PDA

View Full Version : Bolas

Fizban
2007-01-08, 04:56 AM
So, I just looked at the bolas. They are a thrown exotic weapon that can you can trip with. Now I want to see an effective build centered around quick drawing and tripping people with bolas. Proabably returning, with some other ranged attack to hit them with after tripping, with the far shot feat for longer range.

Also, they seem to be a good thing for anyone to have. Tripping only requires a touch attack to start, so the non-proficiency penalty isn't all that bad, you just need some strength bonus to knock the guy over.

Charity
2007-01-08, 05:23 AM
Surely you can't have a returning bolas! would it drag the creature with it or what?

reorith
2007-01-08, 05:46 AM
maybe they would only return on a missed trip attempt?

Thomas
2007-01-08, 05:57 AM
They trip, unwind themselves, then speed back to the thrower. If you think that's a stretch for a magical ability... uh... yeah.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-01-08, 06:27 AM
As Thomas said; It has done its dirty work.
Rinse and repeat.

Charity
2007-01-08, 06:33 AM
Do returning things work for itterative attacks? There are just some things that should not be returnable...
suppositories for example

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-01-08, 06:38 AM
No, it returns at the start of next round to the same spot it was thrown from.

Returning: This special ability can only be placed on a weapon that can be thrown. A returning weapon flies through the air back to the creature that threw it. It returns to the thrower just before the creature’s next turn (and is therefore ready to use again in that turn).

Catching a returning weapon when it comes back is a free action. If the character can’t catch it, or if the character has moved since throwing it, the weapon drops to the ground in the square from which it was thrown.

Moderate transmutation; CL 7th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, telekinesis; Price +1 bonus.

goken04
2007-01-08, 07:12 AM
Fizban, I think you'll have trouble finding such an effective build. Ranged tripping is sub-optimal because of the beauty that is Improved Trip. You're way better off going melee: with ranged you're reliant on Dex for accuracy and Str for the Trip check. Less MAD if you go melee, PLUS you can follow up with an attack at the same BA w/ Improved Trip, which you can't do with ranged tripping (save for quickdraw and multiple throwing weapons).

That said, if you're going to GO ranged tripping, you're better off with something like a Sai, so you can disarm also (and disarming is going to be easier anyways, chances are). Take levels in Master Thrower (Where you can get Trip Shot, I do believe) and EWM and you're golden. Also, throw in some whisper knife, if you're a halfling. Ta-da, you stand a pretty good chance of being an effective ranged tripper, more so than with a Bolas, IMHO.

Still, the Bolas thrower sounds like a FUN thing to do. Just throwing ropes at people. I'd build a Fighter and/or Ranger and PrC to Justiciar and/or Bloodhound (both from CW) for that, probably. And would NOT put returning on it. Get net(s), too. You're bringin' 'em all back alive.

Thomas
2007-01-08, 10:42 AM
As Thomas said; It has done its dirty work.
Rinse and repeat.

Yep. As far as I recall, there's no entangling effect; the bolas don't need to be unwound by the target, etc. They're just tripped. The bolas' fate after that is irrelevant to the functionality.

MrNexx
2007-01-08, 12:26 PM
Look into Teleporting (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/psionicItemsAW.html), from the Psionic portion of the SRD. While technically psionic, the power it's based off of is also available in magic, and would concievably be the same price (since both are +1 enchantments, and dimension door is lower level than telekinesis for a wizard).

Animate Rope might also be fun.