PDA

View Full Version : Psion Help Needed

Ortesk
2013-11-06, 05:01 AM
So admission time, ive never played any kind of psionic character at all. I have very limited knowledge on psions. Which is why i have decided sometime soon im gonna play one. Figure best way to learn is to dive on in.

Looking in the complete psions and various somewhat helpful guides, ive decided on a psion telepath. Mainly always wanted to play an enchanter, and this looks like a very nice fit. So with that in mind, any advice on feats/prestiges? Im not looking for total power, i want to go down the evil mind bender route

Also when explaining, please treat me like a total noob, since in regards to psionics i am

DMVerdandi
2013-11-06, 06:09 AM
If you can, thrallherd.
It's actually pretty OP, as it nets you a form of leadership that is pretty nuts. But you do gain buffs to psionic dominate, which is exactly what you are asking for.
At tenth level you gain a second thrall, (essentially making you a three man party by yourself), and depending on how you roll, that could easily become two other psionic classes, some magic users, or heck, maybe you just want two burly barbarians wearing dunce caps and polishing your toe-nails.

Even though it nets you a lot of potential power, you don't have to play it like so. If you take on a purely supportive role as the 'herd. You can play offensively through the thralls, or even have them play defense with for the other party members.

Ansem
2013-11-06, 06:24 AM
Instead of Thrallherd > Psiologist, the Incanantrix version (or whatever its called) of Psionics, raise ML by 5, some free power uses per day and cheaper metapsionics with full progression.
I'm going to use it for the last 5 levels in Thrallherd myself since I already build towards it.

Ortesk
2013-11-06, 06:26 AM
If you can, thrallherd.
It's actually pretty OP, as it nets you a form of leadership that is pretty nuts. But you do gain buffs to psionic dominate, which is exactly what you are asking for.
At tenth level you gain a second thrall, (essentially making you a three man party by yourself), and depending on how you roll, that could easily become two other psionic classes, some magic users, or heck, maybe you just want two burly barbarians wearing dunce caps and polishing your toe-nails.

Even though it nets you a lot of potential power, you don't have to play it like so. If you take on a purely supportive role as the 'herd. You can play offensively through the thralls, or even have them play defense with for the other party members.

Thrallherd looks perfect, thanks bud. As a side note, what are some good feats to pick up? I was looking and figured if i pick up alot of psionic feats, psionic body wouldnt be a bad way to offset HP issues

Psyren
2013-11-06, 06:31 AM
Have you read Saeomon's handbook in my sig? It's got powers, feats, items, whole 9 yards really.

Ortesk
2013-11-06, 07:04 AM
Have you read Saeomon's handbook in my sig? It's got powers, feats, items, whole 9 yards really.

Still reading it as i type, can you explain augmenting powers to me

Essence_of_War
2013-11-06, 08:19 AM
Unlike arcane spells, most psionic powers do not scale directly with Manifester Level, typically a psionic character must invest extra PP in a power to scale them. The "Augment" options on a power give a "sink" to spend more PP than a power's PP cost. They are, of course, limited in the number of PP they can spend on a power by their manifester level (rule #1 of psionics!).

Example 1:

A 5th level psion (ML = 5) would like to manifest Mind Thrust (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/mindThrust.htm) on a petty rogue that he suspects has a poor will save. The psion can manifest Mind Thrust for 1 PP, doing 1d10 damage (will neg), but since Mind Thrust has an augment option for +1 PP, he can spend 1,2,3,4 or even 5 PP, but not more than 5 since his ML = 5, doing additional damage for each PP spend, and scaling the save DC with every 2 additional PP spent.

Example 2:
A Ranger 2/ PsyWar 4 (ML = 4) would like to manifest Expansion (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/expansion.htm). He can manifest Expansion for 1 PP with the usual effects. He could also choose to take the augment option of +2 PP to get the duration increase since:
1PP + 2PP = 3PP < ML.
He could not, however, use either of the +6 PP augment option to either grow 2 size categories or manifest Expansion as a swift action since:
1PP + 6PP = 7PP > ML.

Psyren
2013-11-06, 08:53 AM
Still reading it as i type, can you explain augmenting powers to me

In addition to Essence of War's post, read the Psionics Rules Summary by Peregrine, also in my sig.

Vash9177
2013-11-07, 02:46 PM
Instead of Thrallherd > Psiologist, the Incanantrix version (or whatever its called) of Psionics, raise ML by 5, some free power uses per day and cheaper metapsionics with full progression.
I'm going to use it for the last 5 levels in Thrallherd myself since I already build towards it.

That sounds pretty cool but I can't seem to find it. Do you know the source for that class?

Pluto!
2013-11-07, 02:55 PM
That sounds pretty cool but I can't seem to find it. Do you know the source for that class?
It's in the Prestige Class Appendix, Vol 2. at Athas.org - a 3rd party publisher that was given approval for use of the Dark Sun IP during 3e's production.

Personally, even as someone who uses a lot of third party material, this is one of those pieces of 3rd party content that's so much stronger than its 1st party competition (with the possible exception of Thrallherd's leadership abuse) that I'd feel uncomfortable bringing it to a non-Dark Sun game. YMMV.

Vash9177
2013-11-07, 03:21 PM
It's in the Prestige Class Appendix, Vol 2. at Athas.org - a 3rd party publisher that was given approval for use of the Dark Sun IP during 3e's production.

Personally, even as someone who uses a lot of third party material, this is one of those pieces of 3rd party content that's so much stronger than its 1st party competition (with the possible exception of Thrallherd's leadership abuse) that I'd feel uncomfortable bringing it to a non-Dark Sun game. YMMV.

Thanks and after a quick lookover I agree, fun class but really strong.