet while keeping pace with Tom (in proper pincer formation of course).

[roll0]

madtinker
2013-11-18, 03:13 PM
You stumble through the undergrowth, quickly losing sight of your companions. As you turn to complete the pincer, you see a man-sized bipedal lizard staring at you. Its scaly skin is bright green with yellow stripes that somehow manage to blend in with the surrounding jungle. It's about 15 feet away.

Manwhoisthisman
2013-11-18, 08:10 PM
Does it appear to see me?

madtinker
2013-11-18, 10:17 PM
His beady eyes are staring at you, as if he's not sure what to think.

Manwhoisthisman
2013-11-20, 02:02 PM
After a stunned pause, I lower the point of my spear to the ground and hold up an empty, open hand, still too stupefied to speak.

madtinker
2013-11-20, 06:47 PM
At that moment, Tom completes the pincer movement behind the reptile, drawing in a sharp breath when he sees the two of you. The small sound is enough to break the spell, and the clawfoot springs away into the jungle.

Manwhoisthisman
2013-11-21, 01:26 PM
After a moments delay, I begin running after the clawfoot in an attempt to catch up.

madtinker
2013-11-21, 01:32 PM
Tom, also surprised at the sudden flight, calls after you, "Tobias, wait, you'll never catch him!"

You plunge into the jungle blindly, having lost sight of the clawfoot very quickly. You can still hear crashing in the undergrowth ahead of you, but its getting further ahead.

Manwhoisthisman
2013-11-21, 01:41 PM
After blundering ahead a bit, I realize Tom is right. I slow my pace and turn around. I'll start to speed up some when I think I'm headed in the right direction to get back to the wagon.

madtinker
2013-11-21, 04:59 PM
Guided by your own trail through the brush and Tom's calls, you find yourself back where you first saw the clawfoot. Tom glares at you.

"Tobias, I've never seen anyone do that. What possessed you to try?"

Manwhoisthisman
2013-11-22, 10:24 AM
Tobias blurts out in a rather exuberant tone, "Have you ever seen one of those before? I mean really looked at them? I think it was... thinking."

madtinker
2013-11-22, 10:52 AM
Tom breaks into a wide grin. "And you stared it down, you son of a lich! Not one man in fifty has the guts for that kind of stunt!"

Manwhoisthisman
2013-11-22, 11:51 AM
I shrug, "So, what does this mean for the wood chopping expedition? Do you think we'll see more of them out today?"

madtinker
2013-11-22, 12:00 PM
Tom turns to go back to the others. "Well, they do often hunt in packs. Hard to say, really. But if he had a pack he wouldn't have turned tail."

He's still shaking his head and laughing to himself. "Stared down a full-grown clawfoot, he he."

Manwhoisthisman
2013-11-22, 05:33 PM
I silently nod as I follow along back to the wagon.

madtinker
2013-11-22, 06:12 PM
As you emerge from the brush, you hear Tom giving orders. "Alright, we scared him off, let's keep the same marching order. Others may be close by, so stay sharp."

The wagon starts to creak forward, and everyone falls in step.

Take 100 xp.

Manwhoisthisman
2013-11-24, 12:27 AM
I resume my place at the right of the wagon, marching along and wondering if the clawfoot is like me, or completely different.

madtinker
2013-11-24, 12:27 PM
The wagon creaks on for another half mile or so before Gunnison calls a halt. He points to a large tree with broad saw-edged leaves standing 70 feet tall. It's a dozen or so yards from the edge of the clear-cut.

"We'll take this one. Looks like plenty of ironwood* there."

"Okay Marshall. Sam and Tobias, go check it out."

*Note that this ironwood is not the same as the ironwood created by the ironwood spell.

Manwhoisthisman
2013-11-25, 11:45 AM
I'll walk around the tree, looking for anything in the surrounding area, and then try to see if anything is higher up in the tree, walking away from the tree as necessary to get a good view.

[roll0]

madtinker
2013-11-25, 05:40 PM
There seems to be a large nest near the top of the tree. You see the corner of a large, leathery wing in the shadows of the branches and a woven mass of sticks and leaves.

Manwhoisthisman
2013-11-26, 09:33 AM
"Might want to pick a different tree. This one's got a nest up top, and somethin's up there," I say as I point out the nest and add, "Is that a glidewing?"

madtinker
2013-11-26, 10:43 AM
Gunnison,Tom,and the others stare in the direction you point.

Sam adds from behind you "I didn't see it at first, but it's there. Has some kind of nest."

"Well Tom, you think you can handle it?"

"Not sure Marshall. Tobias, how many beasties are there?"

Manwhoisthisman
2013-11-26, 10:54 AM
"I've only seen the one, but there could be more... We could smoke it out, but we'd need a big fire to get enough smoke up that high and that seems pretty risky."

madtinker
2013-11-26, 11:34 AM
"Hhm. We could try that. This green brush will put up smoke aplenty. Got a flint?"

Manwhoisthisman
2013-11-26, 12:07 PM
"I have." I say as I sling my pack off my back and begin to rummage through to get my flint and steel and a candle. I'll use the flint and steel to light the candle and then put my candle under a bushel (haha). Or rather, use the candle to try to get the bushel smoking.

madtinker
2013-11-26, 12:38 PM
Sam and Georg help gather brush and leaves. When you apply the flame the fire grows weakly at first, but gains heat and sends up billows of smoke. The lack of wind sends the smoke straight up into the tree. Lower leaves start to wilt and shrivel from the heat.

The glidewing finally takes off, screeching and circling the tree.

Manwhoisthisman
2013-11-26, 01:08 PM
"And that'd be the risky I mentioned. That glidewing will either fly away after a few minutes or else it has some eggs or hatchlings in the nest and it'll attract the attention of anything around for a couple miles. We'll need to douse the shrub in a few minutes anyway to keep the ironwood from catching as well."

madtinker
2013-11-26, 02:21 PM
As the words leave your mouth, two more glidewings answer the screeches of the first. They're headed your way and approaching fast.

Manwhoisthisman
2013-11-26, 03:22 PM
I grab my spear and ready against the aerial charge. With my gaze turned upward I ask, "What's the plan Tom?"

madtinker
2013-11-26, 04:46 PM
"Well Marshall, how bad do you want this tree?"

Gunnison, clearly put out by the inconvenience, scowls at the incoming beasties.

"Bad enough to make you earn your pay."

Tom utters a curse and spits out his lollipop. "Okay boys, let's take them down."

Petr and Georg ready crossbows. Sam stands near you with a javelin, and Tom draws a spear of his own. Gunnison and his helpers stand near the oxen with crossbows. The first glidewing screeches once more, circling the tree in frustration.

