PDA

View Full Version : Theoretical Magic System

Juron Pilo
2013-11-06, 10:28 AM
Ok so I've been thinking alot about the magic system and I've sorta come to the conclusion that the current d&d spell system could almostt be simplified into basic schools. I like the system I'm creating but I'm a noob at system design and need help with the specifics of spellcasting basically each "school is supposed to pan out into tables of effects rather than individual spells based on level.

NORMAL SCHOOLS
Empower(enhancers from hxh)
Create(conjuration)
Divine(divination)
Enchant
Evoke
Project(abjuration)
Absorb(absorb energy)
Change(transmutation)

SPECIAL SCHOOLS
Heal(recovers hp)
Remove(removes enchantments)
Revive(revive/animates's the dead)
Protect(abjuration)

Wizards get all schools(but the two special) and less mp
Sorcerers get 8 normal schools and more mp
Clerics get the 4 special schools and 6 normal schools and less mp
Mystics get any 2 of the special schools and 6 of the normal and more hp

so rather than having evocation spell list you might have something like a list of effects
fire ice electricity prismaya and potential ranges/damages/dot for each one in some sort of table but I need help constructing useful tables Other useful tables would be divnation future past mp costs range costs etc

Edit: oh yeah this system uses mp because I want to take advantage of the quantification system mentioned here:
http://h-x-h.wikia.com/wiki/Nen

as you level you'd be able to expend more mp on spells.

edit:
I'm thinking about making it on a grid/facing system with tokens for each cost, some cost like area of effects like rays and cones costing multiple points(shown beside the icon on the token)

Rizban
2013-11-07, 07:04 AM
Are you trying to work this into an already existing game system (D&D, GURPS, M&M, etc.)? If so, which one?

Juron Pilo
2013-11-07, 08:23 AM
D&d

With maybe pathfinder spellblade thrown in since I hate fighters being weak.

Rizban
2013-11-07, 08:33 AM
I'm assuming by the Pathfinder reference that you mean 3.x as opposed to one of the other editions.

With that settled, I have to ask, what is it that you're trying to accomplish by doing this? What is your goal in doing this? What purpose are you trying to achieve?

How is this different/better than the existing rules? Is this just new fluff that has no bearing on the game? Is it a new system intended to be used with the existing mechanics? Or is it a total replacement for a set of the game's rules?

Juron Pilo
2013-11-07, 08:42 AM
3.5 yes

Well I'm trying to make spell construction a matter of having points to buy spells rather than using the Vancian(am I spelling that wrong or something? why isn't vancian in the dictionary?) magic system because I think it affords better spell construction. Or so my theory goes. I might even do this to special abilities and psionic powers come to think of it.

edit: what you probaby want from me is that this is a variant(if possible) or total replacement(if I can't afford the former.

edit:
tangental note empower domain(which I should probably rename to enhance works like the transformation spell, giving you dbz or hxh powers minus the ki blasts(which would be evocation)
I supppose its a break from tradition that my wizards would be able to strengthen themselves but not place wards, but hey I like offensive magic and somehow I think it will work out.

Rizban
2013-11-07, 09:02 AM
"Vancian" isn't in the dictionary because it's a made up word. It's derived from the last name of Jack Vance, a fantasy author upon whose work the magic system of D&D was largely based, hence "Vancian".

Ah, so what you're suggesting is that we throw away spells entirely and use a more generalized "effects" list from which to build custom spells. Is this about right?

Juron Pilo
2013-11-07, 09:05 AM
Yes, thats correct.

Rizban
2013-11-07, 09:07 AM
I suggest you read up on Muntants & Masterminds. It's a d20 based system that did pretty much exactly that. Here's a link to the M&M SRD (http://www.d20herosrd.com/6-powers), specifically to the section on Powers. It may give you some ideas on where to go with your concept.

Juron Pilo
2013-11-07, 09:13 AM
I'm familiar with mutants and masterminds. I want something more geared toward d&d than superheroes. Also I'm a little attached to my school system(if I could come up with proper vocabulary for it even better). It would make it so much easier to define what spells other partial casters get. Just a few less schools and less total mp.

Edit: at any rate I need only 12 "effects"

What would help is some tables describing them.

Rizban
2013-11-07, 09:34 AM
I wasn't suggesting you copy/paste the M&M system.

You definitely have a seed of an idea here. I'm having trouble saying too much about it so far, because you just haven't presented much beyond the basic start to the skeleton of the system. Get some more ideas down on paper, and I can better help you.

Juron Pilo
2013-11-07, 09:37 AM
Do you mind if I make just one big blab of a post only seperated into paragraphs? Because I'm bad with tables. Theres someone here who usually takes my blather and organizes it into tables. Can you do that? Or can you find him? He has the appearance of Yin sid.

Rizban
2013-11-07, 09:47 AM
I'm not making your stuff for you. I will, however, point you to this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=205677).

Juron Pilo
2013-11-07, 10:06 AM
Thanks anyways then.