PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Shadow Dragon 101

Xaragos
2013-11-07, 10:19 AM
Playground,

If all of your group's players are less than level 14 and have to face off against a Shadow Dragon (Mature adult or Old), how best would you tackle said encounter? Out of all the dragons out there, this one seems pretty heinous.

Dusk Eclipse
2013-11-07, 10:26 AM
Get Negative Energy protection for the whole party.

Brookshw
2013-11-07, 10:35 AM
Since you mention they're under 14 I'm assuming they're high level, over 10 at least. By that point its time to invest in some deathward items.

nedz
2013-11-07, 11:57 AM
Shadow Dragons are infamous, but they're only really a danger when combined with something else.

Urpriest
2013-11-07, 01:46 PM
Shadow Dragons are infamous, but they're only really a danger when combined with something else.

Eh, total concealment is pretty dangerous if you don't pack something to deal with it. If you can't target the guy you lose a lot of options.

JaronK
2013-11-07, 01:48 PM
As always, hitting a dragon with Lahm's Finger Darts is a pretty good encounter ending move.

JaronK

sleepyphoenixx
2013-11-07, 03:53 PM
If you have prep time enchant a few rocks with Celestial Brilliance (BoED). The spell lasts 1 day/level, lights up a 120ft radius (and harms undead and evil outsiders too). It has no cost so it's a nice downtime spell.

nedz
2013-11-07, 04:05 PM
Eh, total concealment is pretty dangerous if you don't pack something to deal with it. If you can't target the guy you lose a lot of options.

The point I was trying to make is that their breath weapon is a force multiplier.

ddude987
2013-11-07, 04:44 PM
At the level they are at, something like 11 or 12 I presume? They should all have soulfire or some other way of stopping negative levels and energy damage.

nedz
2013-11-07, 08:16 PM
At the level they are at, something like 11 or 12 I presume? They should all have soulfire or some other way of stopping negative levels and energy damage.

Well maybe, but I wouldn't expect them to have those defences up if they are not forewarned. The Shadow Dragon does have stealth too.

Xaragos
2013-11-08, 02:19 AM
For this group it is completely unexpected with the worry that if it is not dealt with now, it may enter the fray at an inopportune time (like nedz warned)

If the beast is asleep, are there any things we can do to take advantage of that? We do have a rogue/assassin in the party who has that feat that prevents detection by things like scent and the various senses.

We do have some party members with Death Ward on...but not everyone.

With regards to their breath weapon. If you have evasion and you save....does that negate the negative levels completely?

Energy Drain immunity...does that prevent ability score damage or just negative levels?