PDA

View Full Version : A Boon too Soon

AlanBruce
2013-11-06, 04:36 PM
Greetings! Not really too soon, but it should be coming up, my party will most likely get a specific boon from a goddess. The power level of the deity in question is unimportant as to what boon she can bestow, since it's a one time thing.

What I was hoping for was for solid ideas, mechanically and fluff wise. The party may end up in an undead heavy campaign after their current arc. And this deity sides tremendously with positive energy, so a boon related to that should be in order.

This is the party make up, ECL 11 by the time they gain the boon:

human cleric/prestige paladin/ inquisitor

Lolth Touched drow wiz/paladin of freedom/abj. champion

grey elf beguiler

grey elf conjurer

human dragon shaman (white dragon, going into marshal)

The conjurer is quite powerful, as conjurers tend to be. Same goes for the paladins who can do very good damage.

The beguiler has a bunch of spells and decent DCs, but against undead, most of them are useless.

The shaman is the heal bot, with Touch of Vitality and Aura of Vigor. Other than that, she can soak up damage, but cannot dish it. And many undead are immune to cold already, so as mentioned earlier, they could not fare so well against hordes of skeletons.

So I ask you, Playground, if you could assist me with a flavorful boon- be it an item, feat, class feature, SLA, anything that could mesh well with their class and with the nature of the one giving them the boon. It need not be something overly powerful, but certainly something that differentiates each by being blessed by a deity strongly affiliated with the Positive Energy Plane.

Thank you in advance.

Fax Celestis
2013-11-06, 04:40 PM
Give them the class feature benefits of having had taken three levels in their respective racial paragon class (without the hit dice, bab, saves, skills, etc., just the class features).

herrhauptmann
2013-11-06, 04:43 PM
Consecrated aura like the sacred exorcist ability.
Or the Holy Radiance feat from BoED that damages undead that get close.

For the casters, give them the metamagic feat that turns spells into Holy/Good damage. For free.
If that feels too powerful, make it an X per day.

hymer
2013-11-06, 04:47 PM
A Staff with spells that will be essential for fighting undead (buffs, cures and an attack spell of some sort) could be very useful for the beguiler, allowing them to contribute. Have the spells have a theme that fits the goddess (which should come natural). Maybe make up some unique spell that will benefit the others so they feel rewarded too, even though the beguiler will be the obvious choice for the staff.

I've got nothing for the shammy right now, hopefully someone else will think of something.

Edit: I'm assuming the beguiler has sufficient UMD for you to add some fun stuff to the staff.

nedz
2013-11-06, 05:00 PM
For the casters, give them the metamagic feat that turns spells into Holy/Good damage. For free.

That's nice for the Conjurer, but probably useless for the Beguiler; their spells are not known for doing damage. You could Grant them Arcane Disciple in a suitable domain (one the deity normally offers). Allowing them to choose the domain is more powerful than having the deity choose for them.

Adverb
2013-11-06, 07:23 PM
Fast Healing 1, stackable with any other form of FH, such as Vigor aura.

If you want to turn the knob up, they can donate it to anyone they touch, and/or any undead that strikes them takes 1 point of positive energy damage.

AlanBruce
2013-11-06, 08:03 PM
You could Grant them Arcane Disciple in a suitable domain (one the deity normally offers).

The goddess in this topic is more of a "godlike" being- she can grant boons and cast spells, but she does not have access to domains. The Beguiler has Arcane Disicple, being a follower of Fharlanghn, having the Travel domain.

Fast Healing 1, stackable with any other form of FH, such as Vigor aura.

I thought different sources of FH stacked, but this is a good idea.

Consecrated aura like the sacred exorcist ability.
Or the Holy Radiance feat from BoED that damages undead that get close.

I really like these ideas. Will look into both and refresh my memory on what they can do.

Is that a metamagic from BOED? I like it, especially since the conjurer has a few devils hot on his tracks.

Give them the class feature benefits of having had taken three levels in their respective racial paragon class (without the hit dice, bab, saves, skills, etc., just the class features).

I really like this. Unearthed Arcana, right?

Thank you very much for the amazing suggestion. If you have more ideas, please post them. I was originally thinking about handing out some items, but these can be stolen. Being blessed by having a feat ior special ability cannot.

Angelalex242
2013-11-06, 08:05 PM
The Paladin dude would like the Fist of Raz class...

Magic Circle vs. Evil 1st level...

Sith_Happens
2013-11-06, 08:37 PM
Give the Beguiler a ring/wondrous item that lets their mind-affecting spells work on undead, say it works by infusing the spells with positive energy.

AlanBruce
2013-11-06, 08:49 PM
Give the Beguiler a ring/wondrous item that lets their mind-affecting spells work on undead, say it works by infusing the spells with positive energy.

I had considered that. Something like Piercing Enchantment (akin to Piercing Cold).

That sounds like a good idea. I'll work with that and see how it fits against stronger undead.

Helluin
2013-11-06, 08:58 PM
Perhaps give the beguiler a custom staff/wonderous items/whatever that contains spells that help fight undead, but can be fueled by his own spell slots rather than using charges?

As for the white dragon shaman, maybe a breath weapon that can deal half cold/half positive energy damage? Or something akin to the healing grace class feature from the PF life subschool (a subschool of necromancy).

AlanBruce
2013-11-06, 09:23 PM
Perhaps give the beguiler a custom staff/wonderous items/whatever that contains spells that help fight undead, but can be fueled by his own spell slots rather than using charges?

As for the white dragon shaman, maybe a breath weapon that can deal half cold/half positive energy damage? Or something akin to the healing grace class feature from the PF life subschool (a subschool of necromancy).

These are very good ideas. The beguiler has a lot of spell slots, so that shouldn't be a problem.

And I had considered a breath weapon that heals. An interesting idea and that will likely be implemented.

Sith_Happens
2013-11-06, 09:24 PM

That's called a Runestaff. Magic Item Compendium has them.

Zombulian
2013-11-06, 09:26 PM

I like this one.

AlanBruce
2013-11-06, 09:44 PM
I am leaning heavily towards the Paragon class features. Solid and very well balanced.

Douglas
2013-11-06, 10:57 PM
Pathfinder has a pair of feats along those lines: Thanatopic Spell (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/metamagic-feats/thanatopic-spell-metamagic) and Threnodic Spell (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/metamagic-feats/threnodic-spell-metamagic). Refluff them a bit to be powered by positive energy, and you have ready made material for a metamagic rod like item.