Manwhoisthisman
2013-11-26, 05:48 PM
"Gunnison, you also may want to keep an eye on the tree to make sure it doesn't catch." I say while waiting for the glidewings to come in range.

madtinker
2013-11-26, 10:50 PM
You don't catch Gunnison's reply, because the glidewing falls out of the sky like a leather bomb of fury, straight at you (makes a flying charge attack).

[roll0], [roll1]

Your readied action triggers just before the glidewing hits you, so make your attack. And you may want to make a stabilize roll or two.

Manwhoisthisman
2013-11-27, 09:01 AM
[roll0] [roll1]
[roll2]x2 [roll3]x2

[roll4]<10
[roll5]<10
[roll6]<10

So, I probably missed. Or did 16 damage. The real question is, could I have one-shotted it with 44 damage?

madtinker
2013-11-27, 12:07 PM
With 44 damage, you could have one-shotted this one.

On the edge of your consciousness you are aware of screeching, thuds, and the sickening schlurtzing sounds of flesh being pierced and torn.

You wake as a bitter liquid dribbles past your lips. (Healing potion, recovers [roll0])

Tom is leaning over you, and breathes a sigh of relief. "Thought we lost you there, lad."

Manwhoisthisman
2013-11-27, 02:28 PM
I groan a bit and then ask, "Did I get it?"

madtinker
2013-11-27, 02:40 PM
Tom laughs. "that's the spirit. No, you missed him by a scale. Buy he didn't get you either. You'll have a lovely scar though." he points to your shoulder and chest where you can still see tracks of saw-like teeth.

You were unconscious and dying for three rounds, so you are at 5 hp. Also, take 360 XP.

Manwhoisthisman
2013-12-02, 09:49 AM
Upon seeing the large teeth tracks I flinch, and then groan a bit more. I then look around to see where I am.
HP 5, XP 460

madtinker
2013-12-02, 10:51 AM
You're on the ground where you fell. To either side of you lie dead glidewings, their crumpled bodies far less majestic in death. Gunnison's men labor to extinguish the flames around the ironwood tree. Sam stands near by, his face relieved.

"How can you do this to me Tobias? I was afraid I'd have to explain to your dad how I got you killed. Don't ever do that again!"

Manwhoisthisman
2013-12-02, 11:00 PM
I grin and say, "That'd have suited you right. You're always getting me into trouble. My ma would've been furious." I laugh weakly.

madtinker
2013-12-02, 11:12 PM
Tom laughs at the two of you and unwraps another lollipop. "well, get yourself off the ground. We're not done here."

Sam offers you a hand up. "you know, I think you'll look better with the scar."

Manwhoisthisman
2013-12-04, 12:13 PM
I stand up. "Yeah, I bet Sarah'll like it," I say teasingly toward Sam. I have decided Sarah should be the name of the girl Sam fancies.

madtinker
2013-12-04, 03:33 PM
Sam's grin falters, but only for a second.

Tom cuts off his reply "If you don't keep a look out I'll give you a scar just like it, Sam Dreyfus."

Sam nods meekly and jogs a few yards into the jungle while Gunnison's men finish putting out the fire. Gunnison himself pulls a pair of axes out of a tool box on the wagon and the assistants start hacking away, notching the trunk so the tree falls away from the jungle. The thunking rhythm of axes biting wood is deadened by the dense undergrowth, but the regular sound seems to put Tom at ease.

Manwhoisthisman
2013-12-05, 10:45 AM
Sobered a bit by Sam getting called by his first and last name, I stand up, pick up my spear, and take up a post watching for critters.

madtinker
2013-12-05, 11:05 AM
The workmen finish notching the tree, and begin sawing through the trunk. After nearly an hour's work, the tree begins to creak. It picks up speed quickly and crashes to the ground in a cacophony of broken branches. In that moment, you see a shape dart from the undergrowth, jump and land on the lead ox, still harnessed to the wagon. The ox bellows is pain as the clawfoot tears into his neck.

Another clawfoot follows the first, launching itself at the ox without restraint.

Sam reacts instantly, rushing into range and heaving a javelin with all his might, only to see it fly way off target. As the first clawfoot slashes and bites the ox, it succumbs and keels over. The other oxen panic and pull every which way. Georg manages to get off a crossbow bolt that lodges in the neck of the first clawfoot. Its larger mate hisses in anger and charges Georg, leaving a bloody stripe from Georg's neck down to his gut. Petr cries out in anger at his brother's injury, but his shot misses its mark. Tom charges in to the rescue, mauling the creature in the shoulder.

Manwhoisthisman
2013-12-06, 09:29 AM
I'll move in with the spear and attack one of the clawfoots.

Manwhoisthisman
2013-12-06, 09:30 AM
Forgot to put in some rolls:
[roll0]
[roll1][roll2]

madtinker
2013-12-06, 01:33 PM
You negotiate the fallen tree, stabbing at the clawfoot that just opened Georg like a fish, but the tough hide turns your spear point aside.

Sam rushes the same animal, swinging the battleax he drew from his belt, but in his haste he is unable to land even one solid blow. The mate jumps into the fray, leaving Sam a bloody mess on the ground. Georg takes a step back from the larger beast, reloads his crossbow, and shoots, hitting it in the shoulder. The animal follows Georg with a single stride and leaves another series of gashes. Georg drops to the ground. Petr shoots again with impotent rage. Tom waves his spear, and finally plunges it into the chest of the larger clawfoot, which slumps to the ground, screaming in pain.

Manwhoisthisman
2013-12-08, 03:43 PM
I'll try to finish off the clawfoot that was just hit by Tom.
[roll0][roll1]

madtinker
2013-12-09, 06:13 PM
That should have read, "its screams of pain trailing into a loudeleas gurgle."

I'll redirect your attack towards the other clawfoot, but in the fray landing any hit is difficult. As Sam and Georg lay dying, the clawfoot slashes at tom, who dodges. Petr tries vainly to shoot the beast. Tom drops to his knees next to Georg and rummages in his pack for a potion.

Manwhoisthisman
2013-12-10, 09:41 AM
Depending on current positioning, I'll take the less risky maneuver:
(1) Move between Tom and the clawfoot and strike at the clawfoot, or
(2) Move in behind the remaining clawfoot and strike to distract it from Tom.

If (1) doesn't provoke an AoO, I'll go with that, otherwise I'll go with (2).

[roll0] [roll1]

madtinker
2013-12-10, 10:46 AM
You take position behind the creature to distract it from attacking Tom. Your spear thrust finally hits square, penetrating skin and muscle. Blood gushes from the wound and the clawfoot convulses in the throes of death.

