PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Oracle + Experimental Spellcaster/WoP

Spore
2013-11-06, 10:06 AM
Hi guys,

I was thinking about spicing up the gameplay of my Oracle a bit with standard spellcasting plus cherrypicking some words of power.

I am a Elven ancient lore master (oracle of lore) 9.

Feats until now:
(1) Craft Wondrous Item
(3) Skill Focus Knowledge
(5) Eldritch Heritage

Do you think this is reasonable? If so, give me clever ideas for punctually useful words of power.

Spore
2013-11-08, 05:07 AM
Well, this was a pretty lame outcome, wasn't it?

CockroachTeaParty
2013-11-08, 09:14 AM
You should check the guide in my sig, yo. For an Oracle, the Undeath word is choice (free undead minions, ages well), and any of the Life words are good grabs (free resurrections).

Spore
2013-11-08, 09:19 AM
When I already have you here. How do Meta Words affect the spell's level? On what I have gotten so far, you can only use one meta word and only affect spells of certain levels. Does this mean word spells can be meta'ed "for free" if need be?

CockroachTeaParty
2013-11-08, 09:22 AM
Meta words may or may not alter a wordspell's level. Some of them have minimum spell slot levels; a Mind Warp spell has to be at least 4th level, for instance. The Boost meta word sometimes increases a spell's level, and sometimes does not (Boost Fade is still a 1st level spell, Boost Burning Flash is a 2nd level spell). It all depends on the individual word descriptions.

Spore
2013-11-08, 09:29 AM
I still have to convince my DM to let me take Word of Power, but if I take Experimental Spellcaster with boosted Servitor IV on my 9. level feat, I hypothetically could summon 1d4+1 Dire Lions as a standard action?

I am not sure how I would sell this as not overpowered. (I know, I spent a feat on a spell soon to be outdated, but my DM is picky like that).

CockroachTeaParty
2013-11-08, 09:38 AM
You have to boost the Selected target word to summon multiple monsters with the Servitor words, which is a +3 level adjustment. Summoning multiples off the SM IV list is thus a 7th level spell, so it's actually worse than normal casting (although it's a standard action, which is nice). Sounds like you've got some reading to do.

Spore
2013-11-08, 09:50 AM
You have to boost the Selected target word to summon multiple monsters with the Servitor words, which is a +3 level adjustment. Summoning multiples off the SM IV list is thus a 7th level spell, so it's actually worse than normal casting (although it's a standard action, which is nice). Sounds like you've got some reading to do.

It's a quickened 5th level spell for a 7th level slot so it has SOME uses, but I agree that I don't know the system by heart :)

e: I disagree Servitor's (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/variant-magic-rules/words-of-power/effect-words/servitor-i) description states that you can boost the EFFECT instead of the selected target word and it doesn't mention the TARGET word at all. Or do you have to boost everything in the spell?

CockroachTeaParty
2013-11-08, 12:07 PM
That's what I originally thought, but check it again. It specifically states that the target word must be boosted to summon multiple monsters.

Spore
2013-11-08, 12:10 PM
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-xpI1FRC1iwo/UmpVyN_mfRI/AAAAAAAAABI/dbWx75cWHjs/annoyed-facepalm-picard-l.jpg

I am sorry.