PDA

View Full Version : Player to DM Coversion Thread

AzureKnight
2013-11-07, 10:51 AM
Hello Playground. I have not seen a thread such as this before so if it has been done before please excuse me for a duplicate. After many players begin playing any RPG, they find themselved in the position of wanting to try thrir hands at running a campaign of their own.

Many groups are supportive, and give feedback that will help the new DM better his game running skills. I wanted to make a thread for new DM's to learn from our more seasoned to give them a good base with their fundimentals
so they will be set to succeed.

I will start by saying this, Running a game is always more difficult than it appears. Your game has many aspects going on behind the scenes. First being the idea of an adventure you want to create, or run. It is usually, but not always the case, that a new dm looks over a prewritten adventure.

Read through it in the entirety. If you just browse through key points, pcs may ask, say or do something which may effect the pace of the game. A new dm should read the modual while thinking, what his pc would say or do throughout the adventure. See what player aspects are needed to complete the game, ie are there several undead, if so should a divine type character be needed to turn
the undead creatures.

You will usually run a game for the group of people you have played with in the past. That gives you a little bit of edge as you have seen first hand what they tend to do when they play. Caster players tend to stick to that character type while the same can be said about fighters, rouges, etc.

While the characters they play will be new the player's themselves tend to have a style of play. That can let you have a bit of advantage as you can make educated guesses as to what they may do as characters, therefor making an encounter more strategic.

Remember, just because you are dm now you cannot or at least should not use this opportunity to get back at your former dm who is playing for a past encounter that was unplesant for you. You are supposed to be the teller of the story, and unbiased to anyone. (thats hard to do expecially when you are in shoes like mine and the wife plays lol)

I always suggest that new DM's start the party at level 1. Their powers at this level are not too powerful so maintaining control and balance is never going to be this easy again. Make sure that you tell them what ability score rolling methods you allow be it a point buy, 3d6, or other favorite. Don't be the super nice DM that says all stats are 18, as that would offset the great and powerful game balance.

Look over and discuss your options of playable races. As a suggestion try to stick to core rules books. Think of it as you getting your drivers permit and your parents are taking you out to practice. You think they are going to let you behind the wheel of the stationwagon, or dadjs Lamborgini Diablo? (if you said Diablo, and are serious, I am your long lost sibling and need you to tell your parents I need one too as they missed my last 38 birthdays and christmases)

Look over the characters just to be sure the math adds up and everything and find some dm sheets that allow you to take notes of the vital saves and abilities that the players have such as elves immunities and secret doors, warforged living construct abilities etc. The more you know, the better it will be for you.

Monsters and encounters are your bread and butter so know them as well as you do the PC's. Poorly played monsters and encounters could make or break your game. Know what they can do and the tactics they employ. A drow ambush would consist of globes of darkness to handicap, faerie fire to outline their targets and poisoned bolts to cause their targets to sleep. They would not just rush in recklessly.

Rewards and treasure is what the characters crave, but like cake, too much can cause you to be sick. In general the pcs experience should allow them to level roughly after 13 to 15 encounters.

Though many creatures will drop weapons, armor, gear, and the occassional magical item do not try to get the party to like your gaming style with showers of exp gold and magical items. Not onlt will the game ceace to be balanced, but
it will, in my opinion, cause players to appriciate what was earned less. Plus if that is the way you start off, it may becom expected and will make future adventures more difficult to run.

Though this is not all you need, remember the DMG is your guidebook. The book is filled with much needed rules and sources, use it well as it is your holy grail. The monsters manual is the Necromicon, just playing but is just as important to you as a resource.

Everything mentioned here is just my opinion, and would love you DM's stomping around the playgrounds, to add your take on the subject. I wanted this thread to help the next line of DM's to have a better start than some of us did.

My first time I went to play and the DM called us and said he was sick so the group looked at me, the least experienced of them all, and said, ok Derek, your DM, what are we doing. I replied in my head, I am having a holy crap moment thanks for asking.

