PDA

View Full Version : Iron Heart Surge - A thought exercise of RAW-failure

Aliek
2013-11-06, 12:54 PM
First off, two things:

1-> This isn't supposed to work in normal games and
2-> This is surely not RAI

Just so we're clear on that.

Now, onto the thought exercise, I propose this idea: Let's find some conditions 'defined' onto our rulebooks which we could IHS for different effects.

I've probably failed at explaining it, but here's an example:

The Forsaker class has a pre-requisite of "must once have been the victim of a magical attack that seriously wounded him or threatened his life", where after he becomes seriously wounded by a magical attack, the character would have this 'condition' added to his story, thus qualifying him for Forsaker levels.

If we IHS this away, you couldn't have been hit by a life-threatening magic attack, and thus something else happens. The attack is retconned to not hit, perhaps.

I think the most potential would be in PrC pre-requisites, but anything goes!:smallbiggrin:

Darrin
2013-11-06, 03:28 PM
This sounds more like "Iron Heart Surge = Timecube (http://www.timecube.com/) for RPGs"

Aliek
2013-11-06, 05:44 PM
That's confusing.

But I guess my idea is also a bit.

Another example: To become a Blood Magus you must have been killed and returned back to life. So if you've been revived and IHS this condition... Oops.

Point is, those small traits have a crunch value, however small, by being prerequisites for a PrC. They're a 'condition' of sorts, a 0 or 1 state you'd keep track of in theory(If you follow the fluff prerequisites for a PrC).

JaronK
2013-11-06, 06:40 PM
I'm a fan of using IHS to remove the condition of being vulnerable to attacks. Or of not being a god. With a surge of effort, I remove my own mortality!

JaronK

Menzath
2013-11-06, 08:35 PM
Funny enough I think the opposite is true as well, you can use IHS to qualify for PRC's, Like IHS a dragons(or some creatures) fear(or other) aura, IHS removes not just the effect but also it's source. Good-bye creature.
Also works on gaze attacks, though in that case it might only remove a creatures eyes.

eggynack
2013-11-06, 08:41 PM
Funny enough I think the opposite is true as well, you can use IHS to qualify for PRC's, Like IHS a dragons(or some creatures) fear(or other) aura, IHS removes not just the effect but also it's source. Good-bye creature.
Also works on gaze attacks, though in that case it might only remove a creatures eyes.
I would think that it would just remove the dragon's fear aura, or the creature's gaze attack, rather than physically removing folks from existence.

Zanos
2013-11-06, 11:24 PM
Keep in mind that an effect must have a duration in order for you to IHS it.

Menzath
2013-11-07, 03:34 PM
Hmm for true dragons it is an intrinsic part of their being True dragons. Would it make them not be dragons anymore?
But I concede on gaze attacks it would just remove the ability from the creature and not their eye's, Sadly.

Shining Wrath
2013-11-07, 03:59 PM
Following the above examples, any PrC requiring a race qualifier could be removed by IHS the threat into a different race.

1) I suffer from the condition of "not able to hit you" because you are a Dwarven Defender, and that condition has persisted for several rounds and will continue
2) Therefore, I IHS you into a pathetic excuse for a humanoid. You are now - an elf!
3) You cease to be a Dwarven Defender, and thus I can now hit you!

Same for any class requiring an alignment.

More ironically, if a foe is in a ToB stance which persistently affects a Warblade, they can obviously IHS the enemy into a class which can no longer use that stance. Such as commoner.

nedz
2013-11-07, 04:03 PM
IHS has a range of Personal, so some of these tricks would be out of range.

Shining Wrath
2013-11-07, 04:13 PM
IHS has a range of Personal, so some of these tricks would be out of range.

The exercise is along the lines of "water is no longer wet if wetness negatively affects the Warblade" and similar silliness that is, at least to some, RAW for IHS.

chronomatophobe
2013-11-07, 09:30 PM
Interesting to note that "Invisible" is an officially recognized condition (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/conditionSummary.htm) as defined by the SRD. And so is "Incorporeal."