Manwhoisthisman
2013-12-11, 09:51 AM
I'll now aid Tom in finding some potions and administering them. "Are things always like this on tree felling expeditions?"

madtinker
2013-12-11, 10:20 AM
Tom ignores your question and hands you a small vial. "Get Sam to drink this." He tips the contents of a similar vial into Georg's lips. The flow of blood from his abdomen miraculously halts, but it is obvious the man is still in a very bad way. Petr rushes to his brother's side, checking for a pulse.

The working men and Gunnison gather around, shaking their heads.

Manwhoisthisman
2013-12-11, 10:31 AM
I'll move over to administer potion to Sam and then check his vitals etc.
[roll0]

madtinker
2013-12-11, 10:50 AM
Sam's eyes flutter open and he grins weakly. "I got a scar of my own huh?"

His pulse is rapid and weak.

Manwhoisthisman
2013-12-11, 03:08 PM
I give Sam a brief grin, "You sure did." I then turn to Tom, "I think Sam's going to be alright as long as we don't get assaulted again." I then take a moment to look around to see if there are any other threats looming nearby.

madtinker
2013-12-11, 05:43 PM
Tom nods briefly while holding his ear over Georg's mouth, apparently listening for breath.

You don't see anything else nearby. The oxen have calmed down some, thanks to the efforts of one of the workmen. The other man and Gunnison have begun limbing the tree.

Manwhoisthisman
2013-12-12, 09:17 AM
I look around lamely, feeling rather useless at the moment. After a little while of watching Sam, Georg, Tom and Petr I'll try to resume some manner of watch post so that I feel slightly less useless.

OOC: You're getting quite good at the character drawing, you're half-orc looks pretty spiffy!

madtinker
2013-12-12, 09:28 AM
OOC: Thanks! I've had this one on the back burner for some time. If Keiji needs an art upgrade, I'll probably have time over Christmas, so let me know.

After a few tense minutes Tom announces, "He'll live. We'll get him back to Father Feodor as soon as we hit town. Sam, stay here with Georg. Petr, Let's keep our eyes peeled. Never seen this many gorram clawfoots so close to town."

Manwhoisthisman
2013-12-13, 10:48 AM
Tobias nods, "Yeah, I imagine we don't usually give them smoke signals to follow... Sorry about that." Tobias continues to mumble something about seeming like a good idea at the time and probably should have taken a different tree.

madtinker
2013-12-14, 03:21 PM
"if anything, the fire should have scared them away," Petr offers.

OOC: take 270 XP

Manwhoisthisman
2013-12-16, 07:18 AM
"I think fire'll scare the glidewings, but I'm beginning to think that there is more to the clawfoots. Has anyone ever claimed to have seen them using weapons?"

Hope it is ok, but I plan to track highly changeable numbers in thread instead of on the character sheet.
HP: 5
XP: 730

madtinker
2013-12-16, 12:02 PM
"You mean besides the giant claws on their feet? No, and I'm awful glad of it."

Manwhoisthisman
2013-12-17, 11:30 PM
I nod, "True enough, is the tree almost ready to go?"

madtinker
2013-12-18, 09:44 AM
Petr glances around. As you do the same, you see that most of the tree's limbs have been removed. You also note that the glidewing nest lies in ruins, with runny yellow and red goo dripping from the tangle of branches and leaves.

"Looks like it."

Manwhoisthisman
2013-12-23, 08:57 PM
"Hmm, probably should have just picked a different tree."

madtinker
2013-12-23, 10:21 PM
Petr and the others who can hear you nod, but one of the workmen snorts derisively.

After the limbs are removed, the workmen maneuver the wagon and winch up the log, using a heavy block and tackle.

By the time the log is loaded and the ox team readied (the dead ox was quartered for hauling home), Georg's eyes flutter open. He is loaded on the wagon beside Gunnison. Tom glances around one last time, and calls out "Ready to move out?"

Manwhoisthisman
2013-12-25, 09:46 PM
"Yessir," I say quickly with a nod.

Merry Christmas!

madtinker
2013-12-25, 10:55 PM
You arrive at the stockade wall close to sunset without seeing any other signs of aggressive beasties. Tom pulls out a rope and grappling hook from his pack and expertly snags the top of the wall. Offering you the rolled-up rope ladder from his pack, "Care to take a climb?"

And Merry Christmas to ya'll as well.

Manwhoisthisman
2013-12-28, 09:31 AM
I nod, take the rope ladder and secure it to my pack, and then climb up the rope.

[roll0]

OOC: We're packing this morning and heading out this afternoon. So I expect we'll arrive late tomorrow morning or early tomorrow afternoon.

madtinker
2013-12-28, 01:51 PM
You scale the knotted rope with little trouble. At the top you see an iron hook you didn't notice before for anchoring the rope ladder.

Manwhoisthisman
2013-12-30, 10:49 AM
I anchor the rope ladder and turn to Tom and give him a thumbs up. I then watch for any critters coming as everyone climbs up.

madtinker
2013-12-30, 12:03 PM
A little over half mile away you see something like a clawfoot, but so huge that his head reach the lower branches of the ironwood trees.

Manwhoisthisman
2013-12-30, 12:15 PM
"Look sharp everyone, it looks like there's a huge clawfoot about a half mile out." While saying that I point in the direction of the clawfoot. I then look around to see if there is anyone around within the wall and shout, "Get the archers over here and ready!"

madtinker
2013-12-30, 01:12 PM
Tom glances around wildly. "Has he seen us?" he shouts, the ever-present lollipop falling out of his mouth. Without waiting for a reply, he orders, "Up the ladder everyone!"

You see a contingent of hunters hustling from town towards you, but they are still several hundred yards away.

Manwhoisthisman
2013-12-31, 09:42 AM
"Gunnison, you and your men best make your way up here too! Leave the oxen and the wood for now, I don't think we have time to get the gate open and closed again."

OOC: It's times like this that I wish my 'matter agitation' had longer range.

madtinker
2013-12-31, 12:29 PM
The men scramble towards the ladder, but Petr hangs back. "What about Georg?!"

OOC: Does any spell have a half-mile range?

Manwhoisthisman
2013-12-31, 01:23 PM
"Petr, can you carry Georg to the ladder? Someone help them over to the ladder!" I bark out without waiting for a response from Petr. "You'll need to be the last up but I think we'll have enough hands to hoist the ladder up with the two of you on it. You'll need to be able to hold fast to both Georg and the ladder, can you do that?"