After a three to four hour session of the players being in the same town, interacting with one another as well as the nps, their favorite being the bartender whom looked a lot like the blob from x-men, they set out on the adventure.

The players thanked me at the end of the night for a fun night, though I thought It sucked. The most enjoyment they had was in the town where they had been doing few rolls and mostly rping. They had gotten so used to the hack and slash type game, it had become more of a game of number crunching killing and looting than an rpg.

From then on the dm and I divied up adventured, He delt with the fighting and tenical stuff while I did the encounters and rp aspect of it all. He slowly taught me to do more and more until I could run it all on my own.

I hope all new dms get to experience such a great teacher as I did. So let the t
lessons begin guys.

BeholdenCaulf
2013-11-07, 11:19 AM
Good article, the bit about trying to remain unbiased with the wife playing made me chuckle

On the other side of things, what advice would you give a DM in that situation?

I have been DMing without being a player for 8 years as I was always the only one with experience with every group I played with

We're halfway through the current campaign and after this one of my players wants a go at DMing and is very enthusiastic to boot

However, while I has experience as a player, I never had a teacher as such so when it came to DMing I was thrown in at the deep end and self-taught

Here's my question, I don't want to impose on or lecture an eager new DM by correcting him every 2 minutes but I also don't want him to become disheartened by letting him make mistakes too often

How would you/how did your "teacher" approach this?

Pathagaron
2013-11-07, 01:04 PM
I would suggest sticking to the role-playing aspect for the first session or two as that gives the players a chance to develop their characters, and it lets the DM figure out how the party will act without risking pc death right off the bat.

Also, don't be afraid to say 'No' to your players during character creation. It is very hard to take something away after the game starts. In my experience, players will not be offended when you tell them that they can't play a [insert overpowered character option], but will instead just say, "Aww shucks," and move on.

Finally, don't worry if the pcs don't do exactly what you want them to because they most certainly won't do what you want. Just let things play out. Ultimately, your job is to facilitate the game and make it a fun experience for everyone. If they have more fun telling the enemy henchmen that they are weapons inspectors instead of slaughtering them all, let them do it.

AzureKnight
2013-11-07, 01:10 PM
The first rule he told me was one simple rule, The DM is God and the rules are more like guidelines. He asked me to take him on a solo adventure where there was noone else there so there was no noob banter.

As we played he would tell me things in a way that didnt make me feel stupid, or ignorant of the rules.

After each encounter he would suggest which parts could have used certain rolls such as a save or skill check to make the encounter flow better. Make sure he has basic understanding of the ten commandments of being a dm.

1. How events intermingle
Hooks and storyline is important, But if they do not mix with character goals, they arent going to bite the hook no matter how juicy the worm may appear. Forcing a player into actions that would be against what the player sees his character not doing will dishearten them and make their gaming experience seem like a waste of time, and maybe even pisem off. Know the players backstory and use that to help the hooks.

2. Possibility and probability of events in game settings.
Yes it is a fantasy setting and anything can happen, but why should it? Example being, yes a dragon could swoop in from sources unknown and devistate a small village, but why would it? Perhaps to feed on the livestock, or occasional villager, maybe a villager found its lair and took treasure or destroyed its nest, but ususally things do not happen just because.

3. Dumming down math for faster smoother encounters.
Biggest aspect of the game that takes nearly half your time is math. Adding or subtracting hps, to hit ac stat adjustments etc. prepare ahead of time, so you can focus more on the game and less on the great killer of the game, the number crunch.

4. Know monsters as they are your character.
As a DM you normally do not play a character as well, not in normal aspects anyways. The DM should read over his monsters and play them as though it was a character he had rolled himself. Note it's feats SQ, SA, attacks, everythink he can. Pretend it is your character being attacked by this horde of humanoids, who want nothing more than to use his head as a pinata. Fight to win, retreat if the situation calls for. Yell for help if you can, remember the monsters do not want to die.

