PDA

View Full Version : Trying to learn, not having much luck.

Darkranger85
2013-11-06, 01:55 PM
Hey all,

I have been trying to learn DnD 3.5 for a few weeks now.

I am reasonably sure that I can come up with a viable character sheet, and I understand the concepts of using skills and rolling for success or failure.

What I would really like is to join a game and learn the basics.

I'm also active on www.thetangledweb.net. However, it seems it's going to be a while till I'm able to get into their academy and I've also posted looking for a game that will welcome a new player but I haven't had any luck.

Anyone here willing to hook me up either in a game or perhaps in doing a little practice one on one or something?

Thanks guys!

erikun
2013-11-06, 02:35 PM
There's actually an entire forum, Finding Players (Recruitment) (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51), devoted to hooking up people together for games. You can either look through the available threads for a game and post in one as a player, or put a post in the Player Registry sticky to see if anyone is interested in picking you up as a player. Or probably both.

There's no waiting period or anything like that around here, although if you're posting in a recruiting thread, you'll want to read the first post to make sure it's compatable with what you want to play.

JHShadon
2013-11-06, 03:32 PM
Follow Erikun's advice and remember to have fun.

nedz
2013-11-06, 03:38 PM
A word of warning: many PbPs fail to launch, others fail soon after launch.
Don't be surprised if it takes you a few games before you actually get to play.

Magnetic
2013-11-06, 09:19 PM
Hey all,

I have been trying to learn DnD 3.5 for a few weeks now.

... snip ...

Anyone here willing to hook me up either in a game or perhaps in doing a little practice one on one or something?

Thanks guys!

Yeah, I can help. In the past I've run 3.5 D&D and Star Wars Saga Edition games.

I'm not running a game right now, however I could could throw together a scenario for you to run a character through.

This week is good. Tonight, Thursday, or Friday in the evenings (Pacific) are open for me. Maybe Saturday.

We'd be doing a voicechat using Skype. My Skype screen name is Mr.Starspawn (no spaces).

I'd start the session with taking you through character generation for a 6th level character. To keep things simple we'd stick to the PHB I and II for books used.

We'd be building you your choice of one of the following:

(a) a Beguiler 6 - the easiest arcane caster to learn and play
(b) a Cleric* 6 - the iconic (an extremely effective) divine caster
(c) a melee beatstick - something basic like Barbarian 4/Fighter 2 to get a handle on basic multiclassing and how to beat things to death without any real class features.

If you are interested, let me know - and tell me what time (PST) would work.

Telling me in this thread would probably be best. I am not so good with PM's, but you can roll the dice and shoot me one if you like (on other forums I've stumbled across PM's in my mailbox years after they were first sent to me...)

*ideally a cleric of Gruumsh for the scenario I'm thinking of whipping up

Darkranger85
2013-11-06, 10:34 PM
Hey, thanks for the replies and the offer Magnetic!

I'd love to run a simple scenario with you. However, I don't have access to Skype or any other such programs at the moment.

My internet bandwidth is so limited that I can't use them till I move later this month. If you would like to run the scenario as a thread then I'm game.

I'm free most afternoons and nights and have the ability to post often. I have a smart phone and I'm not afraid to post from it where ever I am. And at home I check my forum posts frequently.

Magnetic
2013-11-06, 11:07 PM
Do you have limited bandwidth or do you mean your plan has tight data limits?

Because I imagine anything with more bandwidth than a 56.6 modem could handle a voice connection over skype. As far as data plan limits, well that's tougher. Skype voice chat uses like 3 megabytes per minute of chat.

I can't - won't - do something like play-by-post. It's way too much typing, sorry. I hate typing. I don't even understand how people can tolerate play-by-post.

If you have specific questions about game mechanics, I'll try and answer them here (or you could create a thread over in the 3.5 subforum), but I can't bang out a game session on a keyboard.

Hit me up with a PM or on skype when your situation changes and I'll make good on the offer.