PDA

View Full Version : Spy for the Gods

WebTiefling
2013-11-07, 03:53 PM
Updated
Sure, the gods have dramatic champions, Paladins and Blackguards, radiating with power and ready to layeth down the smacketh on their enemies, capable of slaying great foes.

And then the Deity needs some intrigue done. The Paladin or Blackguard wades in, and 6 seconds later everyone in the city knows that some big, stupid idiot is asking questions.

What is needed is a more subtle touch. Someone devoted to their deity and receiving his power, but yet knowledgeable of the subtle intricacies of the Great Game.

Even Hextor and Pelor need spies and spymasters!

Divine Spy
Hit Die: d6
Skill Points: 6+Int
Alignment: Within 1 step of his deity's alignment

{TABLE="head"]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special|0th|1st|2nd|3rd|4t h
1|+0|+0|+2|+2|Domain
2|+1|+0|+3|+3|Sneak Attack +1d6|0
3|+2|+1|+3|+3|Divine Skill 1/day, Slippery Mind|1
4|+3|+1|+4|+4|Bonus Feat|2
5|+3|+1|+4|+4|Domain, Hide Alignment|3
6|+4|+2|+5|+5|Sneak Attack +2d6, Divine Skill 2/day|3|0
7|+5|+2|+5|+5|Bonus Feat|4|1
8|+6|+2|+6|+6|Divine Training|5|1
9|+6/+1|+3|+6|+6|Domain, Divine Skill 3/day|6|2
10|+7/+2|+3|+7|+7|Sneak Attack +3d6, Bonus Feat|6|2|0
11|+8/+3|+3|+7|+7|Tricky Mind|7|3|1
12|+9/+4|+4|+8|+8|Divine Skill 4/day|8|3|1
13|+9/+4|+4|+8|+8|Bonus Feat, Mimic Worship|9|4|2
14|+10/+5|+4|+9|+9|Sneak Attack +4d6|9|4|2|0
15|+11/+6/+1|+5|+9|+9|Swap Domain, Divine Skill 4/day|9|5|3|1
16|+12/+7/+2|+5|+10|+10|Bonus Feat|9|5|3|1
17|+12/+7/+2|+5|+10|+10|Flexible Alignment|9|5|4|2
18|+13/+8/+3|+6|+11|+11|Sneak Attack +5d6, Divine Skill 5/day|9|5|4|2|0
19|+14/+9/+4|+6|+11|+11|Bonus Feat|9|5|5|3|1
20|+15/+10/+5|+6|+12|+12|Mind Blank|9|5|5|3|1[/TABLE]

Skills: Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Disable Device (Int), Disguise (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Forgery (Int), Gather Information (Cha), Hide (Dex), Jump (Str), Knowledge (local) (Int), Knowledge (religion) (Int), Knowledge (planes) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Open Lock (Dex), Profession (Wis), Search (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Sleight of Hand (Dex), Spot (Wis), Tumble (Dex), Use Magic Device (Cha), and Use Rope (Dex).

Spells: A Divine Spy's connection to his deity allows him to access spells as a cleric of that deity, though he cannot cast as powerful of spells as a cleric. Any spells acquired through a known domain are added to the list of spells he may cast, but he does not get an extra slot from which to cast them. A Spy's casting ability is based on her Wisdom.

Domain: The Divine Spy gains access to one Domain of the deity he follows. He gains all special abilities from that domain and may cast spells from it according to his spell casting ability. He gains a second domain from his deity at level five and a third at level nine.

Sneak Attack: The Divine Spy's sneak attack operates just as the Rogue's Sneak Attack ability.

Divine Skill: Once per day, the Divine Spy may add his Divine Spy level as an insight bonus to any skill. The bonus lasts a number of minutes equal to the characters levels of Divine Spy. The Divine Spy adds an additional use per day of this ability at levels six, nine, twelve, fifteen, and eighteen.

Slippery Mind: This ability represents the Spy’s ability to wriggle free from magical effects that would otherwise control or compel her. If a Spy with slippery mind is affected by an enchantment spell or effect and fails her saving throw, she can attempt it again 1 round later at the same DC. She gets only this one extra chance to succeed on her saving throw.

Bonus Feat: The Divine Spy's deity opens up his mind and abilities to new levels. The Divine Spy may gain a bonus feat for which she qualifies. Bonus feats are gained at levels four, seven, ten, thirteen, sixteen, and nineteen.

Hide Alignment: As an immediate action, the Divine Spy may hide her alignment. Any spell or effect which would determine her alignment fails. The Divine Spy may use this ability 1 + her Wisdom bonus times per day. The Hide Alignment effect last for one minute per level.

Divine Training: The Divine Spy undergoes intense pressure and training to avoid detection, and if necessary, to resist interrogation. At 8th level, the Divine Spy gains +2 to all saves, and this increases by +1 every four levels afterward.