5. Its ok to "fudge" a dice roll from time to time if the situation calls for it.
Sometimes the dice gods smile upon the DM, But usually on the players. At times encounters may becomee stale and dull. Whats the fun of beating a Mighty Dragon if for some reason he cant seem to hit anything. The dm may opt to add a point or two to his rolls on rare occasions just to add some sence of achievement to an encounter.

The same could be said about the players. They cant seem to hit to save their lives literally. Access the players skills and stats vs the monsters, if the monster does a nasty critical hit which may kill one or several players, he could opt to "fail" his confirmation roll. After all it is very disheartening for a player to lose a character they have come to love playing. I hate party wipes on an adventure, but they happen. Do not do this very often but only if it is imparitive.

6. All actions need purpose.
We all have moments playing that remind us of the SNL skit 8bit theatre. look it up on youtube if you dont know it. But the flow of game must continue through all the fun off topic stuff. Make sure to try to stay on track with the adventure as much as you can, but this is a game and sometimes a little offtopic humor is ok, just in moderation.

7. Noone knows it all, all the time.
We all forget stuff from time to time, but dont be discourages because to phrase a great 1970s wise man "**** happens". If you do a rule a little wrong its ok, we all screw up and we learn from it. Just no need to be a doushe about it and make the new dm lose heart, you lose many dms and players that way. In group sessions keep notes and then discuss what is normaly done. Who knows something screwed up on may work better and become a new house rule.

8. Read the players reactions and adjust game accordingly.
If they have that look that says, I could be playing Halo right now, somethings amiss. No real telling exactly whats up just try adjusting to see if reaction go from that to, next round I am going to launch a fireball right up that monsters dairy air. AFTER and I cant stress that enough, have the players keep track of likes and dislikes about the campaign and give it to the teacher to look at and use to better educate his student dm in training. Be kind and no telling him his players thought his game sucked air. Just work with him and suggest what might help from your experience.

9. Almost anything you can imagine is possible with the right roll.
If you have a fighter at level 1 who wants to swing from a rope, burst through a window, run and do a summersault onto the mage's bed say a catchy phrase like yippie kai yi yah MF, before stabbing him in the face, I say let the rolling begin. I love these players far more than the ones who state I move at a run x2
and take a swing on the sleeping mage.
This guys has the spirit of rp flowing through him like a dwarf a mug of beer. It just feels right.

Just because your character sheet does not specify you have specific feats skills or abilities to do these things are besides the point. Certainly some feats will be dificult to do, or seem impossible, but hell these are fantasy settings after all. Let the players use some skills to make it happen, or just go with it. A failed roll on the before roll could mean as little as a missed attack roll to not breaking the glass of the window and bouncing off the wall, losing grip of the rope and falling in the large storage area for cow manure. Let players have some flair and try new things.

10. If your all not having fun, your doing it wrong.
Being a dm should bring you as much fun as playing the campaihn yourself. If you find that the experience is not that, either your style doesnt match the players, storyline was not all too great or something trivial. Practice makes for a better dm and we wont be experts after a few session. Many dms, including myself since 1983, still learn more and evolve. But overall if the dm isnt having fun it may not be his forte. Have fun playing guys,thats why we do it, thats why people create forums, sites and material. For love of the game and the fun and enjoyment it brings.

Be supportive to the new dms, and dms to players. I guess that would be the best thing to take from this.

Angelalex242
2013-11-07, 04:32 PM
Well, there are a couple theories about the 18s...

If all players in the group have all 18s, the melee characters benefit much more then teir 1 classes, who really only need one 18 to do their thing. All high stats does other things...like the fighter having actual skills! You might even see players with jump and climb and swim! Then you can make those skills part of the campaign.

The Monk Especially sings praise to god, because he uses every stat but charisma. Paladins are happy too, since they too will now have actual skills maxed out. Rangers will find several lovely things to do with their skills and animal empathy and so on. And the Barbarian will play less like Hulk and more like Conan.

Max Dex on everyone encourages more mithral breastplates and less Full Plate Armor.

