PDA

View Full Version : Aberation-Corrupted full class, PEACH

OblivionBlade
2013-11-07, 12:58 PM
I really wanted to make an abberation homebrew, and while there are many great homebrews like this, none had exactly what i wanted. I ended up making this extremely-hard to kill adaptable tank.

Aberration-corrupted class
Requirements: Must not be lawful, Must be living
{table=head] Level |Fort/Will/Refl |Abilities granted|BaB|Hit dice(total)

1 |+0/+1/+0 |Diehard, Alien mind |1 |1d8
2 |+0/+2/+0 |Mental unshackling |2 |2d8
3 |+1/+2/+0 |Aberrant toughness |3 |3d8
4 |+1/+3/+1 |Lesser fleshshape, Fast healing 1/round |4 |4d8
5 |+2/+3/+1 |Speak language: Ithilid, Alien mind, Absorb equipment |5 |5d8
6 |+2/+4/+1 |Aberrant toughness |6 |6d8
7 |+3/+4/+2 |Scabbing spit |7 |7d8
8 |+3/+5/+2 |Improved natural weapons, Fast healing 2/round |8 |8d8
9 |+4/+5/+2 |Aberrant toughness, Unnatural swiftness |9 |9d8
10 |+4/+6/+3 |Incomprehensible mind, Improved Fleshshape |10 |10d8
11 |+5/+6/+4 |Bizzare biology |11 |11d8
12 |+5/+7/+4 |Aberrant toughness, Fast healing 3/round |12 |12d8
13 |+6/+8/+4 |Cling to life, Carapace |13 |13d8
14 |+6/+8/+5 |See beyond |14 |14d8
15 |+7/+8/+5 |Aberrant toughness, Invasive mind |15 |15d8
16 |+7/+9/+5 |Improved natural weapons, Fast healing 4/round |16 |16d8
17 |+8/+9/+6 |Damage control |17 |17d8
18 |+8/+10/+6 |Aberrant toughness, Greater fleshshape |18 |18d8
19 |+9/+10/+6 |The mind makes it real |19 |19d8
20 |+10/+12/+8 |True aberration, Fast healing 5/round |20 |20d8
[/table]

Your mind has become warped into a maze, granting you a +4 inherent bonus to saves versus mind-effecting spells and abilities. This bonus increases to +8 at level 6.

After letting go of your previous methods of thinking, you begin noticing more of the world around you. You gain a +4 inherent bonus to spot, search, listen, sense motive. You doubt you would be able to stand much more information though.

Dark, twisted energies have hardened your flesh, granting a +5 inherent bonus to maximum hp, and DR/Law or Byeshk. This bonus increases by 5 maxiumum hp, and 1 additional DR/Law or Byeshk every 3 levels after level 3.

The dark energies have saturated your flesh, granting you the ability to shape it at your whim. You may temporarily exchange maximum hp to create melee simple, or martial weapons, or armor (all types are considered 1 class lighter for armor check penalty) as a standard action, which may be reabsorbed as a standard action to return the maximum hp spent. You receive a penalty to maximum hp equal to the equipment’s weight in kilograms (If it were made of steel) x 10. Weapons created this way cannot leave your grasp, in event they would, they are forcibly reabsorbed. Anything created by this feat is considered masterwork and natural.

Your flesh is destructive not only to the living, but to equipment as well. Once per week, you may choose a non-natural weapon or armor you are able to equip and destroy it. If it is a weapon, you add the abilities of the weapon to all natural weapons. If it is armor, you add the abilities to your natural armor. Only one weapon's abilities and one armor's abilities may be kept at a time, new absorption erases previous bonuses.

Due to your constant regeneration, your body has adapted to create large amounts of molten flesh which bond to nearly anything. Once per 3 rounds, you may take damage equal to 1% of your current health, in exchange to activate scabbing spit. Scabbing spit can be either Offensive, or Defensive.

