PDA

View Full Version : Domains 101

cokefiend
2007-01-07, 10:30 PM
After reading through a friend's copy of Complete Divine, I have a question about (Cleric) Domains.

What are the most versatile/useful Domains?
And by versatile, I mean it won't limit your spells to only one use (ie: nuke, heal, summon). A useful granted power is great, but not necessary.

Dhavaer
2007-01-07, 10:56 PM
Destruction's pretty good, I think. Also Knowledge or Magic, whichever gives you Identify.

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-01-07, 10:59 PM
The Dream domain is pretty nice, granting immunity to fear.

Pleasure domain I believe it is grants immunity to charisma drain and damage.

The Madness domain is the worst. You subtract 2 from your Wisdom score so that once per day you can add your class level to a single Wisdom-based skill check or Will save. Sorry, -1 to all things Wisdom-based ain't worth it.

cokefiend
2007-01-07, 11:08 PM
Where can I find this Pleasure Domain you speak of? I don't recognise it, and it could make a great character concept. (Co-incidentally, I'm also a big fan of CHA based spell-casting.)

Completely off-topic (hey, it's my thread), there's a solarium near where I work and their logo looks almost exactly like your avatar, Vorpal Tribble. It always makes me laugh.

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-01-07, 11:15 PM
Where can I find this Pleasure Domain you speak of? I don't recognise it, and it could make a great character concept. (Co-incidentally, I'm also a big fan of CHA based spell-casting.)
Its in the Book of Exalted Deeds.

Completely off-topic (hey, it's my thread), there's a solarium near where I work and their logo looks almost exactly like your avatar, Vorpal Tribble. It always makes me laugh.
My furry fellow or the wintery background?

cokefiend
2007-01-07, 11:35 PM
The furry fellow... I think the logo is meant to look like the sun. It doesn't.

I've avoided Exalted Deeds and Vile Whatever up 'til now. Guess it might be time to make the plunge.

TheOOB
2007-01-07, 11:48 PM
Magic is probally the best domain, the ability to use wizard scrolls, wands, and staves is really really good.

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-01-07, 11:58 PM
I've avoided Exalted Deeds and Vile Whatever up 'til now. Guess it might be time to make the plunge.
Book of Vile Darkness I wouldn't bother with (especially since its 3.0). However, I very much enjoyed the Book of Exalted Deeds and except for a few bits and pieces they messed up on I don't see to this day what the big deal is with it.

cupkeyk
2007-01-08, 02:44 AM
For single level dips for Rogues, like say if you wanna qualify for Skullclan hunter, Fate gives you three levels of rogue in uncanny dodge while luck lets you reroll once per day.

The planning Domain lets you get Extend spell for free, which frees up a feat in case you are going for divine meta-persistent-cheese.

Destruction and Strength are great for one hit killers.

Kantolin
2007-01-08, 03:10 AM
Big fan of the Travel domain here...

The maneuverability tends to significantly help out, especially for a usually-heavy-armour-20ft-movement cleric.