OOC: Helping hand has a range of 5 miles. I don't think anything low level and damaging has that kind of range though. http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=222942

madtinker
2013-12-31, 02:18 PM
Sam jumps to Petr's aid, grabbing Georg's feet while Petr carries his shoulders.

The huge creature has apparently noticed you, as a roar echoes over the plain and he begins to charge.

Manwhoisthisman
2014-01-02, 02:04 PM
How tall is the stockade I'm standing on? I'm guessing that tree-top height means that he is going to be able to reach over the stockade, is that accurate (insofar as I can judge size from this distance)? Is there anything else taller nearby?

madtinker
2014-01-02, 02:50 PM
The stockade is about 30 feet tall, and his head reaches the lower branches, making him about the same height as the stockade from the inside/ recall that there is a ditch around the outside of the stockade, so the beast probably won't be able to reach the top. There isn't anything else as tall as the stockade nearby.

Another roar follows the first, this time noticeably louder.

Manwhoisthisman
2014-01-06, 09:56 AM
Ok, I imagine this thing is charging rather quickly, but it'll still be a few minutes. If it looks like everyone is going to make it up the ladder I'll just for the giant beasty to get closer.

madtinker
2014-01-06, 11:01 AM
Sam and Petr stagger towards the ladder. Sam scurries up while Petr warps himself and his brother in the rope. Craning his neck, Petr cries "Pull!"

By this time, the beast has closed about a third of the distance.

Manwhoisthisman
2014-01-06, 01:05 PM
I start hoisting the ladder up, and wave some others who've recently climbed up to do so as well.

madtinker
2014-01-06, 01:27 PM
You by yourself are unable to lift the combined weight of the two brothers. By enlisting the help of Sam and one of Gunnison's helpers, you are able to inch the two brothers towards safety.

After half a minute, they are in reach of the top, but Petr has no free hands to lift himself and his brother over the edge.

The huge beast is close enough you can hear the swooshing sound of his feet flying over the tall grass.

Manwhoisthisman
2014-01-06, 01:50 PM
"Sam, we'll hold the rope, you try to hoist Georg up. That thing's getting mighty close."

I'll hold to the rope with Gunnison's man, that should be enough to keep it from sliding back down, especially once Georg's weight is in Sam's arms. Have any of the archers made it up? I imagine it should be in range of them by now if any of them have made it up onto the stockade.

Also, read the Whatif.xkcd on size and happened across this, thought it would be worth sharing: http://irl.cs.ucla.edu/papers/right-size.html

madtinker
2014-01-06, 11:48 PM
Sam grabs Georg under the arms as petr unwinds the rope. With a heave, Sam and Georg fall on the platform inside the palisade. The beast is two hundred yards away and closing fast. The other hunters are almost there.

Edit: that was actually helpful for what is going to happen next. And, if an elephant needs so much more energy, why is its digestive system so inefficient?

Manwhoisthisman
2014-01-07, 09:58 AM
Ok, now that it is getting quite close, what does this thing look like? A giant clawfoot, but a vertical build like the smaller ones, or a horizontal build like most large dinosaurs?

I help Petr up and then pull out my spear, and prepare to manifest a power when it gets within 30 feet.

madtinker
2014-01-07, 02:19 PM
Petr falls onto the platform, scrambling to free himself from the rope. The others ready their weapons.

As the thing gets closer you can see that he is similar to a clawfoot only in general shape: a bipedal dinosaur with a long tail for balance. His head is huge and boxy, with teeth as long as your head. You don't see a razor claw like clawfoots have, and it only has vestigial forearms. As the other hunters begin taking their places on the catwalk, you hear mutterings of "Pelor save us" and "what in the unholy darkness..."

A few hunters begin loosing arrows, but they do little to slow the beast. He's just a few strides from the palisade (within 30 ft).

Manwhoisthisman
2014-01-07, 04:17 PM
The sound of small waves softly lapping on a shore fills the nearby air as I focus on filling the dinosaur's mind with an attraction (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/attraction.htm) to a nice quite lake.
(will save DC 13)

HP 5 | PP 11 | XP 730

madtinker
2014-01-07, 06:51 PM
Time seems to stand still, but only for a moment. The huge predator flicks his head ever so slightly and continues his charge.With a sickening crunch of wood the animal throws himself against the wall. The platform lurches beneath your feet. A man on your left overbalances trying to compensate and falls backwards over the rail. You manage to keep your footing, and can clearly see several large, bleeding punctures on the beast's front.

A thundering roar of pain shakes the earth.

Undaunted, Tom stabs at the animal's face, trying to drive it away from the wall.

Manwhoisthisman
2014-01-08, 10:33 AM
Could I get a wilderness lore or sense motive roll? I'm thinking, "That seems very unnatural, perhaps I was not the first to attempt to charm the beast."

Meanswhile -- as I'm not sure what I'd do even if I did know it was under some compulsion -- I'll go ahead an start the slow cooking process. A low sizzling sound fills the air and waves of heat are briefly visible, though not felt, as I focus my concentration on the dinosaur again.

Manifest matter agitation (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/matterAgitation.htm), dino takes 1 point of damage this turn, 1d4 next turn, and then 1d6 every turn until it leaves, gives up the ghost, or makes me concentrate on something else.HP 5 | PP 10 | XP 730
Also, you should ready yesterday's whatif.xkcd -- totally fitting!

madtinker
2014-01-08, 10:41 PM
The beast seems entirely out of his element. The dark green of his skin doesn't match local flora: something must have displaced him from his normal range.

He lunges at the wall, jaws snapping shut inches from the torso of one of the hunters. Tom continues his efforts to stab him, and more arrows fly, embedding in thick skin.

Ooc:we have guessed a lot more about tyrannosaurus than I would ever have guessed.

Manwhoisthisman
2014-01-09, 10:12 AM
♫ Cook, cook, cook the tyrannosaur ♫ [roll0]

madtinker
2014-01-09, 10:46 AM
OOC: :smallbiggrin:

He roars in rage and pain, and you see two more puncture wounds from the wall spikes. Turning his back on the wall, he snatches one of the petrified oxen from the wagon harness, dicing the body with one bite.

Manwhoisthisman
2014-01-09, 04:47 PM
Great, lets keep cooking 'til he's gone (or at least 30 feet away, strangely).[roll0]

madtinker
2014-01-09, 04:58 PM
Tom calls a halt to the archers, afraid of provoking the beast into another attack. After downing another ox, he grabs a third in his jaws and turns his back on the palisade, trailing blood as he limps toward the jungle.

