PDA

View Full Version : Creating a Feat in Game?

sambouchah
2013-11-07, 12:16 PM
My current DM doesn't allow any homebrew outside of things we do in game(as long as it's backed up by some form of rules in a 3.5 or WotC book). I want to know if there is anything in ANY wizards book that says something about in game feat creation.

Thanks, Sam

aeauseth
2013-11-07, 01:09 PM
I presume your DM requires you to role play for these homebrew rules. If so then feat creation would vary wildly based on the feat.

Combat feats might require months of training with an equally skilled character. For example say you wanted to create a feat called "Critical Aim" (I hope there already isn't one). The new feat might increase the critical check by 2 if you take a full round action with a ranged weapon. You might have to develop these still with a master archer and possibly a rogue (for the precision damage expertise).

Spell feats can probably be lumped in with standard spell research. Perhaps requiring multiple castings of a particular spell or set of spells. The research might become prohibitively expensive if the spell(s) have expensive components.

Did you have a specific homebrew feat in mind? If so perhaps the GITP community could suggest other in-game methods to create such a feat.

EDIT: As far as I know there is no WoTC guidelines for creating new feats.

sambouchah
2013-11-07, 01:32 PM
I presume your DM requires you to role play for these homebrew rules. If so then feat creation would vary wildly based on the feat.

Combat feats might require months of training with an equally skilled character. For example say you wanted to create a feat called "Critical Aim" (I hope there already isn't one). The new feat might increase the critical check by 2 if you take a full round action with a ranged weapon. You might have to develop these still with a master archer and possibly a rogue (for the precision damage expertise).

Spell feats can probably be lumped in with standard spell research. Perhaps requiring multiple castings of a particular spell or set of spells. The research might become prohibitively expensive if the spell(s) have expensive components.

Did you have a specific homebrew feat in mind? If so perhaps the GITP community could suggest other in-game methods to create such a feat.

EDIT: As far as I know there is no WoTC guidelines for creating new feats.

I assumed it would require lots of work to create one in game and the help of well trained professionals. Just wondered. Thanks for the help!