AzureKnight
2013-11-08, 03:42 AM
Well, there are a couple theories about the 18s...

If all players in the group have all 18s, the melee characters benefit much more then teir 1 classes, who really only need one 18 to do their thing. All high stats does other things...like the fighter having actual skills! You might even see players with jump and climb and swim! Then you can make those skills part of the campaign.

The Monk Especially sings praise to god, because he uses every stat but charisma. Paladins are happy too, since they too will now have actual skills maxed out. Rangers will find several lovely things to do with their skills and animal empathy and so on. And the Barbarian will play less like Hulk and more like Conan.

Max Dex on everyone encourages more mithral breastplates and less Full Plate Armor.

I respect your thoughts on the matter, and agree to an extent. However the suggestions presented above was for a player learning to dm. If all your players characters are 18s, then they will tear through the first leveling hump way too easily. The dm would have to advance some of his monsters from the start to give the player's a challenge. That is the reason I suggested to stay away from maxing starting stats for the first timer dm.

We tried this method once, and though the characters were fun to play, the challenge rating of the monsters was not balanced, therefor creatures that would normally be the basis for the BBEG, and with exp adjustments, the players could amass enough exp to level 2-3 times in a standard 4 to 6 hour session. The players were happy at first but quickly understood that they would get no real challenge until mid levels, and then I has to be very stingy with any magical items given, expecially to the melee classes.

The casters were happy at first but as they quickly ran out of spells, and mages were not able to research new spells, so they were being left behind. A character that has very high stats should be a rarity, and something earned and not given. I once had a fighter that had rolled 3 18s 2 16s and 1 15. That character was epic to me as the dice gods were on my side that day.

We even used to have a SQ. Chart for if you were to roll an 18.

Str. 18 = Additional +1 to all stat related skills and add base attack to damage rolls.

Dex. 18= Additional +1 to stat based skills and all armor you wear allows you a +4 dex to ac.

Con 18 = +1 all stat based skills and max hp per level.

Int. 18= +1 all stat based skills and casters gain choice of 2 extra spells per day per level of spell 0-9 or spellbook has 3 spells of each level from their professor of magic.

Wis. 18= +1 all stat related skills and divine favor giving 2 bonus spells per day per level of spell. 0-9.

Cha. 18 = +1 all stat related skills and +4 insight bonus to ac.

Nothing major just cool little things to reward you for that hard to get 18.

Crake
2013-11-08, 05:26 AM
I think my biggest advice to a new DM would be: Prepare to improvise.

Also, get backstories, as backstories can really help in making hooks that players will go for (although end of the world works too).

Lorsa
2013-11-08, 06:35 AM
I started out as a DM so a "conversion" is a bit difficult to understand for me.

The biggest difference between being a player and DM is that your perspective on the game is completely different. As a player you typically only have the one character to worry about; that will also be a protagonist. As a DM you have an almost infinite number of characters, some antagonistic, some neutral and some friendly. Your primary focus should be on the player's characters though, as it's their story. So instead of the focus being on you, now you are the one that has to make sure the focus is on someone else.

I wouldn't recommend pre-written adventures though. Dungeons could work I suppose but if you have a long adventure that is already worked out the only way to make it all happen that way is by heavy railroading. That is both difficult to do right if you're inexperienced and not a good practice to start as a beginner DM. Improvisation is and will always be a DM's greatest asset and it's important to "let go" of the solution to a problem and let the players figure that out.

ArcturusV
2013-11-08, 06:55 AM
I started out as a DM as well... and like Lorsa I wouldn't suggest going for the adventure modules I tend to see written for third edition (Or fourth, or second for that matter). It's very... hand holding. It's very straight forward, linear, and not really built for any wiggle room other than sometimes the most pathetic of Either/Or options like you see in video games that try to play up morality these days (Paragon of Sweetness or Baby Punting Thrill Killer).