Tricky Mind: As an immediate action, the Divine Spy may allow an attempt to detect her thoughts to succeed, but return what the Spy wants the mind reader to receive. The Spy must be aware of the attempt to provide the false thoughts and memories. This ability may be used 1 + her Wisdom bonus times per day.

Mimic Worship: The Divine Spy may fulfill any deity-worshiping requirements needed for gaining access to divine locations or using magical items. This ability lasts for 1 minute and may be used 1 + her Wisdom bonus times per day.

Swap Domain: A Divine Spy may swap a domain which he knows for another at the beginning of the day before he prepares any spells. This lasts for a full day or until the Spy reverts to the original. Any spells and benefits from the new domain are lost if the domain is relinquished. This ability can only be used once per day.

Flexible Alignment: The Divine Spy may make her alignment appear shifted in one dimension (Lawful vs Chaotic or Good vs Evil) each day for all relevant effects. At the beginning of the next day, her alignment returns to normal, though it can then be shifted again.

Mind Blank: The Divine Spy is continually under the effect of a Mind Blank spell granted by her deity. She may activate or deactivate the effect as a standard action.

WebTiefling
2013-11-08, 01:25 PM
There, I think I have it done.

Notes:

The higher than normal Saves are intended. A spy's purposeful and rigorous training builds these. The Spy's main goal is to not get caught, and so his saves are higher than normal.

The character is designed less toward dungeon diving than for intrigue and stealthily moving about the places he isn't allowed to go. Hence the lack of trap detection abilities and some of the feats like uncanny dodge and evasion.

Thoughts?

Ra_Va
2013-11-08, 03:45 PM
I am by no means an expert on on such things but it looks good. My only ideas are more of a suggestion based on how I would try to make such a class.

Because of the nature of the 'Mimic Worship' ability, I personally would add that a material component like a 'Holy Symbol' or something else benign but connected to the God in the requirement.

I personally would also tone down the BAB a smidgen but is probably unnecessary

LordErebus12
2013-11-08, 04:00 PM
who needs rogue when we have this class...:smallfrown:

General Patton
2013-11-08, 04:12 PM
Hide Alignment doesn't even last a minute, except at really high levels. Not even then because this class isn't SAD enough to have Cleric-high Wisdom. On the other hand, a CL 1 Detect Alignment spell can go for a full 10 minutes. Obviously, religious personnel know that Divine Spies exist, because they have their own, so standard policy would be at least a full minute scan to outlast the Spy's power, rendering it almost useless.

JeenLeen
2013-11-08, 04:19 PM
Hide Alignment: As an immediate action, the Divine Spy may hide her alignment. Any spell or effect which would determine her alignment fails. The Divine Spy may use this ability 1 + her Wisdom bonus times per day. The Hide Alignment effect last for one round.

Tricky Mind: As an immediate action, the Divine Spy may allow an attempt to detect her thoughts to succeed, but return what the Spy wants the mind reader to receive. The Spy must be aware of the attempt to provide the false thoughts. This ability may be used 1 + her Wisdom bonus times per day.

Mimic Worship: The Divine Spy may fulfill any deity-worshiping requirements needed for gaining access to divine locations or using magical items. This ability lasts for 1 minute and may be used 1 + her Wisdom bonus times per day.

Flexible Alignment: The Divine Spy may shift her alignment in one dimension (Lawful vs Chaotic or Good vs Evil) each day for all relevant effects. At the beginning of the next day, her alignment returns to normal, though it can then be shifted again.

Swap Domain: A Divine Spy may swap a domain which he knows for another at the beginning of the day before he prepares any spells. This lasts for a full day or until the Spy reverts to the original. Any spells and benefits from the new domain are lost if the domain is relinquished.

Mind Blank: The Divine Spy is continually under the effect of a Mind Blank spell. She may activate or deactivate the effect as a free action.
Comments on the above portions:

Hide Alignment - lasting one round makes this fairly useless unless you know someone is casting Detect X. Maybe make it a free action or last a minute? Or, alternatively, have it be part of a chain that powers up as they level up?
I'd say just give them Undetectable Alignment as a spell-like, usable Wisdom + x times per day or for x minutes per day.
Lastly, you may want it not to make the spell fail, but instead give a true neutral result. If it fails, the caster knows something is up.

Tricky Mind - seems strong, although having to be aware probably balances it. If they make a Will save to resist a mind-reading power they were not aware of, and thus become aware of it, should they be able to then willingly 'fail' their save and let the person get false memories?
On that note, can false memories be given, or just selective yet true memories. I assume the former, but the wording is unclear.

Mimic Worship -- is this basically auto-success on Use Magic Device in those circumstances? Or is it meant to extend to social circumstances such as pretending to be clergy of Hextor to access a temple?

Flexible Alignment -- should probably mean "make alignment appear as" or "treat their alignment, for purposes of spells and powers, as" or something like that, instead of actually shifting alignment. At least, I assume the Spy of Pelor doesn't actually turn evil while infiltrating an evil cult :smalltongue:
Also, this seems a power-up of Hide Alignment. Maybe officially make it one?