Manwhoisthisman
2014-01-10, 10:11 AM
"I think our little town has made enemies today, Tom. That beast looked very out of place, even for the forest."

madtinker
2014-01-10, 11:15 AM
Tom looks around to survey his men. "Help that man!" pointing to the now-unconscious hunter that fell from the wall. Turning back to you, "You may be right Tobias. I've never seen the like. Thank Pelor we were close enough to the palisade." He pauses to unwrap a lollipop, and men begin clambering down from the catwalk. "Now, let's get him (indicating Georg) down and to Father Feodor before some other beastie happens along."

Manwhoisthisman
2014-01-10, 04:49 PM
"Yeah, it is miraculous that we've only lost several oxen," I say before walking over to help up Sam and Georg (assuming they're not already up), and assist them getting Georg safely down from the catwalk.

madtinker
2014-01-10, 05:49 PM
Between the three of you you manage to maneuver Georg down the ladder. Tom follows you after giving the horizon a long look around under the light of the setting sun.

At the bottom, Gunnison meets him. "When will we retrieve the wagon and oxen?"

"Not today." The grim look and terse answer intimidate the portly carpenter into silence, but he is clearly agitated as you start the walk back to town.

Manwhoisthisman
2014-01-12, 04:32 PM
"Sam, you go on ahead, I'll catch up. Tom, do you have a minute?" I ask while moving away from Gunnison.

madtinker
2014-01-12, 04:45 PM
Unwrapping another lollipop, Tom falls in step beside you. "What's on your mind?"

Manwhoisthisman
2014-01-12, 04:51 PM
Speaking in hushed tones, "I think it might be better to let Gunnison or some of his men get any oxen left out there. They might attract predators if they stay out, and he needs to find out his headcount sooner or later because he can't haul the wood with whats left out there."

madtinker
2014-01-12, 05:34 PM
"yes, but if the gate is opened and that beast returns we may never close it in time. I can't risk letting that thing inside the fence."

Manwhoisthisman
2014-01-12, 05:54 PM
I nod, "Yeah, you're right. Thanks for taking care of us today Tom."

madtinker
2014-01-12, 06:12 PM
Tom chuckles. "it was a bit of a mess out there, wasn't it?"

Manwhoisthisman
2014-01-12, 06:18 PM
I grin and give a nod, "Sure was, but everyone made it back, well, except for the oxen, so it was better than it could've been by a lot. Plus, you know, there'll be stories about you repelling the giant beast, so it wasn't all bad."

madtinker
2014-01-12, 06:46 PM
"and, the craftsmen won't grumble so much at paying our room and board with that monster on the loose."

After a pause, he adds, "what were you saying earlier about enemies?

Manwhoisthisman
2014-01-12, 09:06 PM
"That beast, it seemed so out of place. It wasn't the right color to even come from this forest around here -- and it wasn't right. Wouldn't a beast like that normally go for the oxen first? And probably wouldn't charge over open plain and into a wall. It may have been under some spell or compulsion -- perhaps I'll speak with Father Feodor about that -- but who could do that that doesn't live here? And who would that does is a worse question."

madtinker
2014-01-12, 11:38 PM
"now, we may not all get along here in New San Angrial, but no one would set that beast on any folk here. Then again... But that isn't my place to explain."

Manwhoisthisman
2014-01-13, 01:15 PM
"What do you mean, to explain what?"

madtinker
2014-01-13, 02:47 PM
Looking uneasy, Tom glances around, then says in a whisper, "Well, you've heard of the Lost Ones? People who have left New San-Angrial and never returned?"

Manwhoisthisman
2014-01-13, 10:13 PM
I look curiously at Tom. "Well sure, but aren't those mostly tales to keep kids from exploring outside the walls?" I ask and then quickly add, "And for good reason from what I've seen today."

madtinker
2014-01-13, 11:13 PM
"well, i'll just say that those stories might have more truth to them than you think."

At this point Sam calls back, "Hey Tobias, we've been trying to decide what to call that thing. What do you think of Thunder Lizard?"

Ooc: also, take 200 XP for the encounter with the thunder lizard (there were a lot of others there to share XP with).

Manwhoisthisman
2014-01-14, 09:51 AM
"That's surely something to think about," I say to Tom as I turn to catch up with Sam. "Thunder Lizard matches that roaring, but it doesn't touch how huge it was. What about a Giant Razor-tooth?"
HP 5 | PP 10 | XP 930

madtinker
2014-01-14, 10:32 AM
"Hhm, good point. I could go with that, if you helped carry Georg. This boy eats his porridge."

Petr grunts in amusement. "Want me to tell him that when he wakes up Sam?"

"Um, maybe we'll just keep that comment to ourselves?"

Manwhoisthisman
2014-01-14, 05:28 PM
"Oh, right," I say absently and move in to shoulder some of the weight. "Either way, I'm glad we can't call it a Wallbreaker."

madtinker
2014-01-14, 05:41 PM
"Too true! Hey, isn't that your pa?" On the path ahead you see a stout man in a leather apron and greying hair hurrying towards your group of hunters.

Manwhoisthisman
2014-01-14, 08:31 PM
"Ah, yeah, that's him. Hey! Da'! Everyone's made it back in one piece, but we've got one that needs to see Father Feodor, have you seen him about?"

madtinker
2014-01-14, 08:46 PM
Your father trots up, obviously relieved to see you in one piece. "He's on his way, wasn't a minute behind me. Is that bo bad hurt?"

Manwhoisthisman
2014-01-15, 09:22 AM
"He's through the worst of it now, I think, but he's still a bit weak."

madtinker
2014-01-15, 09:58 AM
"and you and Sam both look like you took a thrashing. What happened out there?"

Manwhoisthisman
2014-01-15, 10:14 AM
"A couple of glindwings and a couple of clawfoots took exception to the tree felling. Not together, thank heavens. Tom took care of us pretty well though... well, well enough anyway."

madtinker
2014-01-15, 10:40 AM
Sam chimes in with, "Plus a giant razor tooth!"

At your father's confused look, Tom explains "We were attacked by a beast I've never seen before, but your son aquited himself well all around. You can be proud of him, Jonas."

Your father nods and smiles. "I should have known he wouldn't stick to candle wax for long."

Manwhoisthisman
2014-01-15, 10:48 AM
"Actually da', I used some of that today too."

madtinker
2014-01-15, 11:14 AM
"Did you now? this I have to hear. What good can candle wax do against a clawfoot?"

Manwhoisthisman
2014-01-15, 11:30 AM
"Against a clawfoot, not that much, but under a green shrub it can smoke out a glidewing."

madtinker
2014-01-15, 11:50 AM
"Ah ha! clever boy."

