PDA

View Full Version : New Druid character

lytokk
2013-11-07, 01:48 PM
I've been playing the game (D&D 3.5) for years, but I've never actually played a druid. Seeing as how this can be a very complicated character, I was wondering if anyone had any advice? What sets mine apart is when wildshaping, I intend to only use dinosaur forms. Also, running a Warforged with the ironwood body feat, but other than Natural Spell, I haven't decided on any other feats to use. Was thinking about improving my damage reduction a few times, but its only DR 2/Slashing.

Not looking for answers to make me highly overpowered, just mid power range. On the fence of applying the dragonblood dragonblood template, seems it would take away the disadvantages of being a warforged, which is what (I believe) keeps it from becoming a +1 LA.

A couple of you guys have given me lots of good advice regarding my other warforged character concepts, and others have pointed me in good directions for dinosaur forms. So I want to also thank you all for helping me with those parts.

Also, what would be a thematically appropriate craft skill to use in order to repair myself? Weapon and Armorsmithing really doesn't seem appropriate for a druid to use.

Snowbluff
2013-11-07, 01:57 PM
I would suggest dragonborn.

lytokk
2013-11-07, 02:00 PM
maybe I shouldn't use either the dragonborn or dragonblood template cause I can't remember to call it the right name.

hymer
2013-11-07, 02:02 PM
Not looking for answers to make me highly overpowered, just mid power range.

Too late; druid. :smallwink:

Also, what would be a thematically appropriate craft skill to use in order to repair myself? Weapon and Armorsmithing really doesn't seem appropriate for a druid to use.

You're a warforged druid, you're already thematically inappropriate. :smalltongue: But seriously, you should be asking your DM about that, shouldn't you? It'll be up to him, AFAIK.

As for your other choices, you ought to decide where your focus is going to lie. Summoning and wildshape are the most usual ways to focus for a druid. But as mentioned first, really you can't go wrong (other than not taking Natural Spell). You're playing a very strong and versatile class, regardless of feats.

Urpriest
2013-11-07, 02:07 PM
Weapon and Armorsmithing should be fine thematically. There are obviously Druids out there who smith, they just don't use metal. Someone has to work Ironwood after all.

Anyway, be absolutely sure you understand the monster rules in complete detail. Often people don't learn them fully until the first time they play a Druid.

lytokk
2013-11-07, 02:29 PM
Anyway, be absolutely sure you understand the monster rules in complete detail. Often people don't learn them fully until the first time they play a Druid.

Yeah, I had to pay attention to those before when I played a paladin and multiple rangers. Just as a refresher, I read the guide in your sig. Any sort of feat suggestions for druids? I get that combat wise, shifting to an alternate form is the smart move for any druid who wants to get into the melee range. Is combat casting a useful feat to get my hands on? It seems like it should be.

Snowbluff
2013-11-07, 02:37 PM
Druid feat "elective class feature":

Natural Spell

I would pick up another wildhsaping feat, like Draconic, Frozen, or Aberration Wildshape.

Extend spell is your friend.

Versatile spellcaster is great on druids. It's like being a full spontaneous caster.

Also, "Too late; Druid." made me lol. :smallbiggrin:

Ketiara
2013-11-07, 02:39 PM
Well dragon wildshape from draconomicon along with this guide to wildshaping

http://web.archive.org/web/20081105120605/http://forums.gleemax.com/wotc_archive/index.php/t-404381

Will be good when you reach level 12.

Darrin
2013-11-07, 03:14 PM
I've been playing the game (D&D 3.5) for years, but I've never actually played a druid. Seeing as how this can be a very complicated character, I was wondering if anyone had any advice?

Druidzilla advice (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=12183941#post12183941).

Also, running a Warforged with the ironwood body feat, but other than Natural Spell, I haven't decided on any other feats to use.

So your feats look like:
1st: Ironwood Body
3rd: {open}
6th: Natural Spell
9th/12th/15th/18th: {open}

For 3rd level, Spell Focus (Conjuration) and Augment Summoning don't really fit there. You didn't mention your animal companion, though... if this is a dinosaur theme, are we going with Fleshraker? Natural Bond would work well there.

I also like Sudden Extend (for creeping cold), then Sculpt Spell (Complate Arcane) later.