Offensive scabbing spit:
You spit molten, sticky flesh at a target up to 30 feet away. The target must make a DC (15 + 1 per 5 hp expended) reflex save or else be entangled for 1d4 + 1 per 20 hp expended rounds. Each round, the target may make a check identical to the original to break free, using either escape artist or strength score, whichever is higher.

Defensive scabbing spit:
You spit molten, sticky flesh that bonds upon contact at a target up to 30 feet away. The target gains temporary hit points equal to 50% of the hp expended, and DR equal to your DR granted by Aberrant toughness. The temporary hitpoints and DR last until either 2 + 1 per 4 levels rounds have passed, or the temporary hitpoints are all expended.

As you begin experimenting with the power that runs through you, your flesh has become more vicious. Attacks with natural weapons deal an additional 1d6 untyped damage. This bonus is increased to 2d6 at level 16.

Your corruption has improved your endurance and aerodynamics, granting you a +20% inherent bonus to movement per turn. Additionally, when using a standard action to attack with a natural weapon, you may attack with an additional natural weapon as a free action. This ability does not work on two-handed weapons.

Your mind has become so warped and twisted, that anyone who attempts to control or read your mind is forced to make a DC 18 + 1/2 level + cha modifier will save or else be subjected to the phantasmal killer effect with no additional saves. On successful save, they instead become shaken. While you may be targeted by mind-effecting spells and abilities, you are immune to negative effects of said spells.

As you no longer are truly natural to your plane, non-magical poisons and diseases, as well as everything else, simply do not know what to do with you. You gain immunity to non-magical diseases and poisons, and in addition, gain a +8 circumstance bonus for intimidate checks against anything that isn't an outsider or an aberration.

Your regeneration kicks into overdrive upon being downed. You no longer can be killed by damage that is not law or byeshk. While you can be brought down below -10, you will simply not die until a single point of law or byeshk damage is done to you.

Your skin has become not only resistant to physical damage, but to some degree the elements as well. You gain +10 natural resistance to Fire, Cold, Electricity, and Acid damage, as well as +5 natural armor. This bonus increases to +15 resistance and +7 armor at level 15, and +20 resistance and +10 armor at level 20.

You have begun mastering the unique methods of combat granted to you by your aberrant taint, allowing you to reduce the maximum hp penalty from your weapons to 7/kg. In addition, you may now manifest exotic and ranged weapons. Ranged ammunition may be created at will as a swift action; however you receive 1d3 untyped damage per piece of ammunition you create. Anything created by fleshshaping is now considered +1 (stacking) and natural, in addition to absorb equipment.

You have completely freed your mind, allowing you not only to see the world as it truly is, but further beyond. You gain the effect True Seeing as a permanent buff, however, the sheer information overload causes you to have to tune out most of your senses. You receive a -6 penalty to spot, search, listen, sense motive, and concentration. (Unshackled mind means only -2 to spot, listen, sense motive)

Your mind has become so chaotic and unstable that it begins striking out at nearby targets. At the start of each round, units within 10 feet of you recieve a stack of "Scrambled Thoughts". Upon reaching or exceeding 5 stacks, targets automatically fail all concentration checks, take damage equal to your level upon beginning to cast a spell, and take 5% additional damage from any source. At the start of each round you may either disable or enable this ability, as well as choose targets to exempt from this effect.

Scrambled thoughts: You begin hearing ancient, unspeakable voices in your head. you receive a -4 penalty to concentration and listen checks, a -2 penalty to will saves, a 5% penalty to movement per round, and must make a DC 23 will save every round or else suffer 1d3 wisdom damage. This debuff lasts 2 rounds, but acquiring additional stacks resets the duration back to 2 rounds. The skill and saves penalty as well as the movement speed penalty stacks, however the wisdom damage per round does not.

You have decided that rather than taking dangerous blows, to simply remove the body part being effected. At will, upon taking damage, you may instead choose to take 5% of your max health instead.