He's about to say more, but Father Feodor rushes up to Georg. Touching him with one hand, holding his sundisk in the other, he mumbles a prayer. Georg's eyes flutter open. "You can put him down, he should be able to stand. Was anybody else hurt?"

Manwhoisthisman
2014-01-15, 01:11 PM
I ramble, "Yeah, Sam and I both got hit a little, but we're alright. I didn't really look at Tom, he seemed fighting fit but I'm sure he also got some scrapes. Petr, I haven't even thought to ask, how are you?"

madtinker
2014-01-15, 01:27 PM
Tom cuts you off with "A man fell from the palisade catwalk. He's back there, still unconscious I think."

"I'll fix you boys up after I see to him." He bustles off toward the rear of your little column.

"I'm alright Tobias, just glad I don't have to carry this sad sack (jerking his thumb at his brother) the rest of the way to the village."

Georg, on his own feet for the first time in several hours, glances around. "Glad to see you too. What happened?"

Petr answers, "You were mauled by a clawfoot. I thought you were a goner, but Tom gave you one of the Father's potions. And then a giant razortooth attacked the palisade wall."

Georg processes this all for a second and asks, "What's a giant razortooth?"

Manwhoisthisman
2014-01-15, 01:42 PM
I shoot Sam a grin and add in, "You know, a thunder lizard. Big scaly thing, little arms."

madtinker
2014-01-15, 04:01 PM
Sam holds his elbows to his side and jumps at Georg, fingers crooked to represent claws. "Rawr! Kind of like this, only as tall as the wall and teeth as long as daggers. You've never seen one?"

Manwhoisthisman
2014-01-16, 09:49 AM
I chuckle, "Ok, but really I don't think you missed too much."

madtinker
2014-01-16, 10:18 AM
Father Feodor returns. "I see you both were injured. Let Pelor ease your pain."

"Thank you Father," mumbles Sam.

Father Feodor obliges him by casting another spell of healing. Color returns to Sam's face, and for the first time since the clawfoot attack he looks like himself.

"And you Tobias?"

Manwhoisthisman
2014-01-16, 10:26 AM
"Yes, thank you Father."

madtinker
2014-01-16, 10:34 AM
Again the muttered prayer. You feel all trace of soreness and pain evaporate as you recover [roll0] hp.

"Take better care of each other," the priest entreats, then he falls back to speak with Tom.

Your father slaps you heartily on the back. "Well, we best hurry along. Your mother was in a state when we found put where you'd gone. Best head back and put her worries to rest."

Manwhoisthisman
2014-01-16, 11:21 AM
I nod, "Yes, we had better."

madtinker
2014-01-16, 11:47 AM
You both trot ahead of the main group and in a few minutes are in town. Climbing through the main street you arrive home just as the last light of twilight fades.

Entering the candle shop you head up the stairs to the family living quarters, where you mother has dinner waiting for the two of you. As you open the door, your mother looks up and smiles. "Thank Pelor you're safe!"

Manwhoisthisman
2014-01-16, 02:03 PM
"Yeah, of course, mom," after a brief pause to whiff the air, "Smells good, what's for dinner?"

madtinker
2014-01-16, 02:26 PM
"Clawfoot chili. You go wash up. Devian and Loren will be here soon, and you can tell us all about the world outside."

(Devian is your oldest brother, and his wife is Loren. They have two kids, Igor and Sasha. He is set to inherit the candleshop but they live in their own house down the hill until your father is ready to retire.)

Manwhoisthisman
2014-01-16, 04:39 PM
After some thought, I think this is one for the dice to decide. [roll0]

I look visibly ill at the thought of eating clawfoot.

madtinker
2014-01-16, 05:15 PM
Concerned, your mother asks, "Are you sure you're alright? Perhaps you should lie down?"

Manwhoisthisman
2014-01-16, 05:40 PM
"Sorry, I guess I just got more tired today than I thought. Get me up when Devian gets here?"

madtinker
2014-01-16, 05:52 PM
"Oh that's too bad. I'll just..."

At that moment you here familiar footsteps coming up the stairs. The kids make it up first, full of energy and ready to play with their favorite uncle.

Manwhoisthisman
2014-01-19, 04:58 PM
"Sasha! Igor! How are you today?"

madtinker
2014-01-19, 09:57 PM
their high pitched voices chime together, "Good."

"papa said you went outside the wall."

"was is scawwy?"

Manwhoisthisman
2014-01-20, 09:41 AM
"It was scary, but we're safe here inside the wall."

madtinker
2014-01-20, 11:07 AM
"mama says if we go outside the wall the beasties will eat us up!"

"Is that what I say?" a plump, dark haired woman asks as she reaches the too of the stairs. "what ideas are you filling their heads with this time Tobias?"

Manwhoisthisman
2014-01-20, 12:50 PM
"Today, the same as you; outside the wall is dangerous."

madtinker
2014-01-20, 01:50 PM
"What happened out there today? We just saw a whole group of hunters coming into town."

Manwhoisthisman
2014-01-21, 09:55 AM
"A... larger than usual clawfoot came up to the wall. It probably smelled the crew of oxen. Anyway, everyone was able to get inside the wall and the archers managed to convince it to leave."

madtinker
2014-01-21, 10:36 AM
"How much larger?" Devian has finally made it up the stairs. "Some of those men looked like they had been struck dumb by Pelor himself."

OOCWe can fast-forward through family dinner, etc. if you like. No rush though; this background stuff is cool.

Manwhoisthisman
2014-01-22, 01:05 PM
"It was big, almost as tall as the wall if you can believe that."
I think this is the most I've gotten to really roleplay in a play-by-post game. I'm usually not very good/into the roleplaying in person, but I have been enjoying this very much and I think it really fleshes the character out.

madtinker
2014-01-22, 04:22 PM
Devian whistles through his teeth while the others gasp in surprise.

"Wow. Thank Pelor the wall held." a pause. "It did hold, right?"

OOCoh good, I felt the same way.

Manwhoisthisman
2014-01-23, 04:03 PM
"It did. I'm sure you'd have seen a lot fewer hunters walking back if it hadn't." I wave my hands a bit dismissively, "But enough about that for now, there's dinner to be had. Anything interesting happen here while I was out?"

madtinker
2014-01-23, 04:09 PM
Everyone murmurs, in semi-unison. "Thank the light."

Sasha tugs on your hand, "I have a loose toof!" she exclaims excitedly while wiggling one of her cuspids.

"Sasha, it's rude to talk with your hand in your mouth," Loren reminds her.