At 9th, Storm Bolt or Minor Shapeshift (Complete Mage) works well there. 12th would probably be Energy Substitution. Not sure what I'd do with 15th/18th... maybe a couple more metamagic or reserve feats.

I'd say Armorsmithing. That covers wood, metal, hide, leather, and presumably ironwood.

lytokk
2013-11-07, 03:26 PM
I hadn't given a ton of thought to the animal companion. my first thought, since I'd be starting the game at level 6 (am the current DM, will join the party when someone else takes over as DM, but due to the circumstances of the campaign, it makes sense for them to have at least met my character) was crocodile. This would be at least until I was high enough level to grab something better. I admit I don't know a lot of animal companion feats. Whenever I played ranger, I always found something that fit my character better than augmenting my companion.

eggynack
2013-11-07, 03:27 PM
Is combat casting a useful feat to get my hands on? It seems like it should be.
Eh, I wouldn't advise it. I mean, it'll definitely come up, don't get me wrong, but you don't really need the feat. A druid generally runs top notch constitution, especially if you're a dragonborn warforged, and you should also be naturally maxing out concentration, because that's just a natural thing to do. In fact based on the form you take, constitution could end up running even higher than normal, because your constitution actually does change in wild shape. It might also be lower though, if you're really pushing your natural constitution. Anyway, really high concentration. You don't need much more.

I hadn't given a ton of thought to the animal companion. my first thought, since I'd be starting the game at level 6 (am the current DM, will join the party when someone else takes over as DM, but due to the circumstances of the campaign, it makes sense for them to have at least met my character) was crocodile. This would be at least until I was high enough level to grab something better. I admit I don't know a lot of animal companion feats. Whenever I played ranger, I always found something that fit my character better than augmenting my companion.
For feats, the only really relevant ones are natural bond (CAdv, 111), which pumps your effective druid level relative to your animal companion by three, and companion spellbond (PHB II, 77), which makes share spells operate over longer ranges. Also worth considering is exalted companion (BoED, 42), which can let your AC take vow of poverty for maximum cheese points.

lytokk
2013-11-07, 03:35 PM
Another question, if I decide to not go dragonblood, how will hitpoint recovery work when wildshaping. It says I get hp back when wildshaping, as if I had rested for the night. Warforged don't get HP back when resting at night, or is it interpreted as a character of my level would?

Also, in terms of HP recovery, part of the intent was repair checks at night while everyone else is resting in order to recover HP, but with some of the druid recovery spells I should be able to make decent work out of most of the HP, but may still require repair checks. Can I work on repairing myself all night, and still regain spells? I could conceive of focusing on a menial task like repairing armor to be a mind resting activity, which is all the rest warforged can get.

Harrow
2013-11-07, 03:50 PM
AFAIK warforged get full benefit from spells that grant fast healing, so Lesser Vigor (particularly wands of such) is something you should look into.

Other than that, I've always loved the Druid combo of Obscuring Snow and Snowsight. Obscuring Snow is a 30ft radius, 30 ft high cylinder of Obscuring Mist. It's centered on the caster, lasts hours/level, is a 2nd level spell, and, most importantly, is completely ignored by stuff with Snowsight.

Snowsight is a touch range, hours/level, 1st level spell. So, for a handful of low level spell slots, you just gave the entire party concealment/total concealment for no combat actions all day long as long as they stay within 30 ft of you. This gets even better if you pick up the Companion Spellbond.

lytokk
2013-11-07, 03:53 PM
Half healing from any spells of the healing subschool. Lesser vigor is healing subschool, unfortunately. The level 1 berry spell isn' a healing subschool but unfortunately, can only heal 8 hp a day with it.

Urpriest
2013-11-07, 04:03 PM
Yeah, I had to pay attention to those before when I played a paladin and multiple rangers. Just as a refresher, I read the guide in your sig. Any sort of feat suggestions for druids? I get that combat wise, shifting to an alternate form is the smart move for any druid who wants to get into the melee range. Is combat casting a useful feat to get my hands on? It seems like it should be.

