PDA

View Full Version : Epic Spellcasting Seeds/Wards Questions

Ace Nex
2013-11-05, 06:14 PM
I have two questions really that the answers are eluding me. First, can you use epic seeds independently/without requiring being used as fuel for epic spells? A friend told me no, but on the Ward Seed description it says a seed of Destroy can remove it, which would imply that it could be cast by itself. It also says that seeds last for one day, which would imply they are their own things. I may be wrong, but I would like a definite answer.

Second and final question, is there a way to make yourself immune to all harmful spells but still affected by your helpful buffs and abilities? I was thinking the Ward Seed turned into a spell to make yourself immune to 0-10th level spells, but that creates a paradox. If you're immune to all of those spells, all your buffs should fall off, INCLUDING the Epic level Ward spell immunity spell right? Optimistic interpretation would make me think I would be immune to my own drawbacks but the spell would still persist, making me immune to harmful spells but immune to it's effect of disabling all my helpful spells as well... but I doubt that's how it's supposed to work. Other Playergrounders with more information in the matter would be most helpful and I eagerly await your clarity.

TuggyNE
2013-11-05, 06:30 PM
I have two questions really that the answers are eluding me. First, can you use epic seeds independently/without requiring being used as fuel for epic spells? A friend told me no, but on the Ward Seed description it says a seed of Destroy can remove it, which would imply that it could be cast by itself. It also says that seeds last for one day, which would imply they are their own things. I may be wrong, but I would like a definite answer.

No, you can't. When it refers to seeds or seed durations, it means spells created with those seeds, and the default duration for such spells.

Second and final question, is there a way to make yourself immune to all harmful spells but still affected by your helpful buffs and abilities? I was thinking the Ward Seed turned into a spell to make yourself immune to 0-10th level spells, but that creates a paradox. If you're immune to all of those spells, all your buffs should fall off, INCLUDING the Epic level Ward spell immunity spell right? Optimistic interpretation would make me think I would be immune to my own drawbacks but the spell would still persist, making me immune to harmful spells but immune to it's effect of disabling all my helpful spells as well... but I doubt that's how it's supposed to work. Other Playergrounders with more information in the matter would be most helpful and I eagerly await your clarity.

Epic spells aren't really tenth-level spells, so at least that doesn't make a difference. However, that's not the most efficient way to do things; instead, I'd suggest making a set of permanent immunities to each spell that can dispel or disjoin (there's about a dozen), and then using non-epic spells for most of your immunities (i.e., friendly fire to be immune to ranged attack, energy immunity, freedom of movement, foresight, mind blank, etc).

Chronos
2013-11-05, 06:35 PM
You can't cast a seed, only a spell made from a seed... But you can create a spell that just uses the seed and nothing else, which amounts to about the same thing. For example, the spell Epic Mage Armor (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/spells/epicMageArmor.htm) is nothing but the Armor seed, with no bells or whistles.

Vaz
2013-11-05, 06:41 PM
Seeds are not cast. They provide the core outlines of what the epic spell does, and how it interacts with one another.

For example, you want to make an epic spell; what do you want it to do? Say you want to be immune to damage; so we look up the Spell Seeds and find that the Ward Spell is the most applicable.

To develop the spell, you must pass a DC14 spellcraft check.

This DC14 spellcraft check provides one of the following.

1; Effectively DR5 to any 2 damage types (Bludgeon, Pierce, or Slash)
2; Effectively Energy Resist 5 against one of the five energy types (Acid, Cold, Electricity, Fire, or Sonic)
3; Provide an effect similar to a Magic Circle against X against a specific monster
4; Provide an effect similar to a Globe of Invulnerability but only against 1st level spells.

However, each ability can be further improved by increasing the spellcraft DC; for example, we want DR5/Slash to become DR100/-.

A Ward against each 3 types it's a +4, and each point of protection is +2 (so 100-5 = 95*2 = 190). THis means the DC is now 14+4+190, or 208.

However, you're in Epic. The game started getting completely and utterly broken beyond proper redemption by the time that 7th level spells came online, if not before (so level 13).

In other words, speak to your DM that what you want to achieve is X, this is what the rules say.

In your example, all 10th level and lower spells you want to nullify, with the exception of my own spells of choice. That exception is not written anywhere within the rules, but is your own invention, and is only going to be beneficial to yourself. This should make it harder. Hence; DC14 for the base effect (1st level exclusion) and +180 for the additional 9 levels of spells you want to block, so a DC of 194 before mitigation. The fact that you're wanting all of your own spells to be allowed, however, is ignoring the in built limitation of the seed; so perhaps half again the DC of allowing the spells; +97 gets you to 291.

Edit@ Tuggyne; I know what you're saying but the optimizer in me is screaming *not Permanent, use the Healing seed to make it Instantaneous*

Ace Nex
2013-11-05, 08:12 PM
Thanks all for the help, I'll keep looking things up thanks!

TuggyNE
2013-11-05, 08:57 PM
Edit@ Tuggyne; I know what you're saying but the optimizer in me is screaming *not Permanent, use the Healing seed to make it Instantaneous*

Not everyone's a divine caster, though!

Sith_Happens
2013-11-05, 09:53 PM
Not everyone's a divine caster, though!

Then use the energy seed and eat a few d6's of damage for casting your instantaneous buffs?

TuggyNE
2013-11-06, 12:58 AM
Then use the energy seed and eat a few d6's of damage for casting your instantaneous buffs?

Ingenious. Not sure how well it works, but eh.

(Of course, getting that spell approved would doubtless be extremely difficult, but, again, eh.)