"And Ivan pushed me when we were playing, and I fell down and tore my pants," interrupts Igor, showing a scabbed-over knee and shredded pants.

Manwhoisthisman
2014-01-23, 09:46 PM
I chuckle some. "Hey, that's a good one." I say to Igor, and then turning to my mom, "Mom, do we have an apple for Sasha? That always used to work with me."

madtinker
2014-01-24, 12:27 AM
"after we eat i'll look for one. Now come on everyone, the chili's getting chilly."

Laughing at her own joke, your mother sits next to your father at the head of the table.

Manwhoisthisman
2014-01-24, 02:07 PM
I also chuckle at the pun and take a seat at the table, much better prepared to eat clawfoot this time.

madtinker
2014-01-24, 02:17 PM
The others take their places as well, and the steaming chili is passed around with fresh bread. It's a hearty meal, and at the smell of home cooking you remember that you haven't actually eaten all day. Spoons busily move food from bowls to mouths; your father is the first to speak.

"So, Tobias, does your adventure today mean you'll be joining the hunters?"

Manwhoisthisman
2014-01-24, 11:38 PM
After getting a good start in on the chili myself, I answer, "I'm not sure. I learned a lot today, but I'm not sure I'd be happy with it... I dunno, what do you think?"

madtinker
2014-01-25, 12:10 AM
"You need something more exciting than tapers Tobias. Tom seems to think you'd make a fine hunter. I just want to see you doing something you enjoy, and I know it won't be candles."

Your mother glares at him. "Jonas, don't encourage him. Couldn't you arrange an apprenticeship with one of the other craftsmen?"

Manwhoisthisman
2014-01-27, 09:54 AM
"Probably, I've done enough errands around town that most folks feel I'm useful enough. Maybe I should talk with Father Feodor about it."

madtinker
2014-01-27, 11:22 AM
Your mother seems to like that idea a lot better. "He is on the council, he would know what we will be needing in the next few years."

Your father nods. "A fine place to start. Anyway, you're probably too old for an apprenticeship."

Devian joins the discussion. "You could become a coppersmith. I've had a few ideas on how to make candles more visually appealing. I just need someone who can work in metal."

Manwhoisthisman
2014-01-27, 03:28 PM
I chuckle softly, "You're always coming up with ways to make candles new. That's good though. I still think that if you perfected your clock candles you could convince Father Feodor to use them for evening services."

madtinker
2014-01-27, 04:14 PM
"I'm still waiting on Pyotr the tinsmith to make my molds, and I need a better parting compound that doesn't mix with the wax. I'm almost there you know."

"When did he say he'd have those new molds?"

"He's having trouble getting them round. Said the trouble was in the long solder joint. I may have to settle for a much shorter candle. And then there's the trouble that the drippings of the upper half will change the burn time of the lower half. That's why the reverse taper is so important. But my calculations show that you will be able to accurately tell time to the nearest quarter hour for ten hours or more."

Your father nods proudly. "You'll keep this place in business for years to come Devian."

Loren snorts into her chili. "For all his talk of candles, he had better. Can you imagine Devian as a miner?"

Manwhoisthisman
2014-01-30, 11:44 PM
"I can imagine him in a mine... selling candles." I say with a wry grin.

madtinker
2014-01-31, 09:40 AM
"miners need candles too. Especially need them, in fact, " Devian says defensively.

"now boys, that's enough. We're proud of both of you. And your brothers too, bless their hearts. Now Loren, help me clear the table so we can have some dessert."

Manwhoisthisman
2014-01-31, 02:15 PM
I'll hop up and help out as well.

madtinker
2014-01-31, 02:33 PM
The bowls are cleared quickly, and after a few minutes at the wash basin all is clean.

Your mother bends over the ice chest and pulls out a beautiful cream pudding topped with berries from the garden and slices of pear preserves.

"A double helping to Tobias and Loren for helping with the dishes," she announces while setting it on the table.

Manwhoisthisman
2014-01-31, 03:25 PM
Perfect! After I've gotten my dessert I'll try to sneak the extra bits to Igor and Sasha's bowls.

madtinker
2014-01-31, 05:20 PM
It's a delicious dessert, perfectly chilled and it melts in your mouth. It's too yummy to ruin with words, so it is eaten in silence except for your father's "Delicious as ever luv."

You're pretty sure your mother winked at you as you tipped the extras to your niece and nephew, but nobody says anything. Sasha and Igor excitedly gobble up your gift.

Manwhoisthisman
2014-02-01, 05:21 PM
I'll once again help with dishes when the dessert is done.

madtinker
2014-02-01, 06:02 PM
With the dishes cleared away your father reaches for his accordian case. "who's up for a tune?"

Manwhoisthisman
2014-02-01, 07:43 PM
I smile, I do enjoy watching dad play but, "I think I'll try to catch Father Feodor before it gets too much later. Don't let me put a damper on the fun though."

madtinker
2014-02-01, 10:08 PM
"I thought you were going to wait until morning," your mother protests.

Manwhoisthisman
2014-02-03, 10:47 AM
After a moment of thought I say, "Perhaps your right, it won't hurt to wait until morning."

OOC: Trying to find fun accordion music on pandora/grooveshark.

madtinker
2014-02-03, 11:19 AM
OOC: Try this one. (http://grooveshark.com/#!/s/Dance+Chastushki+s/3bcxdb?src=5)

"Oh good." Your father starts to play one of your family favorites. Sasha and Igor join in singing, Loren hums along, and even Devian is tapping his feet. Even though he plays wonderfully, your father's voice is off-key, and his jarring bass notes make everyone smile.

Manwhoisthisman
2014-02-04, 09:27 AM
I will also hum along until at one point I pick up Sasha and swing her in the air dancing.

madtinker
2014-02-04, 09:56 AM
Sasha's laugh turns into a scream of delight. Devian gets into the act too, hoisting Igor almost to the rafters. The mothers gasp and clap, still laughing.

After a few minutes the song ends and your father wipes tears of mirth from his eyes. "How 'bout a song, Mary?"

She looks hesitant.

Manwhoisthisman
2014-02-05, 09:59 AM
"Aw, come on mom," I encourage.

madtinker
2014-02-05, 11:13 AM
OOC: I really tried to find a woman accompanied by accordion music, but couldn't find any, so you'll have to use your imagination here (http://grooveshark.com/#!/s/Katyusha/4lf0FO?src=5).

Devian and Loren join in the begging, and and at last your mother gives in. She sings an old song from a forgotten language. You know it's something about a young woman pining for her lover, but the details are lost to living memory. Everyone joins in on the chorus, and when its over everyone claps loudly.

