PDA

View Full Version : Would sneak attack apply to AoO

JW86
2013-11-05, 07:19 PM
I just had a thought.

My Assassin/Elocator focussed build has just gained the 'Flanker' Elocator class ability. Coupled with levels in Rogue/Assassin and Craven feat, he'll be dealing 18+5d6 bonus sneak attack damage per hit.

I just had the idea - what if he were to take feats (or psychic reformation) in some combat reflexes/expertise with karmic strike/robilar's gambit.

Would this mean, if a flanked enemy were to attack me, and I were to gain an AoO, that would count as a sneak attack as the enemy is technically flanked by me?

Because if so, that would be ruinously fun.:smallamused:

Or is there something I have missed?

Dusk Eclipse
2013-11-05, 07:25 PM
Yes, as long as the conditions for sneak attack are met any attack can deal SA.

tyckspoon
2013-11-05, 07:32 PM
I don't believe you can flank with yourself, but other than that, yes. Any attack made in Sneak Attack-compliant conditions lets you add Sneak Attack damage.

Ravens_cry
2013-11-05, 07:34 PM
Yes, if it otherwise would apply.

Devronq
2013-11-06, 09:17 AM
On a side not there is the sneak AoO feat that makes any AoO a sneak attack unfortunately its epic :/

Psyren
2013-11-06, 09:44 AM
Amusingly, the Occultist has a vestige that allows you to flank with yourself, and a second vestige that grants (a small amount of) SA.

EDIT: Two vestiges to flank with yourself, now that I think about it...

Big Fau
2013-11-06, 10:28 AM
@OP: Out of curiosity, did you use the Psychic Rogue or Psionic Assassin variants prior to taking Elocator levels?

JW86
2013-11-06, 11:48 AM
@OP: Out of curiosity, did you use the Psychic Rogue or Psionic Assassin variants prior to taking Elocator levels?

Being a newb only familiar/comfortable with SRD classes at the time, neither. Just Rogue 1/Assassin 8/Psion 5/Elocator 4.. :smallsigh:

This has bought something else to light, however. It seems I may have misread the 'Flanker' class feature of the Elocator.

When I first read it, I took it to mean that I could choose any square adjacent to myself to act 'as if' I had an ally there, therefore allowing me to singlehandedly 'flank' the opponent (I had in my mind the idea of levitating off of the ground, generally).

I take it I have the wrong idea,now.. which is a shame. Being a lone auto-sneak attacking badass with up to four sneak attacks of opportunity between rounds is so appealing.

Pleas explain the 'Flanker' feature - is it stating that I can choose any square adjacent to my own as my 'flanking' square, so that if THAT square combined with an ally 'flank' the opponent, then the flanking bonus is applied?

Fax Celestis
2013-11-06, 12:34 PM
I don't believe you can flank with yourself, but other than that, yes. Any attack made in Sneak Attack-compliant conditions lets you add Sneak Attack damage.

You can flank with yourself if you utilize Vexing Flanker + Adaptable Flanker (both in PHB-II).

HalfQuart
2013-11-06, 12:37 PM
I think the Flanker class feature just lets you pick a square that is adjacent to you that you can consider as the square you occupy when figuring flanking. You would still need an ally to flank with -- it just makes it easier, especially if the enemy is backed into a corner or something.

I think you can use Adaptable Flanker from PHB2 to flank with yourself if you have reach (against a Medium sized appointment, anyway). It lets you count as occupying any other square you threaten for determining flanking in addition to the square you really occupy. So if you can reach the opposite square you should be able to flank with yourself. And you'd get +4 to hit instead of the standard +2 since a prerequisite for Adaptable Flanker is Vexing Flanker. Even if that doesn't let you flank with yourself, you could certainly easily use it to flank with an ally.

And in ToB there's the Island of Blades Shadowhand stance that lets you count as flanking any creature that both you and an ally are adjacent to. To get this you could either dip Swordsage 1 or take the Martial Study and Martial Stance feats.

EDIT: D'oh, partially swordsaged by an ally in flanking position!

Psyren
2013-11-06, 12:41 PM
Pleas explain the 'Flanker' feature - is it stating that I can choose any square adjacent to my own as my 'flanking' square, so that if THAT square combined with an ally 'flank' the opponent, then the flanking bonus is applied?

Yes - basically it gives you more freedom as far as where you're considered to be standing when a flank is determined, so that you can benefit from flanks without putting yourself in harm's way or having to move around a lot.

For myself, I really like Elocater on Psychic Rogue even though it doesn't advance Sneak Attack. You still get a decent bit of bonus damage from Opportunistic Strike, you get to land more SAs than a regular rogue because you can flank from walls, and best of all you get discounted Dimension Door and Teleport to add to your powers known, making you the ultimate thief/secret agent.