PDA

View Full Version : What class/build benefits the most from all three mental stats?

danzibr
2013-11-07, 08:20 AM
Well, first I know *all* classes benefit from all three mental stats, if for nothing other than skills. Favored Souls like Wis and Cha. So do Clerics and Pallys. But what (reasonable) build likes all three? I'm not talking about something silly like Sorc/Wiz/Cleric, but something one could seriously bring to the table.

I guess Warblade/Cleric/RKV would benefit a good bit from all 3. Any others?

Psyren
2013-11-07, 08:58 AM
An Archivist with Turn Undead (to get into a divine PrC of some sort) would want all three to be decent, and that's something you could reasonably expect to show up at a table. So Archivist 7/SE 1/X.

sleepyphoenixx
2013-11-07, 09:07 AM
A Nymph Wizard/Arcane Hierophant could be decent if it weren't crippled by the high LA.
A Wizard/Cleric/Mystic Theurge benefits from all three too. Not exactly highly optimized but theurges do have their fans and show up in actual games every so often.

Shining Wrath
2013-11-07, 09:12 AM
Factotum. INT for Inspiration points; WIS for Opportunistic Piety; CHR for Use Magic Device.

If you think that's a little weak on the CHR, go multi-class; Factotum / Sorcerer, Factotum / Crusader, etc.

A Factotum / Paladin has solid use of all 3; lots of INT for the Factotum, lots of WIS and CHR for the Paladin.

Feint's End
2013-11-07, 09:43 AM
Factotum. INT for Inspiration points; WIS for Opportunistic Piety; CHR for Use Magic Device.

If you think that's a little weak on the CHR, go multi-class; Factotum / Sorcerer, Factotum / Crusader, etc.

A Factotum / Paladin has solid use of all 3; lots of INT for the Factotum, lots of WIS and CHR for the Paladin.

That is just MAD, not a reasonable build

Shining Wrath
2013-11-07, 09:48 AM
That is just MAD, not a reasonable build

A Factotum all by itself is MAD?

A Factotum multi-classed with Sorcerer is MAD?

I think a lot of Factotum builds would emphasize all 3 mental abilities for the reasons stated. And adding a spontaneous caster to Factotum is not a terrible idea.

Agreed that Paladin + Factotum means you need everything except DEX.

Cog
2013-11-07, 10:15 AM
Cloistered Cleric played straight is very heavily mental-stat based. You're not as much of a combatant as a standard Cleric unless you build for it, but Int boosts your skill points higher and benefits your knowledge abilities, Wis fuels our casting, and Cha fuels your turning.

Feytalist
2013-11-07, 10:24 AM
3.0 psions, if I remember correctly. Each discipline had its own casting stat, didn't it?

Also... how about a Sword of the Arcane Order paladin? Arcane casting off Int, paladin casting off Wis, and paladins always like Cha. (You can freely switch between arcane and divine with SotAO, right?)

OldTrees1
2013-11-07, 11:03 AM
Seconding Closistered Cleric

Int for enough skill points to be a skill monkey
Wis for enabling casting
Cha for enough persisted spells

Vedhin
2013-11-07, 12:11 PM
3.0 psions, if I remember correctly. Each discipline had its own casting stat, didn't it?

Affirmative. But one of the reasons why 3.0 psionics was horrible.

nedz
2013-11-07, 12:16 PM
A Spirit Shaman who wants some skills.
Now I'd be surprised to see Int above 14, but they are twin statted on the other two.

mabriss lethe
2013-11-07, 01:41 PM
The Commoner obviously!

Snowbluff
2013-11-07, 01:47 PM
Feats: Build smart guy.
Knowledge Devotion.
Faerie Mysteries Initiate.

Race: Play a Phrenic Creature for SLAs.

Class: Something Wis based. Probably druid. Become bear. Ignore that you wasted your PB on all mental stats. Maybe dip Factotum.

Addendum: Dip monk (*BARF*), take Carmedine Monk/Kung Fu genius to improve the value of intellect in this build.