PDA

View Full Version : Hulk Smash!!!!

Ortesk
2013-11-05, 11:40 PM
So as a batant rip off im thinking of playing a bruce banner build. So far ive shored the levels up decently enough i think

Barb 1/Fighter 4/War Hulk 10/Insert Barb prestige 5

Using 3.0 feat Old Blood (Goliath) lets me get goliath barb sub level

So for my questions: What are good rage feats to make the beefiest, toughest monster known to man (And asgardians), and also what flaws would ol bruce have? I can see MPD as a flaw, basically hulk/bruce 2 different entities in the same body, also involuntary rage (I cant rage on my own accord, must be attacked/provoked) since bruce actually doesnt like going into hulk form and does his best not to. Basically, i want to rip off Hulk here and build the closest dnd will let me

Morithias
2013-11-05, 11:52 PM
Use the Berserker variant from the PHB2. You're in constant rage so long as you're below a certain amount of HP. It basically is involuntary rage.

Grod_The_Giant
2013-11-05, 11:53 PM
Power Attack. Duh. Lead into the Leap Attack/Shock Trooper combo for massive damage.
Knockdown-- if you deal 10 or more damage, get a free trip attempt.
Knockback-- if you hit a foe while power attacking, bull rush 'em.
Steadfast Determination-- use Con on Will saves.
Mad Foam Rager-- while raging, delay the effects of an attack or spell 1 turn.
Improved Unarmed Strike/Superior Unarmed Strike-- because since when does the Hulk use a weapon?

Frenzied Berserker is a strong PrC, and the "attack everyone" part fits the Hulk to a T. Also, might I recommend Hulking Hurler? Just don't take Overburdened Heave and the game shouldn't suffer too much. You get to be large while raging, thanks to Goliath racial substitution levels, so that should let you qualify and Really Throw Anything.

Kioras
2013-11-05, 11:56 PM
Frenzied Berserker is a strong PrC, and the "attack everyone" part fits the Hulk to a T. Also, might I recommend Hulking Hurler? Just don't take Overburdened Heave and the game shouldn't suffer too much. You get to be large while raging, thanks to Goliath racial substitution levels, so that should let you qualify and Really Throw Anything.

Hulking hurler fits the Hulk to a T, walk over and pitch and heave stone walls, small buildings, golems and random dragons into the enemies :D

Ortesk
2013-11-06, 12:02 AM
Power Attack. Duh. Lead into the Leap Attack/Shock Trooper combo for massive damage.
Knockdown-- if you deal 10 or more damage, get a free trip attempt.
Knockback-- if you hit a foe while power attacking, bull rush 'em.
Steadfast Determination-- use Con on Will saves.
Mad Foam Rager-- while raging, delay the effects of an attack or spell 1 turn.
Improved Unarmed Strike/Superior Unarmed Strike-- because since when does the Hulk use a weapon?

I really like the knockback idea, it fits Hulk very well since he would literally smack people and send them flying. And Imp UAS/Superior will be must haves, he will never use a weapon unless its basically pick up tree, throw tree, profit. I would go for leap attack, but at the same time i dont wanna break the game to bad with shock trooper. Of course i want hulk to look good and be a bad ass in regards to damage, but i dont want the fighter next to me saying why am i here. And i know the 2 rage feats which will put me to +10 will make me deal a good deal of damage and all, but a leap attacker would put others to shame and thats not what im after. Stead fast will work very well with frenzy beserker actually, since i can RP it bruce is forcing the big man to calm down

Red Rubber Band
2013-11-06, 12:08 AM
Try Eldariel's guide to being Bane (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105525)

Metahuman1
2013-11-06, 01:21 AM
I seem to recall a forgotten realms feat that gives 1.5 str mod to damage on unarmed attacks. Might be worth while.

Also, Put Force and healing properties on a necklace of natural weapons. Makes you much harder to kill cause your constantly getting HP back, and makes you Bypass DR so when you hit something they FEEL it.

Ortesk
2013-11-06, 01:23 AM
I seem to recall a forgotten realms feat that gives 1.5 str mod to damage on unarmed attacks. Might be worth while.

Also, Put Force and healing properties on a necklace of natural weapons. Makes you much harder to kill cause your constantly getting HP back, and makes you Bypass DR so when you hit something they FEEL it.

Wrathful healing is a staple for any melee build i make/ And any clue the feat name?

Also as a side note, does anyone know some hulk like ways of dealing with no armor

Metahuman1
2013-11-06, 01:40 AM
I recall something about hammers. Meteor Hammer or Hammer Fist or something of the sort.