If you can swing it somehow... the first thing I DMed, and this may start to show my age... was Keep on the Borderlands. Yes, an adventure module. No, not like the adventure modules that third edition only players know of. The idea there was it was less an "Adventure" module and more a "Random location module". Where they'd fill you in with this castle, the details of it, the town, etc. A wilderness area where they was stuff to do, random rumors and plot hooks that might lead to stuff... and just sat back and let players go at it however they wanted to, following what plots they would, etc.

Similarly I followed it up with Isle of Dread. Which comes down to "There's an island, explore it". Fight dinosaurs, delve into ancient temples, make the local tribe into your errand boys, etc.

If you can find modules like that, I'd run with it. Because it does give you a framework that makes it easier to DM. Gives you NPCs of note, locations, maps. But that's all the hand holding it does. It opens up player agency to accomplish whatever goals they really want to. Which isn't a bad thing. And if you're a starter DM... is a godsend. When players start telling YOU what they want the plot to be?

... that cuts down your prep time by a lot. No longer are you combing over notes, trying to figure out how to get them where you want them to be and pressure them to clear a dungeon how you want them to clear it. You already know they're in for the adventure, what they're expecting and want out of it. "I heard a rumor that there's a legendary magic sword in a lake!" Bam, you already know the location, the loot/reward they're looking for, already tells you enemy types that would be there, guardian beasts, aquatic enemies, etc. You go home after the session, spend about 20 minutes combing through your Monster Manual for cool aquatic creatures that fit their capabilities to deal with. Throw in a +2 Cold Iron Holy Flaming Longsword... call it a day.

Building random rumors like that, always helpful. if they can go to a bar, or a temple, or something, start talking to someone and you tell them "Oh yeah, you hear a rumor about bandits who recently raided a silk merchant caravan on the King's Highway"... either they jump on it, and you instantly have an adventure for them. Or they say "Eh... bandits. Not into it" and you know not to waste prep time on it.

Spore
2013-11-08, 07:17 AM
I am going to DM in the not too distant future (prolly next year) to finish up an adventure a leaving player has started. And to be quite frank, it sucks. It is set in a kind of super saiyan Ancient India with Leonal walking around and the average commoner being able to solo the group (because the DM just spat into the casters' face by making them unable to recover any used spells). They also face two drow liches who prepare to dethrone the factual emperor and I am really looking into ways to close that chapter up and return the heroes (via teleportation) to their usual campaign and making them useable in the campaign finale our DM has prepped. This is a huge task for me since I have NOTHING from the prior DM.

But what I really dream of is an own party in the Eberron campaign setting since I find Keith Baker's books and his setting to be great, colorful and very gritty. This is more scary than I think now because Eberron is HUGE and you can easily travel for cheap (but I plan on giving the heroes half starting money or a quarter because I like the idea of heroes that just have to think about a payment rather than being the Wannabe Paladin and telling the little orphan to keep her 5 gold coins, because payment means shelter and food.

I know sometimes people itch for a fight and sometimes people want to RP but I dislike starting at level 5 or so, having 90% of commoners to be at the heroes' whim. I don't like starting at level 1 because it cuts off too many class combinations and makes some ideas "hard to survive the first level". I like it when the war veteran fighter goes into a bar and a thug twice his size doesn't like his face and wants to smash him that the fighter really has to put up a fight rather than "goku-ing" him down.

I really hope my future group thinks the same. We have a player with an eye for detail, often being partly pedantic, another one with cool but sterile character concepts, his wife whose characters are all over the place and a laid back player who enjoys comedy. Together, they'd make a great party, I just hope my love for optimized arch villains won't kill them (too quickly!) They will have places to shine, but only if they play clever (not relying on dice chances or DM pity).

Dimcair
2013-11-12, 10:43 AM
Imo "preparing to improvise" is the most important thing you have to do as a DM (even though I haven't DMed yet). I would like to see a list of things you should just have ready. Since RP shouldn't be a problem it is an encounter which needs some thinking. What if the characters go rogue a bit? You better have some encounters prepared, because when you start researching on the table trying to get together/improvise a challenging encounter things can go south and people might just avoid doing things like that to not put you under too much stress, effectivly limiting their freedom. And random Tavern brawls can be fun!