You have mastered the energies running through you, granting you flesh-shape your entire body perfectly into another living creature as a toggle-able spell-like ability. This disguise is completely indistinguishable from the actual target, in voice, form, feeling, and even scent, and cannot be dispelled, and takes a full round to fully form. You gain the movement types of the targeted creature, and (Ex) attacks, but do not copy ability scores. However, true seeing shows you in your true form. You must have seen something up close in order to accurately flesh shape into them. The penalty for weapons is now 5/kg, and ammunition now causes only 1d3 damage per dozen created. Anything created by fleshshaping now is considered +3 in addition to absorb equipment, and natural, and may use touch AC instead of regular AC.

Your mind has become so unstable that targets afflicted with Scrambled thoughts take 1d3 Constitution damage in addition to the wisdom damage. This is increased to 2d3 Constitution damage if the target has less than 2 wisdom.

Your entire body is now aberrant flesh, granting you a +4 race bonus to constitution, strength, and charisma and causing you to become a true aberration. For spells, abilities and effects you are treated as an aberration native to your home plane as opposed to your previous race. Additionally, all natural weapons deal an additional 3d6 chaos damage against nonchaotic targets.

Please comment on what I can edit/redo.

Zaydos
2013-11-07, 01:16 PM
Check the stickied posts there are two guides to making tables that have the formatting and explanation better than I can do.

Moving on: Why does it get 1.5 times good Fortitude and Reflex? I can't really think thematically why being aberration corrupted would give you better Reflex than a rogue or even than say a fighter. Fortitude I can see the argument for Good at least but not better than Good. Likewise mechanically why do you feel the need to give them twice good Will saves?

Alien Mind: This is perfectly in flavor keeping but really means you should move their Will saves down to Good and use Alien Mind to represent how they're better than good in that regard.

Aberrant Toughness: Should increase at 12th and 15th, as is it scales really weirdly and starts out 2 so so feats (Imp Toughness x2) then becomes 1 so so feat (Imp Toughness).

Lesser Fleshwarp: Is the only limit to how many weapons I can craft and use in a turn my max hp? These are natural weapons so don't get iterative attacks or two weapon fighting but then again as currently written I can use a greatsword and then sprout these while full-attacking with it.

Incomprehensible Mind: Does this trigger on Charm Person? It controls your mind but doesn't give a telepathic link. What about Suggestion?

It probably should not grant both immunity and the counter-attack, though, partially because the two have anti-synergy. Also why the odd DC instead of 10 + 1/2 class level + Charisma? Finally do they have to fail the Will save and then make a Fort and Will save as normal for Phantasmal Killer or do they just get the Will save and on a failure are considered to have failed both saves?

Improved Fleshshape: Should have an intermediary where you get +1 weapons, also the original version said nothing about not being able to make exotic weapons.

See Beyond: Don't particularly like the penalties on this one (partially because you already have them set up to be the observant character from Level 2 with Mental Unshackling).

Greater Fleshshape: Drop the Con penalty, it's a 1st level spell, a racial feature, a druid class feature, and a cheap magic item. That said I'd actually have it work like Thousand Faces (the druid class feature; no disguise of gear) instead of Disguise Self.

True Aberration: Is that DR 5/Law and Byeshk, DR 5/Law or Byeshk, your choice of DR 5/Law or DR 5/Byeshk, or DR 5/Law unless Byeshk is used where instead you get DR 5/Byeshk?

OblivionBlade
2013-11-07, 01:35 PM
Thank you so much for your quick reply. Replies are in Bold.

Check the stickied posts there are two guides to making tables that have the formatting and explanation better than I can do.
Managed to reverse-engineer a table from another thread.

Moving on: Why does it get 1.5 times good Fortitude and Reflex? I can't really think thematically why being aberration corrupted would give you better Reflex than a rogue or even than say a fighter. Fortitude I can see the argument for Good at least but not better than Good. Likewise mechanically why do you feel the need to give them twice good Will saves?
You're right, saves are waay too high.

