PDA

View Full Version : Jack of all trades?

OldTrees1
2013-11-05, 06:54 PM
What are the various Jack of all trades/One man party options?

Goal: Playable ECL 6-13, At-Will abilities preferred over Limited use abilities.

Grod_The_Giant
2013-11-05, 07:04 PM
Human Factotum 1/Swordsage 19. Take Able Learner at first level. Trapfinding, plenty of skill points, all skills purchased as class skills, and the most versatile set of maneuvers out there. Factotum 3/Swordsage 17 also works, sacrificing maneuvers for better skillmonkeying.

Ninja 1 also grabs you trapfinding, and another Wis-to-AC that stacks with the Swordsage's by RAW... but you lose out on social skills and UMD.

Snowbluff
2013-11-05, 07:07 PM
Factotum 20

Beguiler 20, using feats to get spells that replace trapfinding.

Swordsage/Fact like above, but necropolitan with human heritage and Shadow Sun Ninja.

Divine Minion Factotum1+/Master of Many FormsX/Chameleon10

chaos_redefined
2013-11-05, 07:10 PM
I thought the general rule was even levels of dips for ToB. So, Factotum 2/Swordsage 18 or Factotum 4/Swordsage 16. (Alternatively Factotum 1/?? 1/Swordsage 18 or Factotum 3/?? 1/Swordsage 16).

In any case, I'd actually suggest Factotum 8/Warblade 12. You might need a level of warblade earlier than 9 to get through it, but you end up slighly less MAD as you don't need wisdom.

Ravens_cry
2013-11-05, 07:18 PM
Druid!
One's a smelly, furry creature from out of the wild. . . and the other is his animal companion.
They fight crime!
This summer. . . Things. Get. Wild Shaped.
*epic guitar riff with lightning, explosions and lightning explosions*

Menzath
2013-11-05, 07:20 PM
I always preferred Bard6?/Chameleon 10/bard 4.
And bard with bardic Knack works great with Jack of all trades, although it would work better as a pure bard, the spellcasting you get from chameleon more than makes up for +5 to all skills.
AFB and notes but over all this build tends to be the "One Man Party".

Ruethgar
2013-11-05, 11:32 PM
Wizard 20 b/c a wizard did it.

Cleric 20, guidance of the avatar is your friend young skill monkey.

18 STP Erudite, 2 Chameleon with Arcane Disciple and take Customize Domain as your floating feat. All of the spells of a wizard/cleric/druid/trapsmith plus infinite spells per day. Oh, and all at no material cost. Sure there are UPPD, but there has to be some limitation on power right? Guidance of the Avatar, Mental Pinnacle, Divine Might and you are set for a good number of things. Or just use [War] spells like the 4th level War Wall of Stone=instant fortress.

Master of Masks is a terrible jack of all trades class, but it is one.

JaronK
2013-11-05, 11:59 PM
The main classes for this are Binder, Factotum, Beguiler, Cloistered Cleric (with Kobold and Trickery domains to handle stealth and trapfinding), and Chameleon.

Archivists can definitely make it happen too.

As a wacky idea, consider Factotum 3/Unarmed Swordsage 1/Binder 1/Trapsmith 5/Chameleon 10. Do all the things!

JaronK

Uhtred
2013-11-06, 01:42 AM
As a BBEG I built a Doppelgänger Factotum/Chamelon with three Morphing weapons (Light, one-handed, and two-handed), and Glamered armor. Not only did she imitate the various fighting styles of everyone in the party, but she mimicked their weapons and armor, too. That was a fun fight, she almost TPK'd all by herself.

Bullet06320
2013-11-06, 02:46 AM
add leadership feat, bring a cohort with u that has whatever else u need, and a few followers to fill in the gaps

Mithril Leaf
2013-11-06, 02:54 AM
Psion (Telepath) 5, Thrallherd 10.:smallbiggrin:

Alternatively, Illithid Savant that eats a Greater Doppelganger's brain.

gorfnab
2013-11-06, 10:28 AM
Wildshape Mystic Ranger 10/ Master of Many Forms 10 with the feats Magical Training, Sword of the Arcane Order, and Wild Cohort

unseenmage
2013-11-06, 02:59 PM
add leadership feat, bring a cohort with u that has whatever else u need, and a few followers to fill in the gaps

Thrallherd. Just Thrallherd.

You completely and utterly command the actions of an entire army of minions, among them is guaranteed to be a full fledged adventuring party. Because if there isn't you just kill them and they'll be replaced a week later with new classes.

OldTrees1
2013-11-06, 05:07 PM
Great advise from everyone. I am thinking of going either

Build: Middle Aged Human Factotum 1 / Cloistered Cleric 7 (Planning, Undeath) / Barbarian 1 (Whirling Frenzy, Pounce) / Cleric +4
Feats: Able Learner, Combat Reflexes, Power Attack, Standstill, Extra Turning[B], Extend Spell[B],Knowledge Devotion[B], Persist Spell, Divine Metamagic (Persist Spell), Extra Rage, ?
Notes: Persisted Divine Power, Collar of Dark Template

or

Build: Middle Aged Human Factotum 1 / Bard 4 / Trapsmith 3 / Warblade 1 (WRT and IHS) / Trapsmith +2 / Barbarian 1 (Whirling Frenzy, Pounce) / Fighter 1
Feats: Able Learner, Combat Reflexes, Power Attack, Standstill, Touch of Healing, Knowledge Devotion, ?, Extra Rage, ?
Notes: Collar of Dark Template, Low level pearls of power grant high level spells.

Underlined are the feats taken up through ECL 8. (The character is meant for ECL 8 to ECL 13)

As you can see I have a few feat gaps during the ECL 8 - ECL 13 levels. What feats would you recommend?

With either Build I can get around 12 skillpoints/level (11/level for trapsmith since I expend skillpoints on prerequisites). By not maxing out skills I can spread these points across more skills. How much dilution is too much?