Would you guys consider, at the end of your other tips, to include a list of mundane situations/encounters? And copy paste it over from each other so in the end there will be a list of situations? No need for close explanations, just a help to identify some common situation.

Like for example:

Bar Brawl
Citywatch is (tries) arresting you\
Imprisioned, what do you do? (for doing something very stupid or, possibly, a TPK)
Ambush (Two types: Bandits and Monsters)
Small Dungeon In the form of a cave, a lone tower or some ruins.
...and so on. I would be very thankfull since it would give me a little headstart and a feeling of being prepared for whatever comes. Plus, most of these situations can serve as plot hook in case your players are in the middle of nowhere right now. In addition most of those are easily adjustable for any background. Your Small cave doesnt make sense in the flat desert they are in right now? Abracadabra, now they are ruins, you can even use the same map for it, the walls of the cave are the ruins' walls. There is no Bar but your Player still started a fight? You got the appropriate enemy prepared.

ArcturusV
2013-11-12, 06:08 PM
There is prep worked involved in Improvising like that, at least some prep work. When you're experienced most of the prep work can be done "on the fly" just by memory and rote. But early on you want to actually settle down and do the hard numbers and commit things to paper.

Locations are not something I prepare and mock up for "in case they go rogue". Because here's the thing. If you do prepare locations, you'll try to use them instead of organically using what is there. Instead what I suggest is getting something like a laminated grid, and grease pencils. Just use the laminated grid as your battlemap, and when you need to make a location you just draw in what is visible and logical on the grid. Takes you a few minutes, yes. But since you would have to do this for anything preplanned encounter or not, it doesn't really "slow down the game" anymore than any other fight. If you're into a more cooperative storyteller mood, you can hand your players some grease pens too and tell them to help you pencil in some terrain/objects. Not only does it speed it up, but it also gives you an idea of what sort of things they're expecting and getting from your descriptions with is valuable feedback to take note of.

The biggest bit of prepwork though is the Book of Mooks. I had a three ring binder full of nothing but stat blocks I had worked out for various location types. It was expansive but only due to the campaigns I had worked on. In truth you'll probably get away with your first campaign being only a page or two of stat blocks. Focus on logical enemy types that would be in whatever location your campaign is starting. Don't focus on "one offs" (If you need a one off like a Dragon, rip one from the Monster Manual and save yourself some time until you're more experienced and want to kitbash more), but things like generic Goblin Warriors (Probably 2-3 types), generic humanoid thugs (Half Orc, Half Elf, Elf, Human, etc), City Guard/Soldier. Random thieves. Things like that which come in vast numbers. Don't even have to figure out different stat blocks for each race so much as just remember their adjustments in the case of PC races. The idea is that you say something like "Oh, I need a goblin warband" you open up your Book of Mooks, there are the three types of Goblins you threw in (Sneaks, "warriors" and Outriders), and you throw them into a scenario.

Scumbaggery
2013-11-12, 09:44 PM
I'd like to throw one out there that my group, and some others, find controversial: Don't be afraid to kill players if their actions warrant it.

A problem that occurs in my group is that the DM is scared to kill a PC so as to not offend the player, no matter how stupid of a decision they make. Death happens. With no risk of death, then there is literally no reason to ever build anything fun because you can literally have your PC headbutt ogre mages in the genitals and relish your immortality.

For example*:
There are three players, all at 3rd level. They get trapped in a cave, surrounded by hundreds of goblins. They goblins, however, are more concerned with their possessions with their lives. Their chieftain offers them a way out if they give him all the money in their pockets. Player A and Player B recognize the danger and hand over their money and begin leaving.

Player C realizes the DM won't kill him and decides to attack all 300 gobins by himself. The DM, being a carebear, somehow fiat's it so the character gets out just fine with all of his possessions. Meanwhile, the other two players are now completely broke.