After a few more songs, Devian stands and announces that the children must be put to bed.

Manwhoisthisman
2014-02-06, 09:54 AM
I'll give Igor and Sasha a hug and a kiss and wish them goodnight, and give Devian a hug as well.

madtinker
2014-02-06, 10:18 AM
"What about me?" teases Loren.

"We'll go to the tinsmith's tomorrow to see about those molds." Your father calls down the stairs as they slip out.

He waits until your mother is out of earshot, and whispers, "Are you really okay my boy? You took quite the thrashing out there, if Sam is to be believed."

Manwhoisthisman
2014-02-06, 10:21 AM
I shake my head somberly and whisper in reply, "I don't think so, but it isn't the trashing, it was everything else. Do you think we could go on a walk in a little while?"

madtinker
2014-02-06, 10:33 AM
He nods soberly, then calls to your mother. "Oh luv, I just remembered something I was supposed to deliver. Tobias and I will be back in a bit."

"Can it wait until morning?"

"I'm afraid not, dear."

"Oh all right. I'll just work on my knitting I suppose."

You head down to the shop, where your father rummages around for a bit, then motions for you to follow him out the door.

"What's on your mind?"

Manwhoisthisman
2014-02-06, 03:09 PM
After I long sigh I say, "So much. Clawfoots seem... different than I thought, and the Thunder Lizard seemed so out of place and mechanical... and then Tom said there's more to Lost Ones than just tall tales. It's all so... strange."

madtinker
2014-02-06, 04:55 PM
Your father listens intently.

It's a warm night, and the crickets are singing merrily. When you finish, your father looks at you.

"And all that's set you on edge? What about it bothers you, specifically?"

Manwhoisthisman
2014-02-07, 04:35 PM
"Well, I guess I had mostly thought that we were safe here in San Angriel. I don't feel like I am anymore, and I feel like there is a lot more outside the walls than I used to."

madtinker
2014-02-07, 07:52 PM
Your father walks in silence with you for a few minutes.

"well, you were able to drive off the beasts. Father feodor healed the injured. Pelor has watched over us for over 200 years. Why should he stop?"

Manwhoisthisman
2014-02-11, 10:22 AM
I nod, "Ya know, I think that is what I needed to hear. Thanks dad."

madtinker
2014-02-11, 10:36 AM
In the dim starlight, your father smiles brightly.

"Glad to hear it. Now, perhaps we better get back before your mother gets too worried."

Manwhoisthisman
2014-02-12, 02:13 PM
"Yes, I agree. Home and rest sounds particularly good."

madtinker
2014-02-12, 02:27 PM
As you're about to open the shop door at home, you hear this sound (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYzWmKlZtrU) echoing from somewhere over the plain.

Manwhoisthisman
2014-02-13, 09:50 AM
I halt, a brief look of panic crosses my face, but is quickly gone. "Well, I guess that's my call. Tell mom... I dunno. I'll be safe."

madtinker
2014-02-13, 09:56 AM
Your father nods. "hadn't you better grab your gear?"

Manwhoisthisman
2014-02-13, 06:01 PM
I nod, "I suppose I ought to."

madtinker
2014-02-13, 09:59 PM
You gather your gear quickly and step out into the night.

Take 50 XP for roleplay.

Manwhoisthisman
2014-02-14, 03:28 PM
And run toward the plains where I heard the call.

HP 8 | PP 10 | 980 XP <- humorously 20 xp shy of a level

madtinker
2014-02-14, 04:51 PM
As you descend through the village, you see a squad of hunters led by Tom hustling toward the palisade.

you have to EARN your levels in this game. *evil DM laugh*

Manwhoisthisman
2014-02-18, 12:32 PM
I'll change my route to join in and run along toward the palisade.

madtinker
2014-02-18, 01:36 PM
You hear the sound again. After a ten second pause, you hear a similar sound, but much fainter and from a slightly different direction.

Manwhoisthisman
2014-02-18, 04:26 PM
"Tom, what's going on?"

madtinker
2014-02-18, 07:36 PM
Tom glances your way, seeing you for the first time. "Oh Tobias, glad to see you. I guess you heard that bugle. We're not sure what it is, but after that longtooth this afternoon, we're not going to let it get any closer."

Manwhoisthisman
2014-02-19, 10:36 AM
"Alright, lets go. Do I know anyone on tonight's watch?"

madtinker
2014-02-19, 10:43 AM
"Well, Sam was somewhere around here. He might have gone ahead."

At your elevated pace, it doesn't take long to reach the palisade. It's looming ahead of you.

Manwhoisthisman
2014-02-20, 11:20 PM
Is the gate closed and is the palisade in tact? (limited of course by my vision)

madtinker
2014-02-21, 09:10 AM
It's hard to be sure, but by the light of the moon and stars everything seems to be normal.

Manwhoisthisman
2014-02-25, 09:31 AM
OOC: Sorry, I totally thought I posted here last Friday.

I'll follow Tom's lead once we get to the Palisade.

madtinker
2014-02-25, 10:27 AM
With a few whispered orders, the men file up the ladder to the catwalk at the top of the wall. Looking out over the moonlit plain, you see a group of grotesque shadows ambling along the forest's edge. From the distance its hard to tell, but they look like eggs on legs, with some kind of tube coming out of what you assume is the head. there are about six of them. One rears on his hind legs and lets out one of the bugles you heard earlier. Again, after about ten seconds its answered by a much fainter call from somewhere to your right.

Tom has another lollipop in his mouth by this time. "Anyone ever seen one of those before?"

Manwhoisthisman
2014-02-25, 02:35 PM
"I sure haven't. Has anyone seen what they're calling to? Or what's responding?"

madtinker
2014-02-25, 02:42 PM
The men around you shake their heads. Tom has everyone stay on the wall, watching carefully.

From over on your left, you hear "Looks like they're just grazers."

Tom nods. "Looks like it. Wonder why we've never seen them around before."

Manwhoisthisman
2014-02-25, 05:00 PM
"Has anyone gone closer to get a better look at them?"

madtinker
2014-02-25, 06:16 PM
Tom turns to you. "Are you volunteering?"

Manwhoisthisman
2014-02-25, 08:18 PM
I shrug, "Yeah... I guess I am."

madtinker
2014-02-25, 09:23 PM
"Well, but you're a piece of work. Alright, where's that ladder. We'll be up here, if you get in trouble."

"you're not going anywhere without me!" Sam pushes through the crowded catwalk to where the two of you are standing.

Manwhoisthisman
2014-02-26, 05:06 PM
"Sam! good to see you're not sleeping through all the excitement."