PDA

View Full Version : Quick Question: Haste Invocation

Kane0
2013-11-07, 04:59 AM
Hey guys, quickly getting together a new invocation and need opinions.

Fey Haste
You gain a +2 bonus to initiative, increase all movement speeds by 20' and gain one additional standard action per turn (maximum two). You cannot benefit from any other form of haste while under this effect. This invocation lasts 24 hours.

My first inclination would be that this should be a dark invocation, but Greater haste is a 6th level spell so i thought it might be worth asking if it fits better as a greater invocation.

Thoughts?

Rizban
2013-11-07, 05:49 AM
Where are you sourcing the spell greater haste?

Haste by itself hasn't granted extra actions since the 3.5 revision was first published. An extra standard action every single round for the entire day is very, very, very potent.

This is definitely a Dark Invocation at the absolute lowest, but it should probably be epic only. I certainly wouldn't allow it in my games pre-epic.

D-naras
2013-11-07, 05:49 AM
No AC and attack bonus? I think dark is more appropriate since you gain this benefit for 24 hours, allowing 2 invocation per turn, essentialy doubling your turns.

Kane0
2013-11-07, 04:27 PM
My bad on the greater haste, that was homebrew a saw ages ago.

New version!
+2 to Initiative, Reflex and touch AC, +20' movement speed, extra swing on a full attack. 24 hours, self only, doesn't stack with other forms of haste.

Thinking Greater, but using eldritch Claws or Glaive with this might make it a dark.

The_Snark
2013-11-07, 05:15 PM
My bad on the greater haste, that was homebrew a saw ages ago.

New version!
+2 to Initiative, Reflex and touch AC, +20' movement speed, extra swing on a full attack. 24 hours, self only, doesn't stack with other forms of haste.

Thinking Greater, but using eldritch Claws or Glaive with this might make it a dark.

Honestly, I'd say this revised version should be lesser. It's equivalent to a 3rd-level spell, except the spell version buffs everyone in your party and this is single-target. Longer duration is nice, but this isn't the kind of spell which becomes dramatically more useful when usable at-will - it's mostly only good in a fight. You're a warlock; unless you have Eldritch Claws or Glaive, you won't get much use out of that extra attack. The +2 bonuses are nice, but generally I'd spring for invisibility, blindsense or flight instead, unless my character uses one of those full attack invocations.

I suppose you could bump it up to a greater invocation, on the assumption that everyone who takes it will also have Eldritch Glaive and/or Claws. But considering you could get the same effect with boots of speed, or by having your party wizard (or sorcerer, or bard) cast Haste on your whole group... no, I don't think it'd be worth it. It's still a 3rd-level spell effect.

(That original version you had, on the other hand, would definitely be dark at minimum.)

Zaydos
2013-11-07, 05:21 PM
I'm going to second that the new version is probably lesser citing Swift Haste as an additional example of why (Swift action 1 round self only haste as a 2nd level spell).

Rizban
2013-11-07, 06:36 PM
Agreed. New version is a Lesser Invocation.

Kane0
2013-11-07, 06:55 PM
Lesser it is then.

While I'm here, I may as well post the others I have ready to go.

Call Minion: Invocation, Least
You can use Summon Monster I as the spell. You cannot have more than one creature summoned at a time.
When you qualify for lesser invocations you can use Summon Monster II, Greater Invocations Summon Monster III and Dark Invocations Summon Monster IV.
This Invocation lasts 24 hours.
May be a bit weak, i'm considering making it I, III, V and VII respectively.

Secrets of the Mind: Invocation, Least
You gain the benefits of Detect Thoughts as the spell. When you qualify for Greater Invocations you can implant a suggestion (as the spell) into the mind of a target you successfully read the surface thoughts of. This invocation lasts 24 hours.

Eldritch Vortex: Invocation, Lesser
You trap a single creature within short range in a vortex that lasts one round per caster level. The target must succeed on a reflex save or be sucked in, unable to act and taking 1d6 + CL damage per round. The Target can make a new reflex save each round to escape the vortex.
Needs a new name to distinguish it from being a blast shape.

Telekinesis: Invocation, Greater
You can use Telekinesis, as the spell. This Invocation lasts 24 hours.