PDA

View Full Version : Of the power of life: Lucerna [3.5 race] (Positive subtype here)

qwertyu63
2013-11-05, 08:59 PM
Lucerna:
Natives to the Plane of Positive Energy, these outsiders are made of positive energy.

Racial Traits:
+2 Constitution, -2 Strength
Outsider: Lucerna are not subject to spells or effects that affect humanoids only, such as charm person or dominate person.
Positive: Lucerna have the positive subtype. This doubles their magical healing, while exposing them to negative damage.
Medium: As Medium creatures, lucerna have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
Lucerna base land speed is 30 feet.
Loopback (Ex): Despite being outsiders, lucerna can be brought back from the dead as if they were not outsiders.
Spell-Like Abilities: 2/day—cure light wounds. Caster level 1st; save DC 10 + lucerna’s Cha modifier + spell level.
Automatic Languages: Common, Vitus. Bonus Languages: Abyssal, Aquan, Auran, Celestial, Ignan, Infernal, Terran.
Favored Class: Mender (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=310976).
Level Adjustment: +0

Aging: Lucerna grow up into adults and then stop, living forever. Lucerna age like elves for the first part of their life. Lucerna do age into their young adult age category, but they stop aging at a random point in it.

Appearance: Lucerna appear to be pale white skinned humans with slightly glowing pastel eyes and pastel hair. Despite the paleness of their skin, they are very lively in appearance. Their eyes and hair can be any pastel color, but the two never match.

Personality: A common phrase among lucerna is "Life is long, and regrets immortal" and this phrase describes most lucerna rather well. Lucerna feel that just as they live an infinity, so to do their memories. As a result, they often state what they feel sooner than most other races would and tend to take opportunities when they come, as they might never come again.

Half-lucerna:
Born of a mortal race and a lucerna, the half-lucerna retains its otherworldly parents liveliness, albeit not their endless life. They too can survive on the plane of positive energy.

"Half-lucerna" is an inherited template that can be added to any living, corporeal creature with an Intelligence score of 3 or higher (referred to hereafter as the base creature).

A half-lucerna uses all the base creature’s statistics and special abilities except as noted here.

Type:
The half-lucerna retains the base creature's type, but gains the Positive subtype.

Abilities:
Change from the base creature as follows: Str -2, Con +2.

Aging: Half-lucerna age slower than their mortal parent. To calculate the age categories of a half-lucerna, start with the age categories of their non-lucerna race. Increase the start point of each category by 20%.

Appearance: Half-lucerna tend to look mostly like their mortal race, but with paler colors. They retain the pastel, slightly glowing, eyes of the lucerna.

Personality: Half-lucerna tend to have personalities like their mortal race.

Positive Subtype:
A creature with the positive subtype heals twice as much when magically healed. It has vulnerability to negative energy, which means it takes half again as much (+50%) damage as normal from negative energy, regardless of whether a saving throw is allowed, or if the save is a success or failure. In addition, creatures with the positive subtype are immune to the effect of positive-dominant planes, including any hazards of the plane. They can also breathe the positive energy of positive-dominant planes as if it was air, if their creature type needs to.

Zaydos
2013-11-05, 09:02 PM
I like it. Going to add more fluff describing their society, personality, and appearance?

qwertyu63
2013-11-05, 09:03 PM
I like it. Going to add more fluff describing their society, personality, and appearance?

Yeah, I'm working on that. The crunch just comes out the easiest.

Zaydos
2013-11-05, 09:27 PM
Yeah, I'm working on that. The crunch just comes out the easiest.

I've been there. Look forward to seeing the fluff, though.

Overall I'm not sure what I'd do with them, except take advantage of the Outsider type with Alter Self, Polymorph, and qualifying for Abjurant Champion more easily. Though I do like the Positive subtype.

Though might use them for Sorcerers or for Wizards (just like dwarves).

qwertyu63
2013-11-06, 02:16 PM
I have some fluff made up, but there isn't enough to go to the main post. Here it is so far:

Appearance: Lucerna appear to be pale white skinned humans with glowing pastel eyes and pastel hair. Despite the paleness of their skin, they are very lively in appearance. Their eyes and hair can be any pastel color, but the two never match.

Society: TBD

Personality: A common phrase among Lucerna is "Life is long, and regrets immortal" and this phrase describes most Lucerna rather well. Lucerna understand that just as they live an infinity, so to do their memories. As a result, they often state what they feel sooner than most other races would.

qwertyu63
2013-11-13, 10:15 AM
I have dropped some fluff in the main post. I have also written up a template to allow people to play half-lucerna.