PDA

View Full Version : Flick of the Wrist feat QUESTION

Shadow Revenge
2013-11-06, 01:12 AM
I like this feat, it could be great but have one question

Flick of the Wrist
[General]
With a single motion, you can draw a light weapon and make a devastating attack.
Prerequisite: Quick Draw (PH) , DEX 17,
Benefit: If you draw a light weapon and make a melee attack with it in the same round, you catch your opponent flat-footed (for the purpose of this attack only). This feat works only once per combat.

What's a "combat"? a round? when two things engage 1-on-1? an encounter? what's a "combat"??? thx

TuggyNE
2013-11-06, 01:17 AM
I like this feat, it could be great but have one question

Flick of the Wrist
[General]
With a single motion, you can draw a light weapon and make a devastating attack.
Prerequisite: Quick Draw (PH) , DEX 17,
Benefit: If you draw a light weapon and make a melee attack with it in the same round, you catch your opponent flat-footed (for the purpose of this attack only). This feat works only once per combat.

What's a "combat"? a round? when two things engage 1-on-1? an encounter? what's a "combat"??? thx

An encounter, one supposes, by the usual definition.

It's certainly not a round, and there's no reason I can think of to assume it's one-on-one.

Shadow Revenge
2013-11-06, 01:30 AM
An encounter, one supposes, by the usual definition.

It's certainly not a round, and there's no reason I can think of to assume it's one-on-one.

So a combat is an ENCOUNTER. Got it. thx.

nedz
2013-11-06, 05:40 AM
You have misread the feat

You may use this feat only once per round and once per opponent during any single combat encounter.
The trick is to have lots of weapons which you end up leaving scattered around the battle field as you drop them and quick-draw a new one for each new opponent. You keep your enchanted weapon in your other hand for subsequent attacks, TWF is not required.

JaronK
2013-11-06, 11:44 AM
Well, no, you use a Gnomish Quickrazor. Nice and easy. And then you use it with Iaijutsu Master 5 so you just kill anyone you use it on.

JaronK

Talderas
2013-11-06, 01:14 PM
Well, no, you use a Gnomish Quickrazor. Nice and easy. And then you use it with Iaijutsu Master 5 so you just kill anyone you use it on.

JaronK

You do realize how absurd this sounds. Not saying it doesn't work just that it sounds absurd. Then again you are wielding a gnomish weapon so I guess you should expect absurd.

JaronK
2013-11-06, 01:20 PM
You do realize how absurd this sounds. Not saying it doesn't work just that it sounds absurd. Then again you are wielding a gnomish weapon so I guess you should expect absurd.

A character who, through incredible skill at arms, attacks people before they can react with deadly precision using a concealed wrist blade, doing incredible damage when he does this?

http://0.tqn.com/d/compactiongames/1/0/f/j/1/assassins_creed_2_scr029.jpg

Nope, never heard of that before.

JaronK

Talderas
2013-11-06, 01:45 PM
A character who, through incredible skill at arms, attacks people before they can react with deadly precision using a concealed wrist blade, doing incredible damage when he does this?

Nope, never heard of that before.

JaronK

Unfortunately the quickrazor is not the same thing as the hidden dagger used by Altair, Ezio, Desmond, or Connor. The hidden dagger would be statted similarly to the dagger itself, meaning piercing damage. It's also a slender weapon.

The quickrazor is a different beast. First of all, it deals slashing damage rather than piercing damage. Second of all the description states "The gnome quick razor is a fast flashy weapon favored by gnome bards" emphasis mind. Further along it goes on to describe the weapon and how it attacks

The quickrazor features a light, wide knife blade with a very small hilt. The weapon is worn tied to the wielder's wrist in a specially designed shealth. When you attack with a quickrazor, you flick it out in a quick, slashing circle, catching the hilt in your hand at the end of the arc and then snapping it back into its rest.

So while it, like the hidden blade, is meant to be used to attack from a concealed position, the actual method of attacking between the two is radically different. The hidden blade it's meant to be used without observers knowing that you have used it in addition to opponents not knowing when it will be used. The quickrazor is meant to be seen but the opponents are not to know when it will be used.

JaronK
2013-11-06, 01:58 PM
Which works better with the Iaijutsu concept, since it's a slashing weapon. Despite it being called flashy it's anything but... it's a weapon you never see coming. Honestly, I find the idea of a warrior who attacks with sudden hidden blades that slice people's necks to be pretty cool.

Of course, with the damage an Iaijutsu Master does, you're likely beheading enemies.

JaronK

nedz
2013-11-06, 02:01 PM
That image is very nice, but can you Spoiler it please ?

Shadow Revenge
2013-11-10, 04:34 AM
You have misread the feat

Flick of the Wrist
You may use this feat only once per round and once per opponent during any single combat encounter.

The trick is to have lots of weapons which you end up leaving scattered around the battle field as you drop them and quick-draw a new one for each new opponent. You keep your enchanted weapon in your other hand for subsequent attacks, TWF is not required.

where did you get that quote?