I got 6 things for you.

2 Levels of DeepWarden. Why use Dex to AC when you can use Con.

1 level of Fist of the Forest does the same, and they stack.

Now let's talk Psionics. Get an animated Riverine Object and have it hit with reduce object to make it fine and designate itself as willing to be targeted with Shared Pain. Now invest a bit in a Psionics class and Manifest Shared Pain, and cut your damage in half.

Neat Trick, Get a Necklace of Natural Weapons, Have the Casters Keep Greater Magic weapon on it, and put the most expensive Crystal of Adamatine weaponry (MiC, Weapon Augmentation Crystals section.) you can afford on it. Now get a level of Monk. Hey, you now have Hardness, which is Like DR only better.

If You can get the too-hit bonus, take Stone Power and use it on top of Power Attack for Temp HP.

Last but not least, get a Psi-Crystal and either a recharge trick or a bunch of Manifester Arrows, and use it to manifest Vigor every round to add even more temp HP to your pool. Consider adding that linked power trick that give you additional actions so both you and the crystal can manifest every turn in combat with out loosing out on the action economy and double down on your results.

Should help you to shrug off the hits with the best of them.

blelliot
2013-11-06, 08:14 AM
Reckless Rage from Races of Stone would be a beautiful fit. Extra -2 AC for extra +2 Str and +2 Con while raging.

Big Fau
2013-11-06, 08:29 AM
Use the Berserker variant from the PHB2. You're in constant rage so long as you're below a certain amount of HP. It basically is involuntary rage.

That variant is garbage, especially if you multiclass out (since the HP threshold is 5*Barbarian level you'd only get Rage benefits while near-death). You also can't activate it voluntarily, which is one of the best benefits to Rage.

Doc_Maynot
2013-11-06, 08:50 AM
What book does Old Blood come out of?

Devronq
2013-11-06, 09:13 AM
The feat is called hammer fist and it grants 1.5 times str dam but unfortunately it is dwarf only... maybe you could convince the dm to wave that part of the requirement? I mean its not amazing but probably worth taking if you don't have other more important things to take.

Karnith
2013-11-06, 09:27 AM
What book does Old Blood come out of?
It's from Bastards & Bloodlines, a third-party splatbook.

Zonugal
2013-11-06, 07:47 PM
Take a look at Involuntary Rage and Pain Mastery, both found in Savage Species.

Also, I have a spell-casting build that can also do some Hulking out if you interested in capturing more of a Bruce Banner into Hulk type character.

Ortesk
2013-11-06, 08:38 PM
Thanks for the insights guys. Im gonna pick up reckless rage, kobiliars rage (Sure the name is wrong but grants +2 str) and ettercap beserker./ Im thinking FoF will be good to pick up at some point alos, for the con to ac and more punch power

Feint's End
2013-11-06, 11:19 PM
step 1:import Alchemist and Master Chymist from Pathfinder
step 2: smash everything
step 3: ????
step 4: profit

Morithias
2013-11-07, 01:12 AM
Oh and use Legacy Champion for your Warhulk levels.

You'll lose some strength but get to keep your BAB.

Big Fau
2013-11-07, 01:45 AM
Oh and use Legacy Champion for your Warhulk levels.

You'll lose some strength but get to keep your BAB.

Actually the OP could do Barb 1/Fighter 5 (I recommend Fighter 6 and getting Dungeoncrasher)/War Hulk 2/Legacy Champion 10/Whatever X to get the full +10 Strength and +7 BAB.

Ortesk
2013-11-07, 03:41 AM
Actually the OP could do Barb 1/Fighter 5 (I recommend Fighter 6 and getting Dungeoncrasher)/War Hulk 2/Legacy Champion 10/Whatever X to get the full +10 Strength and +7 BAB.

If im seeing this right, Barb 1/Fighter 6/War Hulk 3/ Legacy champion 10

I would have BAB +14
+20 Str (May be able to wrangle 22 for the last legacy level)
Dungeoncrashing goodness
Raging goodness
so would be pretty good all the way around

Big Fau
2013-11-07, 10:25 AM
If im seeing this right, Barb 1/Fighter 6/War Hulk 3/ Legacy champion 10

I would have BAB +14
+20 Str (May be able to wrangle 22 for the last legacy level)
Dungeoncrashing goodness
Raging goodness
so would be pretty good all the way around

Yeah. Some of the Legacy items aren't that great, but IIRC Gurgal is OK for a Barbarian.