If you're going for Wildshape melee, Multiattack is pretty necessary. Improved Unarmed Strike is important as well, but you can get that from magic items. Beyond that, as mentioned, having at least one feat that expands your wildshape options is nice, though it might not be wanted if you're going for exclusively dinosaurs. You'll have to decide whether you want to get your damage purely from Str, or from things like Power Attack or Knowledge Devotion. You might also want to get feats for grappling and tripping if you want to focus on either.

lytokk
2013-11-07, 04:12 PM
Basically, I'm making a Dinobot, so STR based attacking. Gave up on trying to get a breath weapon to work while wild shaped, which ended up putting Dragonborn in a much lower priority. I did give thought to playing an awakened dinosaur warforged dragonborn druid, but quickly dismissed it as being WAAAY too complex and impossible to pull off at this level. Basically the thought was I could transform into a humanoid and my natural form was a dinosaur.

Granted, I may end up doing something of this realm of thought as a monster.

eggynack
2013-11-07, 04:19 PM
Basically the thought was I could transform into a humanoid and my natural form was a dinosaur.

This is actually kinda a thing, if you're not aware. Not so much on the being a dinosaur end, but the seventh level trade off of the fangshields druid substitution levels (CV, 40) lets you wild shape into a medium humanoid in exchange for a wild shape use/day. You can only take it as a non-humanoid, but you'd presumably be one of those. The other substitution levels are decent as well, with the one at fourth level letting you spontaneously convert any spell above first level into a cure light wounds, in exchange for resist nature's lure, and the one at fifth letting you get hands in a wild shape in exchange for nothing. None of the abilities are fantastic, but they're all decent. I especially like any option that trades away resist nature's lure, because that ability is pointless.

lytokk
2013-11-08, 09:00 AM
Alright, after trying to research specific ruling on warforged druids, I came across this article by Keith Baker, basically stating that Races of Eberron is wrong and warforged don't keep their construct traits when wild shaped.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ebds/20051024a

In a case like this, who's right? The creator of the race or the book entry? Since this article was printed after Races of Eberron, my thoughts would be the article.

Story
2013-11-08, 09:33 AM
By RAW? He's wrong. You keep nearly everything.

The creature retains the type and subtype of its original form. It gains the size of its new form. If the new form has the aquatic subtype, the creature gains that subtype as well.
The creature loses the natural weapons, natural armor, and movement modes of its original form, as well as any extraordinary special attacks of its original form not derived from class levels (such as the barbarian’s rage class feature).
The creature gains the natural weapons, natural armor, movement modes, and extraordinary special attacks of its new form.
The creature retains the special qualities of its original form. It does not gain any special qualities of its new form.
The creature retains the spell-like abilities and supernatural attacks of its old form (except for breath weapons and gaze attacks). It does not gain the spell-like abilities or attacks of its new form.
The creature gains the physical ability scores (Str, Dex, Con) of its new form. It retains the mental ability scores (Int, Wis, Cha) of its original form. Apply any changed physical ability score modifiers in all appropriate areas with one exception: the creature retains the hit points of its original form despite any change to its Constitution.
The creature retains its hit points and save bonuses, although its save modifiers may change due to a change in ability scores.
Except as described elsewhere, the creature retains all other game statistics of its original form, including (but not necessarily limited to) HD, hit points, skill ranks, feats, base attack bonus, and base save bonuses.
The creature retains any spellcasting ability it had in its original form, although it must be able to speak intelligibly to cast spells with verbal components and it must have humanlike hands to cast spells with somatic components.
The creature is effectively camouflaged as a creature of its new form, and it gains a +10 bonus on Disguise checks if it uses this ability to create a disguise.
Any gear worn or carried by the creature that can’t be worn or carried in its new form instead falls to the ground in its space. If the creature changes size, any gear it wears or carries that can be worn or carried in its new form changes size to match the new size. (Nonhumanoid-shaped creatures can’t wear armor designed for humanoid-shaped creatures, and vice versa.) Gear returns to normal size if dropped.

Urpriest
2013-11-08, 10:50 AM
Alright, after trying to research specific ruling on warforged druids, I came across this article by Keith Baker, basically stating that Races of Eberron is wrong and warforged don't keep their construct traits when wild shaped.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ebds/20051024a

In a case like this, who's right? The creator of the race or the book entry? Since this article was printed after Races of Eberron, my thoughts would be the article.

Basically, if he wanted this to actually be the case he could have errataed it to be so. He didn't, he's just giving incorrect advice.