Alien Mind: This is perfectly in flavor keeping but really means you should move their Will saves down to Good and use Alien Mind to represent how they're better than good in that regard.
Alien mind only effects mind effecting spells, meaning it's moving towards incomprehensible mind.

Aberrant Toughness: Should increase at 12th and 15th, as is it scales really weirdly and starts out 2 so so feats (Imp Toughness x2) then becomes 1 so so feat (Imp Toughness).
Probably a scribing error on my part on the scaling, it's supposed to be 5/3 levels.

Lesser Fleshwarp: Is the only limit to how many weapons I can craft and use in a turn my max hp? These are natural weapons so don't get iterative attacks or two weapon fighting but then again as currently written I can use a greatsword and then sprout these while full-attacking with it.
you can only create 2 one-handed weapons, or 1 two-handed weapon. Also: it takes a standard action to sprout a weapon.

Incomprehensible Mind: Does this trigger on Charm Person? It controls your mind but doesn't give a telepathic link. What about Suggestion?
Yes, as it more or less is your mind reacting to a threat by lashing out at the one threatening it.
It probably should not grant both immunity and the counter-attack, though, partially because the two have anti-synergy. Also why the odd DC instead of 10 + 1/2 class level + Charisma? Finally do they have to fail the Will save and then make a Fort and Will save as normal for Phantasmal Killer or do they just get the Will save and on a failure are considered to have failed both saves?
The immunity is weirdly worded as such so that you can indeed be targeted by the spells, but they don't cause you harm even if you fail your save. Also: phantasmal killer effect from the failed save does not have additional saves.

Improved Fleshshape: Should have an intermediary where you get +1 weapons, also the original version said nothing about not being able to make exotic weapons.
True enough on the exotic weapons, probably should nerf it down to +1.

See Beyond: Don't particularly like the penalties on this one (partially because you already have them set up to be the observant character from Level 2 with Mental Unshackling).
My idea for this is what happens if you open your mind up too much? the sheer overload of information flooding to you will drive you mad, destroy your brain, force you to cower upon anything happening. This is mostly to hamper the character in exchange for giving you a free permancy true seeing.

Greater Fleshshape: Drop the Con penalty, it's a 1st level spell, a racial feature, a druid class feature, and a cheap magic item. That said I'd actually have it work like Thousand Faces (the druid class feature; no disguise of gear) instead of Disguise Self.
Probably worded it wrong on my part, but since it's fleshshaping, IE you BECOME the target, you are pretty much that character. you can use fleshshape to become an angel, and be seen as an angel through everything but true seeing. Also: these disguises are immune to dispel magic.

True Aberration: Is that DR 5/Law and Byeshk, DR 5/Law or Byeshk, your choice of DR 5/Law or DR 5/Byeshk, or DR 5/Law unless Byeshk is used where instead you get DR 5/Byeshk?
DR is 5 that is broken by either law or byeshk.

Thank you for your opinion, i have edited my post with your changes in mind.
Edit: let's give im full BAB as well.

Rebonack
2013-11-07, 02:15 PM
Just a question here, but what role is this fellow supposed to be carrying out in your party? What's the goal of the class? What does he do that other melee-types don't? Why would you want to pick this guy as opposed to, say, a Ranger or a Barbarian with some Aberrant Bloodline feats?

Also: Does Greater Fleshshape just give you the appearance of the creature you're mimicking (+10 bonus to Disguise) or do you actually become that creature (take on ability scores, natural armor, movement types, (Ex) attacks and/or qualities, ect)?

OblivionBlade
2013-11-07, 02:22 PM
Just a question here, but what role is this fellow supposed to be carrying out in your party? What's the goal of the class? What does he do that other melee-types don't? Why would you want to pick this guy as opposed to, say, a Ranger or a Barbarian with some Aberrant Bloodline feats?

Also: Does Greater Fleshshape just give you the appearance of the creature you're mimicking (+10 bonus to Disguise) or do you actually become that creature (take on ability scores, natural armor, movement types, (Ex) attacks and/or qualities, ect)?

