PDA

View Full Version : Age of sail ships

Wolf53226
2007-01-08, 01:39 PM
Hi All,

Looking for a good source for deck plans and crew sizes for some age of sail ships, you know, schooner, sloop, etc. I have stomwrack, but there just isn't enough in there, and I am planning a piracy game with my table top group. I have both done a search on the web and a search in the forums and it seems that there isn't much or it is extremely buried. If anyone has some good resouces, either internet or book name that would be in a local library, it would be much appreciated.

thanks

pestilenceawaits
2007-01-08, 01:52 PM
I seem to remember wizards having some deck plan maps on their website awhile back check there.

here are some coastal maps I'll keep looking.
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mw/20040401a

ArmorArmadillo
2007-01-08, 02:14 PM
Look up Stormwrack, it's a Sourcebook devoted to all things water, including boats and boating.

shaka gl
2007-01-08, 02:25 PM
Look up Stormwrack, it's a Sourcebook devoted to all things water, including boats and boating.

He said he read it and wasnt satisfied. I also remember some stuff at wizards.com. ill look for it.

Accolon
2007-01-08, 02:44 PM
You might want to try a 2nd Ed book called of Ships and the Sea. I'm not sure if this has what you're looking for, but it might. You might also want to check out some the GURPS books, as they have a huge variety of settings, and I'm sure one of them would be mid to late 19th century.

codexgigas
2007-01-08, 03:30 PM
You might want to check out d20 past. I don't remember it having deck plans, but it does outline ship to ship combat very well. Its "Age of Adventure" ruleset really is the best part of the book, and it is geared toward swashbuckling campaigns, or at least that's the impression I got when I skimmed over that part of the book. Plus, it does list technology by the year it was developed, which makes moving forward from the middle ages, much, much easier.

Mr Croup
2007-01-08, 03:49 PM
I'd suggest taking a look at the Seventh Sea book Ships and Sea Battles (http://www.d20zines.com/v7/node/1356). It might have some useful info for you if you can find it.

Wolf53226
2007-01-08, 09:47 PM
Thanks Pestilenceawaits, although I found some town maps and cave maps on the site, it has little in the way of ships that Stormwrack doesn't have.

Accolon, if it is a 2nd edition book, does any one know where the PDF's reside online? Since I have heard that they are mostly free downloads from a site, if not, I guess I am visiting my local 1/2 priced books.

Codexgigas, I didn't even know that they had a d20 Past?!? That also might be worth looking into, thanks.

Mrcroup, yeah, I ran across some seventh seas stuff online, but I was hoping not to have to buy books, limited funds and all, but it does look good.

I found some books online and am going to try checking them out in the local library by the names of "The Pirate Ship 1660-1730" and "Spanish Galleon 1530-1690" although the second sounds like it is only about the galleon, so I don't know of the use I'll get. I will check them out and report back.