Angelalex242
2013-11-10, 05:50 AM
In my face to face games, there was a rogue who ABUSED THAT FEAT. By. ya know, cheating with it. And saying it worked infinite times, infinite attacks per encounter, making his opponents always flat footed.

I always wanted some solid proof he was a no good dirty cheater for doing that...

Norin
2013-11-10, 06:13 AM
In my face to face games, there was a rogue who ABUSED THAT FEAT. By. ya know, cheating with it. And saying it worked infinite times, infinite attacks per encounter, making his opponents always flat footed.

I always wanted some solid proof he was a no good dirty cheater for doing that...

Was he by any chance an Invisible Blade? If so he was doing it by the rules.
...until it got errata'ed. :smalleek:

I used to love IB 5 with free action Uncanny feints and Feint Mastery. Ah, the good old days. *sigh*

Benthesquid
2013-11-10, 10:22 AM
I've always played a combat as being "From the time initiative is rolled, 'til the time Initiative is broken."

nedz
2013-11-10, 02:13 PM
where did you get that quote?

CWar or RotW.

You appear to be quoting the 3.0 version from Song and Silence ?

Shadow Revenge
2013-11-11, 10:02 PM
I've always played a combat as being "From the time initiative is rolled, 'til the time Initiative is broken."

I looked it up, both D&D & D20 Modern clarified it, pretty much the same wording:

Flick of the Wrist
[General]
Prerequisite: Quick Draw (PH) , Sleight of Hand 5 ranks, DEX 17,
Benefit: If you draw a light weapon and make a melee attack with it in the same round, you catch your opponent flat-footed (for the purpose of this attack only). You can use this feat only once per round and once per opponent during any single combat encounter.

Looks like a pretty good edge if you get in face-to-face melee.

Lightlawbliss
2013-11-11, 10:10 PM
wait, isn't there a skill trick (or multiple maybe) that does that? (AFB)

theIrkin
2013-11-11, 10:35 PM
the skill trick (whose name escapes me) is a tumble through an opponent's square and that round treat them as flat footed. but, being a skill trick, you can only use it once per encounter (or once per minute out of combat). also, mercurial strike is similar, requires quickdraw, and only works as an AOO and you have to have drawn the weapon as part of the strike.

i use all three in my iaijutsu focus factotum build.

Shadow Revenge
2013-11-11, 10:46 PM

if it's easily accessible, I'd like to know.

theIrkin
2013-11-11, 10:54 PM
Acrobatic Backstab, Complete Scoundrel, pp84.

Prerequisite: Tumble 12 ranks .
Benefit: If you succeed on a Tumble check to move through an enemy’s space, you can treat that enemy as flat-footed against the next melee attack you make against it on your current turn .
Your enemy must be standing on the ground or floor in order for you to use this trick .

Edit: And Mercurial Strike is a feat from Dragon Compendium, pp. 102.

Shadow Revenge
2013-11-11, 10:58 PM
Acrobatic Backstab, Complete Scoundrel, pp84.

Prerequisite: Tumble 12 ranks .
Benefit: If you succeed on a Tumble check to move through an enemy’s space, you can treat that enemy as flat-footed against the next melee attack you make against it on your current turn .
Your enemy must be standing on the ground or floor in order for you to use this trick .

Edit: And Mercurial Strike is a feat from Dragon Compendium, pp. 102.

cool. I'll check those out.

lsfreak
2013-11-11, 11:15 PM
cool. I'll check those out.

Just to make sure you know, if you haven't used skill tricks before, they're limited to once per encounter (or once per minute out of combat).

Pickford
2013-11-11, 11:26 PM
Lightlawbliss:

Well...if you win initiative and happen to have Quick Draw, you can technically do this with any weapon, not just a light weapon. (Though FotW allows the flatfooted mid-combat)

theIrkin
2013-11-12, 01:07 AM
Yeah, that's why you use these maneuvers. The Factotum I mentioned in my earlier reply is built to not just win initiative, but to remain effective using his main vector for damage after the first hit.

Lightlawbliss
2013-11-12, 03:04 AM
ok, I looked and Comp S also has

Hidden blade: slight of hand 5 and quickdraw: draw a concealed weapon as a move and make them flat footed against your first attack with that weapon that turn.

note: Some DM's might allow you to hide mid fight and sneak attack out of the hiding, take note that there are arguments both ways.

Shadow Revenge
2013-11-12, 05:35 AM
ok, I looked and Comp S also has

Hidden blade: slight of hand 5 and quickdraw: draw a concealed weapon as a move and make them flat footed against your first attack with that weapon that turn.

note: Some DM's might allow you to hide mid fight and sneak attack out of the hiding, take note that there are arguments both ways.

cool. I'll see if I can use that.

Nightraiderx
2013-11-12, 09:59 AM
worth mentioning that there is a warblade maneuver that does that same thing
it isn't limited if you dip into warblade, Sapphire nightmare strike, just have to beat foe using concentration check and there you go- Iaijutsu standard action attack.