This character is a adaptable fighter that gives up some of the barbarian's power, or the fighter's feats, for being able to always be the weapon for the job, and for regeneration. This is a front line character, that if they can't get somewhere, they flesh-shape in a bow and fire, abiet at the cost (essentially) of their fast healing.

In regards to greater fleshshape, you become the character, gaining the attacks & qualities as well as movement types, but not scores.

Rebonack
2013-11-07, 03:06 PM
I just realized that this guy doesn't have any Class Skill list or skill points per level. That should probably be noted as Skills are where Not-Casters get a decent chunk of their versatility from.

It really isn't terribly uncommon for a melee-bopper class to carry around a bow of some kind as a back-up weapon. Later in the game when Fly becomes available and Flying Barbarians become a threat that's even less of an issue.

Barbarians can pull off Pounce silliness whilst having a backup bow. Fighters can easily rock-out with an Ubercharging Tripmonkey build with a backup bow. Paladin's have their Rhino Charge lance-nukes with a backup bow.

And perhaps most telling a Wildshape Ranger/Master of Many Forms can pull off everything this class does and then some. Up to and including a better version of the Greater Fleshshape at level 12 when they snag the ability to mimic Ex Special Qualities.

Basically: this class is really really weak. When half a class' features can be emulated with an investment of less than 1k GP you've got a problem. When a class is outstripped by all the Core melee-bopper classes you've got a problem. This guy reminds me quite a bit of the Soul Knife, and not in a particularly good way.

I would suggest taking a step back and really thinking about the question 'What do I want this class to DO?' And then find a way to make them the BEST at their particular flavor of melee-bopping. Give them a few side-skills and neat tricks that allow them to do other things when melee-bopping isn't really an option.

Take a look at this abomination (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153536) to see if you can't get a few ideas. And good luck with your class!

OblivionBlade
2013-11-07, 04:36 PM
Tbh that's a really good point. Would it be a good idea to just triple the fast healing, then give vicious bonuses from everything?

*sigh* oh well, i thought i had made something interesting. guess back to the drawing board then.

*edit* might end up just caving and giving it *regeneration* at level 12. like, it don't die till it's stabbed with byeshk or law.

Rebonack
2013-11-07, 05:19 PM
Regeneration is a great tool in the kit of a melee-bopper who wants to get in the front lines and stay alive, but you need to go a bit beyond that if you want to be a useful team addition as well.

So you can deal damage? Great! Everyone can deal damage. So you can take a hit? Neat! Everyone else can do that, too. What else does your class bring to the table that other melee-boppers don't? What can they impose upon the unpleasant things that you're tying to kill that other classes don't offer?

The class I linked to, for example, is a grappling nightmare. Bad guys have a hard time getting to the softer members of your party when a non-Euclidean horror is pinning them to the ground.

The Crusader gives his buddies buffs to make them harder to target and can score AoOs if a bad guy attacks something that isn't him.

The Warblade hits like a highly mobile train full of trucks while being able to shrug off nasty effects that would tie him up.

A Dungeon-Crashing Zhentarim Fighter with the Dragoon build can nuke big foes from orbit or causes masses of enemies to cower as a swift action, throw out trip attacks everywhere, and dribble enemies along the floor like a basket ball. Instead of being a one-trick pony this guy is a four trick pony, able to apply a different style when the others aren't applicable.

Just dealing damage or being able to take a hit doesn't cut it. Find a theme and a focus for your class beyond just its flavor and go crazy.

OblivionBlade
2013-11-08, 11:50 AM
Thank you so much for your feedback. I slept on it, and came up with a dozen new ideas. This character's new purpose is to run into a group of enemies, and be nearly impossible to kill or remove while debuffing them.

Gonna add these new abilities to the character now.

Abilities changed:

aberrant toughness now gives DR 1/Law or Byeshk per 3 levels

fleshshape can now form armor

Gave Greater fleshshape the ability to let you choose on-hit the lesser of AC or touch AC.

Added a lot of abilities

Killed the wall of text.