*Example meaning: true story.

Dimcair
2013-11-12, 09:54 PM
That was exactly my intention:smallsmile:

Listing it after mooks is just a different approach.
F.e for an ambush i would have preped an archer statblock and a fighter/sneak statblock.
Then I would draw a map on my watermarker map (can just be wiped clean) and throw in as many mooks as i see fit. Maybe 2 archers 3 fighters.

If the archers are goblins
, humans or gnolls only makes minor differences, thats what i meant by adjusting the setting/place.

But a list of your favorite mooks would help out too! As said, just a different approach, equally usefull though! ( if not better because it is more specific)

ArcturusV
2013-11-12, 10:24 PM
Well, for say, goblin mooks, (I wish I could find my Book of Mooks, think I lost it in the move... -_- ) I'd probably have something that looks like this:

Str: 8 Dex: 14 Con: 8 Int: 8: Wis: 12 Cha: 10
HP: 1d6-1 (Average of 3)
Small Size

Goblin Warrior:
AC: 16 (+1 Size +2 Leather Armor + 2 Dex +1 Light Wood Shield)
Weapons: Short Spear +1 Attack (1d4-1 damage), Light Crossbow +4 Attack (1d6 damage) 10 bolts, range: 80 ft.
Skills: Hide +8, Spot +4, Listen +4
Saves: +1 Fort, +2 Reflex, +1 Will
Standard Tactics: Hold off at range with crossbow, use Spear and Shield to close to melee if the enemy is weak. Run if they run out of crossbow bolts, exception: If fight is going well for them and skrimishers/sneaks are still useful. Primary "Point Man" on Search and Destroy/Recon in Force. Will scatter if enemy shows signs of using Area Weapons, will help other goblins (Sneaks, Skirmishers) withdraw if they are forced into melee by enemies.

Doesn't really have to be more in depth than that. Might not even use the Tactics section, but I liked to have those so I had a quick refresher about "This is how Goblins behave in this world". They're Cowardly in that example, don't want to stand up to melee, like to wear enemies down from range. They aren't all chaotic evil, out for themselves and will defend other Goblins if needed, and are more focused on "Live to fight another day" than "Add an Adventurer Head to the Collection".

Dimcair
2013-11-12, 11:46 PM
Well, for say, goblin mooks, (I wish I could find my Book of Mooks, think I lost it in the move... -_- ) I'd probably have something that looks like this:

Light Crossbow +4 Attack

Sorry about your loss :smallfrown: that sucks.
But a very nice format indeed and I like the tactic section.

Just one question for clarification about the Crossbow, will you treat that light crossbow as a +4 attack light crossbow if one of the players picks it up? Or is the +4 attack specificly meant for the goblins? It seems very strong.

ArcturusV
2013-11-13, 05:47 AM
Attack modifier isn't Magic weapon +4. It includes small size bonus, BAB, and Dex Mod.

Thus +1 for Small Size, +1 BAB, +2 Dex. So they attack at a +4 with it. It's not magical or even masterwork.

Dimcair
2013-11-14, 06:03 AM
Attack modifier isn't Magic weapon +4. It includes small size bonus, BAB, and Dex Mod.

Thus +1 for Small Size, +1 BAB, +2 Dex. So they attack at a +4 with it. It's not magical or even masterwork.

Ah IC, i thought you put that on top of it just to make them miss less. Thank you for the clarification.

ArcturusV
2013-11-14, 06:06 AM
Though if Gobbos COULD afford to outfit all their warriors with +4 magic equipment they would probably be the super power of most worlds. :smallbiggrin: Which isn't bad if that's what you want to go for. Elf army? Lucky if it has +1 equipment usually. Humans? Maybe Masterwork stuff. The Gobbos though? They're demolishing both with their magic swag.

ImaDeadMan
2013-11-14, 08:39 AM
For helping DM's of all experience levels, I would like to direct them to this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76474). It's a very in-depth guide on DMing that I believe anyone trying to become a DM should read.