PDA

View Full Version : Ways to Generate City Damage?

Zombulian
2013-11-07, 12:54 AM
Hey guys, I saw a silly mention of City Damage in this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=313122) thread, and it got me thinking.
The only way I know how to stop City Damage is with Truenamer, and that could make a pretty crazy BBG figure. A 20th lvl Truenamer whos place of study and solitude constantly lets off tons of City Damage every round, and he's the only person immune to it. The problem is, I know almost nothing about the stuff!

How is it generated? Can it be harnessed?

Fax Celestis
2013-11-07, 01:04 AM
The only way to deal city damage is via the City Magic metamagic feat in Cityscape.

You can only use it on a traditional energy damage spell (acid, cold, electricity, fire, sonic), and it converts half the damage from energy damage into "city damage". This is also a free metamagic.

The downside is that you can no longer cast the spell outside of a settlement--or inside one that's smaller than a Small Town (per DMG city sizes; not in the SRD, surprisingly). That said, a wizard with the Wizard of the Sun and Moon ACF from Dungeonscape can get around this by preparing City spells as Moon spells (thereby only using them inside) and preparing the same spells as Sun spells without the City Spell metamagic, so as to use them outside without any issue.

ArqArturo
2013-11-07, 01:06 AM
Call me ignorant, as I don't have that many splatbooks, but...

City Damage? I'm guessing... You need two guys in reptilian suits and they might destroy a city. In scale size O.o...

Khatoblepas
2013-11-07, 01:07 AM
The downside is that you can no longer cast the spell outside of a settlement--or inside one that's smaller than a Small Town (per DMG city sizes; not in the SRD, surprisingly).

Could you throw up an oak tree in the middle of your chosen city, and use an Acorn of Far Travel to count as being within the bounderies of the city while adventuring?

The text of City Magic itself says that the city damage doesn't have to be made of the city.

How do you stop City damage with a truenamer?

Zombulian
2013-11-07, 01:11 AM
Could you throw up an oak tree in the middle of your chosen city, and use an Acorn of Far Travel to count as being within the bounderies of the city while adventuring?

The text of City Magic itself says that the city damage doesn't have to be made of the city.

How do you stop City damage with a truenamer?

The Greater Energy Negation utterance. Grants you immunity to one energy type. No whitelist.

Fax Celestis
2013-11-07, 09:32 AM

Yeah, probably.

TuggyNE
2013-11-07, 05:13 PM

AoFT strikes again! :smallsigh: