PDA

View Full Version : Multi0Quoting Question

Ravens_cry
2013-11-05, 05:04 PM
I have a question that is a little open ended: why isn't multiquoting supported by default?
You can do it if you go and add the quotes in manually, so it works, but why if you quote a post with a quote doesn't it add the quote as well on its own?
I am not expecting this to change any time, as there is, I hope, a good reason, but I am curious as to what that reason is?

Mando Knight
2013-11-05, 05:07 PM
That's nested quotes, not multiquotes. The latter is already active. I don't know why automatic nested quotes aren't supported.

Keris
2013-11-05, 05:21 PM
Apparently stripping out nested quotes is standard vBulletin functionality. I would assume to avoid replies in a thread containing every reply to that thread so far. And particularly large quote pyramids can become screen stretching fairly quickly.

Though private messages will still nest quotes.

ChristianSt
2013-11-05, 06:01 PM
Possibly because it just can get really messy really quick and in discussions where there is a lot of stuff quoting, pretty much everyone needs to edit some quotes out or the the posts will get longer and longer (and after some level it doesn't do anything useful any more).

(But yeah, sometimes I would like to have that enabled (or be able to enable it for one post), if only to see the code of the quoted text)

I have a question that is a little open ended: why isn't multiquoting supported by default?
You can do it if you go and add the quotes in manually, so it works, but why if you quote a post with a quote doesn't it add the quote as well on its own?
I am not expecting this to change any time, as there is, I hope, a good reason, but I am curious as to what that reason is?

I am not expecting this to change any time, as there is, I hope, a good reason, but I am curious as to what that reason is? You can do it if you go and add the quotes in manually, so it works, but why if you quote a post with a quote doesn't it add the quote as well on its own?
All I added was one sentence!

Ravens_cry
2013-11-05, 06:16 PM
OK, yeah, I got the term wrong. I agree it can get messy. I am on another board that does allow it, and it most certainly can. Adding the option would be nice though. Perhaps a little check box next to the quote button with a modified version of the quote icon showing a nested quote inside? Like so: http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/3685/lbg.gif
How do you quote more than one person at once without manually copy and pasting them in by the way?

ChristianSt
2013-11-05, 08:04 PM
Simply use this button beside the quote button: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/images/buttons/multiquote_off.gif

Then on the last post you want to quote, just hit the quote button.

Ravens_cry
2013-11-05, 08:06 PM
Simply use this button beside the quote button: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/images/buttons/multiquote_off.gif

Then on the last post you want to quote, just hit the quote button.
The things thou dost learn. Thou hast my thanks. *doffs invisible hat*

Gadora
2013-11-05, 11:41 PM
The things thou dost learn. Thou hast my thanks. *doffs invisible hat*

That only stores so many posts at a time, though. I don't remember the limit though, off the top of my head.

Ravens_cry
2013-11-05, 11:43 PM
That only stores so many posts at a time, though. I don't remember the limit though, off the top of my head.
At some point, it's better to just list everyone's name you are replying to and reply that way.

AttilaTheGeek
2013-11-06, 06:31 AM
At some point, it's better to just list everyone's name you are replying to and reply that way.

It's true. You can use the multiquote button to reply easily to something in a different thread by clicking the multiquote button on the post you want to reference, then posting a regular reply in the thread you want to reference it in, and it'll ask you if you want to quote from the other thread. I use it mostly when making an OOC comment on something said IC in a play-by-post game.

happyturtle
2013-11-06, 07:20 AM

I believe it's ten. I had some reason once for quoting a ridiculous number of posts at once, and discovered it that way.

CarpeGuitarrem
2013-11-06, 10:42 AM
To be honest, I feel that this is often the better course, anyhow. A conversation which just consists of responding to a number of quotes is high on the "broken-down" scale. I try to use quotes sparingly if possible.

Cuthalion
2013-11-06, 04:30 PM
Pretty much only use it in RB.