Swap Domain -- sounds VERY powerful, at least if you choose your deity with this in mind.

Mind Blank -- free activation/de-activation seems very powerful. I'd say at least a standard action, like raising or lowering spell resistance. One of the downsides of wizards casting Mind Blank is that you cannot selectively take it off and put it back without recasting. Seems like a rogue shouldn't have that ability.

Maybe give them half a rogue's Sneak Attack progression? Spells should more than make up for that.

WebTiefling
2013-11-11, 09:38 AM
Comments on the above portions:

Hide Alignment - lasting one round makes this fairly useless unless you know someone is casting Detect X. Maybe make it a free action or last a minute? Or, alternatively, have it be part of a chain that powers up as they level up?
I'd say just give them Undetectable Alignment as a spell-like, usable Wisdom + x times per day or for x minutes per day.
Lastly, you may want it not to make the spell fail, but instead give a true neutral result. If it fails, the caster knows something is up.

Tricky Mind - seems strong, although having to be aware probably balances it. If they make a Will save to resist a mind-reading power they were not aware of, and thus become aware of it, should they be able to then willingly 'fail' their save and let the person get false memories?
On that note, can false memories be given, or just selective yet true memories. I assume the former, but the wording is unclear.

Mimic Worship -- is this basically auto-success on Use Magic Device in those circumstances? Or is it meant to extend to social circumstances such as pretending to be clergy of Hextor to access a temple?

Flexible Alignment -- should probably mean "make alignment appear as" or "treat their alignment, for purposes of spells and powers, as" or something like that, instead of actually shifting alignment. At least, I assume the Spy of Pelor doesn't actually turn evil while infiltrating an evil cult :smalltongue:
Also, this seems a power-up of Hide Alignment. Maybe officially make it one?

Swap Domain -- sounds VERY powerful, at least if you choose your deity with this in mind.

Mind Blank -- free activation/de-activation seems very powerful. I'd say at least a standard action, like raising or lowering spell resistance. One of the downsides of wizards casting Mind Blank is that you cannot selectively take it off and put it back without recasting. Seems like a rogue shouldn't have that ability.

Maybe give them half a rogue's Sneak Attack progression? Spells should more than make up for that.

Hide Alignment: Good point, General Patton. I had been thinking of this being a quick deception technique, but all the detect spells last for a long time. I'll adjust that. I think somewhere around a minute per level. That's still not long enough to out-last a Detect spell, but it's long enough to let them hopefully escape the situation.

Tricky Mind: false memories can be given. I'll adjust the wording. My concept of the power was that the DS needed a moment to prepare the false memories/thoughts - hence needed to be aware of the attempt before it happens. Once the reader is "in", it's too late to try to push false thoughts/memories.

Mimic Worship - yes and yes. Can auto-succeed UMD for deity worshipping requirements (though not alignment requirements with just this). Can also mimic the devotion to a deity that might be required to gain access to temples.

Flexible Alignment: yes, it should be "appears as ..." I'll adjust that. It is basically a power-up of Hide Alignment, but they change at sufficiently separated levels and the effects are distinct enough that I'll leave them with separate descriptions.

Swap Domain - yes, very powerful. Lose the old one, gain a new one. I think I might chop it down to only 1 domain swapped. Still strong, but somewhat less so.

Mind Blank - it's a divinely granted status by the DS's deity. I can see hijinks ensuing with a free action up and down, so yes, I'll change that to a Standard Action.

Well, the Rogue is one of the weaker classes, so it's not hard to replace him. That said, the Rogue does have the trap bypassing abilities and the Evasion, Uncanny Dodge, and Special Abilities.

That's a good point, though. Those might not be enough of a difference. I think I'll take JeenLeen's advice and slow down the Sneak Attack damage.

LordErebus12
2013-11-11, 10:20 AM
is it just me or are your saves wonky?

What you have. -------------------------- What it should be.

http://i.imgur.com/etqkQYY.png

WebTiefling
2013-11-11, 12:07 PM
I did make the saves "wonky" on purpose - it is training in resisting questioning, resisting detection, etc, which makes their saves higher than normal.

Too confusing/weird?

Pesimismrocks
2013-11-11, 12:13 PM
You should add them in as a seperate class ability and stick the base saves similiarly to the 1st party classes.
For example:
Divine Training
At 4th level the divine spy adds a +2 sacred bonus to all her saves. This bonus increases by +1 every 4 levels

WebTiefling
2013-11-11, 12:31 PM
You should add them in as a seperate class ability and stick the base saves similiarly to the 1st party classes.
For example:
Divine Training
At 4th level the divine spy adds a +2 sacred bonus to all her saves. This bonus increases by +1 every 4 levels

Got it. I like that. Thanks to both of you.